loesshillsarcher 11-Jan-21
paul@thefort 14-Jan-21
Buffalo1 14-Jan-21
Medicinemann 14-Jan-21
Medicinemann 14-Jan-21
TREESTANDWOLF 14-Jan-21
Shug 14-Jan-21
23-Sep-10
I am at the Calgary airport and when I checked my messages on my BlackBerry, I had a message from Loesshillsarcher (aka Ned Greer)...telling me that he had gotten his Stone ram! First, he gets his desert bighorn this Spring, and now he tags a Stone sheep! What a season...and he RV

23-Sep-10
Oops...and he even tagged a mountain caribou bull on his earlier hunt. Way to go, amigo!

23-Sep-10
Right on!

michael

23-Sep-10
All you guys who take these rams with a bow are some huntin' hombres!

Congratulations Ned!

23-Sep-10
Excellent...

23-Sep-10
Congrats Ned!! Ready to see some pictures...

23-Sep-10
Ned, Way to go!! I think you took the real "Golden Horseshoe" and replaced Jakes with a Faux one!!! Congrats Again!!

24-Sep-10
Well done, and well deserved! Congrats!

24-Sep-10
I am staring to wonder where the golden orb is currently residing???????????? Great job Ned. Let's see some pictures.

24-Sep-10
Congrats. Details and photos...

24-Sep-10
super ned!

way to go

24-Sep-10
Hell of a year for sure. Can't wait to see some pics.

24-Sep-10
Not many guys get the Stone Sheep with a bow! Wow! C

24-Sep-10
Quite the accomplishment. Pics please!

24-Sep-10
Awesome!

24-Sep-10
Nice work brother. You sure earned that one.

26-Sep-10
Back home and will post a story with pics when I get things in order at work.

27-Sep-10
Way to go Ned!!

27-Sep-10
Congrats Ned! Great job!!

27-Sep-10
Great Job, i cant wait to here the story and see the pics.

27-Sep-10
Ned,

Congratulation!!!! Looking forward to the pictures and the story. The Stone was the hardest for me, but they are my favorite.

John

28-Sep-10
Great news!

Congrats

Good luck, Robb

28-Sep-10
Congrats! Can't wait to see the pictures and story.

28-Sep-10
SWEEEEET!

28-Sep-10
After two unsuccessful archery hunts in the Yukon for stones sheep, I remained determined to harvest one of these beautiful rams. Personally, of all the North American animals, I wanted to harvest a dark stones ram the most. I had closed the distance to 91 yards on my first hunt and 70 yards on the second hunt, but that distance was just too far for my effective range. After the second try at stones, I began to practice longer range shooting. If I could just get another chance to hunt the stones sheep again, I told myself that I would be ready at longer range. As it turned out, I found a discounted hunt for sale in British Columbia. I was set to go for another try for the animal I desired the most. August 12, 2010 could not have come fast enough.

28-Sep-10

loesshillsarcher's embedded Photo
I would be hunting with BC Safaris which is owned by Shane Black and Keith Connors. Their operation is located near Dease Lake in northern British Columbia. I flew to Smithers where I overnighted and then flew to Dease Lake where I met Keith. He took me to their float plane and we were off to their base camp located on Turnagain Lake.

28-Sep-10

At Turnagain, I learned that Shane Black would be guiding me for this hunt. His plan was to take me to a range located some 5-6 hours on horseback. A wrangler named Patrick was to come along also.

28-Sep-10
Here we go...another day of wearing out the "Refresh" button! There goes my productivity for the morning...

28-Sep-10
Congratulations! look forward to the "whole enchilada!"

28-Sep-10

The guys helped pack the horses. We packed for a good 14-16 days of hard-core stone sheepin. I must admit that I didn't keep a journal on this hunt. I was gone soo long that I am having trouble recollecting everything day by day so I will be generalizing quite abit and throwing in a few pics to give everybody an idea of things. Beautiful country chasing an awesome animal! Believe I was gone for 32 days plus or minus(didn't help my practice much).

28-Sep-10

Mounted my steed and headed out to the hunting area. I have found out that on all of my stones sheep hunts, many many hours of horseback riding is required. Lots of glassing and just a bit of climbing is necessary also(a huge understatement on the climbing aspect). On my previous stones sheep hunts, I fell off or got bucked off the horses on an average of twice a day. Proud to say that I didn't get thrown nor fall off at all for the entire trip this go round. Feeling like a true cowboy now. BC Safaris' horses were well trained and I had zero problems with them.

28-Sep-10
Fly into a remote camp in the wilderness and then ride horseback for 6 hours to get to the sheep. And you were gone for an entire month? Sounds like the adventure was worth the price of admission. Getting the animal was the cherry on top!

Congrats.....can't wait for the rest of the story.

28-Sep-10
Congrats Ned on a great accomplishment!

"Believe I was gone for 32 days plus or minus(didn't help my practice much)."

I leave for a week here and there and get picked on by patients...you must teach me the way!!!

Great job.

28-Sep-10
Eyad, Just do it. I didn't think I could nor should but did and it paid off(thankfully). getting slammed so will add more when i can

28-Sep-10
More Ned More!

28-Sep-10
Can't wait to hear the rest of the story! Congrats again.

29-Sep-10

Started our journey to the hunting camp and learned that we would be staying in a cabin to begin with. After riding the first day, my butt was very sore. I also couldn't walk normally. After a couple days everything was back to normal. By the end of the trip, I felt very comfortable in the saddle.

29-Sep-10

A view from the horse trail.

29-Sep-10

Gettin' closer to the sheep range!

29-Sep-10
Wow, that last pic looks surreal, great story!

29-Sep-10
"Wow, that last pic looks surreal, great story!"

That's exactly what I was thinking! Great photo!

29-Sep-10

This is the cabin where we sheltered for most nights. They had built it 6 or so years ago. It was real nice to come back to, really comfortable. When we arrived, we discovered that a pine martin had pushed the back window open(most likely in the winter when the snow pack was up near the sill). He left quite a mess. At least it wasn't a grizzly.

29-Sep-10
very nice ned still looking for you here

29-Sep-10
Keith and Shane are great people!

Beware of Shane's handshake though. I honestly believe the guy could squeeze a lump of coal into a diamond if he wanted.

Their area also has some great Mtn Caribou and Moose hunting on it as well.

Glad to hear you had a great hunt too, Ned! Congrats!

Watts

30-Sep-10
Great pics and story so far, i cant wait to hear the rest of it.

30-Sep-10

The wrangler would gather the horses every morning while the guide would make some breakfast. The horses were hobbled and bells put around there necks making them easy to find. The wrangler would saddle the horses as well and I used this time in the morning to practice my shooting. Horse rides from 45 minutes to 3 hours to vantage points were the norm. Beauty such as pictured was great to have to put up with every day.

30-Sep-10

Weather was nice and fairly warm for the first two days. The temp must have been near 75-80 degrees and there were a few bugs nagging me while we glassed. Did not see any sheep the first two days. On the third day, that would change!

30-Sep-10

Shane spotted a sheep on the third day. It was at quite a distance but we could tell it was a ram! I had trouble finding any animals with my optics intially, but as the hunt progressed I got a bit better. Shane would be surprised if I said I saw something(which was a rare occasion). After observing the ram for some time, Shane felt like it was possible it was legal. For a ram to be legal, the curl of the horn must allow the tip of it to "bridge" the nose or it has to be 8 years of age. If close enough, an experienced sheep person can count the growth rings on the horn in order to confirm its age. Shane decided that we had to get closer as this could be my ram. We cut the distance in half and relocated the ram. He had moved to a higher location(unreachable). After awhile, Shane said "A second ram". I said "Where?" He pointed in a different direction and when I laid eyes on this ram, I felt like I was in a dream world. This ram was big. One of those that tipped out big time! Here Shane is glassing the big boy.

30-Sep-10
.....and?!?!?!?!?.....Why couldn't you see much with your optics? What kind were you using?

30-Sep-10
Seems I am blind as a bat. I have a Swarav scope and a 10x42 Leica binos. They were great but the spotter behind them was not so good.

30-Sep-10
Gotcha Ned. Hahaha, I guess most of our equipment is the strong part of the equation, huh?

Some beautiful country you were in. Looking forward to the rest of the story and pics.

30-Sep-10
Sorry bout the time. Trying to get some pics on when I have a few minutes. Being gone so long has me running. So much to do so little time. I wish I would have taken more pics but guess I was having too much fun and just forgot to do so.

30-Sep-10

The ram was low on a mountain and we formulated a stalk. We both knew it was a very legal ram. It was bedded on a fingered ridge and the only way that I would get a shot was to come from above. Not such a bad deal but in order to get there I needed to go directly under him and past without being detected. Unbelievably, I was able to get under him and past without being detected. When I was under him, he was on top of the vertical wall and could have only been approximately 50 yards. When I was positioned above him on the ridge top, I located him but I was alot further from him than I thought. 72 yards in fact, but I had been practicing for that distance and felt confident. I was going to shoot.

30-Sep-10

When I first saw the ram, he was bedded. After I ranged him he stood up and faced me head on. Oh what a cranker. Horns curling all over the place. I tried to keep my mind on the shot and not looking at this spectacular animals headgear. As the ram turned broadside, I came to full draw. As I anchored the pin, he stood still for a second or two. I punched the release and the arrow was on its way. The arrow arrived where it was supposed to but the target wasn't there when it arrived. I missed!! Just when I punched the release the ram took one step to the right and dropped off the ridge vertically and was gone. This all happened faster than I thought could happen. The magnificent ram ran down into a valley and up the other side unharmed. He slowed to a walk and rounded a corner, never to be seen again. Shane thought he would be a 40 incher and a high 160 ram. My only shot at a stone sheep and I missed. No time for depression, we began looking for another within minutes after this opportunity was missed.

30-Sep-10
You look marvelous! The heck with the sheep let's see more action photo's of the hunter! LOL!

30-Sep-10

We headed out to some different basins and searched high and low. I believe we went for a few days without seeing anymore sheep. Some mountain goats were located and there seemed to be a fair share of caribou cows and calves. The mature bull caribou were hiding. Probably because I had a tag for one of those as well.

30-Sep-10
Charlie, told ya I was low on pictures! haha

30-Sep-10

We looked into some distant basins with no luck. I was able to locate some sheep with my own eyes. Shane was shocked and I rubbed it in when I spotted a sheep before he did. None of the sheep we spotted were legal for the nine days after missing the monster ram. We spike camped for 4 days riding around the mountain range and checked the far side. Only a five year old ram was located. For two nights, a huge grizzly sow and her two cubs fed on berries within sight of the cabin. It was fun to watch those bears chow down!

01-Oct-10
Wow, that last pic looks surreal, great story!

01-Oct-10

We returned to the cabin and road to a basin that we had not seen a sheep in. This time we(well Shane) spotted a sheep. It was a ram and it looked big to me. Shane said it was short in the horn but felt like it was most likely of age due to his mass. It was too far away to count the growth rings so we waited for him to bed down. He did and we made a stalk. We knew that due to the position of his sleeping quarters, we would be very close to him before we were able to see him again. He was positioned on a bench in the sun just left of the shade in this picture.

01-Oct-10

We made the stalk and got the wind right. I was pumped as I felt like this ram was definately legal. He looked like a stud. We closed in to 50 yards or so and had to make it over a tiny ridge in order to make a visual. Just as we neared the top of the ridge, ol' ma wind changed her direction and we felt it on the back of our necks. Shane said he saw a quick flash of white(probably the sheep's butt) and it was all over.

01-Oct-10
We made a decision to ride for an entire day to a different area. It was an area that Shane's previous rifle hunter had killed a ram in. Shane's hunter shot one ram and he had had a buddy hanging out with him that was slightly smaller but still legal. When they were attending to the downed sheep, the other ram stuck around and bedded down seemingly watching the whole ordeal. Shane was able to walk to within 40 yards of this ram and he took some real nice photos of him. Maybe I could find this unwary ram.

01-Oct-10

We arrived in the new area to find the mountain socked in with weather. The new area also had a cabin and while we were sipping on some hot chocolate and coffee, Shane spotted a mountain caribou bull from the cabin door. It was aways away but we put the scope on him and it was a legal bull(five points on top i guess). Since we couldn't hunt the mountain I was game to chase this bull. We rode out on horses and got the wind right. Made a stalk and got to within 45 yards. Oh yeah!! Fresh caribou meat never tasted better.

01-Oct-10
For the remaining two days of the hunt, we scoured the sheep mountain. A pair of rams was spotted one day but they were both very young. On the other day, a ram was spotted and a stalk ensued. We closed the distance to 75 yards only to find that he was just short and most likely only seven years old. My hunt was over and it was a long ride back to the main camp on Turnagain Lake.

01-Oct-10
I drove back to Smithers with Shane and we discussed the possibility of returning. He had heard that a sheep hunter may be cancelling and they may have time for me to get back and continue chasing my dream of harvesting a stones sheep with my bow. I got back to Iowa and scrambled to rearrange my schedule. Shane contacted me and indeed his hunter had had to cancel. I was going to try it again. This was going to be my fourth try for a Stones.

01-Oct-10
Wow! That 'bou makes for a nice consolation prize for the first trip!

01-Oct-10
Great story, landscape, and bull! Good luck on getting back up there for your that ram!

02-Oct-10
Hey ned, That Bushplane was in my camp the last day I was at Stikine River. The pilot was Harry, right? He was helping our pilot Mac, shuttle supplies and fuel. I was up there near Dease at Upper Stikine River area.

02-Oct-10
Yep. Pilot was Harry. Nice guy! We were pretty close to each other. I will work on the rest of the story soon.

02-Oct-10
Great story so far....but it is cruel to withold the rest.

06-Oct-10
Sorry for anybody that is interested in this story. I have been dealing with the death of my dog Farley Boy whom was my best friend. It has really been hard but I would like to continue the story now.

06-Oct-10
Sorry for your loss! It's always tough!

06-Oct-10

The guys at BC Safaris were great and they really wanted to help me get a Stones sheep with my bow. It has been a dream of mine to harvest all the sheep and also all of the North American species with a bow, and they were determined that I would accomplish the Stones sheep with them. So I adjusted my schedule and headed back to B.C. about 10 day after returning home from the first trip. The float plane base for BC Safaris is pictured here and a man named Harry was the pilot. I always enjoy these types of flights. Just something about them.

06-Oct-10
Ned, sorry to hear from your loss. Having grown up with dogs all my life, I know where you are coming from.

06-Oct-10

Back to Turnagain Lake. Here Shane and Keith are pictured in their main lodge planning for the hunt. They decided that my best opportunity would be to return to the original camp I was at before.

06-Oct-10

Back in the saddle again. Thought I would pose on ol' Bay here in search of my stones sheep. It was another 5-6 hour ride to the cabin. Things were starting to change color quite abit since I had been there just 10 days before.

06-Oct-10

Keith would be guiding me now as Shane was committed to another hunter for this trip. The ride to camp was towards the latter part of the day but we had time to glass a basin on the way. Eagle eye Keith spotted a sheep in no time and it was definately a ram. I felt like it looked like the ram that Shane and I had stalked to within 50 yards of on the previous hunt only to be busted by ol' Ma wind. We didn't have time to go for him so we were right back there in the morning. This is the basin he was in.

06-Oct-10

Same picture here. We went back to the basin the following morning and located the big ram bedded. It was in the rocks on the left of the green in the photo. We made a stalk but that rascal busted us at 275 yards. The ram was indeed the one that Shane and I had stalked before. He was heavy but short and Keith fiqured he was ancient. He ran all the way to the right of the picture and up and over. We never saw him again.

06-Oct-10
Great story Ned, I am really looking forward to the rest of it!!!

06-Oct-10
Sorry about the pup Ned.

06-Oct-10
Very well told, Ned. I enjoy seeing a more complete photo log such as you have provided. Thumbs up and carry on.

My condolences on Farley Boy. The better the dog, the more poignant the pain.

07-Oct-10
Thanks guys. Farley was my best buddy and it is going to take awhile to heal.

07-Oct-10

The next morning we checked some basins near the lake by the cabin. We were on a familiar vantage point glassing when a rare thing occurred. I spotted some sheep!! There were five and they were in the bottom of the valley feeding. One looked to be a good ram and another was a 3/4 curl. The remaining were very young. We observed them for awhile and Keith was pretty sure the largest ram was just a bit short of the length requirement for being legal. I remained optimistic that he may be of age. The sheep fed up the drainage and out of sight. We boogied and began heading into the drainage in pursuit. We positioned ourselves in the drainage and tried to locate the rams but we just couldn't find them. The wind wasn't favorable either so we back out. We checked some other spots and came up empty. It was great to know there were some rams in the area however.

07-Oct-10

The following morning we tried to locate the five sheep that we found the previous day. We didn't have any luck with that so Keith headed in the direction of the drainage the big old ancient ram headed for on the first day of the hunt. The drainage is pictured here. We couldn't find him and Keith felt like this area didn't "hold" sheep very well. They traveled through this area most likely but didn't stick around it. We had to check it out however. We rode back to camp and then headed to the area we originally saw the ancient fellow. Maybe he would return but we weren't real hopeful. Once again, we had to check. We saw a ewe and as we were leaving for the night, we spotted a huge bull moose. I had acquired a tag for moose but didn't chase it as I was focused on sheep. Not going after that big mooser was a tough thing for me to do.

07-Oct-10

The next day Keith decided to move camp. We would relocate to the other side of the range and check things out. We camped with the use of tents. It took all day to ride and we checked some basins along the way. No sheep. We saw a pile of caribou and an cow and calf moose so that was cool. Lots of ptarmigan flushed at the horses feet as well.

07-Oct-10
Spectacular country...

07-Oct-10
Very sorry for the loss of your dog. Thanks for thegreat story so far I can't wait to read the rest.

07-Oct-10
Ned,

Sorry to hear about your friend Farley.

You have brought back a flood of fantastic memories for me there at Turnagain. As you know I was there on 2 different occasions. Once for my stone sheep hunt and the other for moose and caribou. Both hunts were two of my favorite hunts ever. Keith and Shane have become dear friends over the years. Great photos! There is nothing easy about that country, but it sure is beautiful. Speaking of beautiful, that is one of the most beautiful stone sheep I have even seen. Congratulations again! Tony

07-Oct-10
Ned: The gentlemen above seems to have seen a picture of your sheep! Are we choped liver? LOL! Bring it on! C

07-Oct-10
Charlie---it took him a month to get it, so it might take a month to tell the story. It's like fine wine.

I agree though, makes me feel like chopped liver that some are deemed worthy to see pictures of said "most beautiful stone sheep."

08-Oct-10
Ned, Sorry for your loss, good dogs are better than most folks!

I must feel like "Prime Filet" I've seen it and it's a magnificent animal! :o)

08-Oct-10
You guys must be fun on a date....Remind me never to go to the movies with Mudd and/or Tim.....

09-Oct-10
Ned,

I am still at Blackstone camp....sorry to hear about Farley. The raccoons are getting a temporary reprieve. Sent you a PM.

10-Oct-10
Tim(Bigpizzaman), You are soo correct. My Farley boy was something. I will miss him very much. I remember some dialog from a Star Trek movie when Spock died. Captain Kirk was talking about Spock and saying that of all the souls he has encountered, he felt as though Spock was the most "human". That is how I feel about my best buddy Farley.

Tony had a lot to do with my hunt indirectly. When I was pondering going with BC Safaris, I consulted with him. He convinced me that I was making a good decision. Thanks Tony!

Jake, I didn't get your PM.

10-Oct-10

Ok, where was I. We were spiking out on the opposite sid of the mountains from our original area. The next morning we rode to a basin that had three "draws". The sun was shining into our faces something fierce when one of those rare occasions occurred again. Maybe these aren't so uncommon after all. I spotted a sheep. I thought I was seeing things for a minute because it was soo difficult to see through the binos due to the bright sun. It was a ram, but it was a young one. We watched it for awhile and then four more rams appeared with it. Two of them were looking legal. We made a move. I have forgot to mention that on this trip, Keith had a good friend of his named Peter along. He helped wrangle but I could tell he was a good hunter. Peter is from Australia and hunted with Keith over 20 years ago. They have kept in touch ever since. I teased them that after the hunt was over, I would be talking like a Canadian with an Australian accent. Eh Mate? Anyway, Keith and I made a move while Peter stayed back to observe. We got into 150 yards and got pinned down in the open by the large ram who bedded and looked directly at us. We layed there for some time when the rams decided to move away and over a ridge. We met up with Peter. He had spotted three more rams bedded further up the mountain. Now we had 8 rams in the basin. Oh Yeah!!

10-Oct-10

In the middle of the picture you can see a fingered ridge. The three higher rams were bedded about halfway up near where it gets dark with a shadow. They eventually fed to the far left valley. They liked the area where the edge of the shadow is. Two of these rams were small but the third was a monster. 40 inches easy! The five rams that we were stalking earlier went into the bottom and fed near the creek close to where the dark green is. We would have stalked up the creek but there were piles of caribou feeding there also. We didn't want to get busted with so many eyes. The five eventually bedded on the same fingered ridge but lower near the edge of the shadow with the snow patch in it. We waited until evening when the five began to move down and feed in the bottom. The caribou had dispersed so it was "game on". We were stalking again. Wellll, we got busted. AGAIN!! The five sheep were high tailing it up the middle draw. Heading to were the snow patches are located on the skyline near the shadow edge.

10-Oct-10

This is Keith. We wanted to know which direction the sheep would go when they topped out so we positioned ourselves in the middle draw to observe them. The sheep were approaching the pass when they changed direction and began hightailing it like I have never seen sheep run before. I had a hunch as to why they did this and I looked at Keith. He was looking in a different direction so I looked back up the draw and sure enough I saw the reason. WOLVES!! A great big slimy black one was entering the draw we were in. He was wagging his tail like a little kid but was not interested in the sheep. Soon four more entered the draw in single file. 3 were black, one was mottled brown, and another was silverish.

10-Oct-10
Cool story Ned, keep it comin!!!

10-Oct-10

This is a gray/silver wolf mounted at their main lodge. It looked alot like the one in this pack of five. I yelled at Keith and pointed up the valley to the pass and he saw the wolves. I made a quick decision to position myself about half way down the sidehill to intercept these predators. Keith stayed up high. They wolves spread out and it was obvious that they were hunting and heading our way. They didn't know that a sheep hunter was ahead of them. I watched the brown one who stayed up high and kept my eye out for the blacks whom were more at my level of the sidehill. The brown made it to within 17 yards of Keith before it spooked. About the time it made it to Keith, I spotted the silver and got a range on him. He was about 50 yards moving from right to left. I came to full draw. When I did, the slimy wolf saw my movement and turned directly at me. He was coming and at about 30 yards, I had the pin on his head. He looked huge. At about this distance, he entered a small depression and went out of sight. I fiqured since he was heading straight for me, he would reappear at a distance of 15 yards. Perfect!! I would let him have it then. He never showed up again. Must have winded me in the depression. The wolves headed back up the valley and Keith began to howl. The wolves sat down and began to howl themselves. It was an unbelievable chorus and made the hair stand up on the back of my neck. What an experience! I was soo close to having harvested a wolf with my bow but it didn't happen. I will think of that opportunity forever and now I wish I would have let him have one in the pumpkin at thirty. Oh well, at least we still have the 40 incher around.

11-Oct-10

The next day we rode out of our tent camp in hopes of finding the 40 incher and his two buddies. Once again the sun was in our faces, but I believe it was Peter who spotted the rams. He found them heading to the same fingered ridge to bed. Sure enough they did and there was no way to get to them. We had a good idea of which way they would feed so we decided to get to that area. That was a problem because we couldn't get there without being seen. Keith suggested riding by them on the horses. We would keep riding until we were out of sight and then have Peter turn around and head out making the sheep believe that we all had left. Keith and I would position ourselves in the area they had fed to the day before. We did just as we had planned. We rode by those rams and I couldn't believe it. It worked. We were in position and I was feeling really really good about our situation. The wind was good and everything seemed to be just right. All we had to do was wait those rams out. Later on the rams stood up on the ridge and milled around. Suddenly, the rams were very attententive and looking the opposite direction into the valley that the wolves were in the night before. The three rams took off up to the same pass as the rams did the day before never to be seen again. We suspect wolves scared them.

11-Oct-10

One of my favorite pictures here. We rode back to our original camp that afternoon and arrived at the cabin about 30 minutes after it got dark. It was a peaceful ride but I was wondering if a stones sheep would ever be in my future.

11-Oct-10

The next morning Peter spotted a ram high on a sidehill. It is the sidehill pictured furthest behind me in this pic. He was near the ridge top. Keith and I moved into the valley and looked for the ram and Peter stayed back on a vantage just in case we couldn't find them ourselves. We found him and he was with four others. We fiqured it was the same five that had eluded us previously. The sheep headed to the head of the basin and we followed. We lost them for awhile but when we found them, we were within 109 yards of the big guy. He was bedded so I waited him out. Eventually he got up and moved out of sight and I was able to negotiate a finger that hid me from the sheep. Keith stayed back and as I stalked the ram, I looked back and saw Keith motioning for me to get up on the ridge and shoot. I got to the top but couldn't spot the sheep. Keith said that I was 30 yards from the big ram but there was a boulder between me and him and I just couldn't see him. All the sheep winded me soon there after and boogied. We climbed back down to talk to Peter and he had found alot more sheep down the range. There were around nine of them and he could see that some were good rams.

11-Oct-10

It was too late in the day to go after the big group that Peter spotted but we were back to find them the next morning. That night Keith showed me how to make toast. Just throw some bread on the wood burner and it would stick. Wait a couple minutes and peel it off.

11-Oct-10

The day it happened. We began the day by spotting the five sheep I had stalked the day before and almost made it happen. They had moved into the adjacent basin but we wanted to check out the big band so we continued down the range in search of it and would use the other 5 sheep as a fall back plan. It took awhile but we found the other sheep and there were some cranker rams in it. One had to 40 inches. We put the moves on this band and closed the distance to 500 yards. They busted us at that distance. It was very disappointing and I teased Keith that he smelled bad, looked weird or something because he kept spooking sheep. I was just joking of course. At least we had a fall back plan. We entered the basin with the five sheep with just about 3 hours of light left. Ol' Peter spotted the sheep at the head of the basin and it was game on! Only one sheep was legal and we were positive it was the one I was only 30 yards from the day before.

11-Oct-10
The rams climbed the ridge at the head of the basin and we feared the would go over. They began to feed on the ridge top and we decided to climb and possibly get ahead of them. The climb was difficult and I fell really hard about 75 yards from the top and thought that I had broken my arrows. Inspection showed everything was alright. We made it to the top and I began skirting some undulating ridges in search of the sheep. After a few minutes I spotted the big ram and got a range. He was 76 yards and feeding my way. Keith was just behind me and he was able to judge him well. At first he said he was short but he looked again and was able to count the growth rings. His eyes widened and I knew we had a legal ram. I ranged him again and found that he was now at 59 yards. A little ram was about ten yards in between us and I decided to shoot so as not to have the little guy mess up my chance.

11-Oct-10

I hit him but it was a bit far back. I reached for another arrow and looked for him. He was walking towards me wondering what was going on. I was able to deliver another finishing arrow at 45 yards. I was elated. What a beautiful animal. I had always wanted a dark colored stones and it finally happened. We caped and quartered and loaded it all into our packs. It was surreal walking out. It was clear and the stars were out. A full moon illuminated the mountain tops and I couldn't have been more greatful. We got back to the cabin around 2 in the morning and the ride in the dark was awesome. I lost my head lamp but did not care.

11-Oct-10
Awesome! Congratulations on a beautiful ram!

Thanks for sharing,

Watts

11-Oct-10
Ned, What a beauty! Congrat's again!!! Well done! Those dark stones are gorgeous!

11-Oct-10
Wow!!! Way to come through Ned! That guy's got a huge body.

11-Oct-10
That is one of the most incredible hunting stories I have read. Talk about the lowest of lows to the peak of the mountain! Way to go Ned...its always nice to see those reminders that dreams do come true if one keeps pushing.

11-Oct-10
Absolutely beautiful ram and great story. Many congrats for sticking it out and getting it done. Could you please post some more pictures of the ram!

11-Oct-10
Unbelievable Ned. Way to go. And all without the golden object. I am in awe.

11-Oct-10

The next day we slept in. What a treat that was. Keith finished caping the ram and seemed just as proud of such a beautiful animal as I was. It was nice to just relax...but....I had a moose tag.

11-Oct-10
great job thanks for shareing in such great detail ned

11-Oct-10
Great ram! Beautiful Ned,great job to work so hard and dedicate yourself to getting it done.

11-Oct-10

We had hopes of chasing a mooser that evening but we slept in too late and the caping took awhile. I think it was because it was so big bodied?? No worries. As Keith and Peter caped, they would throw little scraps here and there. We had fun watching a weasel(sp)scamper around and harvest them. We would pack up tomorrow and head for Turnagain Lake and look for a moose on the way. Peter is pictured with the horns.

11-Oct-10

The next day we packed up and headed out. I had been waiting along time to see a horse's butt with the horns affixed on the top of its back.

11-Oct-10

We stopped at a vantage point to look for the mooser that we saw earlier in the trip. No such luck.

11-Oct-10

On to another vantage point. We saw 6 bull moose from this one. We made a play on the closest big bull. He had a few cows with him. They went into some trees and were not responding to calling so we went in after them. We were making a bit of noise and the wind wasn't great so we fiqured we spooked them. We both had a nature call, and as we were finishing up with that, we heard the sounds of hooves running away. The moose were within 100 yards of us. I looked at Keith and smiled. I said something like we must have pissed them moosers off!!

11-Oct-10

We rode into Turnagain well after dark and the next day I began to prepare for the return to civilization and the exit from this dream world. I can't wait to return and stand in front of this sign some day. In search of Canada Moose!!

11-Oct-10
Ned,

Congrats again.

That beard is good luck....in more ways than one!! Is that ram 10 years old? I couldn't quite tell in the photo.....

Jake

11-Oct-10

Jake, 9 years for sure possibly ten. I could tell you for sure when it gets checked by F and W.

Thanks for the congrats and I enjoy sharing stories and look forward to reading more from fellow bowsiters!! oh, my camera was having issues during trophy time so I have just a couple of the sheep. I am not good with those things. Ned

11-Oct-10
What an awesome story and ram Ned, congratulations!!!

11-Oct-10
Great story with an awesome ending. You should be very proud of your accomplishment. Again congrats!

11-Oct-10
Ned Way to go, great photos, wonderful story and an amazingly hard earned trophy. You have demonstrated the difficulties of taking an animal with a bow and arrow. Your dedication and hard work will serve as a beacon to all that will attempt to do what you have done.

Thanks so much for sharing.

11-Oct-10
Great read. Great pictures and a great ram. Thanks for sharing. Congrats!

11-Oct-10
Congrats, beautiful color!

12-Oct-10
Once again, congrat on an amazing animal and thanks for posting the pictures and story.

12-Oct-10
Thanks for sharing.

12-Oct-10
What a great adventure. Nice you got to go back on a return trip. Thanks for writing up the story for us. Sorry about your dog. Like most guys here, I'd like to hunt sheep one day.

Randy

13-Oct-10
Tom inPA, There must have been some gold in them there hills or something!!

Just heard that the cabin we stayed in had a visitor. Seems a griz ripped the window out and pulled off some plywood that comprised the back wall. Guess that everything inside had a bite mark on it.

13-Oct-10
Awesome Ned. What a great story and trip. That ram is awesome, and something to revel in for the rest of your life. Congrats!

13-Oct-10
Ned,

Congratulations on your stone sheep! I just re-read your story on your desert sheep hunt in Mexico with Jake in the Grand Slam Magazine. So does that make it 2 or 3 now? Thanks for taking the time to give us an insight to your adventure. The photos are incredible, but you need to turn it up a notch on the storytelling! Just kidding, as long as you keep submitting stuff like this, I don't care if it takes all year to read!

Beautiful ram as well. I love the low hanging sweep of the horns and the dark coat. Great job!

Nick

13-Oct-10
Thanks guys! I have three sheep now. I need the Rocky Mountain Bighorn. Hope to draw that some day.

13-Oct-10
Ned: All that I know is no moose for you know who and you pull off a hog of a stone. I know where the golden object is presently residing.

28-Oct-10
cool stone sheep stroy and good ram

06-Dec-10
A friend asked me to put this up so he could find it easier.

06-Dec-10
Been a while since I have been on here much. Missed this before. Congratulations again, and thanks for posting. What a story and hopefully, I'll have one sooner than later! lol

michael

16-Dec-10
Mike,

You didn't miss it before.....you posted to the thread on 9/23/10. BTW, the memory is the SECOND thing to go....LOL!! ( I know, I know....you were referring to missing the story.....not necessarily the entire thread - I just haven't seen you on here in a while, and had to bust your chops).

16-Dec-10
Sure wish that I could remember the first thing to go...

21-Jun-11

Stone sheep mounted and my desert is in the background. Still at the taxi but he sent me a pic.

21-Jun-11
Incredible Mounts buddy! Congrats :)

21-Jun-11
Ned, amazing mounts. A great story as well. Please post some more pictures of the mounts when you get them home!

21-Jun-11
Thanks. I will take some pics when I get them. Love the white butts and "sacks".

01-Jul-11
I don't know how I missed the follow-up to this thread..... Great looking critters...... And what about those memories!!

04-Jul-11
Absolutely awesome. Great hunt and great rewards. Thanks.

05-Jul-11
Congrats Ned! I am jealous.

14-Jul-11
Beautiful mounts. I really enjoyed reading your hunt stories.

14-Jul-11
Thanks Bighorn. I hope to be chasing a Rocky Bighorn in Alberta in 2013. Hopefully another story is brewing.

09-Aug-12
A couple of my friends are Stones sheep hunting as I type. One of them is hunting with this outfitter. Want to wish them luck.

09-Aug-12
Those are beautiful animals, congratulations!!! No doubt, I'm jealous.

13-Aug-12
Unbelievable, both of my friends have collected their archery stones rams and on their first hunt. It took me four hunts to harvest mine. Congrats to them. The ram taken this year with this outfitter is 10 years old and 38 inches. I am sure they have an opening this year so check them out on there website or PM me if you need a stone. I had an awesome time there.

09-Jan-21
Bump for the guys reading sheep threads to cure winter blues. Epic stuff Ned!

09-Jan-21
Great job Ned

09-Jan-21
Thanks for the bump, KB!

WOW!! Great read! Congrats on a great adventure, Ned!! Glad I got a chance to read it.

Crazy to think if you had gone after and killed that big bull moose that you contemplated going after, on the same trip as when you killed your ram!

10-Jan-21
I think about that every day Troy. Ha. Was an awesome adventure no doubt

10-Jan-21
Awe the pics make it better but don’t see them

11-Jan-21
If you’re on your phone, try tilting it horizontal Ned. Mine goes into more of a desktop view and most of the pictures appear. I’m on an iPhone using Safari to view Bowsite and just stumbled across this recently. Brings all these old threads where I thought the pics were dead back to life.

11-Jan-21
cool thanks!

14-Jan-21
Congrats belated. Great story. Paul

14-Jan-21
Exciting adventure and a true trophy. Congrats are never to late !

14-Jan-21
KB, Now figure out a solution for laptops and desktops....LOL

14-Jan-21
Nedly, Where are your sheep mounts these days? Are they finally at your house? I haven't been there in a while, and don't remember.....

14-Jan-21
Persistence pays off! Really enjoyed the read Ned and congrats on an amazing animal and hunt. Beautiful Ram

14-Jan-21
Great stuff

• Sitka Gear