Matt 14-Apr-12
Ambush 15-Apr-12
Ermine 15-Apr-12
Ambush 16-Apr-12
wyobullshooter 16-Apr-12
Ambush 16-Apr-12
DonSchultz 16-Apr-12
12-Apr-12
I am a semi heavy arrow guy. I usually shoot an arrow that weighs 470-500 grains. For the past few years I have been shooting the Carbon tech rhinos. I recently bought a couple dozen Easton Axis 340 spine carbon arrows. Thought I might give them a try. So I fletched them up and I am liking the flight and accuracy. I weighed them and the arrows are weighing 420 ish grains with a 125 grain point. I thought about bumping up to a 150 grain point to add an extra 25 grains to weight my arrow more. But I am wondering with the increase will I have to move to .300 spine axis arrows? You guys opinion.

12-Apr-12
Justin, I to shoot the 340's and love them! They blow through just about everything I've shot including a bull at 48 yards with two rib bone contacts.... My arrows with 100 grain bh way 417-420.

I'm thinking if you do go up to 150 gn heads better to be a little on the stiff side then weak. Chris

12-Apr-12
Yea thats what i am thinking too Chris. Maybe I will just stay with what i have and not bump up.

12-Apr-12
Poundage? Cut length? Draw length?

Why the change?

12-Apr-12
I shoot the 340 and they weigh 425 grains and have done a great job on deer, elk, turkey. I think you would have to go to the 300's

12-Apr-12
Matt- You know..really no reason other than I get bored and tinker with things all the time. That and the small diameter intrigued me. I might just stay with what I got. As 125 grain points and broad heads are more readily available.

70 lb limbs its actually maxed out at 73 lbs, arrow is 27.5 inch long, 27 inch draw

12-Apr-12

Beendare's embedded Photo
Beendare's embedded Photo
Matts right....you left out a few important details.

FWIW, I have been shooting the Axis for many years and like them a lot. They are far more durable than the other Carbon Express and GT arrows I've tried. Are they the best possible arrow....probably not. And I shoot 300's which show a bit overspined on the chart with my 70# setup with a QAD dropaway- but they've tune well on 3 different bows. With some rests, you may not get the ease of tuning.

I highly recommend a jig to sand the ends square during assembly

13-Apr-12
I'm shooting FMJ 300 with 150 gr, VPA out of a CE @ 65# & 28.5". 550 gr. total weight. Only way to know if the 300 will tune with your set-up and 125 gr head, is to try it. I would think they would be fine, and would get your total weight closer to what you want.

13-Apr-12

ElkNut1's embedded Photo
ElkNut1's embedded Photo

ElkNut1's Link
Justin, the Easton Axis N-Fused 340 arrow is very tough! I took 2 bulls with that arrow 2 years ago at 429grn with a 125grn SnufferSS, both were aprox 40yd shots.

Too, I just did a bunch of testing with it & a few other brands, it is one tough son of a gun! I test through 5/16" cement board, 4-7 layers. Here is a photo of the Axis at 429grn & a VAP 350 at 40yds through 6 sheets of this stuff. Notice how close the penetration is between the VAP & Easton, the VAP has a 92grn steel insert & 125head for a head wt. of 217grn & total arrow wt of 440grn. The easton has a 125grn head that nearly equaled the VAP. Now the furthest out VAP is the exact arrow with a 100grn head, it only went into 3 layers & was denied! The 125grn head out did it in all rounds as did the Easton shaft!

ElkNut1

14-Apr-12
I shoot the same arrow ( Axis 340 ) cut at 29" with a 125 head ( Magnus Stinger Buzzcut or a Wacum sp?) and mine come out at about 460 +.

But mine are the camo ones. So that is one way to bump up the weight without changing the head wt.

The 340 camo Axis is 10.3 grains per inch.

I am a heavy arrow guy also. Before shooting the Axis, I was shooting Easton XX75 2216 with 125 head that weighed about 515 grains

14-Apr-12
Why not buy the 150 grain field points and broadheads first and try them on the 340s. If they fly good than you're there. If not buy the 300s.

14-Apr-12
You'll probably be able to get away with either one with arrows that short, it is better to a little over spined than under spined. With a 150 grain point the 300 will probably be better, plus you'll pick up 25-30grains of arrow weight.

14-Apr-12
You are on the cusp IMO. I would try it to see how it works.

15-Apr-12
I wanted a little heavier arrow to. I went with the camo Axis 340, just to gain the extra 25 grains. Finished arrow, with a 125 head is 475 grains. About the perfect combination of good down range trajectory and impact energy.

The game, here in BC, is diverse in habitat and size, so the same set up has to perform well on little Sitka deer, thick furred spring bear and big bodied moose, and from thick bush to wide open mountain terrain.

The Axis series seems to eat it all up.

15-Apr-12
Well maybe I should just go camo. Or stick with what I got as the arrow weight is ok. Maybe my scale was off as your guys numbers seem to be a tad heavier than what I should have got

16-Apr-12
I'm not a fan of camo arrows, 'cause they are hard to find and they pull way harder from targets. But sometimes you have to put up with one thing to get another. Switching to a 150 grain head may require the 300 spine, but if the 340's shoot real well in your set up, then that's what counts.

16-Apr-12
You guys are correct that the camo Axis will gain you extra weight. I used them for a year. Nothing wrong with them...until you shoot into a target. They are a MOTHER to pull!

I switched to FMJ's to keep the weight up, and they are SO much easier to pull. I'll never shoot anything else.

16-Apr-12
Beendare, did you have that squaring rig before the G5 ASD cmae out? If so, you may have to sue them for infringement.

Pretty clever, in any case. And absolutely essential for good spinning broadheads.

16-Apr-12
Shooting release and a drop away rest, one can get away with some 'overspined' shafts where underspine choices just don't tune w' broadheads..

• Sitka Gear