WYelkhunter 20-Jan-11
pulverizer 20-Jan-11
WYelkhunter 20-Jan-11
wybowhunter 08-Feb-11
WYelkhunter 08-Feb-11
Hunt_investments 19-Oct-17
Hunt_investments 19-Oct-17
20-Jan-11
Gentlemen, I was wondering if someone could tell me if it is worth hunting either one of these units if you can not access the wilderness area. According to the mappage it is just the far NE tips that are wilderness. I have hunted both areas for antelope and actually hunted the edge of the forested area above Big Sandy but never went to far up in so not too sure about the elk. I am kinda stuck in no mans land, not enough to draw good and too much to waste and tired of sittin' on the sofa. Thanks, Pulv

20-Jan-11
I have hunted 99 quit a bit. It would be pretty tough to get much elk hunting done during archery season without getting into wilderness area. I have not spent any time in 98 so can't help you there.

20-Jan-11
Thanks WYelkhunter that's kinda what I was thinking.

pulv

20-Jan-11
no problem... area 99 is a large area but for archery not really that big. As I said I have never hunted 98 but have been in it and would guess it is probably about the same as 99, but not sure

08-Feb-11
I hunted 99 in 2003 and in 2009 the first year I killed a good bull archery well outside the wilderness boundaries and bugled in plenty for my buddy arrowed his first bull in 2009 I wasn't lucky enough, or better yet I missed... but as far as rifle season goes they are pushed up into the wilderness by hunting pressure, I know nonresidents have had to already put in. I know its around 95% for residents not sure for nonresident, Email me at [email protected] I will forward ya a great drainage to hunt lots of rut activity year after year it borders the wilderness boundary but in a area the elk hardly use the area above timberline until rifle opener.

08-Feb-11
I would be curious where you are talking about. The wilderness boundary is well below tree line. I want to correct myself so I am not giving out bad advice. In that area there is only a couple of miles between where the national forest starts and the Wilderness boundary. Yes you can hunt that but if you bump the elk over that magical wilderness line you are screwed. Everything outside the National forest is BLM range or private land that almost never holds elk until late in the year. But I could be mistaken

19-Oct-17

19-Oct-17

• Sitka Gear