Bow Man 10-Jan-21
Bow Man 10-Jan-21
PECO 10-Jan-21
midwest 10-Jan-21
Cheesehead Mike 10-Jan-21
Bow Man 11-Jan-21
midwest 11-Jan-21
02-Dec-10
what does a string stop do? what are the benefits? ect.

02-Dec-10
IMO the biggest benefit is in the sound suppression.

02-Dec-10
Definitely sound suppression. Put one on my Reezen6.5 and what a difference. Also,no string slap as an added benefit when wearing heavy clothes during the cold weather.

03-Dec-10
Depending on the type that you have, there are many negatives most don't either know or consider. 1. Can cause horizontal nock travel. 2. Can cause a higher pitch noise that many can't hear. 3. Temperature change can create many other problems. 4. Can directly affect the 'standard' tune of any bow. 5. Can cause string damage; especially if broken. 6. Improper installation accentuates problems. 7. Can damage/alter string components.

Others will now continue to tell you their assets. ;)

03-Dec-10
Everyone I know that uses them , there bows are significantly quieter, including mine, I don't seem to have negatives, but i don't know everything.

03-Dec-10
It made my bow much quieter and removed some of the vibration.

I'm sure some brands are better than others. I went with the Sims brand and have no complaints. My bow did not come with one.

Many of Len's negatives would be the result of improper installation. 1. It should be properly lined up with the string. 2. You must RETUNE your bow after installation. 3. Serve the string where it touches the stopper.

Not saying there might not be some brand out there that has problems.

03-Dec-10
I put one on a older Bow Tec pro 40 and it made that bow even better to shoot. If there is any bad side effects I haven't seen them.

03-Dec-10
Actually, some of the factory designs and installations have proved to be horrific. And please, don't ask me to be specific. I can't do that. I can only advise as to what problems exist and hope that this helps in identifying problems in your system that might otherwise go unnoticed.

Let's take the fact that the stop is rubber. As the temperature changes the durometer measurement (to determine hardness) will change. In other words, the colder the temperature, the harder rubber becomes.

Therefore, the string will hit a harder stop (increase in noise); the string will stop quicker (less string deflection); the stop's sideways action might change (deviation in horizontal nock travel).

Just something to think about when your shooting scenario changes from summertime tuning/shooting to wintertime temperatures/conditions. ;)

04-Dec-10
if you have bad form, release it will help with the left and right spread. Also it quieted my bow with no wrist slap

06-Dec-10
It stops your string sorry had to do it lol!!

06-Dec-10
wastes 1/2" or more of draw length.

06-Dec-10
oops I didn't read the post right. String stops are great. The STS system I have is one of the best things I have ever put on my bow. It took out all of the noise and vibration.

07-Dec-10
I bought a used Mathews Drenalin with an sts stop a few years ago.Shot it with the stop on & it was dead in the hand & the quietest bow I've ever owned.I was not a believer in them before & decided taking it off would not effect it's performance at all.WRONG! 2 shots & I put it right back on. Got em on both bows I own now & will in the future as well.

11-Dec-10
It also stops string from going past the "0" point . keeping it closer to the listed brace height .

11-Dec-10
I have a Mathews LX that was beating the heck out of my wrist. Installed a STS and eliminated the problem completely and made the bow whisper quiet.

They do have to be lined up perfectly and the string needs about one inch of serving added where it makes contact with the rubber stopper.

12-Dec-10

bow_dude's embedded Photo
bow_dude's embedded Photo
Stops this from happening.

12-Dec-10
Hey! It's Wayne Endicott!

12-Dec-10
I don't understand how it can affect arrow flight. Seems as though the arrow is leaving the string before the string is hitting the stop..?.. I have mine set up so the stopper is 1/8"-1/4 inch away from the string. Maybe it would affect it if the stopper contacts the string all the time.

Josh

12-Dec-10
I don't understand how it can affect arrow flight. Seems as though the arrow is leaving the string before the string is hitting the stop..?.. I have mine set up so the stopper is 1/8"-1/4 inch away from the string. Maybe it would affect it if the stopper contacts the string all the time.

Josh

12-Dec-10
The arrow doesn't leave the string until the string stops going forward.

10-Jan-21

Bow Man's embedded Photo
It’s away from the string the thickness of a credit card.
Bow Man's embedded Photo
It’s away from the string the thickness of a credit card.
I made a string stopper for my older compound bow.

10-Jan-21

Bow Man's embedded Photo
Here’s the other picture
Bow Man's embedded Photo
Here’s the other picture

10-Jan-21
Changes the long twang of the bow string to a dull thud.

10-Jan-21
Who brings up 10 year old threads??? lol

10-Jan-21
And shoots an overdraw?!

11-Jan-21
This Oregon bow is over 25 years old. Never had any problems with it. Killed plenty of deer. Don’t need the new gear. Like the say. Don’t change the bait if the fish are biting on it. Plus shooting it with my granddaughter. I got her one for Christmas and she 11. ????????????

11-Jan-21
Nice work, Bow Man.

• Sitka Gear