EmbryOklahoma 02-Mar-16
jims 02-Mar-16
arctichill 02-Mar-16
midwest 03-Mar-16
HDE 03-Mar-16
flyingbrass 03-Mar-16
bentstick 03-Mar-16
10-Jun-11
Would love to see pics and hear the stories of any bow killed, free range Ibex or Oryx from NM.

10-Jun-11
I don't think you will see any! Just saying. I shot a nice oryx in NM with a gun and there ain't no way in hell you could kill one there in 2 days with a bow especially since there is absolutely no pre scouting! They are alot wilder than you think. They have continued to cut tags. I'll be surprised to see one example of a free range once in a lifetime oryx but I have been wrong before.

10-Jun-11
I think I remember an article in Eastmans BH Journal a couple of years ago from a guy that killed an Ibex with a bow. I'm sure he's not the only one.

I would LOVE to do that hunt. Shot down in the draw this year....

10-Jun-11
I don't have pictures but a friend of mine from Alaska guides with a guy in NM for ibex.He has shot two with a bow!I'll try to get ahold of the pictures,but he is hard to reach because he works on the north slope and don't always return emails very quikly.This being said it obviously can be done!

11-Jun-11
I believe that Darren Collins killed an ibex with his bow....

11-Jun-11

flyingbrass's embedded Photo
flyingbrass's embedded Photo
I still stand by my ruling. Almost impossible to kill an oryx in a place you can't scout, an animal you never hunted, and it's a once in a lifetime hunt and you are limited to only 2 days. Success rates were not that high last year on Rhodes Canyon so if they can't get it done with a gun it would be much harder with a bow. Not to mention the fee to access the gubberment land which was over $200 plus the high dollar tag of $1600 or whatever it is. Come to think of it I think they changed oryx to a 3 day hunt since success rates were so low with a gun. Anyway here is my 40.5" bull with a gun. I try not to post gun kills here but it seems ok in this instance since there won't be a WSMR oryx bow kill posted. LOL, I am really setting myself up to eat crow probably. I can't comment on Ibex but I'd like to hunt one.

11-Jun-11
Ibex isn't that hard with a bow. The success rate is at least 0.5%! It's going to go up to 0.51% after I'm done this winter. HaHa.

11-Jun-11
The Ibex with bow would be a great feat , ABQBW see u on them mountains ,,

11-Jun-11
Very cool, fb!

11-Jun-11
Jake,

That is correct. Darrin Collins did kill one with a bow. He was a wealth of information to me when I went. I don't think there's anything Darrin has hunted that he hasn't killed though. He's a natural!

Another guy who killed a beauty while I was out there was a guy named Riley Manzonie. He is the owner of Currant Creek Outfitters in NV, and one helluva bowhunter. I know he's also taken an Oryx.

Don't have any pictures of ibex or oryx, but I think I do have a picture of a monkey washing a cat? ;^)

Watts

11-Jun-11

Gus's embedded Photo
Gus's embedded Photo
i killed this ibex in 2008. a great hunt. awesome animals.

11-Jun-11

Gus's embedded Photo
Gus's embedded Photo
here is another one that Bim killed while I hunted with him. at the time, this one was the world record persian ibex killed with a bow in 2008.

11-Jun-11
Gus,

Great Animals,

What happened to that second one, did it roll or fall? With both front legs/knees and back left side of belly and ham bloody, it just seems like that was quite the show of the wheels coming off the bus after the shot.

What an amazing accomplishment. Alex

11-Jun-11
Alex, we tried to clean him up the best we could for that photo. they had to sneak up on him for a second shot plus the terrain is rocky and very steep.

11-Jun-11
Gus,

Awesome animals is right. Unreal.

Watts,

Post it up! lol

11-Jun-11
awesome thread. thats one of my dream hunts...and Ibex with a bow!!

I wonder if they can be hunted in the Alps...Id rather go to Europe than NM!

11-Jun-11
[IMG]http://i212.photobucket.com/albums/cc296/Laughing_Gull/monkey-washing-a-cat.gif[/IMG]

Here you go. For the record, I tried like hell to get a good grip-n-grin with an ibex. Damn things just woulddn't cooperate!

Gus,

Those goats are truely something!! That looks like just south of the Little Florida's, correct?

Watts

11-Jun-11
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m9wAqNN-Dic&feature=player_detailpage

Let's try this again.

11-Jun-11
Oh, just cut and paste the above link. Fricken computers! :^(

12-Jun-11
gus congras but do tell about your hunt how far the shot etc etc etc any other opps ,,

12-Jun-11
a small herd was climbing up the canyon to get away from some other hunters and they came across the area I was in. The billie I ended up killing, jumped off the cliff face above me and landed on the ledge I was on. he landed on the other side of a juniper bush about 6 feet away. the dust from his landing surrounded me. I had heard them coming and so I had an arrow nocked already. he tried looking through the juniper bush at me and then started to walk out on the ledge we were both on to look at the other hunters that had spooked him and the other ibex. as he looked down the canyon, he was quartering away at about 4 or 5 yards. I came to full draw but he picked up the movement (it's like they have eyes on the back of their head) and he jumped off the cliff face.

when he jumped off that cliff, he landed about 25 yards below but to get out of the area, he had to climb the opposite face. I had ranged every thing on that face and when he paused by a rock that I had ranged at 35 yards, I shot him. He was quartering away and the arrow entered behind the last rib and exited behind the far shoulder.

he ran up the cliff face and died at the top and got stuck in a crevass in the face. it was about 10 stories straight up and no way to retrieve him. I had to hire a rock climber with all the safety gear to lower him down the cliff face for me the next day.

12-Jun-11
Well looks like Gus beat me to it,couldn't find my pics.Bim Blake is who I was referring to.

12-Jun-11
Wow, Gus, what a story. Congrats again.

12-Jun-11
nice story. I also drew a tag this winter. pretty stoked. nice pics. ibex are just impressive

13-Jun-11
Oryx with bow is doable, but time limit hurts, bad. I bowhunted 1-1/4 days and came really close then tagged out rifle.

13-Jun-11
Gus great shot wow it would be safe to say these mountains are nasty .

13-Jun-11

elkmtngear's Link
Gus, that is an amazing story!! What an adventure!

Best of Luck, Jeff

13-Jun-11
That's a fantastic story and an awesome animal Gus!

-Matt n Cheryl

13-Jun-11
Way to go Gus...

01-Mar-16

nvbowhuntress's embedded Photo
nvbowhuntress's embedded Photo
Here is my brother Riley Manzonie's record archery Ibex

01-Mar-16
The best way to get an oryx with a bow is to do the off range hunt, either public land draw or private OTC. You have a month that way...

I agree, they are pretty wild, but it would be neat to get one with a bow. I thought about it this year on my Feb hunt, but opted to just take the easy way out. Their meat is too good to worry about a bow kill.

01-Mar-16
My Ibex was with muzzleloader, I actually ate my Oryx tag. Drew them both my first year applying

01-Mar-16
kill rate on NM oryx isn't as high as you think with rifle, look at the odds!

01-Mar-16
and Ibex is way way worse!

02-Mar-16
Just wondering why everyone calls them oryx in the states while the same people would call them gemsbok in Africa. Is it simply because that's what the game commission calls them?

02-Mar-16
Congrats to Riley! Wow!

02-Mar-16
No real excuse for me on the Oryx. Think I drew it too early in my hunting learning process.....lots of mistakes.

I have not posted any Ibex photos as not bow. But here you go if you want https://picasaweb.google.com/115516601528181241557/Ibex?authkey=Gv1sRgCILiwqu5ioS6tgE

02-Mar-16
Kill rates may not be as high on oryx, but the opportunities to do so are way higher than one would think as well.

Out of 13 oryx hunts I've been on, 11 kills and two no kills. On the two, opportunities were presented but resulted in misses.

02-Mar-16
A buddy of mine from 2015

02-Mar-16

TeamWarrior's MOBILE embedded Photo
TeamWarrior's MOBILE embedded Photo

A buddy of mine from 2015

02-Mar-16
"I don't think you will see any! Just saying. I shot a nice oryx in NM with a gun and there ain't no way in hell you could kill one there in 2 days with a bow especially since there is absolutely no pre-scouting! They are alot wilder than you think."

I did the White Sands oryx hunt 6-7 years ago. I didn't like the two-day limit, high tag cost, Oklahoma Land Rush atmosphere, etc. To each his own, I suppose. Did manage to rifle kill one at long range.

02-Mar-16
Don't forget the fee to the US Guberment to hunt! Is it $200 or $250 for that fee?

02-Mar-16
here's mine from 2011:

02-Mar-16

bentstick's embedded Photo

02-Mar-16

and here's one from 2015

02-Mar-16
Very nice, Lance! That would definitely be a hunt I'd love to do!

02-Mar-16
It's obvious from the pics above that it's possible to harvest an ibex w/bow...although a tough chore. We haven't seen 1 photo of a NM oryx harvested during the short 2 or 3 day base hunts! I was fortunate to harvest a whopper oryx with rifle on one of these hunts but I would have to agree with the majority of those that have said that an on base oryx would be super tough with bow.

02-Mar-16
I know one guy who arrowed an oryx with a bow and then the oryx entered a "closed area" and although the shot was good, the area was 100% off limits and even military personnel would not enter the area....animal lost.

I know another guy who successfully harvested and recovered a very nice oryx with a bow on a "badge hunt".

I believe ibex require more luck than oryx to get with a bow. My good friend "smarba" [his handle on this site] has taken two gorgeous ibex with his bow....very impressive!

03-Mar-16
Outstanding, bentstick! Great pics and fantastic trophies!

03-Mar-16
JacobNisley

Africa calls them Gemsbok which is a Danish word for "tan buck" or something like that.

We call them Oryx in NM because of the taxonomy of 'Oryx Gazella'

03-Mar-16
I didn't say tough. I said "Almost impossible to kill an oryx in a place you can't scout, an animal you never hunted, and it's a once in a lifetime hunt and you are limited to only 2 days"

03-Mar-16
I'll give it a go if I can ever draw.

• Sitka Gear