coach 07-Apr-18
lawdy 08-Apr-18
newfi1946moose 08-Apr-18
Trial153 08-Apr-18
Whip 08-Apr-18
Buckhunter 08-Apr-18
coach 12-Apr-18
06-Apr-13
I visited with the owner of Parsons Pond Outfitters at a show yesterday. Also another outfit called Portland Creek. Has anyone had any experiences with either of these or know anything about them? Rates are good compared to others, fly in camps, and they claim good success rates. But they do cater primarily to rifle hunters, so that might be an issue.

Any other feedback anyone can provide? I do know about the Bowsite sponsors, and am considering those as well. Already plenty of information here on those, so don't need further on that, just looking for anything on Parsons Pond or Portland Creek.

Thanks!

06-Apr-13
To be honest.... Pay the little extra and hunt with one of the many outfitters that you see given good reviews on here. Rarely, when you pick an outfit based on price, does it work out as the best investment of your hard earned money.

Just my .02

06-Apr-13
Hunted with Portland Creek in 2008. Leonard Payne is/was the owner. By now could be his daughter running it.

Great guides,cabins,food. Just had trouble understanding Newfounese. We also shot good bulls but had to work hard for them but that may be the case all over the island.

ParsonsPond I believe has a lot of P&Y entries but that could have changed with the changing caribou herds.

This is one hunt to research thoroughly!!!

06-Apr-13
Have they determined tag allotments for 2013 season yet?

06-Apr-13
I agree with PAstringking. Also he knows of a good newfie outfitter.

I hunted with Parsons back in 2001, it was a so-so hunt. Had three friends go in 2003 or so, they weren't that satisfied neither. Three rifle guys with nine tags (moose, caribou and bear) took one moose and one caribou.

07-Apr-13
Tag allocation is proposed to be same as last year.

Still no indication of future years.

07-Apr-13
I'm going with Ironbound this year. Should be awesome. They kill a lot of moose.

07-Apr-13
Whip- You got mail! I mean a pm.

08-Apr-13
Very helpful - thanks for the responses so far. It does seem like many, if not most, of the outfitters cater primarily to rifle hunters, which is understandable. It would help if the guide is familiar with bowhunting requirements, especially since I hunt with a recurve - I need to be able to get close. We are looking at possibly 2014.

08-Apr-13
There's also www.victoriaoutfitters.com We are located in Central Newfoundland, Millertown. PM for prices or email [email protected]

08-Apr-13
I am booked with Red Indian Lake for 2017....JJ

07-Apr-18
Just at the D&T Expos last night, checking out these same 2 outfitters as in Joe's question above, from 2013. This is on my bucket list, and looking to see if anyone has any newer info since this thread was started? Thanks! Karen

07-Apr-18
bowhunting on the rock is not really well understood. nearly all you hear and see quoted and promoted refers to gun hunting.

07-Apr-18

07-Apr-18
I know one of the guides who worked for Portland Creek. The guy knows moose. I don't know if he is still there, but he had a 100% success rate. He fishes for cod near us. Both outfitters are well known on the Great Pen.

07-Apr-18
A friend of ours has hunted with Portland Creek a couple times, and just booked again for next year. It sounds like hunters that go with a bow, and also take a gun along, get excited and often go ahead and use the gun instead of being patient. We would really like to TRY to make sure we have a guide who bowhunts as well, though I know of no way to guarantee it, just take the outfitters word on that.

08-Apr-18
Bowhunting isn't as popular in Newfy. A lot of the people I know up there are sustenance hunters. Grab a gun, find a nice eating animal, and get it in the freezer or jars.

08-Apr-18
Conne River Outfitters has a fly-in only bow camp. Hunted their drive-in rifle camp last fall on our 8th trip to NL. First time w/Conne and everything was excellent. Re-booked for 2019. From what I have seen, the key to bow in NL has to be the rut and guides who can call a bull by the hunter. My guide did an excellent job calling a decent bull out but NOT any chance for bow. I believe they are heavily booked but worth a try. Our meals/equipment/guides/meat care were top shelf.

08-Apr-18
This thread is like 5 years old....

08-Apr-18
It was brought to the top again by Coach. If you read the recent posts you'll see that she is considering the same two outfitters and is just asking for any more current information.

08-Apr-18
Whip did you go on your hunt in 2013? How was your experience?

12-Apr-18
Just booked with Portland Creek. Checked references etc, Looking forward to a great hunt. Thanks for the input. Karen

• Sitka Gear