bill v 20-Jul-20
APauls 21-Jul-20
35-Acre 21-Jul-20
LBshooter 21-Jul-20
Hondolane 21-Jul-20
Mule Power 21-Jul-20
Ollie 21-Jul-20
25-Jan-13
what are your thoughts on using rage broadhead for moose? I'd espescially like to here from or see some pics of guys who use rage on moose. I seen Jim Schockey shoot a huge bull with a rage, it only went about 30 yards and fell

25-Jan-13
I can't believe he or anyone would do such a thing!!! ;)

Fell in 30 yards eh.... Well, guess it'll work. Nice shooting!

25-Jan-13
he knows moose.

they will work.

i would like something with a bit more strength, but mechanicals will do their job if you do yours.

25-Jan-13
I know my buddy killed a 55" bull in BC couple years ago with rage at 50 yards. Said it was a complete pass through and ran 30-40 yards. So, I cant argue with that and to each their own :)

25-Jan-13
My dad shot his moose with a vortex. They work. I would not hesitate to use a rage on any animal.

25-Jan-13
Mosse/elk are big animals with heavy ribs and shoulders. It may perform great 9 out of 10 times with the rite arrow/bow. I want 10 out of 10 if I can get it. It would not be my choice. There are so many other good heads out there.

Eyad, ask your buddy if it woulda worked on a 56" bull at 51yds:)

Rick M

25-Jan-13
Heck, I watched some crummy show the other night and the guy was in a tree bling shooting a cape buffalo with what looked like a Rage! He had other game around before a buffalo herd came running in, he had to change "to his buffalo arrow". Wasn't a clean kill, had to shoot it at least one more time, possibly 2 more times. When they approached the dead (finally) buff, the hindquarter had blood all over it. I admit though to not paying rapt attention as I was reading a book and not following the show intently....

I agree that while it may work, it is not the head for all conditions. Just shows what sponsorship $$$$$$$$ can do!

>>>>--------->

25-Jan-13
I have shot two bull moose, one with fixed head (b4 expandables ) and one with rocket expandable. Both heads did the job but I now use fixed head, 450 gr arrow as I would not like to c what would happen to an expandable on a large rib bone on the entry side of a big bull. 50 - 50 chance of missing a rib but I don't believe those r good enough odds. Just my opinion.

25-Jan-13
"Eyad, ask your buddy if it woulda worked on a 56" bull at 51yds:) "

Ha ha! He actually just told me while shed hunting the other day. I actually stopped and turned around and said, "Really?"

Having dressed a moose, like you, I know how massive their structures are and would be nervous with a mech, although they do work as many have shown.

I still shoot them quite a bit on turks and deer sometimes, and have shot caribou, bears, pronghorns and mulies with them. No failures that I recall, other than pilot error :0

25-Jan-13
I think some mechanicals are great heads and they have a niche where they shine. I can't imagine though under any circumstances where I would even consider shooting one at any animal larger than an elk.

25-Jan-13

Rick M's embedded Photo
Rick M's embedded Photo
No doubt a solid mech will get the job done. My big problem with the "rage" is that if it does not open in the quiver or from hitting brush while stalking, you are now trying to push a LARGE diameter head with unsupported blades through these. Other than that I don't see any problems:)

Eyad, have a good weekend, "REALLY"

Rick M

25-Jan-13
You too Rick :)

30-Aug-19
this is an old thread and mechanicals have come a long way. Any updated personal experience on today's mechanicals on moose would be helpful. Thanks

30-Aug-19
Bet nobody's mind has changed in the last six years.

Specially since it hasn't changed, for most, in the past twenty five.

30-Aug-19
Moose are known to die pretty easily, but they do have an extra-thick hide that can challenge your broadhead. My last bull in BC, was killed with a 3-blade Grim Reaper mechanical. Actually shot him twice broadside through the ribs, centering the lungs both times. With a set-up generating 89 ft-lbs of KE. Both heads stopped before exiting the ribs on the far side. Of course he died fairly quick, so the result was fine. But I generally prefer pass-throughs if at all possible. Three moose I killed prior to that were all with fixed 3-blade heads and all were pass throughs. Got another Moose hunt coming up next month and will be using VPA terminator 3-blade fixed heads.

30-Aug-19
I’d use a mechanical but will say I don’t recall many on here saying a mechanical won’t work effectively on an ideal shot. Heck a field tip would probably work effectively on a perfect double lung pass through. Shoot a heavy arrow and place it perfectly and broadhead choice shouldn’t matter...

30-Aug-19
Unless Murphy shows up....

JMO, there’s no sense in using a product because a “celebrity” gets PAID to use it.

Which bow a guy shoots in competition probably doesn’t matter, but the Broadhead that you use on a hunt really does. At least some of the time.

Maybe Shockey is such a talented archer that he never fails to thread it between the ribs, but most of us Mere Mortals probably ought to opt for penetration first and cutting diameter second. It’s already abundantly proven that a standard-width 2-blade is more than capable from a mid- weight Stickbow...

I never will understand why you guys seem to be worried that a 3 or 4-blade fixed head won’t do the job...

30-Aug-19
^....does someone make a 3 or 4 blade fixed with a 1.5" to 2' cutting diameter like most mechs?

30-Aug-19
There are some pretty beefy 2-blades, but everybody knows that’s plenty. What’s the minimum in your state - 7/8” 2-blade?

I just don’t get the fascination with massive blood trails unless you’re hunting really tiny properties and there’s a compelling need to drop them extra quick, in which case aim for spine.

Get a decent shot with an exit wound and they’ll die quick enough. A lot of times with a 2-blade they don’t even know they’ve been hit and they don’t even bother to run.

How much easier can trailing get???

30-Aug-19
I was just Shockied he used a bow...... when he actually guides..... he doesn't care much for bow hunters. =D

30-Aug-19
Our group has killed 12 moose in 10 years, during the archery season in northern Ontario. Ten of those moose, were shot with fixed blades, all pass thru, lung shots. Most traveled 60 to eighty yards, with regular blood trails. Last year the same hunter shot both moose, using Rage hypodermics 2 inch blades. Both were pass thru, lung shots, in each animal the rib was cut thru going in, and another rib cut through going out. The difference was the blood trail, last year the blood was a paint line, like if you poured paint out a can, maximum distance traveled was 40 yards. The bull was huge , 4 skinned quarters, on butcher scale 801 pounds ( without tenderloins). This year I'm switching to hypodermics. The blood trail sold it.

30-Aug-19
So how was the blood trail with the fixed blades??

I just don’t get the preoccupation with blood trails that are so heavy that you need waders.

For me it’s a simple matter of risk management. I’d much rather face a 50% chance of minor difficulties than a 5% chance of a major SNAFU. And a failure to open or exit qualifies as FUBAR.

30-Aug-19
^..."And a failure to open or exit qualifies as FUBAR."

Did you mean pass thru vs exit?

I think I'll take a 95% rate of nothing happening vs a 50% rate of nothing happening. IMO a quality hit with quality blood trail seems like a pretty good goal to shoot for.

30-Aug-19
I’m happy as long as there are two holes. Complete passthrough is better, though, because they get pretty freaked out with an arrow sticking out of them and they go bats.

The holes don’t have to be big enough to drive a truck through and they don’t need to spew blood like a firehose. As long as I hit OK, there’ll be blood enough to follow the tracks.

Guess it comes down to a little faith in my trailing skills and the fact that I’m not angry at these animals. I don’t get my rocks off on the gore; just want them to have as peaceful a death as they can.

30-Aug-19
A 2013 thread complete with 2019 responses about MBH's using 2013 logic. Never change Bowsite.

30-Aug-19
I wouldn't loose sleep if I was forced to use a smaller diameter mechanical on moose and elk. Hyperdermic +p, rocket steelhead, raptor tricks ect ...that said I am glad that I dont have to. I would much rather use fixed bladed head moose and elk, Soilds, Vipertricks or Ironwills go with me on moose and elk hunts.

20-Jul-20

20-Jul-20
Eh? Blast from the past Bou? Reminds me I need to reach out to some oldentimers and say hello.

20-Jul-20
I've seen it fail on much smaller animals. No way I'd use it for moose.

20-Jul-20
I think the old 3-blade Wac'ems were 1 1/2", but not positive. I know they were vicious sharp, but weak blades.

20-Jul-20
7 year old thread. Not sure why Bou drug it up.

20-Jul-20
I laugh every time I see a thread like this

Google, “ rage in the cage man”

Lol

21-Jul-20
I've and butchered 5 moose. No thanks.

21-Jul-20
How did this old thread come back up?

21-Jul-20
Friends have used mechanicals and after having failures they now use fixed heads. I use wensel woodsmanneskimos, I know they will do their job.

21-Jul-20
Rage will kill a moose no problem I don’t know why u would use anything else.. I shoot the 150 trypan and blow thu everything I’ve shot and watched it fall over

21-Jul-20
Anything will work..... once. You could probably kill one with a field point. I know a guy who killed a null elk with a .22 when he was a kid. However “I saw it on Youtube” doesn’t make it my weapon of choice.

21-Jul-20
We see threads here all the time about killing something with a super light weight bow. Just because someone can come up with an example where something worked does not necessarily mean it is a good idea. I feel the same when it comes to using mechanicals on big animals with big bones.

• Sitka Gear