BIGHORN 22-Feb-19
ELKMAN 23-Feb-19
Shawn 23-Feb-19
DanaC 23-Feb-19
David A. 23-Feb-19
David A. 23-Feb-19
jdbbowhunter 23-Feb-19
01-Apr-11
I am new to the recurve world -- would like to know peoples thoughts on the top 3 custom recurves out there?

01-Apr-11
Welcome This question is subjective. You get all different answers. The best one for you ,is the one that you shoot well and feels right.

If I was going to buy a new one, and money wasnt a concern .Id get a black widow PSR Nice bow Light wieght and fast. But there are some lower priced ones out there that could be a good option. Look around. Try and get to a trad shoot. Most guys love to brag about there trad bows and dont mind letting you try them out.

01-Apr-11
blacktail, rose oak and bruin are my pics for the top 3 recurves available today.

lots of others are just as good.

the stickbow market is as good as it has ever been. enjoy the choices you have and the quality that is available to you. these are the good times.

01-Apr-11
What sir misalots said is true. What kind of price range are you trying to be in? I would take a good look at the classifieds section on the Leatherwall, lots of good quality bows available.

01-Apr-11
Black Widow!

01-Apr-11
do you really mean recurve or just traditional?

01-Apr-11
Bob Lee, Black Widow, & Striker

01-Apr-11
black widow, bighorn, old bears cant beat them for shootability.

01-Apr-11
No such thing.There's a long list of top shelf bowyers building recurves and longbows these days.What I may think is the best bow may not be for you and your shooting style.

My suggestion is go to some traditional shoots and try as many bows as you can.If thats not possible quite a few bowyers will let you try before you buy.Just requires a deposit that is refunded if and when you send the bow back in the condition you received it.

01-Apr-11
Wish I had my Sley back.

01-Apr-11
I would go with a bow that you can shoot well and feels right in your hands!

01-Apr-11
Two Arrows my Sleys are one of the top three recurves ever made :-)

01-Apr-11
So many good ones....and I'm not even close to knowing many. Add Morrison to the list

A bit of friendly advice; you need to go to a range, shop or trad shoot and shoot a bunch of these. There is a huge difference in how they feel- even when they look somewhat similar.

01-Apr-11
Black widow

01-Apr-11
I own Wes Wallace, but Blacktails are great as are Fox.

LBB

01-Apr-11

Snag's Link
Check out the Blacktail bows.

01-Apr-11
Rivers Edge is a darn good one. I have also been hearing good stuff on Tall Tines.

01-Apr-11
old bear bow #1

01-Apr-11
If I had to pick only 3.....

Bighorn, Black Widow and Rivers Edge

01-Apr-11
Hummingbird, Hoot's, Morrison-Hoyt LH

I prefer longbows

01-Apr-11
Check out Stalker Recurves website. Not only do the bows point and shoot well, the bowyer South Cox puts out a real piece of art. Truly custom, he can and will spend time on the phone with you to hash out details that can make a real difference in the end product to your satisfaction.

His turn around time is also relatively quick. I love the way mine feels--so much that I have another on order! BTW, he's also producing longbows--had the chance to shoot one and they are sweet...smooth and shock free.

01-Apr-11
I shoot a J.K. Chastain.

01-Apr-11
Black Widows are consistent, high quality, and great to deal with. There may be others just as good but you can rely on Black Widow for an outstanding dependable bow.

02-Apr-11
Martin Archery, Damon Howatt, Check-Mate

02-Apr-11
I would say Schafer, then there's Schafer and also Schafer!

02-Apr-11
For everyone responding, upon what do you base your opinion. I have owned several Black Widows, a new Bob Lee, a couple of Samicks, 3 or 4 custom bows by regional bowyers, and a variety of older model Bears and Ben Pearsons. There is no doubt that the newer bows are faster than the ones made in the 70's and before but otherwise I have seen little practical difference in the other models. This is based on shooting them through chronometers, not a subjective "feel". Looks are a different matter but in my opinion don't enter in to an evaluation of "the best". I still say that you cannot argue that Black Widow has the coolest name and logo.

02-Apr-11
i like cascade and chastain bows

02-Apr-11
"There is no doubt that the newer bows are faster than the ones made in the 70's and before but otherwise I have seen little practical difference in the other models."

That is not true, and my own chrono numbers from bows made back in the mid 50's to those made in the '70's vs. those made today prove this. Many bows made yesteryear are as fast or faster then a lot of bows that are made today. Not as much has changed as you think, other then time.

As for what I base my top 3 recommendation on? Experience, like what most opinions are based on.

The neat thing about this is individual experiences, likes, and dislikes can and do vary.

02-Apr-11
Its what ever YOU shoot the BEST! For me its a Blacktail by Norm Johnson. Maybe for you its something else. Good Luck in your search!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

02-Apr-11
you should go on the leather wall and ask. also a lot of info on trad only websites. If you are getting into it you should go to a local trad archery shop. also there is probably a bowyer near you that could make something custom for you and give you tips.

02-Apr-11
Black Widow would be a good choice, for functional purposes as well as appearance. They have many different recurve options, but they are pricey. A Bear grizzly is an excellent starter bow I hear, and affordable. Hoyt also makes good recurves if you're looking for a modern, technological style.

02-Apr-11
Predator, Black Widow, Bob Lee.

The Predator was at one time the fastest bow tested. I own one the bow is fast and easy to shoot.

02-Apr-11
Black Widow, Hoyt and Martin.

Kevin

02-Apr-11
Three I see shot the most at my club are Ramparts by John Gottshalk, Wapitis by Chastain & a few hummingbirds. Ramparts are my favorite, but I'm still pretty new at this.

02-Apr-11
Assenhiemer, Black Widow and Wes Wallace

03-Apr-11
I am going to second OkieJ.

All three are fantastic performers, with world class customer service to make the list of attractive features complete.

03-Apr-11
The best three bows are the ones you shoot best 123 in that order..you make yourself shoot good by practice..Martin Super D my fav in close range accuracy..Quillian Patriot for down range distance...Widow a little less comfortable than my Patriot...but these are my opinions..you gotta shoot it to know for yourself...over a little time as well not just one or two sessions..

03-Apr-11
My 3 favorite are Black Widow,Shafer,and Zipper

03-Apr-11
As mentioned, get your hands on some and try them, there's no 'top 3' like you might see with compounds - actual performance is so close between most recurves these days that 'feel' becomes much more the determining factor.

There are some big names that came up above, but would look around and see who you have making bows locally. I am not sure what part of Mississippi you're from, but Acadian Woods can't be too far from you (Slidell, LA) I believe.

If I were just starting out again, I'd get a fairly cheap, lightweight bow to play with and learn form, then start shopping for your go-to hunting bow. You'll go thru a number of bows before you determine your top 3.

Personally, I am a fan of Sarrels (Tx) and Ramparts (CO)

03-Apr-11
Border Bows, Hoyt, Robertson

03-Apr-11
As has been already said,try and get to a shoot and try as many bows as you can.There is no best bow other than the one you can hit with...whether it's a $200 or $2000 bow.To me the grip is the most important part of a bow.If it doesn't fit or fill my hand the way I like I won't shoot it well no matter how fast,smooth,quiet or pretty it is.Try as many as you can and don't overbow yourself.Goodluck!

03-Apr-11

sixby's embedded Photo
sixby's embedded Photo
EagleWing Talon 1 or 11, Dale Dye, Blacktail, Plus about 30 others.

03-Apr-11
I've had a few different bows but I keep going back to Black Widows.They are tough,shoot well for me and their customer service is top notch.

03-Apr-11
I agree with most of the responses on this forum. You need to get one that you shoot well, and one that appeals to your eye.

I personally would not buy a Black Widow, for no other reason than it seems like everyone has a Black Widow.

I have a Zipper takedown, and love it. I also have a Wes Wallace, Kohannah and a couple of one piece recurves that a good friend of mine made, as well as a longbow made by Joe Blake at Prairie (Panther) Longbows. Joe's bows shoot as good as they look, and I would highly recommend them to anyone looking for a longbow.

The best advise that I can give you is go to a traditional archery expo (Cloverdale, Kalamazoo, Compton, etc) and shoot some bows. Buy one that feels good, and meets all of your expectations. They are not like compounds, where they all pretty much shoot the same. A stickbow is a work of art, and they all shoot different.

Also spend the extra money and get one that appeals to your eye, you will not regret it. I have a buddy that spent $200 on a bow that he thought was "nice", because he did not want to spend the extra money on the one he really wanted. When he got the "nice" bow, he was so disappointed that he stuffed it in the closet and never looked at it again. Waste of money! So buy the one you really want, it will be worth the money, I promise!

Good luck, BH374

03-Apr-11
Palmer classic

03-Apr-11
Can't believe HABU hasn't come up yet....

I like my Black Widow, but the HABU is number one when it comes to recurves.

Would also like to own a Blacktail or Fox Breed one day.

04-Apr-11
RER,Morrison,Older Black Widow MA. If I were to buy one recurve it would be a RER arroyo. The most bow for the money. If you have a bigger bank account,Bob Morrison builds the best of the best. Shawnee or Cheyenne. I own a few Black Widows and still like the older MA for speed and accuracy.

04-Apr-11
lol....

04-Apr-11
Rocky mountain,Bill Steward,Black Widow.Not in that order if I had to pick one it would be the Steward.

04-Apr-11
I shoot Sovereign ballistiks, but the bowyer has since passed.

RERs are basically a copy of the Ballistik, so that would be first choice.

Morrison and Bob Lee would be my next choices.

I've owned a Black Widow and won't buy another. many swear by them. you need to shoot as many as you can.

Don't forget to look at the classifieds on the LeatherWall.

Carl

04-Apr-11
Smartens - hope you're still reading responses. As you see no two folks on here can agree. There are 'most popular' trad bows which you'll start to pick up on by the responses, but no 'best'.

04-Apr-11
I love my old Brackenbury TD. I picked it up used at a Traditional Expo. The moment I put in my hand, I knew it was going to be good, simply because it just felt good in my hand. IMO, if it doesn't feel good in your hand, don't buy it.

08-Apr-11
Schafer..Black Widow... and Bighorn..... I own the Bighorn and am in love with it and shhopping for limbs.

Bill Stewart's and Quillian Patrots are good performers...fast! I was impressed with an Acadiana Woods Take down with bambo limbs... And the Great Plans SR swift was Sweet! Black Widow has a great cutomer service rep. I'm sorry ....you said 3 bows! got carried away

Griz

08-Apr-11
Schafer..Black Widow... and Bighorn..... I own the Bighorn and am in love with it and shhopping for limbs.

Bill Stewart's and Quillian Patrots are good performers...fast! I was impressed with an Acadiana Woods Take down with bambo limbs... And the Great Plans SR swift was Sweet! Black Widow has a great cutomer service rep. I'm sorry ....you said 3 bows! got carried away

Griz

08-Apr-11
You really shouldn't buy from any certain bowyer based on opinions here, as there are more opinions than there are available bows.

And, the more expensive and the more 'custom' a bow is, does not mean it is any more accurate or faster than a bow offered by a company that has a high volume, 'production' type business. More than likely, the only real difference is aesthetics in the form of fancier looking woods in the high dollar 'custom' rigs.

This isn't anything like the compound market where the industry sees major mechanical/techno advancements every 5 years. Stickbows are still made the same way Fred Bear did it 60 years ago and imo, that really is the cool part of all of it. So, if you find a vintage model on ebay(which is flooded with them, btw) for a really good price, you'll recieve a piece of history and craftsmanship that will perform right alongside anything more current or more expensive. Good luck.

21-Feb-19
Bob Lee

21-Feb-19
I have one made by the old legend himself, Jim Brackenbury..........wouldn't trade or sell it for the world.

21-Feb-19
Really? An 8 year old thread..... where do you even go to dig this up?

I can’t find threads more than 2 years old.

8 years.... most the guys that posted in 2011 probably shooting crossbows by now

21-Feb-19
I'll play. Caribow, Fox, Shrew.

21-Feb-19
No such thing as a top 3. You need to shoot as many as you can to get a feel for what you like. Some guys are all about exotic wood or metal risers with ILF. Others are into more vintage stuff. I am not endorsing any particular bow, just talking about my experience. I have two older and one newer Bear. I also have a Wilson Bros era Black Widow I inherited from my pops when he passed. Finally, my most frequently used bow, a Whisperstik Kajika Stik take down recurve, which unfortunately are no longer made. Personally, my favorite bow is my 1960 Bear Kodiak, very similar to the recent version of the 59 Kodiak, Bear has been making.

If you are just starting out and don't want to spend a lot of money on a new bow there is nothing wrong with an older, used bow. Bear, Ben Pearson, Howatt, Wing, Shakespeare all made good bows back in the day and you should be able to find those pretty cheap. If you like the feel, nothing wrong with a Black Widow. They have been very popular for a long time, with good reason. I don't like their grip. One great thing about Black Widow is they have a try before you buy program that won't cost you much more than shipping both ways to try one of their bows. Again, its all about the feel you are after. Until you know what you like, shoot a bunch before you buy! Lots of good advice on this thread, some not so much.

Rocky Mountain Specialty Gear is a great place to look online at lots of used recurve bows! Archerytalk Classifieds (Traditional Bows) is another place where lots of used traditional bows exchange hands. Attending a traditional gathering is also very good advice.

PS I agree 100% with roger's post a few above mine.

21-Feb-19
FOX

21-Feb-19
Are you looking for a pretty wood riser? Metal? Looks or performance a priority? Hunting or target only? (And how deep is your wallet?)

21-Feb-19
Hey Bill....I resemble that remark!

I still shoot my Morrison ILF riser from this 2011 thread.......with an assortment of limbs....and I still pick up my compound when I absolutely, positively have to see an animal die by arrow.

21-Feb-19
One of the best performing hybrid longbows is the Centaur and now the bowyer Jim Neaves has introduced a new super curve. I shoot a Hummingbird recurve and my family has three of them. But your best bet is to visit a nearby bowyer and shoot one or attend the next trad shoot in your area and try out several different bows.

21-Feb-19
BOHNTR X2

21-Feb-19
The top 3 are what ever fits and works for you.

21-Feb-19
The top 3 are what ever fits and works for you.

22-Feb-19
the best looking are the blacktails. someone has to be second, but they are not close to blacktail.

22-Feb-19
I don't want to burst any bubbles but I really think Black Widow is very over-rated. That being said, I'm a Palmer, Black Canyon, and Stalker fan for re-curves. Longbows are black canyon, yellowstone, and mine... mine are a long ways from any above but I love building them.

22-Feb-19
The top three recurves are the ones that fits you best. The one that fits you best. And, the one that fits you best.

Which will make it feel like a glove, should draw and anchor well effortlessly, and shoot point perfectly.

Performance in trad bows can be increased dramatically with a good clean release and the proper string. Aside from that, if you threw them all in a barrel, they’d be so close in that department name and price shouldn’t enter the equation. But they way it feels is the equation.

22-Feb-19
In my opinion it would be zipper, Schafer, and Tall Tines in that order. Most of the difference in the top bows is just looks and grip style but most top bowyer's will form the grip any way you want it.

22-Feb-19
Tradtech, Hoyt, Gillo for me.

For a new recurve shooter i'd get a 19-21 ILF riser and a pair of lighter 30-40# limbs and move up in poundage after my skills and strength progressed.

Aluminum risers are sexy!

22-Feb-19
Ive owned most of the top customs over the years. That being said I bought a JK Chastain this past October and it shoots best for me love this bow. Also check out Chad Holm of Holmmade bows very nice and reasonable priced and you really cant beat a Bear shoot all you can because they do have to fit you.

22-Feb-19
You can buy 20 different bow brands which will make someone's top 3. For some the criteria is more about appearance and less about how they really handle in a tough hunting situation. Some guys are more focused on how a bow shoots for them, and everything else comes second. If you hunt, it's paramount to own a bow which has great shooting characteristics and fits your physical needs. Form follows function. I've owned some gorgeous bows which shot nicely, and some that were fickle.

It really matters nothing, but if I was forced to choose 3 good bows from 3 good bowyers....for hunting....and wanted the cream of the CUSTOM bow crop:

Cari-bow builds super-performing bows with a primary emphasis on how they shoot. They are a hunter's bow first and foremost. Combine that with designs and wood combinations which are superbly beautiful and artistic.

Tall Tines is all about hunting bows which have some of the easiest-to-shoot-well characteristics I've ever seen. With a decently matched arrow they seem to hit where you look almost from the outset. If you like custom touches and seriously gorgeous wood, you'll find it here.

Schafer Silvertip Bows has a long history of fine custom bows. Emphasis on custom. You'll spend healthy money but the bow will be as custom as you want. Despite their beauty, I've found every single one to be a superb shooter with a hardcore hunting emphasis as their foundation.

22-Feb-19
Ther are a ton of great bows out there. I have a zipper I love and a few others. My advice decide on a price range. Find a traditional archery club or shoot go talk to some people and ask to shoot there bows most will be happy to help. Good luck!!

22-Feb-19
I'd love to find a Wing presentation II around the 45-50# mark. My buddy had one and let me borrow it back in the late 90s. It was the best shooting bow I've ever shot. The feel in my hand was exceptional too.

Like many have said, find that bow that fits you. Don't pick based on others "top 3".

22-Feb-19
Several guys has said its the one that fits you. But any bowyer can reshape a grip for you, it's all part of buying a custom bow. And if they won't, I wouldn't buy their bow! It's the grip that will make or break any bow for anyone. If the grip doesn't feel right, you'll never shoot that bow good.

Today we see a trend were guys are buying bows based on looks, not performance. And you'll see these bows up for sale within two months because the bows weren't what they thought they'd be. I like a lot of bows, Stalkers, Widows, TallTines, but the grips are too big and not cut the way I want. Most bowyers won't make grips small and thin cause the materials aren't strong enough. That why I shoot all micarta risered bows or metal ilf bows.

Don't ever buy a bow cause your buddy has one and thinks it's the best bow there is. Chances are it's not! Buy a bow that gives you the performance you want, has a grip that fits you perfect, and shoots where you look. Top 3 stick bows? No such thing...

22-Feb-19
Bear grizzly is hard to beat for affordability and shootability. Black widows grip seemed strange and they are bulky. I now shoot a bear grizzly Kodiak magnum and Shakespeare wonderbow. Bob lee are also awesome

22-Feb-19
Bear grizzly is hard to beat for affordability and shootability. Black widows grip seemed strange and they are bulky. I now shoot a bear grizzly Kodiak magnum and Shakespeare wonderbow. Bob lee are also awesome

22-Feb-19
I’m with Kevin on this one, and was actually surprised that it wasn’t more of a common trend on here. Schafer, (even cooler of you can get one made by Paul) Tall Tines and caribow would be my top 3. It’s very personal though I will agree.

22-Feb-19
I would have to go with one of the big hook SR (super recurve) bows the preformance of these bows is phenomenal 38-40# bows shooting 190+ fps with 8 to 10 gpp arrows. border - Morrison & uukha I'd definitely give them a look

22-Feb-19
I will 2nd "super recurves" as the performance and perceived let off in the draw cycle would be attractive to most archers, especially the crossover compound guys. Another new option is Centaur longbow new "Super Curve." Centaur has long been a top reflex/deflect longbow manufacturer and Jim just came out with his Super Curve.

22-Feb-19
I have had many top end recurves and what do I shoot the best a Warf Blackbear riser with a set of PSE Expression limbs about $350 total don't over look this setup if you can find one to try!

22-Feb-19
Tall Tines, Robertson, Morrison. All are great shooters and works of art.

22-Feb-19
Is your fish bucket full yet

22-Feb-19
JK Chastain

22-Feb-19
Wapiti by Kieth Chastain, vintage Browning Wasp, vintage anything from Shakespheare.

22-Feb-19
Schafer Silvertip 1 piece, Talltines, Black Widow

22-Feb-19
I have a Pronghorn long bow that I won at the CBA Banquest that has Zebra Wood limbs and riser that I haven't shot yet. Hope to shoot it soon.

23-Feb-19
Call me crazy but I still think Black Widow is hard to beat.

23-Feb-19
Black Widows have great customer service, they are bombproof but they are no doubt of average performance. They can be loud at the shot but they can be quieted. Nothing really wrong with them but for performance, Borders, Stalker, Caribows are tough to beat as well as many others. I presently shoot an older RER made by Kevin, great performing bow and the workmanship is awesome. Shawn

23-Feb-19
Any recurve can be loud if not tuned properly. Correct brace height, nock setting, string silencers, properly spined arrow, etc. As someone noted above, get an ILF 'hunting' riser, modest limbs, and work your way up.

23-Feb-19
Depends largely on your shooting method...I prefer short yet extreme mass bows. Short for maneuverability and also because I use a nontechnical release so finger pinch is totally eliminated. Extreme mass because to shoot accurately you need to hold close to dead steady and mass helps a lot. With the right combination and I won't go into details here, but such a bow can be shot as accurately as a tournament bow.

If that seems dubious, put both in a shooting machine and you'll see the accuracy potential is essential equal. An inquisitive minded person may ponder precisely what subtracts from that accuracy and how can the subtraction be minimized in real world shooting.

23-Feb-19
"nontechnical" should read "nonmechanical"...darn spell corrector...

23-Feb-19
Personal preference. What works for one person , may not work for others.

• Sitka Gear