Huntcell 29-Oct-20
whipranger 29-Oct-20
Scrappy 29-Oct-20
Dale06 29-Oct-20
writer 29-Oct-20
Bou'bound 29-Oct-20
Pope125 29-Oct-20
05-Dec-12
So I plop down on my couch last night going to watch some outdoor channel and I turn it on and I see this thing on the screen. Now rewind to my season, I have been hunting my arse off on public and a little 5 acre parcel of private land for 5 years in this area (MD) and had some good chances at 4 155 or bigger deer but the biggest I have is a 121 and 5 more 110 class bucks and about 20 does which I worked very hard for and have put more hours in than I can even try to count. I got my girlfriend back into hunting and she went to missouri to hunt with her dad and I talked with her while she was away and she says, Lance i passed up an 8 point today and I asked why???? She said well they are to small and I said compared to what and she says to what we see on TV. Well after she sat for 5 days and froze her butt off and got wet and cold she finally realized that those were very unrealistic goals for a new hunter and shot a 7 point which gained a lot of value. Fast forward to last night, on this show (SCI) they were at this ranch with all of these first time hunters shooting 300 inch deer and it made me pretty mad, these kids will never understand how to hunt, why would you start them out shooting these monsters, the funniest part was the guides that were sitting in the permanent box blinds ( took a lot of guiding skill) with them were like, we waited a long time 2 1/2 hours before he came in. I have sat 10 sits over 30 hours and not seen anything (shotgun season started and the deer are locked down into hiding) so I was a bit pissed. They need to keep that off TV so people that are trying to get into hunting dont think that is the norm, they need a show that shows the hard ships of hunting, cost, what to expect AKA the REAL truth about hunting. I feel better, one last thought, that is not hunting at all that is a joke anyone that goes there to me is not hunting. I tried to call them to ask about fencing but the phone never would ring.

05-Dec-12
Well although I agree with much of what you said, I sure don't begrudge anyone who can go on a paid hunt on quality land to do so. It may not take as much work, but sure would be lots of fun occasionally :). I can tell you first hand having been on quite a few guided hunts for several species over the years - that it doesn't necessarily make it "easy" and automatically successful to go guided even on private land.

Sure.....TV shows usually don't reflect what most of us experience, but I'm not sure Id want to watch someone sit for hours in a stand seeing nothing.

05-Dec-12
MD- Their website claims they specialize in 200"-300" whitetails. It's a preserve.

05-Dec-12
It is high fenced, and they pay some huge amounts of money,25,000 plus. I would love to hear the hunt story from one of these so called hunters when it's in their trophy room. If that ranch can sucker people into forking over that much cash to kill a deer then good for them. I pitty the hunters and the kids who shoot a deer like that, because, any deer from here on out will never meet up to the expectation and I doubt they will continue hunting "regular" deer again. It's a joke what the hunting shows have become, instead of teaching they have become shopping deer shows. I laugh when I see someone pass up a 140/150 class deer because it's not big enough. I wonder how they grow such racks , they must put those deer on drip line of protein during the off season.

05-Dec-12
I watched the whole show( no idea why). I just don't get the mentality(and I've hunted high fence in south Texas, never will again) of paying 30,000$ to shoot a f$$ing PET.

05-Dec-12
It was unreal. the all you said is true times 10, but what you did not say is that the non-typical literally - litterally - could not walk straight given the rack.

He literally - literally - could not hold his neck up in a normal fashion and when he walked he listed badly towards the side of the rack where all the crap was.

it was a form of animal cruelty created by man in real life like i have never seen.

05-Dec-12
Bou, great point. I forgot about that but the one deer when he was shot his head hit the ground like 2 seconds before his body and the one the 9 year old girl shot he was probably glad to die. They cannot even barely move around. They had like 3 first hunts on the show. I dont mind SCI because of Shockey but what he does is hard and wild, but this episode is just crazy.

05-Dec-12
I agree! I hunt hard and long all season. This year I was gone 4-5 days a week for a month and half! I am eating tag soup! Several chances but just could not close the deal...even on a doe.

These stupid fake hunting shows show people paying huge money to hunt a 10,000 acre private farm where giant bucks just walk around all day everyday.

This is the 1st year that my a@# actually hurt from hunting so much. I literally could not even sit anymore on a couch due to the pain. Yea, I would love to see these jokers expierence what real hunting is about.

I am not complaining at all; just saying that the image these shows create is the farthest thing from reality in the world.

05-Dec-12
Genetic alteration is wrong, capitalism is not (yet). I will always have a special place in my heart for the public land "Spikey"!!!

05-Dec-12
I watched that show last night with total disgust. Like mentioned above the one buck could not even hold it's head up and was tipped to one side. I was sort of happy he got put out of his misery. Also for a preserve every deer shown their ribs were showing badly. I just do not understand how people can actually think they are shooting a deer of a lifetime. To me it would be like me raising a buck from a fawn to maturity 5 or 6 years old and go out and put a bullet or arrow in him and brag about what I just shot.

05-Dec-12
I also saw part of that show. When the "guide" had to wake up the father(who was lying on the floor of the blind sleeping) to witness his daughter kill that animal, and say it was a long hunt 2 1/2 hours. That show is the difference between killing and hunting, in my opinion.

05-Dec-12
On an all day hunt I probably sit a total of 1 hour. I stand for most of the time....This hunting is not for me, but I have to agree with Charlie....

05-Dec-12
I enjoyed the show.

05-Dec-12
Are you new to the Outdoor Channel. Junk is on all time.

05-Dec-12
Sounds like the last Drury video I saw MD! And I mean LAST!

05-Dec-12
I saw this same canned hunt last night and when I observed that buck with the grotesque antlers, I felt sorry for this animal as will as the young girl that was going to shoot it. Surely genetic altered antlers with his head handing to one side because of the weight.

Of course, high fives and smiles all around. This is the worst example of a canned hunt I have seen in a long time. Fair Chase, NOT. A good hunting example for the youth involved, NOT. That father and guide should be ashamed of themselves representing hunting in that way.

Paul Navarre

05-Dec-12
I unfortunately seen that show yesterday and it was truly disgusting. Like everyone else said the buck could barley walk or stand up with the rack. The rack was basically just solid chunks of antler growth with a mess of thick short rounded points on each side and the right side had two of these growths (one half that dropped down) The guide called the half that dropped down a drop tine. While they were sitting in the blind the buck was bedded down with in view and they were waiting for it to stand up for a shot. The guide even commented on how the buck was using the "drop tine section" to rest his head on the ground. The rack probably weighed a third or more of the buck. The buck looked to be suffering from malnutrition. Pretty much lost respect for SCI if they support or promote canned hunts of manufactured deer as shown in this show.

05-Dec-12
It was a true hunting show

I spent 30 minutes hunting for one redeeming nuggest, morsel, molecule of sport or information that would help calm the gag reflex that was churnning in my gut...........and i never came across it.

05-Dec-12
My brother in law's friend "hunted/killed" a deer at this place. A real monster. He settled for a 31 point non typical beast. Stated his family are "Silver members" at this place, allowing him to buy a deer a week or two before lowly ?non-members (does this mean his daddy had to pay twice :). He described how he "hunted" another deer for a whole week but settled on the 31 point. His panties got in a bunch when he was poked with the talk of the high fence and big wallet needed for that accomplishment.

Agree with above comments, that how one chooses to spend their trust fund is their business, but to call it hunting is 100% absolutely pure bull$#!%

05-Dec-12
Isn't there truly many meanings and definitions of " hunt"?

That show is not one of them, they are truly damned pets, nothing more.

05-Dec-12
They showed a picture with about 20 guys with the bucks they killed. How do they get the antlers to grow that large? Steroids?

05-Dec-12
I felt almost as sorry for the freak-deer as I did the poor people that were shooting them. almost.

05-Dec-12
I dont mind some of the shows on the outdoor channel and i watch a lot of them. Some of them describe how they farmed and scouted and did this and that before the season and those shows I enjoy, if they never got a deer it would get boring. Some of those guys are really good and do a good job I am sure some would debate me on that but to each there own, last night though as Bou and I were trying not to throw up I thought of tomorrow morning and how I just hope to see a fawn or something besides a squirrel and his 100 closest friends. I dont even care about guided hunts as long as its fair chase I think its great and thats me some guys dont mind high fence stuff but I think that the deer should have a chance weather its 100 acres or 100,000 acres. I know preserve hunting might not be as easy all the time as that show made out but I dont really blame the show as much as the outfit. Its there money, land, and deer do what you want but that is not the hunting I love.

05-Dec-12
It's a Keith Warren type of place.

05-Dec-12
Some years ago I had just returned from Colorado from a 14 day OTC elk hunt and was lucky enough to take a nice 290 class bull on the very last morning of a very tough hunt. When I arrived back home I went straight to the processor. As we were unloading my four mile packed out meat, a man pulled up with a nice bull (on a flat bed trailer). As small talk began I asked where he took such a nice bull and how did you manage to get the whole thing on a flatbed trailer? He said I killed it this morning right down the road at ** game ranch, I kind of laughed and said I thought you killed a real elk,he said that is a real elk he's way bigger than yours I said no it was'nt the elk i'm talking about live around 8000 to 10000 feet and they don't live near Coleman Tx. Even the processor laughed. As he proceeded to tell me what a waste it was for me to spend that many days and that much effort to come home with a bull that size, all I could say was, " I am one of the lucky ones this year that hunted elk, but I would go back and do it all again without bringing a bull home and that's why your not an elk hunter." I live in Texas and will never understand the mentality of shooting caged animals. I agree with the fact that its their money their land etc. but don't call it hunting. Hunting implies a chance you can fail.

05-Dec-12

05-Dec-12

05-Dec-12

05-Dec-12

05-Dec-12

05-Dec-12

06-Dec-12

06-Dec-12
Do you guys think those bucks were drugged in a small pen and then released right in front of the shooters?

If you watch both of the 300" bucks, they can barely walk. They were stumbling and barely could pick there heads off the ground, just before they were shot.

I don't care how big the antlers are, a mature buck will be able to hold his head in the air without difficulty if he is fully healthy.

I say they were given a sedative so they could be placed out in front of the shooter or something...

06-Dec-12
Guys, it's a TV show, what did you expect?

Or maybe in your world you sit around in your house with a laughter sound track in the background, engaged in repartee that leaves everyone in stiches....or your local law enforcement solves all crimes......or your doctor solves mysterious medical ailments with brilliant and compassionate caring treatment....

Sheesh guys, it's TV,don't expect anything real

06-Dec-12
Hey Rock, I hate to inform you but that was real, those deer were real, the people were too, and so were the guns they were shooting if you werent sure. We are not living in a fantasy world buddy, maybe we expected a show with some integrity that was not the worst hunting episode of any show I have ever seen. What we expect from big organizations like SCI is to represent hunters better and hunting as very few hunt that way maybe .05 percent and the rest of us work our arse's off, its a bit annoying. So maybe take your stupid comments elsewhere.

06-Dec-12
Crazy idea - hear me out.... don't watch it. I say to each their own. If they want to hunt that way so be it. It's no different than going out into the pasture and shooting a steer. Thats just their style of "hunting". Who really cares? I saw the show and once I saw what the were doing and how they were hunting... I turned it.

06-Dec-12
I am from WV, this place is in PA. When I turned to the Outdoor Channel; the first thing that tipped me off was that it was high fence was seeing them use a rifle and it looked to be summer time. Then I seen the size of the deer and the amount of "effort" involved in killing one.

So I went to the computer to look this place up. And sure enough it was a game farm. You need to go to youtube and look it up and hear the owner rationalize how it is "Fair Chase". Disgusting!!!!

06-Dec-12
The problem is not with us, we know better. The problem is not with the anti-hunters, they will never know. The problem is with the non-hunters. These are the people kind and generous enough to share their land, (in most cases at no cost to us)that see this as offensive and unsportsman like. The non-hunters are the ones I do not want to think differently about me as a hunter when they see this kind of show.

06-Dec-12
There was nothing fair chased about that show. It is all about $$$$ on 95% of these shows. The folks that shoot a "pig in a poke" are too lazy to do it the real way. I've almost given up on watching whitetail anything on TV. Whoa, wait a minute that buck was a stud and I need to catch my breath!!!!!!

06-Dec-12
MDcrazyman, you may have misunderstood my comments somewhat. I’m sorry I don’t always get my written comments as clear as they should be.

I am not trying to irritate you, but I do think you are maybe in a fantasy world if you are looking for ANY TV episode on most anything for ‘integrity’. I am sure the cars that are wrecked and some of the buildings destroyed on TV are real too.

SCI is very open about their record book for ‘estate’ trophies, and one of their ‘Friends of Record Book’ is the North American Deer Farmers Association. They will represent all of their constituents, all types of hunters/shooters on programs they sponsor.

Please don’t take offence…………I agree with you on the difficulty of a fair chase hunt and the time that must be invested, especially for a lot of inches of antler. I killed my first whitetail in 1967, and have taken deer every year since then (usually multiple deer) with firearm or bow in multiple states (mostly IL) always DIY except for mule deer in CO on private ground. After these 45 years, I have 4 whitetails and 1 mule deer buck mounted, that is all that have had any decent size to them. But then again, I am probably not a very good hunter.

I guess the point I am trying to make is we won’t find reality on TV, it won’t sell.

06-Dec-12
Sorry for the multiple posts, I guess I was a little impatient. I agree with the Non hunter comment about being offensive and unsportsman like. I think it carries over to non hunters thinking about giving hunting a try, as well as young people who are thinking about getting into hunting. I don't watch these shows because they are not reality, For me alot of the semi live hunts and plain hunting stories from some bowsiters are far more entertaining anyway.

06-Dec-12
in2dmtns

Did you ever hunt the free range elk in West Texas?

There are some realy nice bulls being killed. Saw a 310 the other day killed out of the Davis Mountains. Bow kill. Really nice.

Most people do not even know there are free range elk in Texas. Too caught up on the high fence thing.

06-Dec-12
Holly Molly I guess I'll have to quit working so late to pay the bill my government keeps charging and actually watch the show. Anyone got a name and episode? From what I have read above...if you can afford it good and do it! But do not call it hunting and give one more reason for the Anti's to bark louder!Bob.

29-Oct-20
I remember watching a husband and wife "team" on one of the hunting channels. Now I'm not knocking religion as I too believe in God. But they were over the top. About god and their good fortune hunting for their devotion. I watched that show three times and all three were filmed from the same box blind and the same high fence in the background with every animal that they "hunted" walking from right to left and killed in the same general area which was obviously just far enough off camera to not see the feeder they were going to. Made me sick. I no longer watch any hunting shows they are nothing but rich morons promoting their sponsors. To the real Elk hunter from Texas. I have killed one Colorado bull Elk and did so on a mountain the first time I ever went out west hunting. Called him in by myself to 32 yards and took him with my bow. Packed him out a 2 miles. It was hard as hell and worth every sore muscle. That is "hunting " I am also a Taxidermist and got a call from a guy wanting me to mount his trophy 6x6 bull Elk. It was bow season out west so I was expecting a Bull Elk from out west. The guy shows up with the bulls head and antlers still attached to the cape. I asked him what State he got him in and he kind of hesitated and said Colorado. I rolled the head and antlers over to pull it out of his truck bed and seen a bright yellow tag whith a number on it in the bulls left ear. I was immediately pissed off and told him that this wasn't a free range Elk and I wanted the truth. He said he shot it the day before at a the Bison/ Elk farm I will leave unnamed. Shot it with his bow and wounded it. Couldn't get close enough in the half mile square enclosure to shoot it again and they didn't have any rifles at the place so he went home and returned the next day with his Rifle and and and finish it off. He left with his bull elk. And a piece of my mind ringing in his ears. So now you know how I feel about shooting pets in a pen!!! No matter how big the "pen" is.

29-Oct-20
Resurrect an 8 year old thread.....That’s the fascinating part, sort of

29-Oct-20
It comes down to the Golden Rule !! Sadly the majority of high fence hunters have more pull in what happens with hunting/fishing etc.. High fence hunters generally consist of the ultra rich. Congressman, Senators, and the families that started/Own basically everything you buy. I could give a long detailed explanation but I believe it would fall on deaf ears.

Basically they have the right to do it and enjoy doing it. It’s not up to us to say if it’s OK.

Just think about this. If we bash it for whatever reason we’re dividing the highest force we have for hunting. These families dump millions into supporting everything the rest of us enjoy.

Who has more pull at the end of the day You who paid your $35 to RMEF or the Congressman, Sports team owner, and Restaurant Chain owners. Sitting together B.S.ing after their hunt.

If we look down on it or try to stop it what’s to say the next bill that comes across the Congressman’s desk that benefits all outdoors They say F@#$ It and sign to let that land be sold..

Like it or not High Fence hunters allow you to do what you love Maybe because they can’t

29-Oct-20
Tkyman, when you shoot an animal in a pen thats not hunting. Thats just shooting livestock. So please stop referring to it as hunting:)

29-Oct-20
Most TV remotes have an off switch, use it. I’ll never understand why some people get their panties in a wad when someone pays a huge amount of money to shoot a high fence animal. WHO CARES! It’s their money, it’s their hunt, if you want to call it that. Go hunting and enjoy and don’t worry about whether the next guy shot a few more inches of antler.

29-Oct-20
I’m with cell...resurrecting a thread that’s been dead for eight years? How do you even find stuff that old? And why?

29-Oct-20

Bou'bound's Link
Here is a supposed 400"er taken there, but I really don't see it. Can't be more than 385-390.

29-Oct-20
Not sure I saw if any said the name of the show , what was the name of the show you guys are referring too ??

• Sitka Gear