Porcupine 19-Aug-12
5280nrg 20-Aug-12
5280nrg 21-Aug-12
Popeye 03-Oct-19
Grey Ghost 03-Oct-19
Orion 03-Oct-19
oldgoat 03-Oct-19
11-Aug-12
Recently received info that the Sulphur Ranger District will be closing the Elk Creek and Exp area from Sept 1st to Nov 30. Just a heads up...

I am told this will include St Louis Creek and Byers Peak areas. Anyone have any ideas where to hunt now? I have to figure out where to put up some trail camera's as I have not hunted other areas in over 4 years.

11-Aug-12
Why are they being closed? and what is the "Exp area"

11-Aug-12
there is an experimental forest thing in that area, probably what he was talking about "exp"

11-Aug-12
would like to know where your getting your info from cause I can't find any closures

13-Aug-12
Sorry for the delayed response, I've been working extra hours so I can take time off for the season. I've told a few guys on PM: I have a friend that is a wildlife biologist in the Winter Park area, he just found out last week and relayed the info to me. He said that the main road up to Elk Creek and Byers Peak will be closed as well. Exp = Experimental Forest

14-Aug-12
did he give a reason why?

Still leaves lots of area open.

14-Aug-12
Logging; and I guess its a huge project. Should push the elk to other areas. I plan on getting my hunt in the last week of Aug (1st week of the season, which I think is total Bull Crap - will rant some other time) so I will be up there before the cutting starts.

Good luck this year!

19-Aug-12
You think you have it bad the Mt Goat hunters are the ones that are really getting screwed!

19-Aug-12

Sandbrew's Link
http://www.fs.usda.gov/detail/arp/home/?cid=STELPRDB5377221

I looked here but didn't see anything. Anyone else find any specificdetails on this possible closure?

Sandbrew

19-Aug-12
I bet 5280 is trying to pull a fast one! ;)

20-Aug-12
Just trying to relay the info I was given. My son and I were up this weekend placing some trail camera's in a couple of spots on the Corona Pass side in couple of spots I had luck in a few years back. I have one on the St Luis Creek side, but only had a couple of picks cow elk; more of Mule Deer and Moose. I was planning on being up there opening morning but have changed my mind and will be on the Corona Pass side.

I moved the camera in the St Luis creek area to another trail that looks like it was getting used, just in case. We rode our bikes and camped at the top of Vasquez Crk Road just at the Wilderness Sign/spillway and did not see much sign either. I'm not sure where the elk are, but they were not in the areas that we went too??

21-Aug-12
Find this news and a downloadable map of closure area online: http://www.fs.usda.gov/detail/arp/news-events/?cid=STELPRDB5387138 Hunter information: http://www.fs.usda.gov/detail/arp/news-events/?cid=stelprdb5387133 Popular area in Arapaho National Forest near Winter Park to close temporarily for hazard tree cutting along roads and trails Granby, Colo. (Aug. 21, 2012) –Beginning Sept. 4, a popular portion of the Arapaho National Forest outside Winter Park and Fraser will close to all use temporarily while the U.S. Forest Service works to improve public safety and reduce hazardous fuels by cutting beetle-killed trees along many roads and trails in the area. The closure is expected to remain in place until Nov. 15. This 29,000-acre closure will encompass all of the Fraser Experimental Forest, and the Arapaho National Forest from Winter Park and Fraser south to the Vasquez Peak Wilderness and east to Vasquez Road (See Map). Vasquez Road will remain open to public use, however all National Forest land, roads and trails west of Vasquez Road will be closed to the western boundary of the Fraser Experimental Forest.

03-Oct-19
It's the same as any place out west. Firstly, pick the units that have the highest harvest rates. Unit 28 is not the best, but it is doable. 2nd, do what every bow-hunter should know to do. Get away from the people. This involves hiking into areas early, early in the morning, using a miners light. Leave your rig at 4 AM, and get to that high mountain meadow at the crack of dawn. If after 2-3 days of hunting you don't see any elk in the high basins, then you know one thing for sure, they are not in the open. For one reason or another, someone, or something has spooked them. Therefore, they are down in the timber, which is where you should be hunting in rifle season anyway. Hunt the timber, moving slowly, and using a lot of cow mews with an occasional full bugle. Do this and you will up your success in a unit that has a paltry 10% success rate on bulls.

03-Oct-19
Ummm, Popeye, do you realize this thread is over 7 years old?

Matt

03-Oct-19
I don't think so he replied to one on the Colorado forum that was 6 years old

03-Oct-19
I hate it when people do that! I always jump right in not realizing how old it is, at least this time I knew something was amiss because I just hunted this unit and knew this info wasn't current!

• Sitka Gear