terriergal 10-Jan-13
terriergal 10-Jan-13
steamingutpiles 31-Jan-13
steamingutpiles 31-Jan-13
MTcountryboy 01-Feb-13
woodsman 05-Feb-13
NVR2L8 15-May-13
17-Dec-12
1 for 1, but can barely make out the number inside the circle... I know second number is "4" but is first number "7" ? Maybe I'm slightly colorblind as well...

17-Dec-12
Dang it I accidently hit submit before I clicked on my answer. Bummer

17-Dec-12
I will be the first to disagree/complain:) B is to low.

thanks Pat, i love doing these

17-Dec-12
Dang it I accidently hit submit before I clicked on my answer. Bummer ---me too!

17-Dec-12
I don't think I'm color blind but I can't tell what number that is.

17-Dec-12
screwed the first one, last time I picked the low one, like B and it was wrong, the higher one was correct, This time I picked the higher one and B was the right answer. I just don't know where to aim anymore...lol

17-Dec-12
Thanks BUCKeye - maybe I am not colorblind after all. I know that 2nd number is "4", and you would think Pat would have made the first number "3" for BT challenge "34", but no way is that a 3... Almost looks like a 2, maybe a 7 or a 1, but who knows... Pat probably just messin' with us...

17-Dec-12
Clearly 74. It jumps right out at you. Don't feel bad though, most men have a certain degree of color-blindness. Very few women have color-blindness(almost none). Before computers were able to match colors, the aftermarket paint companies used women to match and create formulas for matching the factory paint on cars.

B is low in the vitals if he does not flinch, but still in the vitals. It's dead center if he ducks the string. For once, it is exactly where I would aim.

18-Dec-12
didn't think about string ducking. Figured B was to low from an elevated stand though. looked at best one lung; most likely that wieird little pocket of gut that sits right where you would thing the heart would be. I don't like that spot.

Love the concept of a color-blind blood challenge.

18-Dec-12
Even though I got the answer right, I didn't like the first question out of the gate. I actually had to go back and see if I missed something because all the question asks is, "of the 4 choices which is best?" Which is the best what? The best letter or the best non-lethal shot to provide a poor blood trail which will make a great BTC game to keep the Bowsiters away from the high fence and bait threads, atleast until after Xmas.

18-Dec-12
Pat is finally maiking the shot selection question easy!

18-Dec-12
as I already knew, colorblind!

18-Dec-12
I picked b but hit the button fast and went in do I A get a do over ?

18-Dec-12
74 is what I saw! Now I am wondering if I see right? JJ

18-Dec-12
All i see are dots,

18-Dec-12
I woulda picked a spot right between the choices offered

18-Dec-12
I *know* that I'm red/green color blind. I also have known that it has always been hard for me to spot game in cover if it was standing still. I didn't put the two together until one time, while hunting with a former Green Beret. He told me that he was R/G color blind. Later he described his difficulty in spotting motionless game in cover. That's when it clicked.

Knowing doesn't change anything, but at least now I know why.

18-Dec-12
Maybe for the next bloodtrail challenge, you can make it for the "comprehensively" challenged.

LOL :-)

18-Dec-12
I agree, B is too low, especially if you are shooting from a tree stand. HOWEVER if you are expecting the deer to drop, then B is right. Hard to say. If I had been on the ground I would have said B. I assumed tree stand but it's hard to tell from the picture. It could be you're looking at a deer across from yourself on a little hillside.

18-Dec-12
The color blind challenge I passed easily enough, but got the question wrong. I am jumping on the disagree wagon and saying that B is too low. I would typically go between B and C, but like C better than B. If aiming for the exit, B seems like it would come out at the sternum and at best get a single lung. C is higher than I like, but should get top of on lung and center of the far lung from an elevated stand.

Thanks for the challenge, this should be fun trying it color blind.

18-Dec-12
Shot B pinwheels the heart. Double lung if he drops. Spot on where I would and do hold.

18-Dec-12
It also doesn't say anything about what "comes into range" means. It could anywhere from 10-15 up to 50 yards depending on who is doing the shooting. Distances in a 2d image are very deceiving, to me they always look a lot farther than they actually are. Deer are more likely to drop if you're shooting at them from 25-35 yards, because then they have more time before the arrow gets there (again depending on the setup and environmental noise conditions). Closer than that they are not going to have time, farther than that they are less likely to hear and interpret the shot as danger, if they hear the shot at all (again depending on environmental noise conditions).

18-Dec-12
I realize B aims at the heart, for those who can reliably hit a heart sized group with fixed blade heads at whatever range this shot was at (again, no real clue except a deceptive 2d picture). Not all of us are so blessed to be able to hold heart size groups with hunting equipment, due to physical and equipment limitations, which is why aiming for a double lung is better.

18-Dec-12
Thanks for the reminder Pat. Nothing like picking the scab!

I have known I am color blind since I was in high school. (My electronics teacher administered the test.) I was turned down for a job because I am color blind. (Rockwell International). The said out of a bundle of 100 pairs of wires, I could accurate pick out about 80%. (I guess that isn't good enough for the Space Shuttle/military contractor!)

What is the number? I could guess. (maybe the 1st question should have been "What is the number in the field of dots?") LOL!

When I have trouble tracking, I will get someone who can help. (My daughter helped me find one many years ago)

This is the biggest reason I switched to Snuffers many years ago. I need maximum blood on the ground. (I love hunting in snow, I wonder why?)

18-Dec-12
Got 100 on the last blood trail and blew the 1st question on this one. Actually if you were to draw lines thru the four choices, the intersection in the middle is where I would have aimed. So, my answer would really have been, none of the above.

Sorry Pat

18-Dec-12
I would say the angle of the shot has something to do with the shot.....steep angle and B is no go

18-Dec-12
I agree b-to low c-to high aim right between. Double lung short blood trail. Back-straps for dinner. Deer is looking the other way and should not drop if your bow is quiet. Oh well, next!

18-Dec-12
I'm a little confused.....since when is 1/3 up the body cavity "too low"? The shot looks to be between 15 & 20yds, and not a real high stand. Maybe 12-15ft? That shot at worst exits still 3" from the bottom of the chest cavity. Heart and lung....probably both lungs. And since I've never had a deer leap into the air at the shot...the worst that can happen is lung only if it drops.

18-Dec-12
Also got the first one wrong. Oh well, shoulda gone with my gut but at least I see the numbers.

18-Dec-12
I've got a real issue with this one already. I can't find anything to complain about!~ ;-)

18-Dec-12
The highest percentage kill shot will be c with the most room for arrow.(pun intended) i guessed b but will always shoot c.

18-Dec-12
Check out the reaction of the squirrel in the lower left corner of the video. I thought someone had shot him too....

18-Dec-12
Nice to see a new bloodtrail challenge Pat, these are my favorite part of bowsite. You do a good job with them. There may be as much if not more education involved as there is the complaining about them.

18-Dec-12

sitO's embedded Photo
sitO's embedded Photo
Here's the entrance, nock on shoulder.

18-Dec-12
Shot B is the Very Clear choice.

You guys need some anatomy lessons. Spot C is a spine hit. At best, one lung. If he ducks the string, you get lots of backstrap blood, a 200 yard tracking job which dries up, and a thread on Bowsite complaining about your P.O.S. broadhead because your "double lunged" deer got away.

18-Dec-12
Well I guess I'm "irresponsible" for choosing 5 minutes wait time on question 2. , sure looked like a quick kill shot to me, and probably dropped in site, the deer looked like it was already starting to drop. There clearly was not gut or liver involved it was either a heart shot and dead in seconds, or a wounding that will result in non-recovery (IMHO). 30 Minutes seemed to obvious so I thought why not - 5 minutes, what the heck, with all the coyotes around...

18-Dec-12
I almost thought five minutes too Jack. But then I rememberd it had already been 15 minutes from the shot before getting out of the tree.

18-Dec-12
B is the obvious choice. The bottom half of the heart is protected by the elbow, hit right above and you can catch both heart and bottom lungs.

Center body of the deer is between B and C....I also concur as why wouldn't you want to shoot the deer in the lower 1/3 of the kill zone?

sitO....please explain how the arrow is hitting the shoulder? The scapula is probably 8" above the arrow.

Guess I'm irresponsible as well..lol To me that was a perfect shot, doubt the deer went past 50yds.

19-Dec-12
I cannot read the number at all, everyone else in my family sees it clearly. Maybe this explains my difficulty picking up small blood spots, particularly in low light situations.

19-Dec-12
Damn I phone just blew question #2 buy hitting wrong choice.

19-Dec-12
Definately not colour blind and got two from two. We don't really use treestands in AUS. Spot and stalk. Also we rarely wait too long after the shot that way we can get on with more hunting. If worried about the animal running off, we may place a second shot although it is rarely needed. Love the chalenges Pat.

19-Dec-12
Darn, picked 5min waiting time, though I saw the deer go down in the video, sure sounded as if it blew out it's last breath.

19-Dec-12
Trophy8 you are correct...I think that is the largest misconception of shot placement in todays archery woods. That straight up the leg, above the elbow is "Shoulder Bone". It may be part of the shoulder....but it's all muscle....there is no bone there.

19-Dec-12
Trophy8,

After blowing up that pic and further examination, it is closer to the base of the shoulder...definitely not on the scapula, semantics.

I would like to formally apologize to all shoulder's.

19-Dec-12
Defining the "shoulder"

19-Dec-12

RLong's embedded Photo
RLong's embedded Photo
Defining the "shoulder"

Dang, still no ph9oto attached?

19-Dec-12

RLong's embedded Photo
RLong's embedded Photo

19-Dec-12

RLong's embedded Photo
RLong's embedded Photo

19-Dec-12
Spot on RL, been working on convincing all of my buddies to aim on your star.... some are slow to change, your overlay is pretty concise!

19-Dec-12
On pure broadside, that's where I am aiming! 100% agree and great job with the overlay! I love that diagram, I stole it from someone else's post years ago but great job overlaying it on that doe... what the diagram also shows is if you hit further back better to be high than low as the lungs "graduate" further back as they rise up into the cavity.

"B" was closes to the star, albeit a little lower..

19-Dec-12

19-Dec-12

RLong's embedded Photo
RLong's embedded Photo
Here is where, when asking among hunters, that I see most often pointed to as the perfect shot when the anatomy is not shown.

19-Dec-12
and many 3d targets incorrectly place it there too! That's a good shot when angle starts to qtr away obviously.

19-Dec-12
Jack, You're right, I have noticed that same thing on a number of 3D targets.

Quartering shots it is deadly placement. :)

19-Dec-12
I think 20 mins is plenty on an obviously dead deer.

19-Dec-12
I thought both questions were very straightforward. I ALWAYS hold low on deer and even on the few elk I've shot. I expect every one to jump the string. B was the best shot, and the shot I always aim for

I don't necessarily agree with 30 minute wait time on a deer hit as well as in that video, but that's the standard time that's preached, and generally what I abide by, unless I see the animal go down in sight. Sometimes I'll wait 45 minutes, and if I have light left, I'll wait to retrieve until legal shooting light has expired, which in the past has been an hour or two

Bring em on! I'm batting 100, and I generally do poorly on these things :)

Bake

19-Dec-12
Where is clue 3?

19-Dec-12
I missed the second one...that deer was pin wheeled. If you didn't see it fall and you only had that much time I think you should take up the trail quickly because sometimes it takes a lot of time to find blood. So in reality it would probably take much longer than 5 minutes. However, as I hit submit my thought went to what Bake just said, 30 minutes is mandatory.

I am only bitching because the 'irresponsible' comment hurt my feelings:(....LOL thanks a lot Pat!

I was surprised the deer didn't fall on camera though:) Good shot!!

19-Dec-12
I think this is totally awesome. I happen to be red/green color blind so I'm digging this challenge. Trailing deer for me has always been a challenge. If I do not see them go down I have to try and round up some friends. I have 2 boys now so anytime I shoot a deer I'm going to take them along with an experienced blood tracker and have them learn the skill. Neither of them are color blind. Thanks for this. Merry Christmas Friends!

20-Dec-12
sitO....Shoulder/scapula is really indifferent at the shot selection. What I was pointing out as are others is that many hold either to high or to far back, feeling they must adjust there aiming point.

With a first pin dialed in at 25yds, regardless if the deer is 10 or 25yds, putting the pin right above the elbow will put the arrow in the vitals. An added benefit is your aiming point never changes.

As RLong diagram shows, the shot selection actually gives the hunter a lot of room to hit the vitals.

20-Dec-12
I got 3 right, but confused about the explanation. It said people with with perfect vision can spot it, are you talking with or without your photo enhancement? To mee the blood in those pictures looks black, like in A it looks like someone took a piece of charcoal and rubbed it on the tree. I did see a black spot on D, but it was hard to distinguish if it was something black on the leaf or a spot of blood, but I guessed right. Is it supposed to look any different if my vision was perfect? BTW, I can see the two numbers in your test, '74', but that's not easy either because there are no teal dots on the horizontal line of the '4', only olive ones, so it pops out more as a '1', then a '4'.

BTW, I don't think your assessment of red/green color blindness is accurate. My brother in-law is red/green color blind and he sees red as a sort of amber, not black.

20-Dec-12
Q2 was a trick question in a way. 5 minutes plus the 15 you already waited in the tree is 20 minutes and that should be plenty. Five minutes alone is probably not good I agree even though the deer is dead but in the moment the hunter might not know what we see in the video.

20-Dec-12
I agree Trophy8, I always aim straight up the front leg, and the diagrams are revealing.

Question 3 got me...I picked "D" as well :(

20-Dec-12

ryanrc's embedded Photo
ryanrc's embedded Photo
B is perfect IMO. here is an example. here is the entry.

20-Dec-12

ryanrc's embedded Photo
ryanrc's embedded Photo
the result.

20-Dec-12
smokey,

Go back and re-read the question. Pat clearly states that the clock starts at the time of the shot. Not from when they got out of the tree. Five minutes had long since past, and is not a possible answer to the question.

20-Dec-12
Now we know why so many shoot over the deer's back. Mike

20-Dec-12
Damn i was trying to get inside Pat's head and figured "A" was no blood for question 3... It looked like blood for sure but given the low heart shot was thinking it was too high to be blood spatter way up that tree...

20-Dec-12
Honestly the Angle for question 1 appeared much steeper then your kill photo presents,Pat. This is fun non the less,the deer did drop also. Question #2 pat you already said you waited 15 minutes before getting down to inspect that arrow. So add 5 minutes and you got 20 minutes. A heart shot deer will be dead in less then 10 minutes. with 1 hour until dark and rain the 5 minute wait was plenty with the 15 minute prior wait. Now that is my 3 cents

20-Dec-12
I suck! One out of three!

20-Dec-12
Wow question 3 is just a lucky guess that I got right

20-Dec-12
I waited 5 minutes then took 15 to get down. that is not waiting. i missed it.

20-Dec-12
if you already waited 15 minutes to get down waiting 5 more minutes would be a total of 20 minutes. I always thought that was the recommended wait time before trailing a vital hit deer, which this obviously is. the coyotes simply add to that equation. oh well... i guess i'll take the 0.

20-Dec-12
I have never tried one of the blood trail challenges until now, because I am red/green colorblind. I had problems in grade school in art, and finally figured it out on my own just after high school. Seeing blood is almost impossible for me on green leaves. Snow on the other hand....

Since I hunt 99% of the time by myself, I have had to learn to do other things to find deer. Tracking them by their tracks is one of the things I have had to learn to do. Being absolutely sure of the hit is another one, so I have used bright yellow feathers for 25 years. BTW, blue and yellow are high intensity colors for those of us that are RG colorblind. Learn anatomy! It is obvious for those arguing that B was not the perfect shot that you need some more lessons on anatomy.

Intently following a deer once hit, noting landmarks and how the deer is reacting in the run, is also very important, as is listening intently when they get out of sight.

Jumping up and down, making noise, calling buddies can be saved for later or if you see the deer go down. Paying attention to the death run can teach you a lot if you are willing to listen and watch.

I can't see any number in the test. Doesn't surprise me, I have done these tests before.

So far, I have a perfect score. Thanks Pat for remembering us less fortunate bowhunters!

21-Dec-12

nijimasu's embedded Photo
nijimasu's embedded Photo
Note where my little black broadhead hole is- In the last two years I've seen 3 deer hit in this spot by hunters aiming low for the heart, but worried about elbow-bone. each time the hunter saw the deer bed, and though the deer acted gut-shotish, the hunters started tracking within 20 minutes, since they thought they'd scored vitals- and blew the deer out of their beds.

Beware of that if you're not familiar with this pocket or have groups bigger than 4 inches at whatever distance you deem to shoot at, and choose a more forward, higher aiming point.

Myself, I've been very leery of the "low shot"- opting for an aiming point halfway up the body straight up the leg.

That being said, the appearing downward angle of Pat's shot looks like it's flirting with disaster. If the angle isn't as severe as I'm percieving it to be from the media, I'll concede it's a viable shot (I mean the deer is dead, or we wouldn't be having the Bloodtrail Challenge with it, eh?)but I'm still going to go with my higher aiming point option if I'm above a deer.

21-Dec-12
Just whiffed on #4 to a slow computer this morning.... tried to hit the arrow down button to reveal the possible answers, and somehow got the submit button. Big fat zero on the board, but I was correct on the actual direction of travel- so I am still 4/4 on right answers.

21-Dec-12
pat,

with several great 3 and 4 blade muzzy's available, I am wondering why you chose a two blade, 85 grain for this hunt?

I am currently working on getting some phantom 125's to fly out of my setup. I have changed my opinion on COC's for elk.

21-Dec-12
Grrr...I had the right answer then when I selected the choices below I made the biggest mistake of all....trusting Pat on a bloodtrail challenge when he said textbook and no tricks! Ha!

21-Dec-12
Have to say, that assuming the answer choices matched the illustrated directions on clue 4, didn't even use the drop down to see choices, just picked the best of what was offered in the illustrations. As Brotsky said... grrr

21-Dec-12
Seriously, when does looking at blood spatter do any good? I'm just trying to get an example of a real life scenario. You pretty much know the direction a deer is travelling by the connecting the dots that lead you to that point. If I a deer stops, a drop of blood falls, then he turns 90 degrees, the previous drop won't show that. So the blood spatter isn't going to tell you anything you already don't know.

21-Dec-12
For the 4th clue there was no choice D when I did it.

TBB

21-Dec-12
Knife, real life scenario.... have seen many deer double back down a trail and then go 90 degrees off from there. Yes- it does get a bit confusing when the amount of blood increases on the double trail- but paying attention to spatter sometimes help sort this out...

21-Dec-12
I wonder how many are not even going to look at the drop down menu on #4.

So much for "textbook".

21-Dec-12
what's wrong with the 85 gr two-blade? Looks pretty awesome to me. No hinges, sharp, tough and excellent penetration and probably flies very well. I don't shoot them but I can look at the picture and know that much. Dead is dead - I am sure the spike was and rather quickly as we will surely find out soon..

21-Dec-12
I didn't click the drop down on #4 either.

21-Dec-12
Ahhhhh....I didn't see blood. Chose the "no blood". Dangit. :) LOL.

On the blood splatter issue, have used it more times than are countable over the years. You can never have too much information when trailing game.

21-Dec-12
Nijimasu...I agree, low and behind the elbow is on the fringe of the lungs at best. And "A LOT" of folks do aim "behind the crease" as you point out.

Straight up the leg...and stay above the elbow...good things happen. :)

21-Dec-12
Foul!!! There is no option on question 4. It is A or nothing. Is this a software glitch?

22-Dec-12
There should be partial credit given on Question No. 4 for one of the answers (even though it was not "correct") because it was right enough in a blood-trailing situation.

22-Dec-12
i doing well with this but man am i glad i can see red and green. i know if pat wanted to put the screws to me, he should do a color blind at dark bloodtrail. not sure there is a light big enough, or is there another trick?

22-Dec-12
I can not see blood in any of these pictures.....can't see the number at all...nor can I see blood when tracking (unless it is large amounts). I can not see hunters orange at all, but blue and yellow stick out like a sore thumb.

Anyone else here with color blindness have trouble with hunters orange?

For some reason I have always been good at spotting game, I'm not sure if this has to do with color, or if I've just learned how to spot the shapes i'm looking for.

The interesting thing about this is that I can see red and green....I can see them just fine, bright red looks bright red, not grey, but for some reason if you were to throw a small red ball out into a nice green yard, I would have to step on it to find it. Purple looks blue to me (can't see the red in it) I actually bought a purple mountain bike in college, which my buddies let me ride for a couple days before informing me of my questionable choice in color.

Does any one have any experience with those lights that are supposed to make blood stick out? I wonder if they would help.

22-Dec-12
I hope there's coal in someone's stocking......

22-Dec-12
Pat=Grinch

22-Dec-12
""This competition will be textbook with no tricks, traps, or word play.""

I will never trust you ever again!

Merry Christmas.

22-Dec-12
nehunter +1. Did not even look up high in the picture on #6

22-Dec-12
reighndeer, really?

22-Dec-12
I'm arguing for 9 points on "clue 6"...I will copy and paste what I read to begin the game. "This bloodtrail is 100% real. All the pictures and steps are as it happened during a Connecticut deer hunt in December, 2012. Good Luck!" I don't really believe in there being a santa...so how do I count the deer pulling the sleigh...You got me on that one. Merry Christmas!

22-Dec-12
So glad I'm not color blind. I have a hard enough time finding deer on sparse trails with full color vision.

22-Dec-12
I want my money Back!!

22-Dec-12
I will say that for a "textbook" bloodtrail, when I see that blood trail on the ground I was tricked into assuming that I was following it from behind, not the other way. I should have payed closer attention to the splatter. At least I got 3 points. Thanks.

22-Dec-12
Freaking reindeer? WTF?

Merry Christmas Pat!

22-Dec-12
I will be honest and say I did not see the blood in #5. Went with the broken stick and must have gotten lucky.

22-Dec-12
In response to question 6 I say HUMBUG!

22-Dec-12
Wait a minute! Santa and his reindeer would only be out on Christmas Eve, not when Pat took these pictures! I say it's photoshopped!

22-Dec-12
What happened to "no tricks"?

22-Dec-12
Buckeye is right! My 9 year old spotted the reindeer and they were very obvious but I kept re reading "No tricks" and wind up with 3 points after a perfect score so far. Oh well, at least I'll be in a tree tomorrow, trying to create my own bloodtrail. I think I have reverse RG colorblindness because all of the clues so far have been very obvious to me.

22-Dec-12
I gotta say I sort of take offense to the comment in this BTC "this is a meat kill"... Seriously? Come on...

I was not aware there were other options with a bow (or any legal weapon/season) other than full meat recovery... (and I lost one to coyotes last year, and I really wanted that meat).

Why even SAY that? It implies that some of us might be out there for hunts with no regard for the meat whatsoever.

Sorry for mounting my high horse But I never got the memo....

Please clarify the statement - it can't possibly be as I interpreted it, and I have been accused of posting some of the stupidist threads in the history of Bowsite (from KJC no less, so take it with grain of salt :)

Maybe this will top it (even stupider), but I gotta speak my mind...

22-Dec-12
Well pat, ya got me. Never even noticed Santa! I have failed miserably. :)

Merry Christmas!!!!!!

22-Dec-12
Jack....I'm assuming, had he not made the statement of a meathunt, he would have been crucified for shooting a spike. God forbid! QDM nazi's would have been all over him like blowflies on a gutpile. :)

22-Dec-12
RL I hear ya... Just sort of rubs me the wrong way. Pat or anyone else doesn't have to justify a legal bowkill, and I am all for letting the little one's grow but thats a personal choice on any given day. My own father never passed on a spike and he has shot more than I can ever count. His favorite saying was always "nothing tastes better than a spike".

There has to be a better way to explain it and I guess the best way is no explanation required.

22-Dec-12
Wow, did real well on the first four then missed 5&6. I saw the deer in b I knew it was my imagination seeing the sled and deer as its not Christmas Eve yet. I have a hard time seeing blood to begin with so this color blind test has been a real eye opener.

22-Dec-12
Jack, I agree....it's a shame. And your dad was right. LOL!

23-Dec-12
I hate to be the grinch, but reindeer cannot fly. I thought maybe I had to much eggnog, and was seeing things. Oh well bring on the next clue.

23-Dec-12
I saw Santa but did not count him and the reindeer. I should have known!!!

23-Dec-12
My question is for those who got 9 points for #6. Did you catch the reindeer bit or did you get lucky? Either way congrats. I was on my way to a perfect score till this one. I absolute love these bloodtrail challenges. Thanks Pat and Merry Christmas

23-Dec-12
"All other aspects of this competition WILL BE TEXTBOOK with NO TRICKS, traps, or word play. Good luck!"

Apparently my comprehension of the English language isn't as up to par as I had thought. I was under the assumption that line meant there would be no misleading us on any of the clues. So imagine my surprise when I found the dead deer in the picture and chose the correct quadrant and still only received 3 points. If I had to classify that clue as either "textbook" or "trick," I would have to go with "trick."

23-Dec-12
OK, so I went out tonight and did create my own bloodtrail on a great buck. Pics and story tomorrow I am beat.

24-Dec-12
Nice shot! Can't really get any better than that. Dead Deer Running. :)

24-Dec-12
this competition will be textbook with no tricks, traps, or word play.

Liar,Liar pants on fire!!! :)

24-Dec-12
Pat this is more of a April fools joke, my wife and I saw the Santa and critter but just figgured it was your little christmas treat... now we must all assume that there will be trickery involved in these little brain teasers.

24-Dec-12
I have to say that as a colorblind bowhunter, I agree with the author's comment on clue #7 that this trail is hard for those of us with this affliction. I saw NOTHING in #4 or #5 that I even remotely thought was blood. Part of what I rely on is being able to examine sign with my fingers, which can't be done in the video exercises. I still find all of them to be VERY helpful though, so thanks Pat for continuing to produce them.

24-Dec-12
The choices on question 8 seem wrong. I got it right because it was closest to my experience. Has anyone seen a deer drop in its tracks with a heart shot?

25-Dec-12
Ok except for the sneaky old st nick I aced this one. I guess I will have to check the sky next time. Another fun treat, Thanks again Pat MERRY CHRISTMAS TO ALL!!!!!!!!!!!!

25-Dec-12
keep up the great work. i am very new to this and think it is the best site i have ever seen. thanks again.

25-Dec-12
Wish I had a second shot at the first question. I can see the number but didn't select my choices correctly. Aced the rest of the questions. (so far)

25-Dec-12
OK....missed one and didn't catch Rudolph. WHOOHOO!

25-Dec-12
rudolph sucks dont know why he was out anyway, santa got stuck in my chimney last year and now is fertiizer in my garden,

25-Dec-12
Glad I am not color blind!

25-Dec-12
Actually I thought this was one of the easier challenges. Even in Santa's picture, there was a clue in the answers.

26-Dec-12
"competition will be textbook with no tricks, traps, or word play. Good luck!"

Guess Santa and his deer are normal! LOL

Just kidding Pat!

Great challenge. I actually have a cousin that is color blind. He has called me several times over the years to come help him track. Always a pleasure to do so.

26-Dec-12
Just looking at all the scores in top 500 today it would appear after running the numbers it looks like North Dakota is leading with a total average score of 57.6

I too thought the Santa question was a trick. I do enjoy the game overall and always look forward to playing. Thanks a bunch for you time to do this and open it to us all.......Rookie@51

27-Dec-12
I am thankful for the anatomy illustrations. I have taken a lot of deer in the last 40 years and I have to say I have always shot back and higher than the ideal point. The shoulder bone is higher than most think it is. Thank you for the reminder. It may not be too late to reset my mental picture of a perfect shot.

08-Jan-13
The whole idea of a color blind version is a good one but the photos are not even close to what my color blind son tells me he sees. I showed him the photos and he laughed. There are different degrees of color blindness ( and his is pretty severe) but to portray the reds as pure shades of gray is unrealistic. A better job could've been done on correctly coloring the photos.

10-Jan-13
For clue 4 somehow we were supposed to choose "D, none of the above"??!? It doesn't GIVE us that choice. Come on guys! The first question was kinda iffy, now #4 is totally wrong. There isn't even enough blood in the pic to tell what direction the deer is moving IMO.

10-Jan-13
I agree that a better job could have been done on the photos. For the ones looking at general direction of travel, with such tiny spots of blood I would have been down on my hands and knees scrutinizing single drops, especially if i was that color blind. I wouldn't have been looking at it from my natural height. Some of the pix were really unhelpful because of the lack of detail.

31-Jan-13
B was the only shot choice for me. I have to laugh when I hear well my bow shoots fast they don't have time to duck.SMH! Do some people not realize what the speed of sound travels? Or the reaction time of a whitetail? Unless your arrow speed is 600+FPS Deer can drop under your aiming point. As far as the wait time unless I see it pile up then I agree with the 30 min. I didn't do well with some of the questions all I can say I'm thankful I'm not color blind, blood trails are hard enough for me now.

31-Jan-13
B was the only shot choice for me. I have to laugh when I hear well my bow shoots fast they don't have time to duck.SMH! Do some people not realize what the speed of sound travels? Or the reaction time of a whitetail? Unless your arrow speed is 600+FPS Deer can drop under your aiming point. As far as the wait time unless I see it pile up then I agree with the 30 min. I didn't do well with some of the questions all I can say I'm thankful I'm not color blind, blood trails are hard enough for me now.

01-Feb-13
The pics don't look anything like what I see...

All I can say is that this whole mess has nothing to do with colorblindness......

I I think most just guessed and some got lucky......the test doesnt' prove anything about anything...I would even go as far as to say that some of the correct answers might not be correct.....who cares...stupid subject.

05-Feb-13
I've bowhunted near 50 yrs. and am severely red/green color blind. Color blind to the point of having to know the order of the stop light colors up/down and left/right.

sorry, but gotta disagree. some of the answers are those of someone not color blind at all. Doesn't look anything like what I see either

15-May-13
You color blind guys are probably right, it doesn't look like what you see. I used to work with a color blind survayor. He couldn't see the orange stakes but they did have a defined greyness to them. I'm not color blind but scored 100% How? shiny spots, moisture soaking into a log, broken sticks, and yes guessing were a deer would want to hide to die. In short past expereince. Stop the excuse train boys, this is just like life, you get what you get so make the best of what your given! And be thankful you got anything at all.

• Sitka Gear