Forest bows 21-May-19
Forest bows 21-May-19
Treeline 21-May-19
Ermine 22-May-19
DonVathome 07-Jul-19
sticksender 08-Jul-19
SBH 08-Jul-19
07-May-13
Well once again i got skunked and my dad got lucky. He drew one of the archery G5 tags.

I started doing a little research and it looks like a large number of goats are killed in the needle creek drainage area. I believe this area is accessible only by the train. Is that correct? If so, can anybody provide any insight as to how that process works?

Also, any additional information you are willing to provide would be much appreciated. We both live in montrose and are really looking forward to exploring some new areas. I will be archery elk hunting at the same time.

07-May-13
Awesome...

07-May-13
Sweet

07-May-13
Yes it's accessible by train and its one of the toughest hunts on the planet. From what I hear. Goodluck, Mike

07-May-13

JSH's embedded Photo
JSH's embedded Photo
Hi. I drew the tag last year - what an adventure! A friend and I spent 4 days in July scouting and another 3 towards the end of September hunting.

There are several ways into the areas where the goats live, although the train and Needle Creek are by far the easiest. (Please note that I said 'easiest', not 'easy'.) I'll also say that getting into the area where the goats were was the most difficult part of the hunt - once there, the actual hunt wasn't very difficult.

The logistics of the trip were also relatively complex. I'm used to hunting elk where I pack my equipment, drive 4 hours to a trail head, backpack in a few hours, and begin hunting; in this case, getting into the Needle Basin was logistically difficult, but the hunt was easy (relatively). We drove from Denver to Silverton, boarded the afternoon train on its way back to Durango (all of this had to be set up beforehand and best to do by calling their booking agent), got off an hour later, and backpacked into the basin. The pack in is about 4K feet in elevation gain and about 7-8 miles. Gorgeous country.

We left a cooler at the train drop off (hidden in the brush and padlocked to a tree) and packed into the basin. We camped in the trees at about 11,500 and hunted up from there. When the goat was down, it took us two trips each to get the goat and gear out. Also, given the relatively large number of backpackers and folks taking day trips on the train, we tried to minimize the impact of brining a goat back down the trail and on the train (the only thing that gave us away was me carrying my bow; otherwise, I don't think anyone knew we were up there hunting).

Begin by plotting the kill sites that are posted on the Colorado DOW website - this will give you a good idea where the goats spend most of their time. Knowing where the coordinates cluster will put you into animals - in fact, the Needle Basin is full of animals, although most are nannies/kids or smaller males. If you're looking to take a reasonable animal and one that could still make P&Y, I wouldn't hesitate to hunt primarily out of this area. From my experience, the larger males typically inhabit higher ridges in the basin or more often other drainages surrounding it; if you're looking for an exceptional animal, you will probably want to look over the other drainages. I saw several great billies during both trips, although most of them were impossible to get to without putting life in jeopardy.

Also, most of the animals (especially the younger ones) are very used to humans, given the huge amount of backpacking traffic throughout the summer. The goats, remarkably, are drawn like magnets to human urine - they pull salt from the urine. My friend woke in the middle of the night on the summer trip to find two huge billies 10 feet from his tent working an area that had been used - they just stood there and looked at him - definitely not afraid of humans. We watched several different groups of goats move down a mountain hundreds of yards and a couple thousand feet to a place where humans had camped (and undoubtedly urinated).

I'm happy to talk G5 goats with you if you'd like, just PM me and we'll find time to chat. There's a reasonable amount of information on this site about G5, although not a lot of specific details.

Congratulations and good luck!

Jason

07-May-13
Jake and Sal Powell from Lake City know a lot about this area. They've killed some nice goats using traditional equipment. Go to the Colorado state forums and ask how to get a hold of him. He is a great guy, and will talk to you.

07-May-13

gotllama's embedded Photo
gotllama's embedded Photo
Congrads. I'm now up to five weighted points for that unit. Here is the goat my friend took last year. 9 7/8" Nannie. I live in Palisade so maybe we can meet up sometime if you are coming up to Grand Junction or you can contact me with questions. More than happy to help.

09-May-13
Me too!!!!!!!!! I drew as a NR!!!!!!! Sweeet congrat's to you (and to me)!

Jake Powell is a heck of a guide. He guides elk in 76 right? Taken the big 8 in Co with stick bow almost 2 times?

I hope you do not mind my jumping in I am stoked I drew. I drew bow sheep years ago in CO and got skunked in S44. That is not going to happen again!

09-May-13
Congrats David and Don on the tags, I can't wait for pics and stories from your hunts. I only earned another point.

Jason, I am interested in your hunt - did you post that hunt with pics, or write it up anywhere?

09-May-13
Congrats on the tags guys! I good friend of mine also drew G5. We are already making scouting plans. I would love to compare notes with anyone who has hunted the unit or is hunting this year.

10-May-13
Don, that's awesome...Congrats as well!

10-May-13
I drew this year as well, time to "get the lard off!!" I 've drawn a few other times in 5 It is always an adventure!

Old geezer biologist ( he was as old as I am now! I was 26) told me in the mid-80's "Hell boy, you know why I give 15 tags there?" no... "Cause ten will take one look at where they have to go and get back on the train!"

I spent 35 days there that year and came out with a whole lot of respect for the needles and for goats, and a much smaller belly. No finer hunt on earth, right up until it kills you! I can't wait to see if I can still do it.

10-May-13
This unit is where I hope to draw my goat tag, if I ever do, and kill my goat with my longbow or recurve. I'd love to go in first and see if I could handle it, BEFORE I had a goat tag, but with a tag for something in my wallet. Would it be worth it to get a deer or elk tag for the area, so that I could spend a week or 10 days in there with something to hunt, and work out the logistics on an actual hunt? I have had several bowhunters tell me about decent hunting elk in this area, obviously lower in elevation than the goats; not sure about the deer hunting? Don't want to burn all my deer points on a poor unit for deer. Isn't elk still OTC?

06-May-18
Here you go G5 guys!

07-May-18

delkslayr's embedded Photo
delkslayr's embedded Photo
Well I guess it was my turn! I drew the G5 tag 5 years after starting this thread and doing the hunt with my dad. He shot a young billy but at 55 he did pretty well doing the hike it took to get up there. Cant wait to do this hunt for myself.

08-May-18
Dirty D has hunted it and his Dad (67yrs old and one tuff dude) drew it last year. Both filled tags. Guessing he would give you some sage advice ....

20-May-19

marvelous's embedded Photo
I have killed 3 goats in g-5. Bow only! There are no secrets. They are on every peak. I have killed all of my goats within one basin. The goats are very mobile. The billies like to be alone that time of year. The easy goats are off of the train. I did not hunt that area. There are goats on the outside areas of the unit. It is the toughest hunt you will ever do. I killed my last one at 60 years old. It was 13000 ft. Good luck!

20-May-19

My last one

20-May-19

Co goat at 60 years old G5 unit
Co goat at 60 years old G5 unit
My last one at 60!

20-May-19
Pulled one of the tags in there myself this year. Looking forward to the adventure!

20-May-19
Wish I was 20 years younger. Have fun guys.

20-May-19
Treeline - I need to give you a call when I get some time. I am so pumped to chase goats on the annual elk hunt with Dad. You're doing the hunt right too!

20-May-19
Hope you guy's come back with a good story and lots of pics!

20-May-19
Good luck Tavis! Hunted there in 83. Couldn’t shoot

21-May-19

Treeline's embedded Photo
Treeline's embedded Photo
Got a present in the mail today:-)

21-May-19
Congrats to the G5 Goat hunters! Past successful hunters and those going this year! Good luck!

Trackman (Lyle) and I went in in '86 and had a 36 hr storm that started as rain then finished as 12" of snow in the high country. Made for tough hunting for a few days. The country is rough and I found myself climbing up cliffs that were tough to get back down. Safe hunting!

21-May-19
Congrats Tree,,going trad?,hope you post your hunt on here...good luck...

21-May-19
Tavis, way to rub it in.

good luck!

21-May-19
I am absolutely here for Treeline goat hunt with the trad bow

21-May-19

Forest bows's embedded Photo
No reason to scout before mid August.

21-May-19

My G5 goat from last year.

21-May-19
Planning to go late and, of course it will be trad!

Either my homemade laminated longbow or a very special self bow.

Will try to put together a decent recap!

22-May-19

Ermine's embedded Photo
Ermine's embedded Photo
Got mine in the mail too! Gonna be an exciting fall!

07-Jul-19
Congrat's on the tag. Take train in hike into Chicago basin shoot goat train back. The only hard part is the hike in - the goats are always there and very used to seeing people.

08-Jul-19
Good luck guys. Goats are such a fun hunt!

08-Jul-19
Congrats guys! Should have some good stories to tell. Take lots of pics for us!

• Sitka Gear