Nick Muche 06-Feb-20
Birddog75 09-Feb-20
wooddamon1 09-Feb-20
plenty coups 10-Feb-20
35-Acre 10-Feb-20
ELKMAN 12-Feb-20
Ok...Russ 12-Feb-20
12-Sep-10
I just made a batch of 3 lbs of deer meat mixed with hi Mountain Original mix. I told my brother in law and he said he tried it once and it was bland. Anyone else ever used it, and what did you think? I may take half of the meat and add some worchester sauce, brown sugar, soy sauce and cayenne pepper. The other half I will leave as prepared to see how it turns out.

I followed the instructions exactly, even used an accurate scale to weigh the meat, my BIL said he wasn't sure if he did....probably not.

I just don't want to make a big batch of jerky with marginal results. I usually make my own mix, just thought I would try a commercially made mix because I thought I had read positive reviews on Hi Mountain.

Thanks

12-Sep-10
If you followed the instructions closely, and don't overcook it, it will be some of the best jerky you'll ever taste.

12-Sep-10
It is all I use. Make sure to cover it well. I lay it in a baking sheet, shake over one side, flip it and do the other then put it in a bowl with lid. The longer you leave it in the fridge (48 to 72 hours max) the stronger it is. I leave it for 48 myself. 180-200 degrees and 3 hours and it is great every time. Don't over cook. Check after 2 hours about every 15 minutes to remove the smaller pieces thaat get done sooner. I use apple chips in my smoker and that gives it a little sweet coating. Have fun!

12-Sep-10
X2 what Stekewood said.

12-Sep-10
Great, thanks for the fast replies, I'm going to leave it just the way it is and not mess with it. I did follow the instructions very closely. I'll be letting sit in the fridge for about 48 hours then onto the dehydrator.

I figure I will have some more meat for jerky in about 2 weeks, once the season opens!

Kurt

12-Sep-10
are you making ground meat jerky with dry mix or sliced meat and wet marinade?

the only bland ones I've tasted are the dry mixes used for ground meat, never had Hi Mountain though

a friend of mine always makes half the batch of sliced jerky with steak sauce or a store brand beef marinade instead of water

it comes out strong but you just can't put it down, try it out sometime

good luck, let us know how it goes

12-Sep-10
That's all I use. I like the Cajun the best. I mix it, put it in the refrigerator over night then put it in the dehydrator for about 6 hours. No set time I just check it went I get at about 5.5 hrs.

12-Sep-10
I use the same stuff and as long as you follow the directions it is the berries. It is actually worse if you get too much of the cure or the spices in the meat. You can't even choke it down like that.

My favorite is garlic and cracked pepper.

12-Sep-10
I'm using sliced meat, not ground. Now I'm looking forward to the results. I'll be sure to post my opinion once I try some.

Kurt

12-Sep-10
It is the only stuff i use for jerky,started out using it for all my ducks and geese i shot,just ground them up into burger and mixed with hi mountain season.I never would have guessed that you could ever make duck and geese taste good but i would give the jerky to everyone in my family and they were floored when i told them what it was!Its some good stuff for deer,my favorite is sweet&spicy.

13-Sep-10
I've had great results using Hi-Mountain. Hickory and cracked pepper are my favorites.

13-Sep-10
KS - Would you mind sharing your process for the ducks and geese?

13-Sep-10
I use it for geese as well but I don't grind them. I cut them thin shot ways across the breast. If you cut long ways the meat grain is not right and they just fall apart. Follow the instructions, fantastic jerky. I mix them up, leave them sit overnight and then use both my smoker and the oven. The smoker takes longer but taste better. The oven is faster and does taste good but not as good as the smoker. I use drying racks in the oven and just put them on baking sheets. Better air circulation around the meat.

13-Sep-10
I do like the texture of jerky when it's stripped out instead of grinded, but I feel better about the curing process when it's all ground together. I can't explain why, though.

13-Sep-10
peteymit i like to grind mine up because i used to go hunting every weekend both days and my buddies would always give me all the birds so i ended up with a lot of freakn waterfowl!It just really made the process a lot quicker,plus it made for softer jerky for the people that didnt like the tuff stuff.I would grind mine up right into 2# burger game bags from cabelas and freeze it,then when i wanted to make a batch i would thaw some out,mix with the hi mt and use a jerky shooter right onto dehydrator trays and run at 155 deg for 7 to 8 hours.My dehydrator will do 2# of meat at a time(thus the 2# bags).Quick and easy and gone as fast as i can make it!

13-Sep-10
Great results with the ground. pepper and original are by far our favorites, also we only add 1/3 of the salt cure when making batch.

14-Sep-10
I use original and hickory with great results. I do mine on my smoker and use just a little wood to give some smoke flavor.

14-Sep-10
I made my batch exactly as the directions called for in a dehydrator. Overall I like the flavor a lot. A bit salty, but still has a nice jerky flavor. On a scale of 1-10, I'd give it a solid 8. The ease of use is convenient, and it is a good product. I may try a sweeter version, and I would definitely recommend Hi Mountain.

My personal version (which I have no exact recipe) is just a concoction of Worcester sauce, brown sugar, cayenne pepper, black pepper, salt, A-1 Steak Sauce and garlic powder. My version, since it is in a liquid, takes twice as long to dehydrate, but is very tasty. The Hi Mountain version only took 6 hours to achieve the perfect, leathery texture I like.

Thanks, and good luck with your jerky making!

15-Sep-10
I just did 26 pounds of last years leftover ground meat. Hi Mountain is all I use. Many people love the jerky, no complaints yet. I use the "Jerky Shooter" kit so it lays the strips out to the proper width. I also use a dehydrator.

Inferno, Teriyaki, and the black pepper are the favorites so far.

15-Sep-10
I've tried all their blends and I now mix half pepper blend and half original. I only use ground venison and a jerky shooter.

15-Sep-10
i to cut the cure down but also add southwest seasoning to it and for my friends who like it hot i put the hottest peppers i can get into it.

15-Sep-10
I've only made the ground jerky and I experimented with the original, Garlic, and Mesquite. The Garlic with some extra ground pepper, and some A1 was the best. The hot pepper is very hot unless you are cajun or a Texas Chili Connisseur.

Definately don't over do the cure...It gets really salty if you do.

My main problem has been I get it too dry and brittle.

07-Aug-19

DeerNut's Link
I have been suffering from HIV and Genital Herpes for the past 3 years and 8 months, and ever since then i have been taking series of treatment but there was no improvement until i came across testimonies of Dr Uribhor on how he has been curing different people from different diseases all over the world, then i contacted him as well. After our conversation he sent me the medicine which i took according to his instructions. When i was done taking the herbal medicine i went for a medical checkup and to my greatest surprise i was cured from Herpes. My heart is so filled with joy. If you are suffering from Herpes or any other disease you can contact Dr Uribhor today on this Email address: [email protected] or whatsapp number +2348102558553

Dr. Uribhor also cures:

1. HEPATITIS A,B,C 2. HERPES 1/2 3.DIABETES 4.STROKE. 5.STDS and STI 6. MARRIAGE COUNSELLING 7.LOVE SPELL CASTING 8.JOB PROMOTION SPELLS 9.MARITAL PROBLEM 10.MAGIC MONEY SPELLS

contact Dr Uribhor today on this Email address: [email protected] or whatsapp number +2348102558553

07-Aug-19
WTF...……………...

07-Aug-19
do yourself's a favor & just give this recipe a try I think you'll be impressed. I usually do 2 flat peices from a deer ham & slice 1/4 thick lengthways with the grain. in a gallon Ziploc put 1/2 cup Morton tender quick & 2 cups water & 1/2 cup brown sugar & sliced venison remove all air & refrigerate overnight then rince meat thouroly then in same bag put 1 cup brown sugar & 1 to 3 tablespoons fresh ground black pepper I prefer 3 but I like pepper & add meat & mix thouroly & again remove all air & back in fridge overnight then smoke. I prefer lump coal & maskeet & be careful not to over cook 200 degrees for 2 to 3 hours depends on atmospheric conditions. sometimes simple is better lots of folks say my jerky is the best they've ever had & always offer to pay for it if I'd do that

07-Aug-19
Ghost Bird x2

07-Aug-19
If you leave the High Mountain on your meat long enough, it will clear that herpes right up.

07-Aug-19

Paul@thefort's embedded Photo
Goose jerky and then I add some Teriyaki for more flavor but try not to over power the natural flavor of the meat.
Paul@thefort's embedded Photo
Goose jerky and then I add some Teriyaki for more flavor but try not to over power the natural flavor of the meat.

07-Aug-19
Midwest... LOL!!

That was some odd s--t up there. How does that happen? One day it's hone your writing skills, next day it's cure your herpes and hiv. Weird stuff.

07-Aug-19
Lmao, midwest!!! I was gonna recommend a little salt peter!! :)

07-Aug-19
LMAO @midwest!!

If it doesn’t “cure” it, at least it will take your mind off of having it for a little while!

07-Aug-19
Yes, I agree with bland. We here in Wisconsin like it with more of punch than the recipe calls for. Everyone tastes are different I guess, but if you are from Wisconsin or Minnesota I think you will find it bland. We spice ours up with some finely ground hot peppers we grow in our garden, habaneros work awesome if you like it hot. If you are using the pepper mix, add more pepper, etc. BC

07-Aug-19
Hi country is different than hi mountain. I think Paul's picture of hi country from Lincoln Montana is much better than hi mountain you buy at cabelas. That is my recollection anyway! Enjoy either one though!

08-Aug-19
Hi Mountain and Hi Country are all I use. I grind my jerky meat because I like it easier to chew. dry it in the oven and keep an eye on it so it doesn't get too dry and you should have some darn good jerky. I like the original mix(es) the best.

05-Feb-20
Just wanna say a big thank you Neme Amber for introducing me to Dr Emmanuel the great HERBALIST that helped me prepare home remedies that cured my herpes (HSV 2). I was infected with HSV 2 for the past two years and i was unable to get a better job cos all the company i was to get employed checked our blood test and found out that i was positive to GENITAL HERPES and i loosed employment. So i was desperate to get a cure so that i can live normal and get my job training. i earlier made some research and i contacted some doctors online but they keep on asking for money for courier after that they'll tell you that tax and so more so i became broke and frustrated. One day i was less busy so i decided to make latest research on herpes cure and i found a site  were everyone was talking about DR Emmanuel and herbs ability to cure herpes. So i discussed with Neme Amber and she explained to me that its very easy working with Dr Emmanuel so i contacted DR Emmanuel via email ( [email protected] ) and he helped me just as he has helped others now im cured and different medical centers has tested me and approved me cured. so i decided to thank Neme Amber cos she made it possible for me. and i can also assure you that he can also help you. so if you need the service of DR emmanuel, ill put his details here so that you can easily get in touch wif him. his email: [email protected] or WhatsApp him at +2348140073965. instagram ig:@dremmanuel2 my Name is Grace from US,once again thanks to Neme Amber. im fucking hapy....  

05-Feb-20
If Grace isn’t fooking hapy......ain’t nobody fooking hapy!

06-Feb-20
What the hell is going on with this thread - thought it was about jerky seasoning?

06-Feb-20

White Falcon's embedded Photo
White Falcon's embedded Photo
Haven't tried it. I have been using this for years.

06-Feb-20
If you leave it to cure longer than 24 hrs it will be salty. Depending on thickness of the meat you can get away with several fewer hours.

06-Feb-20
I usually always add additional spices to the jerky and sausage I make. When a package says Spicy or Hot, they don't mean that, so I add my own heat and it ends up hot!

09-Feb-20
Switched from hi mountain jerky mix to lem jerky mixes several years ago. Imo better flavor, my family prefers the mesquite. Always use ground venison, letting it marinate overnight, then jerky gun in a dehydrator 4 to 6 hrs at 160 degrees.

09-Feb-20
Jerky recipes sound great, I couldn't be effing hapy-er that I opened this thread.

10-Feb-20
Hi Mountain and Hi Country are my favorites.

10-Feb-20
MY TIP FOR JERKY AND SAUSAGE MAKING: (Well, I heard or read it along the way somewhere and I've used to successfully and saved myself from both bland and WAY TOO SALTY versions of cured meat.)

This works better for ground but it can also work for whole muscle meat as well.

Once you mix or cure everything, take a small piece (size of a quarter and cook it in a frying pan. It cooks quick. Then taste it. This will give you some idea of flavor before you finalize the batch. I do this with my snack sticks and jerky both. Like I said, it's saved me once or twice.

12-Feb-20

ELKMAN's Link
Look at Waltonsinc.com website. They carry an AMAZING amount of the Excalibur seasoning which are second to none. I would say that website is hands down your best resource for all things meat. The new Sweet Chipotle is amazing.

12-Feb-20

Ok...Russ's Link
Prefer Hi-Country over Hi-Mountain. Lest we not forget the good folks at Old Plantation Seasoning who provide the AC Leggs brand which is fantastic! HUGE selection and I really like their Hot Link seasoning. Also use some personal recipes but much easier to buy from one of these and adjust accordingly to your taste preference.

• Sitka Gear