Catscratch 09-Aug-19
bigswivle 09-Aug-19
jjs 09-Aug-19
t-roy 09-Aug-19
Buffalo1 10-Aug-19
shiloh 10-Aug-19
tobinsghost 10-Aug-19
22-Mar-10
I have did some frog shooting and love to do it. I Suck at cooking them advice would help

22-Mar-10
Cornmeal and deep fry just like fish.

22-Mar-10
i roll mine in flour and fry in butter and oil. little salt and pepper yummmy..........

22-Mar-10
marinate in Italian dressing, wrap in bacon and grill

22-Mar-10
the only way I have had them was on a stick over the open fire, skin and all. I actually enjoyed it.

22-Mar-10
Marinate overnite with lemon juice, olive oil & garlic; sprinkle with cajun spice and grill. Or marinate in buttermilk and spice overnight; roll in seasoned selfrising flour and deep fry.

22-Mar-10
I take a knife and cut them around the joint and they hop around a lot less in the pan.

I don't think you can ruin them any way you cook em.

22-Mar-10
Just like chicken. They are also great with cream gravey. We gig down here and during the summer we have them a couple times a week. Some nights we may get 50-60 Frog legs and battered and fried mushrooms or mashed taters and cream gravey!!! Okra or green beans with sliced homegrowns!!!

Get on out of here, Boy!

22-Mar-10
Oh---don't forget the back meat. Better than the legs.

22-Mar-10
You guys are making my mouth water...8^)

22-Mar-10
Some say they tast like Chicken - so make-um like Chicken. lol

I love them legs fried in half butter half olive oil. Bread and fry like fish - - Gotta get me some, they are gggrreat!!!!

23-Mar-10
I don't think the taste like chicken but here is how I fix them.

Wash and clean well. Roll on paper towell and shake in seasoned flour. Then dip buttermilk and egg wash go back into the flour. Shake off excess flour and deep fry in 375 degree vegetable oil until golden brown. Doesn't take long. They go great with a dipping sauce. Be sure and season as soon as you take them out of the oil. I like a sprinkle of Cajun seasoning on mine.

I make my dipping sauce out of a 1/2 can Rotel tomatoes with habaneros and three tbs mayonaise and some worchestershire sauce and some fennel and some basil.

As an aside, one night we gigged 165 mature frogs and only drank 12 cases of beer.

23-Mar-10
I skin them, soak in clean cold water with about 1/2 psp salt per pint added, for an hour to overnight, drain and pat dry, dip in beaten egg white and dredge in "Sage of the Squirrels" brand wild game breading-mix and pan-fry in a cast-iron skillet til crisp and golden brown, about 3 to 5 minutes to a side, turning gently only once, then cover skillet and reduce or remove from heat and cook another 5-10 minutes covered

(skillet should be preheated with enough olive or canola oil to coat bottom well, to "sizzle" point, "S.O.S." brand breading available from "yours truly" ;-)

23-Mar-10
Yeah, make sure and skin 'em before you fry 'em.

23-Mar-10
best I've ever had were sauteed in butter with garlic!

my favorite meal growing up was escargot followed by an order of frog's legs.

23-Mar-10
battered and deep fried.....frog legs, cougar or quail ........

does not get any better

23-Mar-10
Do you cut them so they are together or as singles?

23-Mar-10
Singles

23-Mar-10
bowriter sounds like a Tn.deal to me

23-Mar-10
As muskeg said, be sure and cut the tendon/nerve or they jump out of the pan.

24-Mar-10
Clark that is a complete fallicy. I have probably cooked 3,000 or more frog legs. They do not jump out of the pan. Never once had it happen. Never once cut the tendon.

Might want to try this: Frog gigging here is almost a tradition. We went out in two-man crews, sometimes 6 crews and we gigged ponds, working out of the trucks. One man working the light, the other doing the gigging. It was not unusual to get 100 a night.

After "working" a pond, we "pulled" the legs back at the truck and put them on ice. Usually we just used the front of our T-shirts to pull the legs. At the end of the night, we just threw the shirts away.

But you might want to try this: Take about a dozen of your biggest frogs and skin them whole. Remove the head and front legs and guts. Then fry them just like chicken. I use a cast iron dutch oven and canola oil. Just fry to golden brown. The meat on the back, what we would call backstrap on a deer is superb.

The biggest mistake people make cooking frog is they cook too long. 3-5 minutes is plenty.

At one time we had close to 50 ponds we had permission to gig. We made our own gigs-4-prong stainless on 10' poles and we always worked in 2-man crews. One night, on a pond of about three acres, we put 110 in the sack. It was a four beer night just pulling the legs. That weekend we fed 45 people at a frog fry.

Best meal you can eat. Frog legs, spring mushrooms curley fries, and garden salad. My wife, a vegetarian, will hurt herself eating frog legs. My daughter, almost a vegetatrian, will match her set for set (I don't cut them half). My son will eat them all if I don't smack him with a boat paddle.

I have a friend, maybe still alive, who made a living gigging frogs. Lived in Florida,he told me his best night was just over 1,000. His wife pulled legs all day while he slept and the legs went to Miami eateries. He gave me some valuable tips on gigging. Here is one more tip. If the eyes are real close together... walk on. Them water mexicans bite.

24-Mar-10
One last thing. I have eaten frog legs all over the country. Some in LA were pretty good. 99% were overcooked. In a hunting or fishing camp you can get some great frog legs. In a restraunt, most of the time they cook them too long.

They aint chicken.

24-Mar-10
This might sound stupid but do u try to get the skin off before you fry them or do you do it with it on it

24-Mar-10
Darton, like catfish, skin 'em first.

Soon as we got one, we'd take a machette and chop the bottom of the spine. Chunk the top of the frog back in the water, and throw the legs in a cooler of ice.

Back at the house, make a circular cut just above the web foot, and with needle nose pliers pull the skin off the leg. Then remove the foot.

Batter and fry.

24-Mar-10
Here is what I do:

Cut the legs off at the base of the spine.

Next, take your finger and insert it between the skin and the meat...just under the "crouch" and pull the skin off like a pair of pants.

Next, pull the skin down to the webbed feet and cut the feet off at the ankle bone. Discard the "pants and socks" and throw away.

Frying: Take the legs and rinse off, put them in your dry rub of your choice, then use some type of wash solution and then put a different dry rub on it and fry it. I let my oil get to about 350-370 degrees and then fry them. About 3 minutes in hot oil and they are done. Pull out and put on paper napkins and serve when ready to eat.

The rest of the frog I usually throw away, but I'm going to have to try and get the backstraps off the frog.

Anyone want to give me some tips on getting the back meat off?

24-Mar-10
Are all frogs edible or, is there a specific type/types that you look for?

24-Mar-10
Don't try to get the back meat off. Fry the frog first, the meat will just fall off. Best meat on the frog, just not a lot of it.

Many ways to spend a frog. If all you are keeping is the legs, make a circular cut just above the "hindquarters" use the tail of an old T-shirt and just pull the kin off. Throw the legs on ice and open a cold one. At the end of the night, throw the shirt away.

24-Mar-10
Broadhead150 - I wouldn't be messing around with those Poison Arrow Frogs...8^)

24-Mar-10
bowriter, you keep takling about throwing the shirt away.... why on Earth?! It's just now gettin some character! LOL

24-Mar-10
I'd never throw something like that away w/o squeezing the juice out of it first.

24-Mar-10
I take it these are bull frogs, not pickerel and leopard frogs?

24-Mar-10
Oops, forgot to ask bowriter - What do you mean by “pulling" the legs. Are you saying you rip them off the body by pulling them?

Have only gigged one time, 3 of us out of a canoe, and gigged 99 that night, thirty-three a piece, but we clipped their legs off with tree pruners back at the house. I assume this is wrong?

BTW, they didn't jump out of the pan, but after skinning, we threw them in salt water to soak, and they started kicking in the bowl. Kinda freaked me out at the time, wasn’t expecting that.

24-Mar-10
Pulling the legs = pulling the skin off the legs.

Where are you people from?

Ya'll never cleaned a catfish?

LOL :-)

24-Mar-10
bowriter-

We are kin and don't know it.Hearing you talk about frog giggin',skinnin', and eatin' takes me right back to my youth in east TX 35 years ago.

It's all just like you are telling it except we didn't mess with any salad and we were too poor to throw ANYTHING away.

:-)

25-Mar-10
What we did: Gig the pond. Go back to the truc and crack a cold one. One guy made the cut, the other guy pulled the skin off the legs and threw them on ice. Every 10 frogs, you cracked another cold one. You threw the shirt away if you were married and wanted to remain that way.

Many years ago six of us-three teams-met up a little after midnight, on a gravel road. Along comes a county deputy. Now we all have a beer in our hands and more than several in our bellies.

Deputy says "You boys agiginn any frogs?" And we allowed that we were. He says, " I like me a good mess of frog legs and I tend to favor a good cold beer now and then."

Wasn't a one of us didn't understand that message. Man what I would give to be age again.

25-Mar-10
"You threw the shirt away if you were married and wanted to remain that way. "

been married a couple times, but never managed to stay. Could it have been the frog juice? ;-)

25-Mar-10
fuzzy, That's the ONLY thing it could have been, fo' sho'!!

26-Mar-10
LOL

12-May-10
The last time I gigged frogs was back in college. There were four of us in a narrow eight foot V hull and I think there were at least four cases of beer with us. Summer night, flashlights, no one drowned, but we got a bunch and about a million bug bites. Good eatin’! Good times.

13-May-10
io have a frog giggin' story that can only be told in person, suffice to say, there was lots of high pitched screaming, in the dark ;-)

18-May-10
I got me a couple this evening. Hardly enough for an apetizer for one person, but I had a great time. LOL Anyway do what hunter73 said, frog legs are some of the best eating on earth!!!!

19-May-10
I live in the desert and don't believe I have ever actually seen a bull frog. I imagine there are some here in the rivers and lakes, but I doubt it's anything near the concentrations some of you (bowriter) talk about. I have some family in Oklahoma. I'm planning to go visit them in October. My Great Uncle grows Sugar Cane and every October he uses antique equipment to press out the juices and cook it into sorghum. It's a pretty good (redneck style) time. When I go out this October to help with that will it be a good time to gig for some bull frogs?

19-May-10
package them in wet paper towels and in a liquid tight container, then place the containte inside a dbl layered cardboard bow, and then into a styrofoam container before placing the lid on the container place in a few small chunks of dry ice. close the lid tape it closed and tight on the sides parishable send it over night to me I will pay the fraight. Oonce i have received these FROG LEGS I will be able to instruct you on the proper cooking process, and feeding frinsy. taster that toads by a long ways. give me a call and i'll send you my roost info. yum yum fry them up with some fresh mushrooms.

09-Aug-19
Sous Vide! :)

Someone nailed it early; role in flour, fry in butter/oil, salt and pepper.

09-Aug-19
Big Spring Mill A1 seasoned flour and fry

09-Aug-19
drink a 12 pk and dip, roll, fry then close your eyes and think of KFC, works every time.

09-Aug-19
I’d eat frog legs any day of the week over KFC!

10-Aug-19
t-roy +1

10-Aug-19
You got that right. One of the prettiest wild game meats out there!!!

10-Aug-19
Can you do the same with toads...asking for a friend! HAHA!

• Sitka Gear