Pat Lefemine 31-Oct-22
bluedog 31-Oct-22
fuzzy 01-Nov-22
t-roy 01-Nov-22
Two Feathers 05-Nov-22
Jaquomo 05-Nov-22
DonVathome 05-Nov-22
03-Nov-11
Tis the season of the cold. How do you refrain from coughing while on the stand?

03-Nov-11
I usually just try to muffle it in my coat or gloved hands. Had a new experience last year though. I had 2 does and a small buck hanging out 20-30 yards from my stand, on a relatively quiet and windless morning. A sneeze was coming and I can't hold them in like a lot of people. Out it came, muffled by my hands. None of those deer even looked at me. 15 seconds later a couple coughs were inevitable. Again, didn't even look at me. Now my nose is running like crazy. So, I grab a couple kleenex from my pocket and blow it out, not even caring about the deer anymore. Still didn't spook them. So, either I am much quieter than what it sounds like to me, or it just wasn't sounds that they were concerned with.

04-Nov-11
I take a old stocking cap and cut the top off...use it as a neck wrap...pull it up over your nose and breath in warm air...will help you alot...

04-Nov-11
I seem to ALWAYS get a ticle in my throat and cough at least once while on stand. I bought a cough silencer and they work.

04-Nov-11
several folks have told me that deer have rushed in when they cough. I use gum.

04-Nov-11
+1 r man. something to keep your wistle moist will help. gum, hard candy, camelback etc.

04-Nov-11
Fart instead.

04-Nov-11
I have coughed out loud with deer in front of me before and they didn't even look at me. It would seem like a sure fire way to scare deer away, but think about how often you hear deer cough or make similar noise OR if you hunt near cows, they are coughing all the time. I'd say its a common enough of a noise that it won't really scare anything. That being said, I usually just try to keep them small and quite if I can.

04-Nov-11
I have coughed out loud with deer in front of me before and they didn't even look at me. It would seem like a sure fire way to scare deer away, but think about how often you hear deer cough or make similar noise OR if you hunt near cows, they are coughing all the time. I'd say its a common enough of a noise that it won't really scare anything. That being said, I usually just try to keep them small and quite if I can.

04-Nov-11

04-Nov-11
If you are really sick with a bad cough... Codeine and comtrex will stop the coughing offset with a giant Red Bull to stay awake!! Remember, self-medicate at your own risk....

04-Nov-11
Try Cough-Lok. Its pretty good. Their motto is "Forget the sound just hack"

04-Nov-11
COUGH JUICE!!!!!!!!!

05-Nov-11
Try Cough-Lok. Its pretty good. Their motto is "Forget the sound just hack"

30-Oct-22
Any new information out there on this?

30-Oct-22
It seems every year I have to deal with this at some point. I hate it. I just fill my pockets with cough candies and hit em hard.

30-Oct-22
A cough is definitely the sort of sound that deer will often ignore. I’ve also tried to scare them away with a fart - it’s impossible. I almost shat my pants trying.

But barely tap your arrow against your riser … now everyone’s on high alert!!

30-Oct-22
Saxton when you bought the cough silencer do you know if you wound up on some federal list?

30-Oct-22
I’ve been fighting a cold for the last couple of weeks and actually avoided my best location as mucus/phlegm would dislodge and cause almost instantaneous coughing fits and I didn’t want to mess up that spot.

Early last week I had a doe and button bed down within 20 feet of the base of my tree. I just knew that doe would blow out of there with the first cough or two. Over the next 45 minutes I had 8-10 of those coughing fits before she finally noticed me 20 feet above her and decided to relocate. Like others, I would have thought a cough would be an instant alert/danger sound, and was quite surprised that she just basically ignored it.

I still hate coughing on the stand, though!

30-Oct-22
I try to stay ahead of it. My nose runs in the cold and I get post nasal drip. I take an allegra in the morning before going out and use flonase most mornings during hunting season to dry things out.... now, if I could just stop farting...

30-Oct-22
lol@Nick

30-Oct-22
There's a certain kind of cough drops I've used..can't think of the name brand but they actually help a good bit, wish I could remember the brand

31-Oct-22
I had bronchitis during a Kansas bowhunt. I had a cough silencer overnight ed and man, did that thing work well. I don't know if they still sell it, but you may be able to find one on eBay.

31-Oct-22

bluedog's Link
New on Ebay for $29.95 and free shipping

01-Nov-22
I sip moonshine. It doesn't help the cough much.

01-Nov-22
After awhile, you probably don’t care, eh fuzzy? ;-)

05-Nov-22
I checked on line to buy but couldn't find any for sale. You Tube had a video on how to build your own. I tried that and it worked.

05-Nov-22
National Lampoon had a "rumor" contest many years ago, and the winner was, "If you cough, sneeze and fart at the same time, you will die."

05-Nov-22
I figured a cough would scare a deer but I never tested it. After readng this and thinking I agree with what many said/observed. Deer make similiar sounds and I doubt it would scare them. If they were right below you it might - because they know there are no other deer around.

I have seen several times were deer spooked each other. One group in the distance I could see from my stand were feeding and another group walked up under me. First group thought deer below me was a hunter and ran off. Them running off spooked the deer below me. Funny. The 2nd group was acting like deer do NOT a hunter walking etc. In other words the first group definitely should not have spooked.

• Sitka Gear