Jack Whitmrie jr 31-Mar-19
jordanathome 31-Mar-19
Glunt@work 31-Mar-19
Glunt@work 31-Mar-19
Lost Arra 02-Apr-19
txhunter58 03-Apr-19
txhunter58 03-Apr-19
20-Aug-12
Who is using a YETI to bring meat home? Thoughts?

We have been doing the freezer/generator thing for a few years but It sure takes up a lot of space.

Maybe I am just trying to justify spending a load on a Yeti....ha ha.

20-Aug-12
You get a yeti cooler that holds a whole bull elk and it will take up more space than a freezer!

20-Aug-12
Great coolers. Expensive and heavy.

If you're driving they're only expensive.

We rent coolers and have never had even the top of the line igloo last more than a year, two tops. We currently use the IRP Outback, another heavy and expensive cooler, hold ice a looooong time. A couple of them are 10 years old. Yeti's come highly recommended in the industry, I have a couple fishing friends that swear by them. They are in the running when it comes to the point we have to replace these Outbacks.

High quality coolers like these would probably last most folks a lifetime if cared for a bit. Quality tools are an investment.

20-Aug-12
They are higher than giraffe snot

21-Aug-12
I looked at both and if you are using it to bring meat home I believe that the Iowa Rotocast will give you way more cooler for the dollar. Just what I have seen when you compare the size vs the price.

21-Aug-12
I have never been able to figure out the wisdom of spending an extra $400 on a cooler to make $10 worth of ice last a day or two longer. But it's your money....

21-Aug-12
I have a 65qt yeti that kept ice for 10 days, while riding behind the back of my pickup in mid summer---cool down the inside first before putting any meat in it---i recently traded a few sheep for a 20qt. yeti--plan to keep it behind my trk. to have some drinks and bottle water cooling during the day-----they are EXPENSiVE and HEAVY--your call

21-Aug-12
I was about to buy one at cabela's this summer, until I saw the $499.00 price take?? My stand up freezer cost less. So I bought the 5 day coleman instead, Im sure it won't compare and if I had lots of cash I would get the yeti.

21-Aug-12
they have a competitor but the prices are still high.

http://www.grizzlycoolers.com/

21-Aug-12
Wildly Stronger, Keeps Ice Longer!!

Wildly more expensive too. And how many times do you dump your cooler down a mountainside? Oh yeah, I need a $400 cooler that will withstand that ride!

A better slogan: "For Folks With More Money Than Brains."

21-Aug-12
I trust my life on the Yeti Cooler and you should too.

I will add that 64's comment "If I ever spend that kind of money on a cooler,it will last me more than a life time cause I'll be buried in it." Made me spit water on my computer screen. So now I have to clean that up...

21-Aug-12
Nick: That's hilarious also. Quite likely the most BSful slogan ever. Hey, I think I just invented a word!

21-Aug-12
I have a 160 qt. heavy as hell, but it will hold an elk. I spent the money because it will hold ice while hunting. This may take 3-4 days, then if I get my bull, I bone it out, it goes into the cooler and we may hunt a few more days. The cooler allows a bit of piece of mind when hunting a ways from civilization.

Not only that, the cooler does well on river trips and holds stuff cold for days.

My dad had a 120 gt packed tight, and made sure to not open it. Day 15 on the Colorado River, Ice cream for the group.

If not sure about Yeti, look at Engel as well.

21-Aug-12
I have a Yeti; awesome cooler but I wouldn't trust my life on it unless I was inside it during a grizzly bear attack in a zoo.

21-Aug-12
We had a number of rafts, people are responsible for different days. 20 day trip on the Colorado. Epic trip, hot, fun, etc.

Pre cooling of the cooler, cold locker till time to leave. Never open. To get a trip like that to work, people have to really organize and plan.

every morning we would access the Dinner cooler, open quickly remove the frozen meal, put into soft cooler to begin thawing. The cooler would get closed, covered with insulation/reflective stuff he carries and that cooler stays shut till tomorrow.

It works. But good coolers are key.

There are a few brands that really have it together, you get what you pay for. An average cooler will do average things and that may be all you need, but if you use it for extreme things, you need a good durable cooler.

My 160 is huge, requires 2 guys to move it, but, it is nice to have. I will get a smaller one as well once I sell my truck. lol

21-Aug-12
"i recently traded a few sheep for a 20qt. yeti"

I love that, right there.

21-Aug-12
Seems like folks like Engel's better from my research, and they're cheaper too. I won't ever buy a Yeti if for no other reason than because I don't want to be like all the fratboys driving around my town (Auburn, AL) in the jacked up 3/4-ton trucks daddy bought them, with Yeti stickers on the back glass...

21-Aug-12
Hello all, noticed that IRP Outback, Iowa Rotocast, and Grizzly Coolers have all been mentioned in this thread. I wanted to clarify that IRP Outdoors is now branded under Grizzly Coolers name.

21-Aug-12
Seems like folks like Engel's better from my research, and they're cheaper too. I won't ever buy a Yeti if for no other reason than because I don't want to be like all the fratboys driving around my town (Auburn, AL) in the jacked up 3/4-ton trucks daddy bought them, with Yeti stickers on the back glass...

+1

The Coleman extreme is almost as good and a lot cheaper. Tested in Florida Keys heat and sun. Dave

21-Aug-12
The day I buy a Yeti cooler will be the day I ask myself..."Self, why the warm sensation and why am I in this hand basket?"

21-Aug-12
some things just don't provide incremental value and benefit commensurate with incremental cost.

even the best of anything is not worth paying an unlimited amount for.

21-Aug-12
Coleman Extreme is a great cooler and stood up very well against the Yeti. I bought two 85 quart for $110.00. For the price of a coupleYeti coolers I could buy a used generator and chest freezer.

22-Aug-12
I watched a cooler test on youtube a couple months back and the Coleman Extreme actually outperformed the Yeti. The test was how long it would keep ice and the Yeti didn't do well. If you want a cooler that a bear will throw around or that will fall out of your truck while driving down a rough road, then the Yeti may do better.

22-Aug-12
The test was by coleman probably. Take that extreme, put it next to a yeti, same conditions, and it the yeti will out perform. period.

Yes the yeti is durable, no more broken locks or lids with a yeti. Just saying. Everyone has a different opinion on what is defined as a lot of money. A yeti is a lot of money, but worth the investment if keeping elk meat cold during archery season is your goal. Any cooler will transport meat hom and keep it cool, but having a cooler that will keep the ice in the cooler till you kill an elk is the issue.

Do a pepsi challenge on your own and you will see quality comes with a price. yeti, engel are quality coolers that will last years.

22-Aug-12
2 Yeti's 2 Coleman extremes bought for Catering. Both Coleman's are broken, hinges and handles.

22-Aug-12

d-bone20917's Link
Yeti definitely has the best marketing. You can check out this Pepsi challenge. It doesn't appear to be sponsored by Coleman, but maybe that is part of their plan.

22-Aug-12
Some folks will knock out a truck window for the change in your ashtray. The last thing I'm gonna do is provide extra incentive leaving the Cadillac of Coolers in the back.

22-Aug-12
I can afford a Yeti, but for most of the reasons here, I won't own one....

I take a 110 qt plastic Coleman and put 20 pounds of dry ice in it with 4 bags cubed ice.... Then I take an old sleeping bag from one of the kids sleep overs with the broken zipper and wrap that cooler with it.

5 days of 90 plus temps and it will still be frozen when I get back to the truck...

The boned meat goes in it and what won't fit goes into the beer cooler with the rest of the ice.... after I drink the beer of course!

22-Aug-12
I have had my Yeti 155qt bounce out of my trailer on the interstate and somersault across the road to only have a little road rash. Not to mention I can leave the trailhead and come back in 10 days to have plenty of ice. IMO if you use an ice chest a lot then they are definitely worth it.

23-Aug-12
I don't know, I guess if I was rich I might drop the coins, but my white igloo with an old sleeping bag over it keeps ice for a long long time. White coolers are the only way to go, years ago, I had one of those dark green Coleman steel coolers, it would get so hot you couldn't touch it without burning your hand, I bought a can of white spray paint after that trip and painted it white, it went from barely keeping ice for a weekend to keeping ice for several days. To sum it up, white cooler and an old sleeping bag equals cheaper than yeti and almost as good.

23-Aug-12
One thought: while an expensive cooler may only keep $10 worth of ice for a few days longer, I have hunted in areas where you would burn $20 in gas to replace that ice. I don't own an expensive cooler, but in some instances buying a cheap cooler can be penny wise and pound foolish.

23-Aug-12
X2 Matt.

23-Aug-12
Like I said earlier, if I had the cash I would buy it, I was just thinking of all the cash I have spent/wasted on bows in the last 10 years when my hoyt x-tec would have been just fine, six bows later, that at least 5 yeti coolers, factoring in the sale of the old bows, wow, I need to stop wasting money, guess I'm a bow junkie.

23-Aug-12
Maybe I can buy a Yeti and stash a Huntmore Stool in it!!! ;^)))

Ole thumper

23-Aug-12
For our last caribou hunt we needed a cooler that would hold around 600lbs of meat. The cheapest and easiest way for a large cooler that will insulate for along time in the back of a trailer is to buy 2" pink expanded foam sheets that you can get in any lumber yard. We used the 2" foam, and constructed it with wide duct tape. We built it ahead of time and took it apart for the trip stored to one side of the trailer. When we figured out how many boxes of meat we had we simply cut the panels length wise to perfectly fit the boxes. With the 600lbs of meat flash frozen, along with some dry ice we were good for days. When we got home we took it back apart put it to the side of the shed and have left it there ready for us to use next week!

24-Aug-12
Matt Totally agree a "cheap" cooler is not a wise purchase, or really any item that does not perform, regardless of price. But Coleman Extreme coolers are not cheap and perform quite well for much less money than the Yeti/Icy Tek/Frigid Rigid fiberglass style coolers:

http://forums.floridasportsman.com/showthread.php?35173-Yeti-vs-Coleman-Cooler

To me it's the law of diminishing returns. All good though, folks can buy what they want. Like you say, mice nuts. ;)

24-Aug-12
Depends on your use and needs. Coleman extreme didn't make it a year before it broke, igloo marine about the same. But our coolers are used hard every weekend, year round.

Handles, latches and hinges are what goes first. Bottom corners are next. Like I said a couple of the Outbacks are gong on ten years. That is what I use commercially. I would imagine the Yeti would be in the same class.

Igloo has a new one out, the Yukon, I have heard good things about. But you're getting into Yeti range as far as price. Any high quality cooler is going to be expensive. Just as a high quality bow is going to be more than the wally world bows. Wally world bows still kill stuff though....

All depends on your use and needs. Only use a cooler a couple times a year or only use one locally then cheaper coolers are probably the way to go. If it breaks no big deal and you know who to blame.

The cooler I fly with is a relatively cheap igloo max 60qt on it's last legs.(I don't think they have the 60 anymore though). It flies out as checked luggage with camp in it and comes back hopefully with frozen meat. I use it to fly with becasue a high end coolers are too heavy to fly with. With a 50 lb weight limit it makes no sense to use a 20+ lb cooler, no matter how good it is.

26-Mar-19
I own a 110 yeti and would have to say it’s the best money I’ve spent. It’s been tested on fishing trips, hunting trips and burning man. Anything that will hold ice for 10 days of burning man being opened atleast once a day is gold. I cooled the cooler and then put 4 blocks of ice and had it in my tent under double shade. Anyone who doesn’t own one wouldn’t spend the money because they don’t know yet. That’s ok guys. If I had to do it again though I would go with Rtic just because it’s the same cooler for less. A good cooler is priceless for someone who lives out of a cooler a lot.

26-Mar-19
I agree with needing a tough one if you use it a lot. However, as far as your ice retention testimony, I can’t say a yeti is anywhere near the top.

Frozen block ice in a chilled cooler, being kept under a blanket or in the shade, only accessed once a day, and only keeps ice 10 days isn’t record breaking in the ice retention category. Based solely on my experience. But, if you are happy, so am I. To each his own.

26-Mar-19
I've been bringing meat home hunting the other side of their fenceline lol

26-Mar-19
I have a smaller yeti for linework, 8 days on and 6 off, for those 8 days it sure keeps beer cold. I've always run yetis and I've never once thought "man I wish I spent less on a cooler"

26-Mar-19
Very happy with every Yeti product I have. They keep multiplying. Even the expensive buckets. I never worry about anything Yeti breaking or letting me down. Keep a 20oz in the truck for coffee in the mornings and a 32oz for ice cold water all day as well.

26-Mar-19
I figured Yeti had a good marketing campaign and not worth the money, until I won a Roadie 20. That turned out to be my first of many products from yeti. They’re all bombproof and well worth the money. My wife loves her pink Rambler and now her wine tumbler. I understand if you don’t think they’re not worth the money, I was there too. To each his own.

26-Mar-19
I have three yeti coolers. No regrets, they work great and have held up fantastic

26-Mar-19
4 yeti coolers. 2 of them were gifts. No decals, no hats and no brag. They all get used often and beat the HECK out of anything I've ever owned. I don't really care what anyone chooses to use for their needs. I'll use my Yeti coolers until I'm done with them, and probably get a third to half their cost back when they sell....whoever sells them. Pretty good value to me.

26-Mar-19
big frig has great quality and a great price..

26-Mar-19

Brotsky's embedded Photo
Brotsky's embedded Photo
I have Yeti, RTIC, and Big Frig products on my desk right now. There’s not a damn bit of difference in any of them except price. It’s your money, spend as you wish. It’s great to have so many quality products to choose from.

26-Mar-19

Ambush's embedded Photo
Ambush's embedded Photo

26-Mar-19
Lol

26-Mar-19
I have a yeti 65. I hunt doves in western Ks, several days per year. Temperatures can be 90 degrees plus on some days. Mid 80s at least is guaranteed. I have food and drink in this yeti. I can get it to last the entire trip, if I get he cooler cold before packing it, refrain from frequent opening, and keep it in the shade. It’s 5-6 years old and looks new. The alternative is driving an hour round trip to get more ice, once or twice. I’d rather be hunting than chasing ice. If you prefer chasing ice and wasting hunting time, that’s ok by me.

26-Mar-19
I have owned a Yeti 250 for about 5 years, still looks new after being in the sun in the back of the boat year around. If you want a cooler to hold ice for a few days once a year, that you store indoors, you can get away with a more economical brand. I didn't purchase it to hold ice for a few days once a year, I needed a quality cooler for offshore that can handle several longer fish that wouldn't fit in a 150 or 200. The main reason I went with Yeti is the durability. I have owned Igloo Marine coolers in the past, and the lids deteriorate and crack open after about 5 years when left in the sun year around. They do leave a skint place in your wallet, but so does a $400 pair of Sitka rain pants...

26-Mar-19

timex's embedded Photo
timex's embedded Photo
bought this in New Bedford mass in 2005 for $ 400 when I hauled seafood it's 11 cubic feet - 320 quarts it holds over 300 lbs of ice & will keep it a week in the sun I added the rod holders & cushion it's 14 years old & good as the day I bought it. if you need a high capacity cooler you may consider looking to the comerccial fishing industry for one

27-Mar-19
My cabin is of the grid so I use my extremes a lot when the hinges go I put metal hinges on them takes five minutes.I do not see the big deal.

27-Mar-19
Timex. Those are over $700 now but still a lot of cooler!

27-Mar-19
if your serious about one call skips marine supply in New Bedford mass. ask to speak to Mario. perhaps he has a scratch or dent at a discount price. they keep a lot of sizes in stock . the freight is a large part of the cost of the large comerccial boxes

27-Mar-19
I'm only afraid to buy one and leave it in my truckbed while I'm hunting.. Do you guys lock it to your truck somehow or just keep it in the cab?

27-Mar-19

Cheesehead Mike's embedded Photo
I'm not saying that Yeti's aren't better but I've never seen the need to spend the money.

I only use a big cooler for one month or so out of the year; I don't use it on a daily basis. I have a 150 quart Coleman Marine cooler that I paid about $80 for and a 100 quart Igloo that had broken hinges and was given to me. Hinges and latches can be replaced for very cheap.

I precool the 150 quart Coleman and then pack it with as many gallon and half gallon frozen juice jugs full of water that I can fit inside. I then pack every single void with ice cubes (takes a couple bags) and mound it as high as possible and still barely get the lid shut. Then I put a ratchet strap around it to make sure it stays tightly closed. It stays closed until I kill an elk and then I open it and divide the ice jugs between the two coolers. I've had ice last 3 weeks that way in the un-opened cooler in the back of a truck topper that can get pretty warm at times.

I'm not saying Yeti's aren't better but I just haven't had the need.

I did see an independent test done over the course of a week or so buy some guys in Texas in a hot airplane hangar or warehouse. If I remember correctly the Coleman Extreme was not far behind the Yeti for ice retention.

27-Mar-19
Backcountrymuzzy, I alway lock my Yeti in my truck or elsewhere. I’m sure some sorry sob would steal it if given the opportunity.

27-Mar-19
Wait, I thought we were boycotting Yeti? Are we still boycotting Under Armour, REI, Dick's, and Benchmade?

28-Mar-19
Bought 2 - 65 qt. Coleman coolers for elk hunting and not knowing how big to buy or how many frozen 1 gal. containers of water would be needed or how long the ice would last in the high 80's and low 90's of heat we were experiencing. I got 17 - 1 gal. jugs of ice in each and then wrapped duct tape around the seal between the lid and compartment and then covered both with old JCPenney cotton bedrolls, which don't take up any room and provide another insulation barrier and left the coolers in the bed of my truck that has a toppper. I had a contingency plan with a packing plant as back-up if the ice was melted or the supply wasn't enough to cool the meat...however, they were about 90 miles away with a 2 1/2 hour trip. Shot a big bull, had help and packed him back to camp for 2 1/2 hours in 93 degree temps. Opened the coolers with anticipation and found that only 1/2 of the ice had melted after 10 days. Each cooler easily handled a"bone in" front and hind quarter and each held 11 gal. jugs that cooled the quarters down to 40 degrees between 2p and 8p...I drained the water and turned the quarters twice during that time frame, taped the lid and covered with bedrolls. Next day, stopped in town and added 6 bags of ice to each on the way home and reached home 6 1/2 hours later with meat temps at 38 degrees. The extra 12 gals. of ice melted and was used for cleaning the quarters and providing water for clean-up and drinking. The results were positive beyond my expectation and took very little work other than freezing all the jugs of water... and lasting the 10 days I needed but actually lasting 12 days before it all melted. There was enough room to have also harvested a deer and pack it in the same coolers with the elk. PS - Total cost of the 2 coolers was $110

28-Mar-19
Here is some good advice from a guy who owns 2 Yeti coolers: Don’t buy a Yeti!

Don’t get me wrong I use and abuse my Yetis (one more than 15 years) and they perform great and perform as well as any cooler out there.

But their time is past and they don’t realize it. There are now too many competitors that are just as good and much cheaper

RTIC can make the same quality cooler for 40% less and still Yeti won’t come off their prices. I don’t get it.

28-Mar-19
I've talked with more than one Yeti retailer and discussed their prices. None of them could ever remember a discount on Yeti coolers, with the exception of discontinued models. Maybe that will change someday, but apparently Yeti is doing well in the face of much competition. Almost every serious sporting retailer carries Yeti products. Can't say the same for lots of other brands which actually cost less. Doesn't matter to me of course....a guy should buy what he likes and enjoys.

28-Mar-19
The way this discussed youd think an endowment was being established.. I take my wife out to dinner at a decent restaurant I would be lucky to not drop a 150 for just the two of us ...and I crap that out the next day. At least a well built cooler will last the better part of life time, and not end up in a landfill.

29-Mar-19
That cartoon made me laugh.

31-Mar-19
I have a smaller yeti for linework, 8 days on and 6 off, for those 8 days it sure keeps beer cold. I've always run yetis and I've never once thought "man I wish I spent less on a cooler"

31-Mar-19
Buy smarter.Easy to do.

31-Mar-19
I musky fish a lot and sometimes have 3 people in the boat. A lot of times someone is standing on the yeti. They are tough as nails, I would have replaced this cooler 3 times since I've had it. It is still working great and worth every penny I spent on it! Freeze bottled water to put in bottom of cooler to help retain ice. Kids open cooler and look for something to eat for 10 minutes :) Anyhow yes they are exspensive but worth every penny. Some of the other extreme cooler are great I'm sure .

31-Mar-19
I like my RTIC just fine. Thanks.

31-Mar-19
I'm probably never going to buy a Yeti. Not enough value for me. But, you can bet I see the the value in their advertising and branding program. So I'll use my cheapo coolers but if I start a company making a high end version of an everyday product you can bet my marketing and branding will be similar to theirs. They did a great job.

31-Mar-19
Case and point: After clicking Jaqs link and posting. The next YouTube video I watched started with a Yeti ad.

02-Apr-19
My problem with all roto-molded coolers is the weight and footprint size relative to their actual capacity.

I was given a 50 qt Yeti and it makes a great fermentation chamber for home brewing in 3 gallon carboys.

03-Apr-19
True. You fill up a 65 qt cooler and most guys aren’t lifting that by themselves. I have a 250 qt and you sure are not lifting that one with stuff in it! There are trade offs but my 50 and 250 qt always goes to Colorado!

03-Apr-19
True. You fill up a 65 qt cooler and most guys aren’t lifting that by themselves. I have a 250 qt and you sure are not lifting that one with stuff in it! There are trade offs but my 50 and 250 qt always goes to Colorado!

• Sitka Gear