altitude sick 09-Oct-18
spike78 09-Oct-18
Bou'bound 09-Oct-18
powder 09-Oct-18
Bowriter 09-Oct-18
Bowriter 09-Oct-18
Zbone 09-Oct-18
30-Aug-11
Anyone know who has the most official P&Y whitetails entered in the record book?

30-Aug-11
Must be someone that lives in the midwest. I do know who has the most Sitka blacktails. That game hog guy from Alaska.

30-Aug-11
Dan, I figured it might be Myles Keller. I saw the other post about him and was wondering if he's still at it?

30-Aug-11
Blacktail Bob,

I don't know the answer and don't have the records to look it up. However, I know of a man from VA that has quite a few. I am pretty sure that I counted 40+ under his name in the past. I understand from very reliable personal communication that this man has just had his 58th P&Y deer measured. I don't know how many are actually in the records list at this point but I have every reason to believe the validity of these numbers. Might be somebody with more though, I don't know.

30-Aug-11
I don't feel that P&Y numbers are credability to a hunter as if I had the money to do it I could hunt in all these trophy rich states like Iowa and IL. I hunt in MA, which has few deer numbers therefore I do not have the opportunity to rack up deer numbers. I'm sure if I paid for all these guided hunts I could have a few under my belt. So their are alot of things to consider when giving a person that much credit. In my state with low numbers ANY deer is a trophy in my book.

30-Aug-11
It doesnt take big bucks , as in coin to do it. I have a buddy in jersey with 6 PY deer over the last 10 years , it takes skill and desire, a 125 inch deer is hard but not THAT hard , i dont want to make it out to so easy as i only have two but .... a guy having 50 or even 20 is something ...... for any state

30-Aug-11
No one said anything about giving anyone anything. This is supposed to be debate free, so please respect that aspect of it. Thank You

30-Aug-11
David Rogers?

30-Aug-11
some people like 'staying in the closet' with their kills! I know a man that passes on more P&Y Bucks a year than most see in a lifetime....and probably more in 5 years than 'who ever holds the record' for 'the most listed in P&Y'.......

You have to hunt where they are and you have to have many many days afield during bow season and yet scout ALL YEAR to know where they are. You have to live Big Deer 365 days a year and 24 hours a day!

Myles has a lot of legal P&Y Bucks! Mitch Rompolla has taken many legally also..... My money is on Myles for the #'s listed in P&Y as Legal Bow Kills!.......

30-Aug-11
We cant get those kinda numbers in illinois without being a out of state outfitter client since we have a two buck limit. I think i have ten that would go but i dont enter them. IM 33 so maybe ill hit 35 or so by the time i quit? I sure hope. If i do get there, ill get there by finding all of them myself and not paying another man for a lease or spending money on outfitters.

30-Aug-11
Clint,

So, you have none then, right?

30-Aug-11
Mike Weaver (VA) would be my guess....

30-Aug-11
i guess i have one in the book. I am an scorer so i know what they score :) just a personal choice not to enter.

31-Aug-11
Maybe Charlie will chime in. He usually has a pretty good grasp of what is in the record book.

31-Aug-11
Gotta be Lee or Tiffany.

31-Aug-11
Bob: There is a search you can do with the P&Y CD that comes with the record book. I don't know how to do that but the gentlemen who developed the cd for P&Y is a Bowsite regular and I can PM you his handle if you want.

I am pretty sure the guy mentioned from Virginia has the most at around 50. There are of course many ways to look at the number of entries. For example "most over 150 Net". C

31-Aug-11
moose, lee and tiffany get the award for spending the most money yearly to kill trophy deer.

31-Aug-11
Or making the most!

31-Aug-11
Ronnie Parsons from Lubbock, Texas is over 30 I believe. Most taken on his lease near San Angelo, Texas.

31-Aug-11
Blacktail - This isn't directly related to your question, but I was wondering if there is a time limit to getting a buck entered into the book.

As far as what you asked, I'd heard Myles Keller had the most years ago, very likely that's changed since then (or that it wasn't correct when I heard it originally!).

31-Aug-11
I don’t think there is a time limit. As long as the hunter can complete the certification required to submit the application, I think it will be accepted. I know I've seen entries accepted from many years prior that have occurred in a large group.

I've always thought Mr. Myles Keller was an amazing hunter and havent heard much about him recently. His consistent success with huge whitetails is really something.

31-Aug-11
Pope and Young bucks are often just 3 year old deer. If a hunter has time and money, he/she can rack up 6-10 per year. I.E. Montana, North Dakota, Nebraska, Kansas, Illinois, Iowa, Canada and Texas. Ten years of going after it could yield 60-100 Pope and Young bucks.

Some of the sponsored TV personalities or rich dudes and dudettes have probably passed up Myles Keller or Mike Weaver big time.

My guess would be there are a few who have over 100 pope and young bucks to their credit whether they are entered or not.

31-Aug-11
Rough Country, I'm pretty sure you meant that a person hunting all of these states in one season could accumulate that many bucks. Please correct me if I have misunderstood.

For anyone who misunderstood, I know that Nebraska, for instance, only allows the harvest of two antlered deer per season. We can shoot as many antler less deer as we are willing to purchase permits for, but we can only obtain two permits that allow for the harvest of antlered deer.

31-Aug-11
I heard from someone last year the Greg Ritz had taken over the lead from Myles Keller. Not sure how true it is but it makes sense. The guy has the time and money to do it.

31-Aug-11
Greg Ritz probably doesn't have the lead on me on "Pope and Young" bucks. Maybe 125" plus bucks but not P&Y bucks.

31-Aug-11
Bob,

knowing you are a P&Y member I am assuming you are wanting P&Y entries not bucks that are net 125 and over?

You need to bring your better half out here to Ohio and I am sure the 2 of you would have a very good crack at both of you taking a 125+ buck. Plus it only would cost you a $165 for N.R. license and tag each.

31-Aug-11
Yes, I was referring to hunting multiple states to get as many buck tags as possible. I'm not endorsing it although it's perfectly legal.

I have no clue what they do with all the meat besides making a public spectacle of donating to "feed the hungry."

Back to P&Y bucks, most guys that shoot some 130-140 class bucks start holding for even bigger deer unless they have some way to display all the heads. Most guys wouldn't continue to pay entry fees for 125" deer.

I remember working for an antler dealer and recognizing some mounted heads of Dick Idol. He apparently was thinning out a few from his personal collection. One was featured in North American Whitetail magazine a few years earlier.

31-Aug-11
i dont know about the official record book, but i bet some creek or cherokee indian from about a 1000 years ago has the most with a bow.

31-Aug-11
I doubt the Indian thing very much. More whitetails around now because of improved habitat and far superior efficiency regarding equipment today. Likewise, life expectancy was likely less than 30 years for those guys back then. Heck its not much more than that for Alaskan natives now.

31-Aug-11
I thought it was kind of odd that a P&Y scorer would boast about having several qualifying bucks and not enter them in the club's record book. I think scorers are supposed to encourage folks to enter their animals as it promotes Club objectives

I may be wrong, but when I looked under Illinois, I didn't see a scorer listed under the name of Clinton Harvey. Did I look in the wrong place?

02-Sep-11
"letting them WALK is the hard part" ..... but very satisfying! I'd say MYLES has the most legal bow killed whitetails 'one on one'.....man against wild free roaming deer.

For someone 'in the industry' and having to 'produce' all the time....it takes the FUN out of what bow hunting really is! The pressure to 'produce', and in todays world of 'getting it of video'.....has given many people the illusion of 'greatness'!...both viewer and hunter alike!

Some of 'the greats' you DON'T see them bowhunting on TV or in videos!

I saw a 'guy' on TV today that I would never hunt with (actually a bunch of them today on TV!)

Constructive and Positive!....(darn, I seen that too late).......so I must add Myles #1 and then the ones hiding in 'the closet' for the rest! And there are many hiding in 'the closet'! They got my respect!!

02-Sep-11
There are a lot of deer seen on TV that even though they are shot with a bow, they still won't qualify for P&Y. I see so many of these "Pros" shooting the lighted nocks. I may be wrong but I think that alone would disqualify a buck from being entered.

02-Sep-11
nobody from ny

02-Sep-11
would this be foodplot raised & enhanced P&Y or free range "un enhanced" truely wild P&Y... honestly its not my saying but after hanging out with some guys who take the horn size serious at a local pro shop I guess there is a difference now that was unkown to me and big scoring dear taken from certain guides do not get a 2nd look anymore because of all the supplements they recieve through foodplots..

02-Sep-11
Some of the best hunters i know, dont enter,so how would you ever know,and why would anyone reall;y give a chit?

05-Sep-11
I agree Brian, who cares...?

05-Sep-11
I give you Whitetail hunters credit, i just came back from my second whitetail hunt.between the two hunts i had sat in the stand 10 hours a day(5 in morning and 5 at night)for a total of 13 days, i did score but sitting there hour after hour,WOW, i hunt the west spot and stalk, even if i do not see a animal,at least i am seeing different country. anyways my hat is off to the guys that can sit day after day in the stand.

05-Sep-11
Pope and Young bucks are often just 3 year old deer. If a hunter has time and money, he/she can rack up 6-10 per year. I.E. Montana, North Dakota, Nebraska, Kansas, Illinois, Iowa, Canada and Texas. Ten years of going after it could yield 60-100 Pope and Young bucks.

I would agree with the above quote.

1. Here in northeast Iowa we can get two buck tags per year.

2. A 125" deer is nothing around here. If you shoot a 125" deer no one will look twice. I can not tell you how many 125" deer I pass per year.

3. I do not know of anyone around here who enters thier deer in those record books. No need to tell everyone else what you shot.

Just my thoughts

the dog

06-Sep-11
north east Iowa 2 archery buck tags ? Only if you get an archery license and a landowners license or an archery license and a shotgun license.

07-Sep-11
A man with a pocket full of money!!!

07-Sep-11
This question vividly illustrates what is wrong with hunting today. It's all about numbers and promoting yourself.

07-Sep-11
I guess the DEBATE FREE, All responses must be Constructive and Positive button isn't working.

08-Oct-18
i killed over 200 whitetails and 31 p&y. i dont know what the record is but noth of tn i only kill 160s up turned down many over the years that just made book if i killed them all i would say 60 to 70 p&y bucks .. my name chris cordell . I did the Double slam on whitetails in 94 nobody else has ever did that. I gave my life to helping others with their hunting if anyone ever needs ny help my email [email protected]. i worked for Nikon over 20 years trebark camo 30 easton arrows 24 pse 6 hca 21 white muzzloaders 6 and i helped many of companies design the best products for hunting and archery. i got hurt little over ten years ago had to take a leave but im back working my ass off to help everyone i can

09-Oct-18
There not a Pope and Young buck unless they have been entered into The Pope & Young club. Until then there just a contender pretender! >>>>———>

09-Oct-18

09-Oct-18
This should get interesting...lol

09-Oct-18
How do you even find a thread from 2011....

09-Oct-18
Hell, there’s actually been some really good threads that are worthwhile reads. This?

09-Oct-18
I would add that when Miles Keller and Dick Idol were in their prime. The Whitetail Numbers or quality in 10 different states was no where near what they are now. The deer also didn’t have names so they where harder to keep track of and kill.

09-Oct-18
Worth repeating: "They are not a Pope and Young buck unless they have been entered into The Pope & Young club.

09-Oct-18
The number entered should be available from the P&Y Club. All the others are discussion, speculation, and maybe even fantasy conjecture, not worth debating.

09-Oct-18
big difference between a true P&Y buck and a P&Y class buck. Can't be true P&Y without taking care of the paperwork and check writing steps in the process. I would expect that less than 10% of P&Y class deer actually get into the books.

I was looking at the 1999 book the other day. Not a lot of excitement about being tied (nearly a decade ago) with about 10 pages of names (small front) for 18,117th place with a 125 0/8 inch deer.

09-Oct-18
I have a friend who claimed to kill over 35 by the time he was 30 years old. Not sure how many were entered into the books. I agree with above posts, if it isn't entered in the records, it shouldn't count. I have zero in the book and have no interest in entering any that " could make it". Keller was my childhood idol tho....

09-Oct-18
buck6666/Chris Cordell, I remember reading about your double slam years ago. That was an unheard of feat back in those days! Thankyou for your dedication to other hunters, that is very admirable sir. I had no idea you worked for or with all those companies.

09-Oct-18
I'd like to see the guy who's take the most P&Y from public lands ....

09-Oct-18
I sat in the trophy room of a friend of mine and counted 26, they all had the P&Y certificates displayed under them. That was several years ago.

09-Oct-18
What is the whitetail double slam?

09-Oct-18
Also what is a professional whitetail hunter?

09-Oct-18
I heard that title was held by Pat Reeve. His bio on the Outdoor Channel's website says he has "over 50" pope and young whitetails.

09-Oct-18
Guess he gets paid to sit in tree stands with a tie on?

09-Oct-18
lol there's only one guy who raged all over this site about single season slams, and double bearded single malt simmons slams etc.

09-Oct-18
I have a friend who had 10 in the book but another 20 that would make it. He is an official measurer. He said he don't enter them anymore unless they will make B&C and P&Y! Shawn

09-Oct-18
Just a clarification on what is possible in Iowa...any resident hunter can legally bag two bucks per year with archery tackle. One on a regular anysex archery tag and the second on a late season muzzleloader tag, where the use of archery tackle is permitted. A resident landowner can then bag a third buck with archery tackle if they so choose, they would do this via using their one free landowner tag annually as an archery tag, anysex tag. Now some people do take down 2-3 bucks per year this way, but not a big number. One archery buck is usually the annual outcome.

This does not take into account special "city" zones and such, where a person could shoot another buck, perhaps more, per year. Meanwhile, I know people that have several dozen P&Y qualifying heads to their credit and no one knows a thing about them, at least in terms of record books, etc.

09-Oct-18
Ed F should know the answer...

09-Oct-18
I know I am tied for the fewest in the book. I have arrowed some that might beat 125”, but I have not had them measured and wouldn’t enter them if I did or if I shot a real big one. Nothing against those that enter them, just not my thing.

09-Oct-18
Bill Jordan has a bunch and so does roger raglin

09-Oct-18
I would enter all of mine but couldn’t find the line to enter the deers name.

09-Oct-18
My short bow disqualifies me from entering but some “pro” sitting in a heated box blind in Iowa on a private land $5000 hunt can enter his with a few extra inch longer bow lol. Nice

09-Oct-18
Spike just another way being short gets treated poorly in society

09-Oct-18
A question asking "Who has most P&Y Whitetails?" is more than likely the single biggest reason that Midwest bucks never get entered in the "Book". Proficient bowhunters in the Midwest who harvest deer greater than the P&Y minimum simply don't see any reason to let everyone know. Most quickly set the bar higher year after year instead of using their buck tag on a deer that is not that uncommon. As others have mentioned, Myles Keller would be right up there but i'm not much of a quiver sniffer anymore to really care who has filled out the papers and wrote a check.

09-Oct-18
What is that guy's name from Alabama? I bet he has the most. He is the one that developed the "Alabama Heart Shot", or something. Great turkey hunter.

09-Oct-18
Here is the definitive answer and it cannot be refuted. The answer is....Pope and Young.

09-Oct-18
Just realized this thread is 7 years old...

• Sitka Gear