tndeerhunter 06-Oct-12
tndeerhunter 06-Oct-12
tndeerhunter 06-Oct-12
Rage57 26-Jan-19
elvspec 26-Jan-19
Candor 26-Jan-19
04-Oct-12
Has anybody hunted Giles Island before?

My wife and I are heading there Oct 22-25.

04-Oct-12
I hunted there twice, they wouldn't let me shoot a 145' deer last trip there ,Never went back. To much gun hunting there for me. Try Tara wildlife. bow hunting only!

04-Oct-12
It is a very nice place!!!!

04-Oct-12
Cajunhunter where are u from?

04-Oct-12
A buddy did about five years ago. He said it would have been good if he would have brought his on stands. The deer knew were every stand he sat in was and would avoid them.

04-Oct-12
Belle Chasse Just south of N.O ,YOU?

05-Oct-12
I'm from Houma. It's sure nice to know somebody from my area is on bowsite.

05-Oct-12
You boys have a friend in Lafayette!

05-Oct-12
After are nightmare trip to Powder River Outfitters in Montana i ask where she wanted to go and she picked Giles Island! I am taking our climbers....

05-Oct-12
They had lots of climbers when i was there ],just ask and they will help you out. ask for Spike to be your guide he knows what he is doing. Bigpizzaman I have family in Maurice.and Cajunarcher i have family in Houma.

05-Oct-12
I grew up hunting Giles Island as my hunting club. That was before it was purchased and turned into an outfitting business. We started the "big buck" program there in 1986. Prior to that, any basket racked 6 or 8 pt that made it to the skinning rack was drewled over by everyone. Five years into the program we were consistently killing 140"-150" deer. That is what got the place sold.

You have a much better opportunity to kill a true stud there compared to Tara. But I would recommend taking your own climber. The deer are well aware of the stand locations and stay just out of range most of the time.

And don't forget your bass rod.....Lake Marango has unbelievable fall bass fishing.

05-Oct-12

Clutch's MOBILE embedded Photo
Clutch's MOBILE embedded Photo

I am in a tree at Tara now--so far the grp killed 147p&y n a 132 p&y plus does --bow only-- Giles is a good place but rules are tough--

05-Oct-12
Clutch,

Is that the Africa foodplot??

05-Oct-12
I guided at Giles Island from 2007-2010.They killed 2 over 180 last year 181" with a bow and a 186" with a gun. They killed 4 more over 160". For sure ask for Spike#MikeMartin he had a hell of a year last year.

06-Oct-12
Good luck there tndeerhunter, They do have some exceptional deer and it is also a very cool experience doing an island hunt. Best of luck to you both and hope you have a FAR BETTER outcome this time.

Best regards, Scott Alberda

06-Oct-12
best of luck. we know the montana thing was a debacle for you. sounds like giles will be good, but i am curious as to how you decide on places to go.

after MT you said you choose giles because your wife wanted to go there. you book and then decide to seek input from others. could be a little backwards in terms of picking places. go get em.

06-Oct-12

tndeerhunter's embedded Photo
I have several buddies that have hunted there before too but thought I would ask you guy on bowsite as well. My wife has wanted to go to Giles Island for along time. And after the pitiful MT trip I figured she deserved something better...... Along with her own personal pink horse trailer I bought her Monday.

Bou'Bound this has been on our hit list for years and especially after my buddy Jimmy arrowed the 180 last year!

My wife watched his video back in Spring and said she wanted to go there and hunt so I book her a trip. I will not hunt.Also my buddy Spook Spann recommended for southern hunt which is not something we normally do. We hunt Mid West usually..

I have 2 farms in KY,1 in Ohio and Illinois we lease and hunt.

06-Oct-12
that is a horse! go get his brother

06-Oct-12

06-Oct-12

06-Oct-12

11-Oct-12
i just left there this afternoon. The hunting was a bit slow, for big bucks anyways, but there were lots of deer, and lots of tc pics of 150 type bucks. The lodging and food were better than advertised. The hospitality could not have been better. And while the hunting was slow from a Giles standpoint...i should add i saw a couple decent 120-130 class bucks. Acouple oither fellas saw 140+ bucks. But to be "real" no bucks were killed the 3 days i was there. One or two management bucks were passed. So, my impresions are this. I would go back...but later in the year. And despite a bit of a slow week...I would overall give it a solid 7-8 out of ten. Dont matter where you hunt....or how many are there...if the bucks aint moving much...an unfilled tag can happen...ive got mine to prove it lol. MY only other advice would be to discuss with your guide, if u shoot longbow or recurve, and need to stand...that your stand selection allows you to do that. I was in a couple ladder stand that had the rail fixed/locked in position and i couldnt move it. And it would have hindered my shot if a buck had of been close(my bottom limb likely would have been hitting....

26-Jan-19
I hunted it 2 yrs ago and it was a bust. Saw one doe, all about the money. $4500, 2 deer were killed and they were small but very old. Nobody could ever tell me their kill ratio or success rate. The food and lodging was excellent!!

26-Jan-19
I’ve not personally hunted there but my brother has several time and has nothing but good things to say about it. He took a nice buck there a couple of years ago and has seen some really nice deer. As mentioned rules are tough but the opportunity is there for good animal.

26-Jan-19
I know this is an old thread.... But, I hunted Giles in 2014. Had a very poor guide that would sleep late and knew little about bow hunting. I think we saw one buck all week.

I would not go back on a free trip. Not because of seeing little but just the overall approach, number of hunters and having to hunt with a guide. Food and lodging was top shelf.

Lastly (and this is on the marginal end of worthy of mention)... They had a very big 8 on video that another guy could have killed the week we were there. He had multiple opportunities to kill the deer...but they were claiming the deer was 3 1/2. The 8 was in the low 50's .... and at least 4 1/2, as the guy took a lot of video of him and the features of the buck were clear. Prior to departure we found out they had MossyOak coming the following week. That was hearsay.... But did make you wonder.

• Sitka Gear