spike buck 07-Nov-20
6x6 bull 10-Nov-20
griz 12-Nov-20
Shaft2Long 14-Nov-20
Tonybear61 18-Nov-20
12yards 19-Nov-20
Scooby-doo 25-Nov-20
04-Mar-11
Okay, I know I'm going to get beat up and verbally assaulted for this, but who is afraid of the dark? I am not really afraid of the dark, but I am always uneasy. Now I'm talking in a mountain setting here, not at home or other places,hehehe. Maybe it's because of where we lived growing up. Our house was up on the foothills of the mountains and a couple of miles from any neighbors. My 5 older brothers and sisters took great enjoyment in scaring the living s!&* out of me at every opportunity, even into my teen years. It just seems as long as I can remember I have always felt uneasy in the mountains after the sun went down. When I was little I remember hiking in to hunt deer with my dad and older brothers in the dark and I would make sure I was always in the middle of the pack where it was perceived to me that I was safe.

Now with that said, things have obviously gotten better now that I am older. I am a veteran of many, many scout camps, family campouts and hunting trips and a few bivy's. The bivy's still bother me to some degree but I am usually so tired I eventually didn't care if something got me lol. I even hunted for a week by myself in the Bighorns a couple of years ago with out to much of an issue. Does anybody else have this problem? Come on now fess up you hosers! Any suggestions? Please go easy on me and don't bash me too hard guys.

Clumbsum (big burly lineman)

04-Mar-11
Boo!

04-Mar-11
I've been urban bowhunting for the past 8yrs and because I dint want nosy neighbors knowing what I'm legally doing I haven't even own a flashlight until this Christmas when I got one as a gift. It truly has broken me of my fears. I could almost run through the woods now, especially on a fullmoon. I am occasionally fearful of other humans since I know a few camp around sometimes(homeless). They scare me.

04-Mar-11
A few years back I was going deer hunting and I pulled up in a pasture to get ready to head to my stand. I get out of the truck and it's pitch black. Just then I hear a noise, it's something moving in the grass. I go for my light and shine it towards the noise. There are two horses standing 10' away. I about peed down my leg!

04-Mar-11
I get a little troubled when I can't see my pin anymore....

Other than that I enjoy walking out in the dark. If it gets too bad I've got my headlamp. Seems I'm always the last one out.

04-Mar-11
Norseman! LOL!

04-Mar-11
Not the dark per 'se, but what's in it...

04-Mar-11
I'm with Ike.

Dark, no problem. Dark in lion/bear country, more of a problem. lol

04-Mar-11
Im with ike also.

04-Mar-11
I am more afraid of what my mind can concoct when I am 8 days into a solo bivy hunt and no one around for miles...

04-Mar-11
Only when I was 1/2 between the cook/dining tent and the sleeping tent when a beligerent grizzly starts woofing at me just outside od Coleman lantern range. It's no better the second time either!

04-Mar-11
Norseman are you my big brother? Damn you! lol Right-o, not the dark but whats out in the dark. I am heading to lion/bear country in Wyoming this coming year and so far do not have any takers on accompanying me on a bivy. And I thought I was a puss. Brunse, now that's the crap I'm talking about! I think all I can do is just face it head on I guess.

Clumbsum

04-Mar-11
+1 Gundy. I think when you are deep in the big woods and there are things that can eat you it can play with your head.

One year I decided to watch a horror movie the night before I was going hunting.

Talk about STUPID!!!

Every tree I passed I thought something was going to jump out an get me. I kept thinking, "Real smart....real smart..."

04-Mar-11
I prefer the dark when walking in or out at night. I always feel half blind with a flashlight on and only use one when I can't make it in the dark.

We were sitting on a ledge about 45 miles due east of Int'l Falls, MN one night. I asked the guy I was with if he thought he could still see. He said yes. I then informed him that my hand was wide open about 3 inches in front of his face.

We turned the light on and went home.

04-Mar-11
Like many said, not the dark but what's in it. Also add those whip like branched at face level. Wish I had a nickel for eveytime I was whipped in the face.

04-Mar-11
I'm not sure I want to talk about all of it. I grew up in a farm house that was built in 1776 and served as a hospital during the battle of antietam in the civil war. Houses that old are alive, maybe not in an organic sense, but alive none the less. They can be fairly horrifying to an imaginative youngster...doors randomly blowing shut, black snakes slithering in the roof overhead and a mom that loved horror movies...I still don't think I have fully recovered. Sometimes, in the woods, while waiting for the sun to come up I could not be any more at peace, other times I feel like death is behind every tree.

04-Mar-11
Yes! but to the extreme when I am by myself. If I am with another hunter (which I have had enough failed solo trips that I don't do anymore) no problem. How sick is that to be my friend knowing that I feel better knowing that if either you or I get killed in the woods I feel better about that. Good thing I started running .

04-Mar-11
i used to have kind of a paronia of mt. lions all the way into my 20s but i either outgrew it or something because now i have no problem being in the dark by myself.

04-Mar-11
Last year was the first time I was really nerves in the woods. I would say 98% of my hunting is alone, so that I can deal with that. It was late September, I had two fresh gut piles within 50 yards of my stand. And of course I set until I can't see the ground, and a pack of dogs came in. Now we have all heard them in the distance or what I thought was close before. This was new for me, they came in close enough for me to count. And once they found what they where looking for they where wound up, all the calling and baying. I must admit I sat in that stand another hour.

Once I was down and headed for the road with my head lamp and a hand held light, they kept their distance. I could here them but never saw them.

Also that stand was dead for the following two weeks.

05-Mar-11
No; as kids we ran a trapline in the dark and only used the light at the set One of the arguments about raising kids: my wife made comments to my daughter about night-lights, bogyman, being scared of the dark etc. I was all over it

I will say one morning a cloud came in while I was headed to my deer stand, I stopped and added a jacket and took a break, I went 20 yards and there was a fresh lion track on the new frost , tracks indicated he was walking weird, My guess looking at me as he passed. Not scared but raised my hackles. Had a cow moose put me up a tree, a bit creepy walking out that evening. My daughters had been walking to there bear bait in the dark,.. that wont happen this year Spotting a grizzly and more track where we hunt has changed walking in the dark there.

05-Mar-11
I do take those small single cell single LED lights when hunting but I do not use a light walking in if I dont need to

05-Mar-11
this past fall my brother and i set up a tarp about 700 yards from where we spotted a grizz that night he slept like a baby i couldnt sleep a wink stared at the dark all night... also in october in the wilmore wilderness had a grizz in our camp two nights in a row 15 miles apart... ended up packing it in because neither me or my brothers could sleep good after that

05-Mar-11
The human brain is a funny thing. I have some buddys who are afraid of being in the woods by themselve let alone the dark. They will hike out and be back at the truck before dark. But missed the prime hunting time.

Darkness doesnt bother me. I guess I grew up being in the wood camping and hunting by myself. Some guys have it some dont

05-Mar-11
I had my wife and kids along on a deer depredation hunt. I had killed my does and was talking to the outfitter. He was keeping an eye on his hunters 6 or 7 of them on ATV's The best time in the evening even before the sunset these guys were on there way out. The outfitter said "all the guys from out east are afraid of the dark or Mt lions", He kind of liked it that way, easier to keep track of the hunters and he got to eat supper at a reasonable time

05-Mar-11
Ermine I think has it figured out. Seems some guys got it some don't. Good to know I'm not the only one. I think most of mine is in my mind. I can work myself into quite the stir if I let myself think about it. Having company definitely helps, especially if you know you can out run them, grin. The other post on here about sidearms got me thinking about all this. I appreciate your comments and keep them coming as many are very interesting.

Clumbsum

05-Mar-11
after i guided in grizzly country and came back to hunt at home where no grizzlies were present i felt much safer and not scarred of what i couldnt see. even if i knew there were mountain lions around. but i do have to admit i am always a little leary of what is around me when its pitch black. even when i have a boomstick.

05-Mar-11
I get alittle creeped out when I am by myself. My mind can really mess with me.

GR

05-Mar-11
Forget about the lions and grizzlies its the anti's who you should be scared of in the dark. They're the crazy ones. LOL.

05-Mar-11
Forget about the lions and grizzlies its the anti's who you should be scared of in the dark. They're the crazy ones. LOL.

05-Mar-11
I was when I was younger and first started hunting. It is has settled down, at times I get a little uneasy but now it is more fear or running into a freakin moose.

05-Mar-11
Clumbsum, as a lineman in northern Wisconsin I have spent many hours hiking cross country lines in the dark so when I say I have no fear it is almost true. One night hiking fearlessly along I unknowingly wandered under a flock of turkeys and they abandoned the roost all at once. For about a second I was paralyzed, what a sound!! It was kind of funny once I figured out what was happening but for a moment.........wow!!

05-Mar-11
Few will admit to being afraid of the dark but any one that says they have never been afraid in the dark is a lier. Has anyone but me ever stepped into a covey of quail in the pitch black and had them hit your elbows.

05-Mar-11

ElkNut1's Link
I do it a 1/2 dozen times every year, I never give it a 2nd thought! I actually like the peacefulness & quiet serene feeling that goes along with it on calm evenings! There's something very soothing about it, it humbles you!

ElkNut1

05-Mar-11
seen some of the biggest deer ever minutes before dark.love it.nothing better than walking back in with a coleman lantern on a dark night to find a blood trail.

05-Mar-11
It's not the dark I'm scared of, lately its been the falling beetle kill that I can hear falling but not see that scares the crap out of me, its bad enough in the daylight, in the dark it makes me pee a little!

05-Mar-11
I did hog depredation for many years in public parks where we couldn't get in there until dark. I don't ever remember feeling uneasy about it but there is no doubt the more you do it the more comfortable you are.

I think too that the more confident in your woodsman skills you become, the more comfortable in any situation, dark, remote wilderness, etc.

05-Mar-11
When I first started deer hunting, Michael Meyers was behind every tree big enough to hide his torso. Wasn't really comfortable until I was settled in 20 or so feet up. Nowadays no big deal. Hell sometimes I load up and head out to set stands after dark so I don't have to make too much noise or get too sweated up carrying them in the morning.

05-Mar-11

ahunter55's embedded Photo
Probably more than will admit.

For me, it depends on "where" & what I am Bowhunting. If I am in an area where there are animals that can EAT A PERSON, I am caucious. Not really scared. I have had some "hair raising" experiences with Black Bears, Moose, Mt. Lion (once) & Wild Hogs AFTER Dark.

When on patrol in the night with my Marine friends, I was cautious & yes, a little scared. I'm the guy in the white T-shirt (48 years ago)

05-Mar-11
I've hiked all over Colorado wilderness areas at all times of the day and night, and never even used a light (until age started effecting my night vision). You're actually not as 'night blind' if you don't use a light. I also solo bivouacked frequently. Never bothered me a bit. I am a little more cautious when up north in big bear country, but I've never been afraid.

05-Mar-11
I have a lot of bears (some massive) where I hunt, so it can be unnerving at times. I was stalked by a very large bear several years ago. It would match me step for step, and when I stopped it would stop. Although I never saw him my buddy saw a huge bear coming from my stand right at first light. I purchased the largest can of Bear repellent I could find after that, and usually carry it with me.

05-Mar-11
Oh damn, reading some of these just sparked a memory from this past season. I was dragging a nice heavy 6 WT out by myself. Shit right at dark. I hey about half way up to the house and took a breather since it was warm out. I'm sitting in a draw, in the dark, with my deer and can hear leaves crunching my way. At this point I do have a small flashlight on my wrist and am just listening. Probably a fox. Well, its getting closer and I'm wondering if it's gonna just pass by I'll just sit here. Very quiet, no noise now. All of a sudden I hear a crunch that is way to damn close for comfort! I flick on my light and about 4ft away is a spike buck eating acorns! We scared the heck out of each other!

05-Mar-11
Never been afraid of the dark until I hunted solo in grizz country.

05-Mar-11
I hunt alone a lot in National Forest. And my biggest concern are the 2 legged punks that roam the back roads. I am uneasy while on the secluded back roads at the truck getting ready. Once I am in forest an it swallows me up or I am in the truck heading home I am at ease.

05-Mar-11
The very same things that bother me, bother me both night and day.....sows with cubs, lions, and scum bags. Look, listen, and smell your surroundings.....I am always watchfull for sign of whats in my area, especially when there is snow to give all creatures away.

05-Mar-11
Ooops, sorry, I meant shot right at dark! It'd be very painful to sh!+ a whitetail deer out! : )

05-Mar-11
Jeff, I did the same thing one time with a bunch of Meriams turkeys hunting on the Kiabab. I about had a stroke. It was the first time I had ever seen a wild turkey actually fly, very impressive. Who do you work for if you don't mind me asking? Paul(Elknut) you are not afraid of anything I don't think lol! The wolves in your neck of the woods are probably my biggest hang up. Damn things are mean. ahunter55, cool picture and thank you for your service and sacrifice. I have a spot in my heart for all veterans who have fought and died for our country. War is the scariest. After night patrols whats a night in the wilderness, eh? This is fun, keep it going, although your supposed to be calmingly reinforcing me not telling me more scary stories,grin.

Clumbsum

05-Mar-11
Your kidding right!LOL

05-Mar-11
When I'm packing my 41 Mag I feel safe cause I believe I'm the meanest, badest thing in the woods. Nothing would mess with me. While this may NOT be true it still gives me comfort when I have my 41.

05-Mar-11
Not the dark, the serial killer that resides in it. One time me and my dad were going elk hunting and the land we hunted on is also my friends cattle ranch, my dad was on my left and we were going at a somewhat steady pace, now i dont know about you but when im in the dark i pick landmarks to walk to so i stay on track, well i see a big black shape that slightly resembled a large bear, well about 10 feet from it, the big black object decides to vacate the area and go be a large bear somewhere else, not before screaming its displeasure at me,that is the only bear i have ever seen that had skinny legs, a long tail, and moo'ed.

05-Mar-11
Like.other on this forum, I often walk at.dark. I get more scared in the city than in the woods. Drunks, crooks, and skunks scare me more than bears and lions.

But, I always still.go. I was the deer or the fish more than I am afraid...

A solo bivy in grizzly country... now that sounds scary...

05-Mar-11
I wouldn't say scared but yes I get a little uneasy. I would say the location and as well as the days happening can affect the level of unease I have. New/unknown area or several bear/ML encounters through the day will raise my levels a little once darkness sets in.

I think everyone can and will have some sense of fear while in the woods at dark. Some deal with it better than others, but its there.

C

05-Mar-11
Never been to worried about the dark, As I've aged I've found that I have to leave camp by at least 4 am to get where I need to be, which equates to alot of time walking in the dark. I admit it can be a little spooky at times. We seem to have a exploding lion population where I hunt and that doesn'nt help matters at all.

You just have to keep your head screwed on tight, and do what ya gotta do!

05-Mar-11
It's not the dark, it's my damn overactive IMAGINATION that causes all the problems! I grew up surfing in central CA (think great white sharks that eat 150lb seals in 2 bites...), and somehow lions creep me out more than they ever did! The only lion I've ever seen gave me a look that said "yeah, i could eat you" before he disappeard into the bush, I decided to move my hog hunt to another part of the ranch after that...

05-Mar-11
heck i walk in the dark listening to tubular bells playin on my headset ..

05-Mar-11
Love the dark. It hightens the sences. Can't tell you how many times I have hiked 2-3 miles out and back in the dark while elk hunting.

I have had a few interesting experiences but none that would prevent me from traveling in the dark. (but always with a good head lamp)

05-Mar-11
ahunter55's pic jogged a memory. I had a good friend that was an ex-marine and did 3 tours in Vietnam, a tunnel rat they called them, crawling in enemy tunnels and checking everything out. Atos Perin, I'll always remember him as long as I live. The man was a little chunk of steel.

The talk got to night and things the go bump in the dark. I'll never forget when he told us we had it all wrong "no, no, no, you have to understand, the darkness is your friend...." and he just trailed off. Subject got changed real fast...

05-Mar-11
no grizzlys here in the east lions either (i keep telling myself) never seen a wolverine, badger or a wolf either but there is one crirtter that scares me every morning and every night goin to and from a tree stand in the dark. Ole pepe le pew. If you have ever been up close and personal with this gentleman it can ruin a whole weekend hunting if you scare him. I am scared.

05-Mar-11
TD-yes. tunnel rats are by far one of the bravest people I ever knew in my book. The night can be your best friend...

05-Mar-11
Little girls!

05-Mar-11
didn't happen to me but my brother was sleeping on the ground on a tarp.. and a horse came into camp and was nose to nose with my brother when he woke up.. scared the heck out of the both of them.. somehow none of us got stomped..

05-Mar-11
LOL! Horses don't WANT to step on anybody/anything and will do what they can to avoid doing so. Not that is doesn't happen....

Cattle don't care and bulls actually enjoy it...

05-Mar-11
"" Ole pepe le pew. If you have ever been up close and personal with this gentleman it can ruin a whole weekend hunting if you scare him. I am scared.""

Ive been a 1/2 a step awat from 4 or five walking in. Never had one spray. Walking in with my dog she has had her nos right at the hole,.. never been sprayed Yeah a bit of a rush on those

06-Mar-11
A few years back, a guy I worked with started talking about wanting to get back into hunting. He said he hunted a lot growing up but with his parents divorce etc. he grew away from it. I'm a sucker for trying to get guys back into it so I helped him apply for a turkey tag...After getting the tag he always had an excuse why he couldn't go scouting with me so that should been a clue as to what was going to happen.

Anyway long story short. In the pith black of opening morning of turkey season, way before first light, I have him set up with dekes in front of him about 75 yrds from a roost. I sneek a few yards behind him and wait for the shooting light. About 10 minutes later a coyote pack over 1/2 mile away starts yipping/howling in that excited "honey I'm home" way we've all heard before. "Steve" upon hearing the 'yotes jumps up and runs over to me and starts wimpering" bout hearing some "monsters gong crazy comming our way". I whisper to him to shut up, its just coyoteS. He is still freeking out and finally yells "LETS GET OUT OF HERE!!!" the toms on the roost of course shock gobble at his commotion. the gobbles from only 75-100yrds away freeks him out even more so "Steve" jumps up and runs back to the truck.

i sit there thinking "what the heck just happened". oh, well might as well try to salvage it so I sit still and maybe 1/2 hour later I make a few tree calls and get gobbles back, a few minutes later I do a fly down flap with my hat. like magic one of the jakes gobbles and sails down to me. within 2 seconds of his feet hitting the ground I smoke him. I tag him and pick up the dekes and head back to the truck. when I step through the brush and see the truck, "Steve" is standing next to the truck with his 12 gauge leveled in my general direction with a wild look on his face. he stutters "dude I thought the monster got you".

What an idiot...

06-Mar-11
Forget about the critters...it's those damned aliens I'm worried about! Them and their probes!

06-Mar-11
There are always "things" lurking in the dark! Both my elk have been skinned/boned or gutted/quartered after dark! The first was the inevitable lurking coyotes or lion with no flashlights we never knew but the gut pile was left alone for a week! Last year after a piece of discarded fat was tossed over my head into the dark I came unglued and almost left my own skin with that elk hide! Bottom line talk to your self (outloud)keep yourself company! Its usualy the mind you have to worry about! Walk tall carry a big stick or side arm! Thanks J for the Flying meat pant pooping Experience!

Aaron

06-Mar-11
I'm not afraid of the dark, I'm afraid of all the shots being fired after dark in my area and I mean way after dark. Last fall I had a 6 point pass my stand with about 10 minutes of legal shooting time remaining, as I was leaving my stand and walking home I heard a shot from the direction the small buck was heading, it was very dark, I yelled "what are you shooting at?" (adjectives deleted). No response. Next morning I found the 6 point alive but barely, he was gut shot. I finished him and tagged him. I wonder if the shooter even knew it was a buck he was shooting at, it was that dark.

06-Mar-11
Anyone tells you that they don't get at least a little spooked once in a while in the mountains when its dark is lying. Most of the time it doesn't bother me, but there are times when I just feel a little uneasy.

06-Mar-11
Everyone gets a little excited walking in the dark no matter what they tell you. The best thing I've done is purchased a very good quality bright head lamp. The easier it is to see in the dark , the better. Plus, hands free is great. Makes it alot easier getting through the narley stuff when you have one hand free. Can't believe I carryed and used a hand held flashlight for so long.

06-Mar-11
Ahunter55 -

Once again, awesome picture, good story

07-Mar-11
It took me a few trips to get used to walking out from a bear bait after dark, I never wanted to turn my head lamp on till I reached the main trail, It was always nervous time when that bait barrel rattled after you got down!

07-Mar-11
When I was 10 my granddad took me to a creek and did what his dad did to him. I set up camp to stay alone for a week. He told me the first night you'll be to scared to sleep and set up by the fire. Second night second night you'll lay down and watch the fire from your sleeping bag. The third night you won't care. He was right. Stayed the week was never scared of the dark again. But a instance happen in 1983 that made me alot more cautous. Me and a friend was walking down a field fence line a good hour before daybreak to our starnds. I was in the lead and we heard a load crack from the tree line. We knew there was and old wooden stand there. I knew right away it was a compound. This guy had took about a 50 yard shot at my friend thinking he was a buck walking behind. Never heard the arrow must have never reached us or really missed bad thank GOD. My friend was really mad so was I and told the guy HE WAS GOING TO THE CORNER UNTILL DAYBREAK AND HE'D BE BACK. And unless he wanted to fight be better be gone. And HE'D NEVER BETTER EVER SEE HIM IN THAT STAND AGAIN. We never saw him again ANYWHERE. Now if I don't wait for a little light. Way less noise or if I do I use a light.

07-Mar-11
1979 was my first year bowhunting. Opening morning I was walking to my stand in the dark. Not too far in I thought I heard something so I stopped and looked around. Looking around I notices a somewhat white oval kind of just hovering in space. Every now and then it moved just a little.

Well, where I was hunting was adjacent to a state park and under the man-made lake were several Indian mounds. Though I do have a very active mind, and don't really believe in ghosts---I wasn't moving at all. I ended up staying put until there was enough light to reveal that the white oval was the face of a black cow.

Several years later several of us went on our first black bear hunt in Ontario. My stand was set off in very dark timber next to a swampy area. Long story short--Steven King's Pet Cemetery was not a good choice for stand reading!

07-Mar-11
Since walking up on a very large skunk in a standing corn field I always use a head lamp in twilight or worse. Didn't get sprayed, because I swapped ends before he did. Not fun, not fun at all. That area of the field reaked for quite a while.

07-Mar-11
I never even think about it. same exact things are there in the dark that are there in the day time. Like a couple posters above.....if you don't use lights and you don't smoke you will likely be amazed at how good you can see.

07-Mar-11

yea, tell me your not scared of the dark. How about running into this coming out of the woods FILLED with wild Hogs n other things...

07-Mar-11
I confess to feeling compromised and ill at ease when alone in a tent at a trail head or other readily accessible camp site. I'm not the camper on whom one would be wise to play a practical joke. Otherwise, darkness is every bit as inviting as enjoyable.

Though, I speculate some of those reputed Wyoming and Kodiak Island "dinner bell bears" would give me strange imaginings if I found myself trudging through the darkness bent under a bloody carcass.

07-Mar-11

Acoupstick's Link
I love walking in the dark. Was never really afraid - nothing where I hunt to be afraid of. Then, I read a thread on BS about rabid raccoons. I'm embarrassed to admit that I used a flashlight for a couple of weeks after that!

In the spring, I hate setting up for turkeys in the dark. My biggest fear is looking around at sun-up and realizing I set up in the middle of a poison ivy patch!

07-Mar-11
That movie "The Blair Witch project" had me scared stiff for a season. The only thing that got me to my stand that year was knowing I had her significantly out gunned.

Like others have mentioned I don't scare easy in the dark. Anymore. People worry me more than the critters.

07-Mar-11
Love the dark but there be Werewolves out there!!!! !

07-Mar-11
I think it is natural to be uneasy in the dark. Humans night vision is not very good and artificial light is like looking into a dimly lit tunnel.

07-Mar-11
I used to be. I knew I had to deal with it, but was always uncomfortable. Not sure what happened, but haven't been for years now. It just doesn't bother me. Seldom even think about it. I use a flashlite more for saftey reasons than anything else. Guess I just out grew it.

07-Mar-11
My worst fears have come true after dark. My buddy and I were hiking back to camp right at twilight after a long day of elk hunting when we heard a bull bulge 100 yards off the trail. After a couple of cow calls he waltzed right out into the trail 10 yards from me screaming his head off, but it was so dark by that time I couldn't even tell one end from the other. It still haunts me to this day.

Cats bears and wolves can't stand my stench after a couple of days in the woods, so I never worry about them, even after dark.

08-Mar-11
NYbob called it. Nothing quite like being escorted out of the area by a big boy huffing and popping all the way right behind you.

You just go on about your business. Nothing else to do.

08-Mar-11
I grew up in southern Illinois and my first hunting adventure was coon hunting. 20 yeras of nite hunting gets you kinda used to it. Back in those days, no one could afford a compass. We learned to navigate by the stars and we knew every farmers pole light.

In all those years of chasing hounds in the dark, I only got truly lost once In the Hagaman Bottom. Once I figured out that I was walking in circles, I built a fire and waited for daylite so I could fing my way out.

08-Mar-11
Only once... Had a Mt. Lion scream at me from less than 50 yards in the pitch black... That was not comfortable...

08-Mar-11
I am scared it getting dark, because it means the end of hunting for the day and possibly the season.

08-Mar-11
One time I thought I had run out of beer. talk about being scared!

08-Mar-11
The dark does bother me a little but I sill try my best to get in my stand without the use of a flashlight or use it very little. Never use light in open fields. Only at treestand to ready my gear or get up the tree

08-Mar-11
Ok, so I've hummed "Jesus Loves Me" more than one time while walking in the dark. Kinda catchy toon! lol

12-Oct-20

Whitetail.Addict89's embedded Photo
Whitetail.Addict89's embedded Photo
First off, never make fun of someone for having a fear of something no matter what it is. Now to answer your question, no I'm not scared of the dark in the least bit. It's what's in the dark that makes me nervous. I have a 110 acre farm here in Louisiana. Mountain lions travel through on a regular basis. There's actually a couple that stay around here. I've heard em screaming at night several times and have found tracks. Not only that, hogs are bad around here. I've got 2 400+ lb boars roaming my farm. That's why I don't like going to my stand in the dark. I wait till light barely starts to break just enough for me to be able to half ass see..

12-Oct-20
You dug up a 9 year old thread?

12-Oct-20
That’s the Magic of Google, brother!

I think people are finding threads out there through Search and not paying any attention to the dates.

I actually enjoyed the one about the rabided raccoons... made me wonder what it’s like to get charged by a oppomsom....

But FWIW - I’ve had a round of rabies shots and they aren’t cheap, but otherwise no big deal. OTOH, there was a family not so long ago that decided not to give their little boy the shots because there was some question and he really hated getting shots. And they ended up burying the poor little guy.

So if you think you might need the shots, then get the freakin’ shots!!!

And FWIW, I have always been comfortable in the dark, especially 25 years ago when my night vision was a lot better. Of course, lions were fewer then and we don’t have Griz in Summit county.

Actually, I do think it would be really cool to have a set of NVG‘s to wear while walking around up in that drainage, though… Every once in a while you will hear something that sounds pretty large somewhere fairly close by, and you have to wonder who’s looking at you. I’m assuming, of course that if it were a lion I wouldn’t hear it coming… so probably it’s going to be a fawn more often than not, but it would be nice to know for example, if it were Bullwinkle giving me the evil eye …

12-Oct-20
Only when I allow my imagination to run away. When I stArt thinking about all the slasher killer movies I've watched in the past. I think it a basic human nature to be weary of the unseen, but most of the time I'm good. Now, if I have my insurance (pistol) with me then I'm a little better lol.

12-Oct-20
I know this might be a little weird, but I am most comfortable whether in the woods or in my home at night in the total darkness. I live out in the country and I have always felt that a light just draws attention.

12-Oct-20
Define afraid....8)

12-Oct-20
I’m not beyond being afraid of the boogie man from time to time and everyone knows he comes out in the dark. That said it never effects how I hunt, just how fast I walk. ;)

12-Oct-20
I’m good til I step on a covey of quail, I’m a wreck after that

12-Oct-20
I'm not afraid of the dark. . . I'm afraid of what my over-active imagination tells me MIGHT be in the dark :)

I'll admit I was afraid of being alone in the dark woods for a few years when I started hunting. I made myself do it though. And now I'm really comfortable most of the time. Sometimes in the mountains I'll get a little imagination going when I'm alone. :) But mostly I'm great

Now, throw some cows in there though, and I'm a wuss at night. I hate cows. I grew up around them. My family raised them for years and years. Doesn't matter. I don't like 'em. I don't trust 'em. And I especially don't like walking up on one in the dark and it scare the crap out of both of us :)

12-Oct-20
I have run into too many skunks not to be very cautious out there.

12-Oct-20
Bigswivle X2. I have never even used a light to walk in or out in the dark. I only started carrying one with me a few years ago. I am not in the least little bit scared of the dark. But have been flat out scared sh#@less walking in early and back out late. Its usually when I am plodding along without a care in the world. AND up comes a covey of quail at my feet. This year elk hunting it was a rabbit that made jump and do a dance.

12-Oct-20
A couple coons getting into squalling match in a hollow tree, as you’re walking by it in the dark, will get your attention as well.

12-Oct-20
My first solo backcountry hunt was a bit nerve racking leading up to it. Particularly knowing the bear issues the Gila Wilderness can and does have. However after hiking in, setting up camp and then listening to the sounds of the night mixed in with a little rain, I drifted off to sleep to the sounds of bugling elk, and haven’t looked back. There’s something about the mystery, excitement and adventure of solo backpack hunting that drew me in and somehow the initial fear was short lived once I got situated. I knew the only way to conquer it, was to face it head on

12-Oct-20
Cautious but not scared. I was watched by a huge mountain lion at 62 yards for ten minutes once near the Black Canyon. Confidence is always boosted with a gun handy...

12-Oct-20
I am not scared of the dark but have walked into a covey of quail, roosting, in the dark. Talk about getting my attention is having a bunch of quail exploding all around you. Another time a buddy and I were walking through the dark to get to an area to call foxes. I stepped in a covey of quail and my buddy said, "Do you eat these things." I told him him yes so he pulled the head of a quail that had flown right into his chest. He handed it to me and I took it home. I used to run a trap line and was in the dark heading down a stream to check an otter trap. A beaver slapped his tail in the water, just a few feet away. That will also get your heart rate up.

12-Oct-20
I'm almost totally death I've developed a sixth sense that i trust my instincts if something wrong or out of place. I've learned to see things all around me and pay attention to my surroundings. When night time comes around i just figure that I'm going to be okay and so far its been 60 years and nothing gotten me. I'm sure something or someone touch my tent and i never knew until i wake up in the morning and see tracks around my tent. Holy Molly!

12-Oct-20
I posted a similar thread last September titled "How many have spent a night out alone". Its interesting how a general fear of the dark/being alone is such a persistent topic. Next time you are hunting public land and if you happen to fill your tag early/already back at camp, notice when you see guys getting back to camp or coming off the mountain...you'll see many hunters time it so they get back to camp/trail head/their truck right at dark, which means they let their fear push them out of the field during the prime time. Elk and deer are crepuscular, meaning they primarily move at dawn and dusk. If you are not in "your spot" at these times you are giving up your best chances to be successful. I don't point this out to try and degrade those that do this, but to try and enlighten hunters (especially given how many new hunters are out there this year). If you want to be the best hunter you can be, you gotta learn to get comfortable with the dark.

12-Oct-20
The dark doesn't bother me when hunting. There have been two occasions I can recall where something in the dark bothered me. 1. I flushed a ruffed grouse on a ridge top about an hour before daylight in Brown County Indiana back in the 1970's. Jumped out of my skin. 2. For a few years one of my favorite stands was on the edge of a country graveyard. My mind had fun with that one from time to time. I try not to use a flashlight on my own private land. However, many years ago I did some public land hunting. I sometimes had a light on then to make sure I didn't become a statistic.

12-Oct-20
Just navigated the Pine Island Sound from Sanibel to Captiva Pass in the dark this morning in my skiff. 45 minutes in total darkness, only by GPS. Loved every minute of it. Can’t imagine being afraid of the dark. That’s when predators travel.

Matt

12-Oct-20
We camp near an old cemetery like 1800's old with unmarked graves. The sign of the cemetery is an old wood sign with the name of the cemetery painted on one side and "Nightcrawlers $1 a dozen" on the other side. True Story. One night my buddy and I got back to camp late. We stepped out of the truck just as a shriek I mean like someone literally getting murdered pierced the darkness just as we opened the truck door. I said "what in the hell was that?" We both were silent and could hear voices and a flickering light towards the cemetery. My buddy who has bigger balls than me snuck over to get a better look thinking we were witnessing a murder. Come to find out some local teenagers had put up a projection screen and a couch. They were watching a horror movie in the cemetery. My buddy came back to find me locked in my trailer peeking out the window. He called me a puss, which I agreed with him. A few other stories from that cemetery to tell at another time.....not sure why i keep camping there. I'm more scared of people than any animal in the dark.

12-Oct-20
9mm in the right hand with my bow held by the string in the left.

A little unsettled when I get in the CRP but other than that not too “much”.

It’s funny how wildlife feel safer in the thick stuff...

12-Oct-20
Not scared of the dark, but as mentioned above, a covey of quail will get your attention right fast.

There’s always the possiblity of running into a big hog where I hunt. I had a stand off with one a couple years ago as I was walking to my stand in the dark. I could just see a big black spot in the trail and knew what it was. He wouldn’t move and I just kept baby-stepping toward him, pistol in one hand , weak light in the other. I was wishing for a better light and a larger caliber, but at about 20 yards he eased off into the brush. I hope he was happy with the outcome, I sure was.

12-Oct-20
I had a WT buck jumping the neighbors fence every morning at shooting light . So I walked in super early hit the fence and was headed to the spot he crossed by the creek,heard a weird snort raised my tiny flash light and was looking death in the eye huge and I mean huge bull buffalo, it was cold and when he would snort you could see the steam, looked like he was straight out of hell. I don't know how I didn't break a leg getting away from there, rattled me pretty good. But I shot the WT at about 8yds when the sun came up. I new that bull had crippled up a couple of horses in the past so mind was racing, they shot him a year later for being such a terror, you couldn't even drive a pickup through there with out him taking a run at you.

12-Oct-20
I’ve had grouse flush from right underfoot and that has gotten my adrenaline flowing. I’ve had some close calls with skunks that amped me up.

But it’s the two-legged monsters that concern me more.

13-Oct-20
I remember being a little spooked when I started deer hunting as a kid, but it passed quickly. I love hiking in and out in the dark now, but do think about some of the dangers.

As others have said, stepping into a covey of quail will make you tense up at the very least. Almost dropped my shotgun and realized I couldn't let that happen the next time.

Had a mountain lion (didn't know it at the time) walking parallel to me while headed to an elk meadow one morning. I assumed it was a curious muley and didn't think much about it. It eventually moved ahead of me and on the trail was a steaming pile of cat scat. Didn't exactly get scared because I thought it was probably just telling me that this was his hunting spot. I may have altered my plans a bit, lol.

Was throwing top water for bass in the moonlight and a beaver didn't think much of it. It slapped it's tail on the water just a few feet a way from me and I have to admit I jumped.

While coon hunting in a spot I'd never been, I was fumbling around listening for the dogs. Our batteries were low so lights were off and my buddy grabbed my arm as I was about to walk off a 20' drop off. That shook me up.

Worst of all was walking up face to face with a cow moose and her calf. I was in a meadow, no trees to get behind and she laid her ears back. Thought I was gonna die then and there.

My buddy and I found a good spot to hunt deer and hogs only accessible via 45 minutes in a kayak. On our scouting trip we saw 5 different gators - only 4-6' - but they probably have mommas. We'll be going in the dark this week or next. I'll be honest, I'm thinking a little too much about them.

13-Oct-20
WoW! More than one realizes. Then again maybe this is AT and not BOWSITE.

13-Oct-20
Hot primary down in the dark scared me more than any critters. Retired now.

13-Oct-20
About 4 years ago I had a day off during archery elk early in the season. I was in the truck by 3am headed to my spot. Got there still dark, hopped out and hit the trail. I didn’t make it more than 200 yards or so and all hell broke loose in the trees above me! I walked right into a flock of roosting Turkeys. Scared the living $h!t out of me!

15-Oct-20
I’m with keepemsharp! I was walking to stand in Kansas a few years ago stepped into a covey of quail. S&$t man I thought the booger man had me for sure. No way To cover my scent that day! Lol I hunted at night with my dogs for years and there were times I got really comfortable and still do. Just being honest guys.

15-Oct-20
Talked to an elk hunter this year who didn't like going in in the dark. He started at 11am!!! lol

I am also scared after an extended time in the bush at how hot the previously un-hot gas station attendant is on the way home. "Ya, he must work out."

15-Oct-20
No.. one morning late October bow hunt hr before daylight walking the edge of a river so I didn’t need a light.. a blue heron flew up at me feet and made that god awful sound they make...I will admit I was paralyzed for about 10 seconds Had to sit down for a few mins

15-Oct-20
I use to be far more nervous going in in the dark than I am today. Coming out knowing it’s only getting darker is still problematic sometimes. I hunt and camp solo often and it’s gets easier every time. The idea of tracking, breaking down and packing out alone is still a challenge. But like most have said, the more we do it the better it gets.

15-Oct-20
When they were young, in the summer, my dad and uncle would practice boating to their duck blinds using the throttle, compass and watch so they could navigate the same courses in the winter under darkness and fog. They'd account for tide, too. Margin of error was slim and if they were slack, sloppy or just wrong, they'd run headlong into a bank. That's scary to me. I'd rather sleep amongst bears.

16-Oct-20
I can usually get to my stand in the complete dark but I always wear my headlamp mostly for trying to find my damn rope to pull my bow up with. One morning I busted a few deer walking in. As I get to the bottom I could hear grunts getting closer and closer, eventually I heard it jump the fence about 20 ft behind me. I turned my headlamp on and here stands a 160" that I had been chasing all fall. I wasnt scared but I was more afraid of being raped!

16-Oct-20
I'm not 'scared' of the dark, but I admit to being a flashlight junkie. Always carry two in the woods, even on day hunts ;-)

17-Oct-20
Greetings My answer is yes and no. Yes, if I am out in the wilderness, spent two years in the wilderness with plenty of cougar and blackie's around. I just wouldn't want to be out in the dark under those circumstances. The day time is fine. The blackie's are very shy and run when I encounter one. When I do not fear the dark , is when there are 2 legged creatures running around. It happens, even in the wilderness. If it's completely dark, I can sit and listen. Under these circumstances, I have no fear as I know these poachers use spot lights, not night vision gear. My eyes adjust well in the dark and I can usually distinguish what I am looking at. So, yes. If I have to exit my trailer to pee in the middle of the night (dry camp only) I have to walk a few feet away from camp and that is always a sketchy feeling. I do have motion detectors as well as motion alarms. Very useful is getting a good night's sleep.

17-Oct-20
Hell yes I am afraid! Walking into a spider web in the dark is a guarantee I will beat myself senseless trying to get it off me.

17-Oct-20
If I hunted where there were grizzly bears or mountain lions - yeah a little. I have been stalked from behind in dark by a big NJ black bear once - that was pretty un-nerving. And I do have far too many black bear encounters but still dark doesn't bother me much.

I am more freaked out by cave crickets and big spiders, and of course - liberals having power.

17-Oct-20
Yes, a bit. But mostly a fear of the unknown, and I don't know what's lurking out there in the darkness. Like J H above, I was followed/stalked by a black bear 1 morning, now I jump every time I hear a sound while walking to or from my stand. I'm OK with missing the first 1/2hr of shooting light.

17-Oct-20
Fear of darkness is a basic human fear. In my younger days, my night vision was really good, now at 68...not so much. So I now carry a couple flashlights along...I use a red light to set up a climber in the dark. Mainly to assure its properly set.

I also wear safety glasses...i took a swipe from a prickly ash directly across my eyes years ago, that was pretty bad.

As others said, one of my fears is to stumble into the south end of a northbound skunk! Plus, while I've bumped my share of turkeys off the roost in the dark, they don't particularly startle me. Can't say the same for a screetch owl! Even knowing one is in the area, when they let go I levitate!

In a lot of ways I'm far more cautious in the dark now than when I was young...I think that's due to my present night vision decline.

18-Oct-20
I'm scared of grizzlies does that count?

18-Oct-20
I am not really afraid of the dark, but I think I get more worried about getting turned around in the dark.

I had an encounter with a small griz once, and another with a cow moose that worried me a little, she would have gotten a warning shot if I had a pistol on me.

We ran into two drug runners down in Southern AZ once. That scared me more than the animals did, and it was still daylight!!

18-Oct-20
Great thread! I’ve never been scared going in or out of the woods and I rarely use a flashlight because I have really good night vision. I’ve had a few jolts. Almost stepped on a skunk once and it was a miracle that it didn’t spray. One time I literally walked within touching distance of a doe, I think she was more startled than me! The freakiest thing that ever happened was when I was about 15. Had walked into a stand one morning well before daylight and had just finished getting set up when I something comes up out of a pasture behind me. I hear it jump the fence and it walked right under me. With every step it is letting out this serial killer type noise/breath, very loud. It’s still the single most freaky thing I’ve ever experienced in the woods. Once it crossed my path in from the other direction the noise stopped instantly and I never heard another single peep. I expected to see something standing there when daylight came up but there was nothing. I’ve since been told by some people on here that it was a dominant buck and 30 years later I’m sure that it probably was. But as a young horror movie fan I thought it could’ve been Jason Voorhees!

18-Oct-20
Great thread! I’ve never been scared going in or out of the woods and I rarely use a flashlight because I have really good night vision. I’ve had a few jolts. Almost stepped on a skunk once and it was a miracle that it didn’t spray. One time I literally walked within touching distance of a doe, I think she was more startled than me! The freakiest thing that ever happened was when I was about 15. Had walked into a stand one morning well before daylight and had just finished getting set up when I something comes up out of a pasture behind me. I hear it jump the fence and it walked right under me. With every step it is letting out this serial killer type noise/breath, very loud. It’s still the single most freaky thing I’ve ever experienced in the woods. Once it crossed my path in from the other direction the noise stopped instantly and I never heard another single peep. I expected to see something standing there when daylight came up but there was nothing. I’ve since been told by some people on here that it was a dominant buck and 30 years later I’m sure that it probably was. But as a young horror movie fan I thought it could’ve been Jason Voorhees!

18-Oct-20

18-Oct-20
Two different things being talked about here. There just being afraid of the dark or what “might” be there. Then there something starling you in the dark such as a covey of quail. I’d imagine we all been startled one time or another. I’d like to think most of don’t walk around worry about what might be there.

18-Oct-20
So is there also a distinction between concerned about “what might be out there”.... and being concerned about what you know IS out there, but you don’t know where it might be?

Because I have to agree that nobody is waiting for daylight because they’re afraid of flushing some quail.

I may be underestimating them, but I don’t think I’m really that concerned about blackbears unless we’re talking about a habituated bear that’s starting to get cocky. I’m more concerned about lions, and we do have a breeding female up the hill from the house.

Griz would be a different subject.

18-Oct-20
GF...blackies and wolves don't overly concern me, although I respect the possibilities.

Lions make me nervous, and I have a DEEPLY rooted respect for griz...bordering more towards a phobia! :^)

18-Oct-20
Right with you, Coach!

20-Oct-20
I can let my mind wander sometimes, but it's never kept me at home or in camp.

I've never been particularly fond of the idea of walking into a grizzly. Doing it at night (in the dark) sounds especially troublesome. I bought a 10mm this year to add to the bear spray. I've yet to carry it, so I guess I'm not too worried about it.

I also don't like navigating nasty terrain in the dark. Blow-downs are a pain in the daylight. Darkness adds a whole new level of fun.

06-Nov-20
I always try and be where I want to start hunting and listen for the elk to give me direction. I love the dark because I can move easier than with light without being seen. And anyway if there is something out there that can eat you in the dark it can probably do it easier in the daylight. Whenever I’m hiking in the dark I always close my eyes so they will adjust and you will be amazed that when you open them and continue hiking how well you can see. We do have things that can eat you in Wyoming but fear of the dark doesn’t stop me from hunting.

06-Nov-20
no not really until matting porcupines come at your hiding spot from a 100 yrds away in all the fallen leaf's and end up doing to deed 5 feet behind me.they were only ten yards away when I finally figured out what it all the rustling and grunting/crowls was..i got to admit I was getting ready to run into the stubble LOL..looking back I just lmao over it now. I wish I had a video of porcupines do n it.. not as bad as cats but still creepy in the morning darkness

06-Nov-20
I'm fine until bigfoot comes behind and taps you on the shoulder while you are in a tree, or that monster comes in and its a real monster instead of a monster buck!!! Mommy!! Nothing out there but dark as John Wayne said.

06-Nov-20
Howling wolves in the dark really spook me!

07-Nov-20
We had event backcountry in Gunnison ill never forget. Its late time to go to bed all of sudden a light appeared out of no nowhere in the .distance. Then another and another and in all six lights. We though other hunters. Then all of sudden the lights were going in all directions fast. My brother turn his light on and at once they all stop. Then seconds later they line up and headed towards us and went right over our heads and disappeared. To this day we don't know what it was or how it happened. That was about 20 years ago and never happened again.

07-Nov-20
Only time I was afraid of the dark was when I took a wrong dark exit as I was just arriving into Downtown Kansas City Mo going I 35 S at 2:00 am.. I think exit said Paseo Blvd LOL.... I made the mistake of pulling out and looking at my rd map. I hurried to get back on the interstate, only to find out I was going North in the South Bound Lane!! Does have something to do with hunting as I was going to a hunting and fishing show...

10-Nov-20
I never even used a flashlight until one time I drove past the nearest neighbor to the farm I hunted. It was about 1.5 miles from where I park on the gravel road where I hunt. You have to walk up a hill on a farm lane for about 200 yards through the woods to get to his first field. It was as black as my ex-wives heart that morning when I headed up the hill carrying my bow, tree sticks and stand. I thought I heard something behind me so I turned around and faced downhill when the neighbors Doberman from 1.5 miles away jumped up and put both paws on my shoulders and licked my face!!! I always use my headlamp now!

12-Nov-20
Hunting in suburban Philly area - Darkness worries = stick in eye, junkies, crackheads, meth addicts, trespassers, getting hit by a drunk driver on the way to or home from your spot and getting truck jacked. Daytime worries = Junkies, crackheads, meth addicts, trespassers, anti hunters and getting truck jacked. The .40 goes everywhere.

14-Nov-20
Somebody mentioned "Blair Witch Project", I rented that movie one time the night before a solo hunt. Not a good idea.

I found out that, having a head lamp and my bow strapped to my pack was not only a lot easier in the dark, it had a calming effect. Having your hands unencumbered was a big mental crutch for some reason.

18-Nov-20
More worried about a poke in the eye with a stick or senseless humans after dark. I don't like flashlights as they taint my night vision, enjoyment of the stars and planets on a clear night or early morning.

That said a few old satellites entering the atmosphere or a weird drone flying around has certainly got my attention.

19-Nov-20
My biggest fear at night is if I were to walk my face into a giant spiderweb with a big hairy spider in it. Animals don't scare me near as much. Well, cows and horses do, but not wild animals.

25-Nov-20
Only time I had the crap scared out of me was when the movie SIGNS had came out. I had watched the movie the night before and up early to hunt. The Aliens from the movie liked to be in the corn. I was walking in along a standing corn field and I hear rustling and a lot of things coming at me. I never use a light walking in so was fumbling through my pack looking for a flashlight. I actually started to turn and run but more noises that way too. I get the light out and on and there had to be at least 15 raccoons piling out of that corn field. I felt like an ass but it made every hair in my body stand on end and send shivers down my spine. Shawn

• Sitka Gear