r-man 03-Aug-12
Wages 03-Aug-12
r-man 22-Aug-12
Nick Muche 23-Aug-12
Matt 23-Aug-12
02-Aug-12

edge1771's embedded Photo
I was shooting my bow tonight and ran into a serious issue... As I was drawing I heard a small click or pop of some type. I knew it was unusual, but I wasn't sure what it was and really didn't think much more about. That is, until I went to release the arrow and nothing at all happened. As you can see from the pictures, my bow is stuck at full draw. All of the weight seems to be held by the buss cable. It will not move.

I'm truly confused as to what is going on. I'm scared that cable won't hold until I can get it to my bow shop tomorrow morning. I don't have a press to try anything on it. I'm not a bow mechanic expert. Does anyone with experience have a clue as to what is going on or any suggestions as to what to do? I've never seen or heard of anything like this before.

02-Aug-12
Put in a safe place!

02-Aug-12

02-Aug-12
cant beleave you left arrow on, that things a ticking bomb. you need a press tonight.

02-Aug-12

02-Aug-12
The bow is locked in my basement pointing at a huge block bale. I left the arrow on the string in the case that the cable breaks, it will have something to put energy into.

02-Aug-12
I am not sure how their cam system is but it looks like what happens when you have no draw stops on a binary system. That is a hybrid cam but don't know if it uses limb stops, cable stops or the cables stop on mod grooves. Look and see if you have a mod loose or a stop missing or something like that. Regardless of what is going on it needs pressed to fix.

02-Aug-12
was thinking of getting one of those, not sure now.

02-Aug-12
Both draws stops are in place on the bow. My shop was already closed at the time of the event. Do you guys think the cable will hold until I can get it to a shop with a press tomorrow morning?

02-Aug-12
its the limbs, that wory me, call some friends that may have press , becareful.

02-Aug-12
Well after some more thought, I took the arrow off and locked it in my SKB case... Hopefully this will keep any explosions contained until I can get it on a press.

02-Aug-12
If it were me, I would back that arrow out to where its at full draw and the bow string is tighter, like it would be when you are holding it. You have way too much slack in there. Pull the arrow back, and put something under it so its level. It will derail the way it is now. I would pull the arrow back, and put a small piece of tape where the string contacts the cam, to keep it in the groove on the cam.

Personally, if I didn't have a press, I would secure the cams to the limbs via some heavy zip ties or some para cord. Then, when I felt it wouldn't explode, I would back the limb bolts off as much as possible.

You could even tie the cams together. Tie a piece of para cord to each cam at their closest point, this prevents them from rotating and holds them in place in case it does go off.

I will say that if you don't pull that arrow back, even if it goes off, you are going to have a dry fire/derailment/ broken bow on your hands.

02-Aug-12
my money says you drew it past the stop, which was the tick you heard. You now have the buss cable locked behind it. All will be fine unless the stop comes apart. The shop can fix it in a matter of minutes.

02-Aug-12
I've had this happen before with my bow. I just pulled the bow back and had my wife hit the cams with the sole of a shoe. They broke loose, but it took a few hard wacks. Definitely take that arrow out and then readjust your limb stops... assuming they have them. Good luck, I know it's scarey!

02-Aug-12
Can't tell by the photos. Did the cable jump the track and jamb somewhere? That's about all I can see that could be holding it.

02-Aug-12
its the stops , just read it on thread from archerytalk.com your not the first,

02-Aug-12

You guys were right. After some further investigation, I drew past the bottom stop. Right now it's binding against the buss cable. I put some paracord between the cams and I'll lock in the bow case until I can get it in a press...

02-Aug-12
Is that the same kinda bow that "Pete the World record sheep shooter" shoots?

02-Aug-12
It can happen to any brand of bow! I had a friend that this same thing happened to shooting an older Mathews bow I think? But it was a different brand than PSE and his wife drove up to camp five hours to bring him a different bow. Now that's what I call a good wife!

03-Aug-12
Putting a ratchet strap tightly around the limbs, just in from of the cams, will keep it secure until you can get all the pressure off the cables in a press.

03-Aug-12
LOL That para cord won't do diddley if the buss cable comes out from behind that stop.

I give you an A for effort though.

03-Aug-12
I think the paracord will be just fine, as long as its tight between the cams and the knots will hold.

By doing this, you are giving the bow very minimal space to build up speed before it hits the paracord. By tying it on the cams at their closest point to each other, this prevent them from spinning, giving the limbs a chance to build up speed.

So, I think this will do just fine, unless you are saying that their is more than 550# of force with the limbs moving that minimal amount.

03-Aug-12
Would excessive cam lean cause the draw stop to miss the cable?

03-Aug-12
Buy an APA bow and you'll never have any problems! Lol

03-Aug-12
Huntingbob says, "It can happen to any bow"

I have never had it happen to any of my recurves or longbows. ZERO problems since I switched to trad bows 15 years ago.

03-Aug-12
I don't understand how drawing past a draw stop on one cam can cause this. The other cam is independent and I would think that it would be way lopsided. If that happened to me, I would change bow companies!!

>>>>------->

03-Aug-12
Damn I just bought a Evo 7,would consider Hoyt if they changed the riser, don't like that tec piece that extends behind the grip.

03-Aug-12
Get a mathews. Split limbs are nothing but trouble. I know I will prolly get bashed for saying that but 12 yrs of shooting lots and lots of arrows and not one single problem, EVER! Definitely never anything like this pic. WOW

03-Aug-12
Just get the bow checked out and ignore the brand junkies. Never owned a PSE bow but they've sold plenty

03-Aug-12
"I don't understand how drawing past a draw stop on one cam can cause this."

It's a hybrid.

A little cam lean and a short peg = problems.

03-Aug-12
Oooh man Just one of many reasons I switched to traditional gear! Hope you get it fixed and no damage was done!

03-Aug-12
I just finished shooting my Evo 7 and was looking at the draw stops and how they contact the cable, you would have to have some serious cam lean and have the cable slide turned out to the max. So if your cams are leaning that bad I would say that should be covered under warranty as its causing the bow to malfunction and could cause injury!

03-Aug-12
Well guys, I took my bow to the shop today. It's fixed and back in working order. It turns out that a small part of the production run on the Evos (mine is an Evo 7, I'm not sure if this includes the Dream Season Evos as well or not) had cam spacers that were not properly placed. These incorrect spacers could cause excessive cam lean on the bottom cam and allow this to happen. He fixed the spacers and it seems like its working fine. I actually just bought the bow a week ago today and had probably shot around 100 arrows with it before I had any problems.

03-Aug-12
good news .and good luck

03-Aug-12
glad to hear all is well!

22-Aug-12
here we go hope this helps you Nick its back at the top.

23-Aug-12
Thanks r-man!

23-Aug-12
Bummer of a situation but sould be an easy correction once you get it in a press.

Easier than correcting the mis-information spouted above by some anyhow...

• Sitka Gear