bow shot 24-Feb-10
tadpole 24-Feb-10
Hunt'n 21-Dec-20
Patdel 21-Dec-20
Glunker 21-Dec-20
Glunt@work 21-Dec-20
Patdel 21-Dec-20
12-Feb-10
As the weather turns cold, I always break out the wool for the rest of the season. I always spray down and use scents to cover my scent. Sitting in a tree this past Saturday (OH) the buck I have been chasing all season approached with plantly of day light left. Well, he caught wind of me and returned to the place he once came. My question: do you put a light set of scent loks over your wool during the late season?

12-Feb-10
it doesn't make a difference, scentlok or not, come late season that buck is still alive for a reason :)

12-Feb-10
No.

12-Feb-10
A bunch of guys dont like scent lock I always wear it over my base layer and always have goretex on top

12-Feb-10
It wont make a difference at all if the wind is at your back. It wont make a difference if the wind is in your face... get my comments now? Scentlok wont make a difference period, waste of money.

J

12-Feb-10
no diff, scent lok is more like money lock

13-Feb-10
Its not that guys don't like Scent Lok, its just that they realize that it doesn't decrease the chance of getting winded, so see no need for it.

Stick with the wool, and watch the wind.

21-Feb-10
Use the breath shield. If your gear is good (not stinky) he is smelling your breath believe it or not.

21-Feb-10
Good 100% wool like Sleeping Indian, King of the Mountain, Filson, Gray Wolf, etc is because of the wool fiber properties, naturally pretty scent free.

But your head, your breath, your boots, and the scent coming out of your legs with your stinky boots and sock are all sources of human scent.

If you are upwind of them, they can wind you in a complete plastic bag under the right conditions.

I hang my wool outside under cover for the season after beginning to wear it. And after about of anywhere from one to six days a week of wear, for four months, even my wife cannot hardly smell anything. Try that with your synthetic wear, wear it everyday for the season and hang it outside, and in short order it will be odorifirous...stinky.

If they wind you regardless of what you wear....good bye deer.....

Garo

21-Feb-10
I love sent lok and i have proved it works, and have made people belivers in sent lok. I like base slayer over wool.

21-Feb-10
Forest bows

Would you share your proof with the rest of us. This should be interesting ?

22-Feb-10
i have shot deer,elk,bear,all down wind from me with the sent proff system i use. desent soap, base slayer, and dead down wind spray. The most impressive is the to big white tail bucks both stright down wind from my stand. I have seen it work and their is nothing you can say to make me think differnt. I find most of the guys that dont think it works have never tried it. Most dont want to spend or cant spend the money on it.

22-Feb-10
My friend up the road has spent thousands on it and swear it works. He likes to think he has places to hunt that no ones knows about and could never find him. He takes great care to find these honey holes. The question I have is how come my Lab can find him when he is twenty feet up in a treestand, a climber that he moves daily. lol, he sure gets mad when I walk in and say hi. I have done this a few times just to prove to him he is crazy to spend the money. I have hunted in light weight and heavier weight wool for over fifty years and I never have any unfilled tags, guess I am just blessed with natural scent lock, lol!!

Stay well!!

22-Feb-10
Sir if you have never had a unfilled tag you dont hunt very much. If he is your friend why do you bring you dog in to mess up his hunt.

22-Feb-10
You'll think I'm nuts:

Having done all these things (together, not in piece-meal) the last 3 years:

1)Shower w/scent inhibit soap

2)Perfect dental hygene (ask my wife and my hygenist!)

3)X-scent long johns and socks

4)Tyvek suit (including hood and booties)

5)Another set of x-scent long johns

5)Vinyl gloves

6)Scent free wash all clothing and store outdoors.

7)Complete scent lock over it all (Gore Suppresscent)

8)Boots that never see the indoors.

9)Spray down all equipment.

I still get busted.

My neigbor will tell you his experience is 100% the opposite, and he does nothing but scentlock.

FWIW.

22-Feb-10
I wear a liner suit (no longer available) under my Day One or Gray Wolf wool. Wool has it's own smell, not a bad smell, but it's own smell. On occassion I will get busted, meaning a deer will get nervous and move off. Other times they walk straight downwind with no reaction. Before I started wearing SL I got busted every time a deer got downwind. While I still worry about it, it doesn't happen to me very often anymore. Most guys don't want to go to the lengths I go to in order to reduce my scent as much as possible (impossible to be scent free), including how you take care of ALL your clothes and equipment. I don't know anyone personally that does what I do. And I don't know anyone personally that has the succes I do with it.

Until you have tried it to the extent that I have, you will never know how much it helps. If you don't want to go to that much trouble, that is up to you. That is why we live in a free country and can each hunt how we want. I like hunting trophy class whitetails, don't have a lot of time or the best places, nor am I the greatest hunter, so I take every advantage I can get.

Good hunting.

22-Feb-10
The right place ,,the right time,,,,the wind right,,,,you making the shot,,,everything else, just came along with you, to experience the moment. :)

22-Feb-10
Ironbow thank you that is word for word what i wanted to say. Bow shot dose your dog ride in youe truck?

23-Feb-10
No, no dogs or cats in my family.

The typical scenario for a morning hunt is:

1) About an hour before light, I park the car at my entry point. I'm in the X-scent long johns or just shorts. All of my gear and clothing is in a scent free pack, stored outdoors since the last hunt.

2)Hike in as gentle as possible, this is rugged hill country. Steep climbs, creek crossings, blow downs, etc. Yes I'll usually sweat (hence just shorts or long johns)

3)A few hundred yards from my stand, I cool off to a chill, and dress up in all of the other gear listed in my last post.

4)Spray anything (of my gear) that my flesh could have possibly touched with scent eliminating spray

5)See deer that have not intersected my trail (or even come down wind of it) catch my wind and "blow". Old does are the worst. Little ones usually take a chance.

Notes

1)I'm probably more careful than the typical guy about blinding in.

2)I'm MUCH more picky than the next guy about sound.

3)Swirling wind is ALWAYS to be expected just about anywhere on the block that I hunt.

4)I don't ALWAYS get caught, but enough is enough.

5)My observation is that over the past 25+ years of hunting this area, it has gotten worse and worse. It used to be that I'd take no scent precautions (ignorant) and had little problem filling my tags. Now that I do (or did...) I can expect to get busted by any older deer that comes into my wind. 'Just my observation. Others will swear to the opposite.

23-Feb-10
Scent-lok may help, but the fact is, if the winds at your back your going to get busted. Even if your chewing "wheat grass hunting gum". I think scent-lok is just extra $$ that could have been spent on more useful hunting gear.

23-Feb-10
...just edited my initial post, I forgot the OTHER layer of x-scent long johns that I wear over the tyvek (second item #5).

I'm not kidding.

23-Feb-10
Bow shot, stop eating mexican food and take a shower in the morning

24-Feb-10
Lol, I've done it all!!

For a while there I cut garlic, etc. out of my diet, and was pushing down alfalfa pills, going heavy on the greens, etc.

I think they have a "vibe" detector. When they know the old man is out there, they run to my stand, make sure I can see them, and then trot away. They do it just to hurt my feelings.

24-Feb-10
thats why i kill them. they have no respect

24-Feb-10
Rude, and unkind... but tasty!!

24-Feb-10
I always wear scentlok over my wold.;

21-Dec-20
Scentlok is only part of the equation. I would wear it under my wool and I would spray my wool down with a scent killer. I've also gone to using an ozone generator in a closet that I built just for my hunting clothes. That with ozonics, I haven't had a deer wind me the last 2 years.

21-Dec-20
Bow shot, whatever you do dont fall down wearing all that stuff. You'll never be able to get back up. Rescue dogs won't be able to sniff you out. 100 years from now someone will stumble on your mummified remains.

21-Dec-20
Wool is great. But if it come down to one day or stay home I go to nothing but washed hunting clothes, washed rubber boots, showered body, 20' stand height. Some wool you can wash but washing is way harder on wool than cotton or synthetics. Add silver threaded under clothes and facemask, use a clean pack and good luck.

21-Dec-20
Its been 10 years, I'm guessing Mountaineer figured out if Scent Lok works by now.

21-Dec-20
10 years. How do you even find a thread this old. Bow shot is out there somewhere. Mummifying.

• Sitka Gear