Bou'bound 21-Feb-14
Bou'bound 16-Oct-15
SteveB 16-Oct-15
Owl 16-Oct-15
IdyllwildArcher 16-Oct-15
Medicinemann 16-Oct-15
Mark Watkins 16-Oct-15
14-Apr-13
Hey everyone. I am hunting with Byron during the 2014/2015 season. I am hoping to get ideas for what sort of gear I will need as I have never been on a hunt like this. Anything from boots to shirts, please lend a helping hand.

14-Apr-13
Your wallet!!!

14-Apr-13
Definitely get a good pair of gaiters.I would also get a small camera pouch that could go on your pack's shoulder strap and carry your camera there.If your camera isn't at your finger tips,you will miss a lot of pictures along the way.When you are scrambling,trying to keep up with guides and dogs,there often won't be time to get into your pack for it.

17-Apr-13

Bou'bound's embedded Photo
Check out Byron's hunts from the season just ended.

17-Apr-13

17-Apr-13

17-Apr-13

17-Apr-13

17-Apr-13

17-Apr-13

17-Apr-13

17-Apr-13

17-Apr-13

17-Apr-13

17-Apr-13

17-Apr-13

17-Apr-13

17-Apr-13

17-Apr-13

17-Apr-13
Good grief he shoots some monstrous cats up there!

17-Apr-13
Those cats are so big they almost look photoshopped! spectacular.

17-Apr-13
Truly no denying Byron gets it done and on big cats.

17-Apr-13
He sent me those pics the other day. I want to get one cat in my life and figured I would go with the best.

09-Jul-13
Any more news from the past season?

09-Jul-13
Monster cats for sure. Great hunt for those who can afford it and the wait list

09-Jul-13
Huge cats...and great use of a wide-angle lens, and getting in close. Major envy for your hunt.

24-Jan-14
Any word on how they are doing so far this year.

25-Jan-14
I have only seen a handful of pictures, but from what I've seen they're doing pretty well.

25-Jan-14
they kill some giants up there

28-Jan-14
Are any weeks/months better than others when booking with TNT - I'm guessing not...

28-Jan-14
Byron always told me that any time after Christmas is usually best. I always booked the same dates when going up there, (Dec. 27 - Jan 4). TNT will get it done regardless.

30-Jan-14
Slider, if you are going to "film" the hunt with still camera or on motion camera, make sure one of the guides has knowledge of your camera and their use before the cat is treed.

A lot is going on when the hounds are chasing and the cat is treed and sometimes in the excitement, taking a picture is the last thing on anyone's mind.

Make sure they know how to turn the cameras on and off and hold the cameras steady.

When I killed my cat, I had the guide stand behind me with the motion camera and I did a practice draw and aim, and then I let down to make sure the bow and arrow were correct. And then I told him, the next time would be the real deal and he was ready. All still and motion picts were great and came about with a little pre planning.

Layer up your clothing as you might be chasing and sweating a lot and if you get cold it can be a long cold hike out. It was -9 when I killed my cat.

Good luck, Paul

31-Jan-14
I got a couple photos from a pair of guys that went and they just took great cats on days 1 and 3. I think Eyad was a reference for them. I won't name names or post photos, but I understand they follow, but don't post, on this site.

31-Jan-14

TREESTANDWOLF's Link
Hey there Slider, your going to have a blast Hunting Mt Lions, and Byron is the man for huge ones.

During my hunt, my buddy filmed my hunt and he filmed everything. It's amazing on how much you will or will not use.

Here's the finished product from my hunt, watch the lion pounce on the dogs, it can get crazy real quick!

Have fun and good luck!

Oh yeah, wear gaiters.

12-Feb-14
My son got one yesterday. I did not hunt, just took him for a one time try with the best cat operation in north america. The province, game managment for cougar, and the outfitter and his system work togehter to get results that simply are not matched anywhere else.

12-Feb-14

can't sweem to post photos but the place is as advertised. Byron and the guides are maniacs on big cats. Unreal. I will post photos as soon as the connection allows. Still in Alberta trying to get home with a storm back there.

12-Feb-14
Awesome! Can't wait to see the pics & read the story

12-Feb-14
Awesome! Can't wait!

12-Feb-14
Awesome Bou! Never had a doubt. Look forward to the thread:)

12-Feb-14
Still can't get photos to go. Interesting thing Byron shared. Lions are the second smallest population of big game in Alberta behind only Grizzly. They are intensely managed, 24 no resident tags a year and the rest on quota allowing for about 140 animals to be taken about 60% tom and 40% female.

TNT then whittles that population down by 90%. The have no interest in females and no interest in 80% of the 50% male population. In other words they are interested only in about 10% or less of the total small population of the species. VERY FOCUSED on the top end toms. relentless focus on only that. not distracted by anything else.

Unlike other outfitters they bring the resources and experience, instinct, and knowledge to bear against the few big toms they come across. When they find the sign of one they simply will not leave it to seach for something easier. They will continually work that cat's area, 10-20 miles whatever, until they narrow down movement and patterns.

The terrain they hunt allows this as the access is fantastic due to logging and oil industry roads and cut lines. They can "grid out" in expanding or contracting radii to "box in" where the target tom is likley to be at a particular time. Then it is time to put the move on.

13-Feb-14
Damn, those are some big putty cats.

13-Feb-14
Thanks for sharing that bou'bound.

In other words, they don't kill females and sub adult toms...

Man, who woulda ever thought that was the recipe for success???

Oh, and I would add 'clients' to this sentence:

"Unlike other outfitters they bring the resources and experience, instinct, and knowledge..."

13-Feb-14
Very nice lions!

13-Feb-14
Can't wait for the pics. Byron puts his clients on some awesome cats. With the consistent success on big toms, he seems to be as close as you can get to a sure thing for big cats.

13-Feb-14
Congrats to your son Grant. Can't wait to see the hero shots.

13-Feb-14
Looking forward to photos of another monster Mt Lion Grant.

13-Feb-14
Congrats to your son.....

13-Feb-14
congrats to Nick .

13-Feb-14

13-Feb-14
That is just SICK...Those things are HUGE!!!! That is a different species of cat right there. Awesome...

13-Feb-14
What a PIG! Congrats.

13-Feb-14

13-Feb-14
Wow, that is a beast!

13-Feb-14
The only thing slower than the airlines in newark today is the internet. i will post more when i get home. it take 15 minutes to post a photo

he was a solid 170# with some food in his belly but not stuffed full like they can get after killing a deer, elk, moose or feral horse. amazingly he was proably 7 years old. early in the trip byron said anything 4 or over is really really good. they got a 3 1/2 or 4 year old a month ago that was bigger than this one. Some grow big fast and some never grow super big. my son is 6-2 and 210 but there is no doubt a certain amount of exaggeration that the photo angle provides, but not all that much. a big lion is big and the distortion is not all that material.

he is the cat of a lifetime, but whatever nick shot was going to be that so it is not a big deal in the end. it was a great trip, a great time and we learned so much in five days. i will share when i can.

13-Feb-14
the cat went way up in the tree. i did not think he was going to be able to take it with a bow. that would have been OK, but in the end he did.

when we got to the tree the thing was perfect at about 25 feet broadside. it then went up the tree and was at least 60 feet up. byron thought it was as high as he has seen them shot at, particularly with a bow (i was surprised to hear that most do not use bows). the cat was screened and nick was excited and who practices shooting 60-70 feet up from less than 10 yards out after running through thigh deep snow and standing straddling dead falls.

one thing when you get one like that treed after all that work it is going to die one way or the other. they don't walk away from them. they work too hard to get them up a tree and ensure they are big enough to walk away over the difference between a bullet and an arrow. to be continued........just got booted by security in newark.

OK back......a bunch of people going to isreal so i got moved.

anyway he took the first shot and missed......or it was deflected, but no hit. I really thought that was it an he was going to have to use the gun, but byron said try again and he drilled it a bit low but at that angle it was fine. cat crashed down and never moved a muscle. what would move a muscle after falling 6 or seven stories?????

overall amazing deal and the most interesting part is how they hunt them......

Alberta is known for great lions, but the cats are not present in large numbers and the management of the species is done with intense precision and a sound biological basis. We learned that among all the provincial big game animals only the grizzly bear exists in fewer numbers than the cougar. Lions are managed across nearly three dozen zones, and in each zone there are hard quotas for both male and female mortality. Only about one hundred and forty cats are allowed to be taken annually. Across the entire province there are only two dozen non-resident tags, and Stewart holds eight of them. It is with this very meticulous management process that the cougar hunting in Alberta has reached world class levels in terms of gender diversity and age structure.

Marrying that game management foundation with the approach Stewart uses put the hunt in perspective. At Tracks N Trails they have no interest in females and only seek the top ten percent of the male population. This means that in an animal pool that is comparatively sparse to begin with Stewart removes ninety percent or more of that population off the top. This degree of selectivity calls for a vastly different approach than most outfitters, who are happy with any legal lion and the occasional big tom for their client, opt to deploy. Stewart has perfected a system that leverages his decades of experience, instinct, and knowledge with the unique access that is present in the area as a result of the booming oil, gas, and logging businesses. When a suitable track is found, meaning an elite male as judged by track size and stride length, Stewart will continually scour the area in ever widening and shrinking concentric “boxes” that eventually will define where the animal is most likely to be. This process can take a week or more and requires multiple guides and specialized equipment. It is not until he is nearly certain that the mountain lion is in a well-defined area, or “box”, are the dogs used. There is no place for shortcuts in this and it really puts an onus on the humans, not just the dogs, to make the right decisions and ultimately bring the quarry to bay.

There is one other facet to this methodology that deviates from nearly all other cat chasers. Because they are looking for such a distinctive specimen, when the right track is found, almost regardless of its freshness, the animal becomes the singular emphasis of the outfitter. Stewart has learned that the odds in his game are much higher by sticking with any big cat sign for as long as possible, over looking for the next sign over the next mountain or across the next river. This tactic potentially requires longer hunts as a given cat may be worked for a week or more depending on what is discovered each day. With this mindset hunters find themselves in the position of pursuing not just a representative of a species, but a single mature animal. The learning that takes place in this highly specialized practice is as amazing as it is exciting.

more when i get a real connection........i need a connection home and an internet connection as well..........

13-Feb-14
Congrats to both of you for sharing this hunt with each other.

That cat is huge.

13-Feb-14

13-Feb-14
What's the cost and how long is the wait? It isn't on his website.

Thanks

13-Feb-14
I booked two years ago at 9,995. It was a three year wait but he had a cancellation this year and i had been checking in every few months asking to hunt in 2014 vs 2015. I heard second hand from a hunter he had ealrier this year that he is still booking three years out now at 12,500.

additional charge of about 500 for tags, etc. and 350 for hide prep, skull, shipping to stateside taxidermist, CITES, etc.

he is about twice what most the hunts in the states are. remember he only does 8 non-resident a year. i don't know about a return policy............he has never had a NR hunter not fill the tag.

13-Feb-14
I should also add he books nine day hunts (see details about as to why) whereas most US guys are 5-7 days. He also is not doing this himself. He has at least one, if not two, additional guides working the area and helping to narrow down the place the tom is likely to be.

13-Feb-14

13-Feb-14

13-Feb-14

13-Feb-14
Awesome pics Grant. Really glad it was the hunt you were hoping for :)Great memories for both of you.

13-Feb-14

13-Feb-14

13-Feb-14

13-Feb-14

13-Feb-14

13-Feb-14

13-Feb-14
Great Photos! Way to go!

13-Feb-14
Very nice... high end for sure. Ed F

13-Feb-14

13-Feb-14

13-Feb-14
Wow. Congrtas to the both of you. HUNT

13-Feb-14
Great cat & great pic's! What a great hunt to share with your son... Congrats to both of you!

14-Feb-14

14-Feb-14

14-Feb-14

14-Feb-14

14-Feb-14

16-Feb-14
Congrats Nick! Hunt of a lifetime!

16-Feb-14
Beautiful cat Nick Congrats!

17-Feb-14
Awesome cat and great story! Looks like that tom was behind plenty of branches so good shooting. Alberta is one of my favorite places to travel for hunting or just sight-seeing.

18-Feb-14
Great story and photos Bou. I'm happy you and your son had a great hunt and came home with a tremendous Lion.

I first learned about Byron through a Bowsite thread you posted years ago. I got the chance to take a big Tom with him in 2010 and it's nice to see you finally got the opportunity to experience one of Byron's hunts yourself.

Well done!

19-Feb-14
You know, as a professional photographer, I can guarantee you there are at least a dozen ways to make an animal look bigger than it really is in a photo...

..None of those techniques were used with that cat. Wow!

From one father to another, ...way to make some great memories.

Thanks for taking the time, and effort, to post all of those pics.

20-Feb-14
Awesome cat!

I am booked with Byron in 15/16 and cannot wait.

Reading stories like this isn't going to help the anxiousness.

Great narrative and pics, enjoyed all of it.

20-Feb-14
good decision

everyone should splurge once and a while in life and hunting with him is a good splurge.

21-Feb-14
What is the price of a hunt like this ?

21-Feb-14
Wow, what a monster! Congrats! Thanks Grant for explaining all that goes into a trophy hunt w/ TNT. Hopefully a lifesize mount is in the works.

21-Feb-14
Never mind , bou' bound answered my question in earlier post .

21-Feb-14
To expand on my post aboouve about Byrons process I should note that the "boxing in" technique is an option given specific conditons. We did that in Nick's case because access allowed and weather impacted us. It's certainly not a technique they rely on every time. A singular view is just that and each hunt can be very different.

He has caught over 500 and each has different pitfalls and issues to resolve. The noteworthy aspect of Nicks hunt was we had to deal with a snowed over non-existent 36hr+ old track at -22ºC on those icy deer trails but the dogs were able to unravel the mess through wolf and ungulate scent/sign even where no lion tracks were visible to the human eye for over 1.5 miles.

There are 32 resident quota areas for male/female (3 have no female quota) with 66 male, 50 female and 24 widely distributed (each have specific areas there valid) outfitter allocations (140 total).

16-Oct-15

After booking the hunt in 2012 for 2015 and getting to hunt in 2014 due to a cancellation......... and taking the cat in the story above.......... my son's Phil Soucy mount arrived today. He'll be pretty happy when he returns from his Middle East deployment in two months to see all the things in this photo.

16-Oct-15
I can understand his excitement on all accounts. What a great cat and exceptional taxidermy.

Please pass along my sincere appreciation for his service to help protect freedom! I wish him God-Speed.

16-Oct-15
Lord have mercy, those cats are to cougars what Brown Bear are to Grizzlies. Should be classified as a separate specie.

16-Oct-15
The dog looks nervous.

Grats to both of you.

Your son looks a lot like you.

16-Oct-15
Lol.....the dog DOES look nervous!!!

16-Oct-15
Great stuff Grant...thanks for posting!

Mark

• Sitka Gear