bradbear 26-May-12
gobbler 26-May-12
Shaft 26-May-12
shorty 26-May-12
sdkhunter 26-May-12
glacial21 26-May-12
delmag1942 27-May-12
25-May-12
I have accumulated some cabelas points but I have to admit that I am having trouble using them. 1- Cabelas is about $50-75 higher on the items I am interested in (with the cabelas sale price) than if I just bought the item at the local farm/ranch store at regular pricing. 2- They are about an hours drive away. I guess that it is the tight-wad in me but I just haven't been able to spend my points knowing that I am paying the extra $. Anyone else tired of paying for the cabelas name?

Can anyone name me something that Cabelas is competitively priced on? I have looked at boots/bowhunting equip/guns/ammo/etc. and they are the highest price around (Utah). I'm feeling like it might be time to drop my club visa. In the mean time I am patiently waiting for the right sale price that brings them close to everyone elses regular prices. Anyone feel the same?

25-May-12
I usually wait till the items are on sale or the bargain cave to burn up my points. Also around Christmas time they have the club members event where they give you employee discounts.

25-May-12
I just cashed in some points. They had a great sale online for Garmin GPS. I just recieved a Garmin Oregon 450T series for 278.00 after my points in cost just 175.00 That is a screamin deal!

25-May-12
I like the cabelas brand clothing and so far they are the only ones that carry it. They are like any retail store they blend their prices to come up with a net profit margin. Also the larger the inventory and selection the higher the overhead.

25-May-12
Their hunting boots: ie; danner pronghorns, lacrosse alpha burley & others are about the same price as other stores & they go on sale from time to time. I have a cabelas visa card & i also HAD a bass pro visa card. Bass pros' bonus point systems SUCKS! They send you gift cards that you have to keep track of & they have an expiration date as well. Got rid of that card.

25-May-12
What is really tough is when you find yourself buying something that you don't really need and spending more $ than you know it really worth!!

Had a buddy that sold funnel cakes at the fair for $1.75 each or two for $4.00. Be surprised how many doubles he sold!

25-May-12
I paid for a dall sheep hunt using points.

25-May-12
I don't have a problem finding and buying competitively priced items at Cabelas with points. I recently used points to get a Yeti cooler that I did'nt find cheaper anywhere else.

There is another thing to keep in mind also. If you use your Cabelas card and buy items from Cabelas that are competitively priced to start with, you get 5 points to the dollar, so you are basically getting a 5% discount upfront. Then, if I have $100 in points, I would get a $100 item at Cabelas, and know that I got it for free, rather than go somewhere else and spend $85 dollars (assuming I found it cheaper) because I thought I was "saving" $15.

26-May-12
Pirogue-Big "If" on the competitively priced items to start with. Now let's look at your 5% discount that eventually adds up to a free $100 dollar purchase vs. finding it $15 cheaper elsewhere. You had to spend $2000 additional dollars at cabelas to get your "free" $100 item. You only spent $85 if you just found it elsewhere. Now if your $2000 dollar puchases weren't competitively priced ...- I know you would have bought the products anyway- sounds like an Amway comercial doesn't it? Ha ha silly the things we do to "save" a buck or two.

I get a cash payback on my other credit card. It basically has the same deal as cabelas only they pay you at the end of the calendar year. I can use the cash anywhere or on anything. If I would have used the other credit card I would have already been able to make the purchase I wanted to begin with. Lesson learned.

BTW- best lesson is save up the money to begin with and not buy on Credit/or pay off your credit card bill every month so you don't cancel out that coveted discount you thought you were earning.

26-May-12
I used mine on some Avian X decoys, they were about 20% off. They aren't anymore expensive than Basspro, Sportsmans Whorehouse etc... You have to use them there, might as well get something you want either way.

26-May-12
1 - The $50 to $75 dollar lower price at the local store means you actually have to pay CASH for it.

2 - You can order online and have it shipped. Free or $1 shipping offers come in regularly on my email.

3 - Combine your points with discount coupons that come in the mail or email for better values.

26-May-12
When I was there a few weeks ago, they had the g5 ASD for 29 bucks. I bought a hornady reloading scale for 29 I think. There are bargains to be had, just have to look harder

26-May-12
Shaft - There is no "additional" $2000 if you need items to start with. I'm getting needs and not wants just to build points. The statement is always paid off. I travel a lot also, and there is plenty opportunities to use the card even for the 1%. My points are definitely FREE, with no impact to disposable income.

26-May-12
I tend to use my points once or twice a year. Don't really have trouble finding competitive pricing as I usually wait for something to go on sale and offer free shipping.

26-May-12
Why drive? Use them online, good stuff in bargin cave too FYI.

I earn about $1000 or more a year in points free!

26-May-12
I bought a Leica Geovid out of the bargain cave with my points before. i am back up to a LOT of points and I agree with what has been said by most. I don't earn $1000 a year Don!! Up to $100,000 in charges a year...i thought I had a problem. Actually if used for work and stuff and you travel a lot they can add up quick. I have been debating doing a trip through them and having a decent portion paid for. Maybe finish my world slam of turkeys with an Oscelated, Africa, or maybe a Dall sheep hunt. I will not have enough to pay for them but can probably have a few grand off. I use a card for a lot so it might as well be points for something I like to do like hunting. But yes most of my hunting related stuff is bought at other places

26-May-12
I've never had trouble spending mine. In fact if anybody has any they don't want or have trouble using, I'd be glad to have them.

26-May-12
Pirogue- No offense implied. Paying off ones statement was not aimed at you nor anyone else for that matter. It was just a general statement.

I will continue to wait for that item that is a good deal to spend those points. I just need to be more patient. I'll have to keep looking. Thanks for all of the good ideas given.

26-May-12

shorty's embedded Photo
shorty's embedded Photo
I just purchased a new Kahr CW45 with my points and it was on sale. Then I purchased a Colt Defender with my remaining points. How can it get any better? If you pay your card off on time this is the best deal in town. Even if I could have bought the Kahr for $50.00 cheaper, what is better than free?

26-May-12
Agree that they can be more expensive on a lot of items - I try to watch their sales...

Like Deflatem, I just bought a Garmin 450t for $279, which is an amazing deal (enter 52ship as a promo code and you get free shipping on orders over 100 right now too) - sale is good threw Monday I believe... Then I also bought a trekker cot - about half off right now - like $39...

26-May-12
After doing so myself I STRONGLY recommend cutting the Cabelas cord and moving on to another credit card. It got so bad for me that I would use my Cabelas points to buy a Cabelas gift card that I would then turn around and sell for cash. There are so many cheaper online options for sporting goods anymore.

Why limit yourself to using your reward points at one overpriced store when you can easily find cards that give you way more flexibility and more money back?

27-May-12
I am in the same boat as DonV. I accumulate $1000k per year. I have been using it on high end optics. Leica, Swaro, etc are pretty much priced the same everywhere.

IMO my Cabela's Card is my "GO TO" card w/wo the points. For example this year with the tag applications "bunching up", I got up to my 30k limit in one month! With some pending draws prior to my statement being issued I called them. They said that they would honor charges up to 40% OVER MY LIMIT! I have never had anything but good experiences with their card.

• Sitka Gear