JayG@work 09-Sep-10
lewis 09-Sep-10
ericolson 09-Sep-10
Psychojeeper 09-Sep-10
loudog 09-Sep-10
06-Sep-10

rage horn's embedded Photo
rage horn's embedded Photo
MY UNCLE WAS SHOOTING HIS BOW YESTERDAY AND HAD A ARROW BLOW UP ON HIM. HE HAD BEEN SHOOTING THIS ARROW FOR AT LEAST A WEEK OR SO WITH NO MISSED TARGET SHOTS. MAKE SURE U GUYS FLEX YOUR ARROWS AND CHECK THEM!!! HE WAS COMING OUT TO MT TO ELK HUNT WITH ME TURSDAY WELL THATS NOT HAPPENING NOW. BE CAREFULL GUYS

06-Sep-10
Holy OUCH !!!!!

06-Sep-10
Holy crap!! I JUST posted a thread about a splintered arrow....and then I see this!! Unbelievable!! However, as crazy as it sounds, it could have been worse....it looks like he was shooting target tips....imagine what a broadhead would have done!!

06-Sep-10
that's it, i'm getting a crossbow:)

06-Sep-10
OUCH!!

06-Sep-10
wow...that is a very serious injury. That may plaque him forever...good he missed the radial artery

06-Sep-10
be carefull ryanrc, we are not allowed to say the word crossbow.

06-Sep-10
Nasty! Hope he recovers well, thanks for the info. One reason I still shoot the lo-tech aluminuminums.... less likely to come apart.

06-Sep-10
I just got off a elbow surgery, tell the young lad to have a lot of patience with his rehab and PT. don't push the process. All the feelings will eventually come back, your a bowhunter, so patience will come a lot easier for you than most. Good luck

07-Sep-10
Talked to Louie Monday, he was shooting 3-D when it happened. The arrow came apart when he released, and the shaft went trough his wrist. The arrow was still attached to the bowstring after it happen. He didn’t notice anything wrong with the arrow before he shot it. After 2-½ hour surgery they had got most of the carbon fibers out. One piece was next to the nerve that went to his index finger. At this point he has no feeling in that finger but every thing else is working at this time. Unfortunately he was headed to MT for an elk hunt this Thursday. Moral of the story is we all need to be flexing our arrows more often.

07-Sep-10
WOW...That sucks. Hope he has a speedy and full recovery.

07-Sep-10
This is only my second season with a bow. I practice all the time and never knew about flexing my arrows. How much pressure do you use?

07-Sep-10
yuck thanks for the reminder when you visit him tell him hes gonna have to retune looks like a tail left tare youll have to move his rest a little.lol.but seriously if that doesnt give you target panic i dont think youll never get it!

07-Sep-10
Yikes! I hope your uncle is able to recover both physically and psychologically from that one.

I'm surprised these accidents don't happen more often with the way we keep pushing the speed/spine envelope.

GG

07-Sep-10
WOW, Hope he gets better soon. Sorry to hear about this. Prayer sent his way for a quick recovery.

07-Sep-10
Dang! Hope he gets well fast.

07-Sep-10
Ouuuuch big time... It seesm like when I see these arrow blow ups they are straight carbons they can be nasty. I shoot FMJ's my guess is the chance of blow ups are allot less likely with the alum. covering. I have heard of people with lifelong problems from little carbon fibers they can never get out

07-Sep-10
Ouch, hope he heals up and the Elk hunt will be waiting for him next year. I am not sure but there should be a medical form to get his $$$ back from MT.

08-Sep-10
My friend Shad had an arrow through the hand like that. Takes quite a bit of work to get all the pieces of carbon fiber out.

On the note of flexing your arrows, don't be so sure it was the arrow. In Shad's case it was an arrow between the rest and the drop away rest that caused the arrow to explode.

It's actually quite easy to do with certain launchers, but not sure that was the issue, just worth a look into.

Tell your uncle good luck and I'll be praying for him, maybe even to get an arrow off on an elk in Montana this year. Shad shot an antelope the next day even with a blow up just like the one pictured above. Crazy, but I saw the pics of both at the same time.

Cheers, Pete

08-Sep-10
That is scary looking. I thought I had cured my target panic, but next tomorrow when I go shoot the bow we'll see whether or not I'll be able to focus on the shot???

I shoot Gold Tip Series 22's which are 100% carbon. I haven't bought arrows in three years. I would guess that each arrow I'm shooting has been shot thousands of times. I have never had an arrow "blow-up" on me. Should I be concerned? I do flex them from time to time, but certainly not before every shot as the manufacturer would suggest.

08-Sep-10
i've had 3 arrows come apart on me in about the same location. 2 were st axis and one a GT 7595. i feel lucky that i came out unscathed accept for getting a little tp on the next few shots.

my friend had the same thing happen to him recently and it took a month before he could shoot again.

08-Sep-10
I had a "Gold Tip" break on me a couple years ago and hit me in the same spot. Luckily mine was not as bad but I have a scar that will be with me forever.

08-Sep-10
Wow, hope he recovers quickly.

nd

08-Sep-10
Ouch! Seeing these types of injuries always make me want to start wearing a leather glove on my bow hand when I shoot. It might be worth it in the long run, after seeing yet another one.

08-Sep-10
This is not the first post we have seen like this either..

08-Sep-10
Looks like a future advertisement for FMJ's?

09-Sep-10
Ragehorn...WOW!!! Hope he recovers fully! How old were the arrows? Were they spined correctly for the bow? Not a criticism by any means, just asking for my own protection...

09-Sep-10
At least he got good penetration.

Sorry, couldn't resist. ;-)

GG

09-Sep-10
Predator makes a good point.

Any details would be helpfull to all of us.

I too hope he recovers quickly, and fully.

Tell him to get back on the horse asap!!!

09-Sep-10
Oh Man, that is terrible. I hope he heals up okay. Jay

09-Sep-10
OUCH!!!Prayers for a speedy recovery sent from Tn.Be careful out there.Lewis

09-Sep-10
That hurts just looking at. Many wishes for a speedy recovery.

09-Sep-10
"I'm surprised these accidents don't happen more often with the way we keep pushing the speed/spine envelope"

With the draw weight,arrow length and broadhead weight I shoot Im right at the breaking point of needing/using 5575's or 7595's acording to GT's chart. Usually I go with the lighter spine, but these pics make me want to err on the side of the heavier for the sake of safety.

I'll pray for a speedy and thorough recovery.

09-Sep-10
This ARROW (GOLDTIP HT HUNTER) WAS 3 YEARS OLD. IT LOOKED GOOD AND WAS SHOT 15 TO 20 TIMES THAT DAY BEFORE EXPLODING ON RELEASE. THE ARROW WAS THE CORRECT SPLINE FOR THE WEIGHT AND DRAW LENTH OF THE BOW.

THE ARROW WAS NOT CHECKED BY BENDING AND SPINING THE ARROW AND LISTENING FOR ANY SOUND IT MIGHT MAKE. I DO A VISUAL INSPECTION THEN JUST FLEX THEM AND LOOK FOR ANY THING FUNNY(CRACKS,LINES,NICKS,ECT.)

I HAVE BEEN A BOW SHOOTER FOR 25 YEARS AND THIS IS THE FIRST ARROW THAT HAS BROKE ON ME. I THANK EACH AND EVERY ONE OF YOU FOR YOUR PRAYERS AND GOOD WISHES... SAFE SHOOTING AND CHECK THOSE ARROWS

• Sitka Gear