snapcrackpop 25-May-11
snapcrackpop 25-May-11
snapcrackpop 25-May-11
PTArcher1 25-May-11
.204guy 25-May-11
snapcrackpop 25-May-11
Darrell 25-May-11
24-May-11
While at the chiropractor today I asked him about some foot problems I've been having. Turns out I have some decent pronation going on. Which would explain the pain I get in my metatarsal's and big toes. He sells the foot levelers custom orthodics. Anybody used them. Any model better than another for backpacking?

I've tried orange super feet, they don't do anything for me. I've also tried some really thick cushony spenco's to help my metarsals they don't feel any better either.

25-May-11
If you have severe pronation, and it is causing pain you will probably need a custom orthotic. They are expensive ($150.00- $300.00 usually) but you can typically use the same one for all your shoes. They are worth every penny. Don't get one from you chiropractor. Go to a podiatrist or an orthopedic surgeon. Where do you live in Wyoming? If you are near Fort Collins, CO or would be willing to come down this way, I can recommend a really good one of each. Both will give you a good asessment and not just immediately tell you to get a custom orthotic. Let me know if you want those names and numbers.

25-May-11
Foot levelers are custom orthodics. They aren't cheap but they are effective. In addition to an orthodic, work on improving your balance and strengthening your foot muscles. Foot drills consisting of walking 10-20 yards on your heels, toes, outside of foot, and then inside of foot work great. Wooble boards are great for balance. Good luck.

25-May-11
I have successfully treated many people with footlevelers products. $200 to $350, but a money-back guarantee. How many podiatrists can do that? I would guess in my office that one out of 15 would return the product. You have leather and cloth options with the FLEXIBLE custom made orthotic. They are a great option at a fair price!

25-May-11
To answer your question... the website doesn't show it yet, but the "in motion" one has the moisture sucking top with silver threads for odor and bacteria control.

Or one with a leather top "XT" for better durability. Take them out at the end of the day to dry and "air out" and they will last longer.

25-May-11
"Sucking" should be wicking... lol.

25-May-11
The advice given about strengthening the muscles of your feet is excellent. Pronation by itself is a normal process. Of course, like many things, too much can be bad. Most people I see with metatarsal pain do well with foot exercises coupled with a metatarsal pad. This is a relatively small dome shaped pad that fits just on the arch side of the ball of your foot. Its design allows reduction of pressure over the metatarsal heads. They sell for about $2. Remember, the more rigid of an orthotic you put in your shoes, the less your intrinsic (internal) foot muscles work- thus they promote weakness. Now in severe cases, this is a good compromise, but wouldn't be my first course of action.

25-May-11
Thanks for the help. The stiffer the boot I wear the less pain I seem to have, but I don't want to have to wear mountaineering boot to go for a day hike. If I wear a light hiker like Lowa renegades my feet are on serious pain after about 3 miles. Will just wearing them and toughing it out help strengthen and maybe toughen up my feet or will I likely be doing more harm than good?

PTarcher1 do you have anything to add to lakeside's exercises? Reps, duration, how often? I would assume to do this without shoes on. I sure like the idea of strengthening my feet over using an artificial device to compensate. Thanks

25-May-11
FL has the metatarsal pad as well. Three arch support, medial arch (heel to big toe), metatarsal arch (big toe to little toe) and lateral arch support (little toe to heel).

Here's my take on many types of foot pain... because we often change shoes, boots and sometimes go barefoot, we are changing the stresses/support on your feet. This frequent change causes tendonitis/inflammation. By having the SAME footbed/orthotic in all your footwear, you minimize the changes between them. Either that or go barefoot all the time (not an option).

Whatever you do, get this metatarsal pain fixed now. You do not want it to deveolp into an interdigital neuroma.

25-May-11
My Chiropractor had me get "Foot Levelers" brand orthotics five years ago because I was having plantar fascitous (sp?) and a problem I had fought for months went away completely in less than a week. Every now and then I can feel it coming back and I go back to wearing them in everything and it goes away again.

If you trust your chiropractor and he has the proper training, I'd do it in a heart beat. A good chiropractor can help much more than just a stiff back. I also believe in good podiatrists, but don't discount it just because the advice didn't come from one.

• Sitka Gear