Ziek 14-Aug-13
Tilzbow 15-Aug-13
sundowner 15-Aug-13
Bowfreak 15-Aug-13
sundowner 15-Aug-13
sundowner 15-Aug-13
joehunter8301 15-Aug-13
13-Aug-13
My dad was telling me about watching a hunting show where the guy took carbon arrows and lay them in water. The guy claimed the heavy side would roll down and he would mark the top position. This was supposedly the equivalent of using a spline checker on the arrows....

Can anybody verify this works? It makes sense in theory, but does it actually work?

I'm needing to make up some new arrows and this would be great considering I don't have a good spline checker.

I also know that with carbons this isn't such a big deal, but I know it does make a difference.

13-Aug-13
Well, first off, it's spine, not spline. Secondly what he is doing is indeed finding the balance of the arrow, but that may or may not correspond to stiffness, which is what is measured by static spine gauges.

13-Aug-13
it's "spine" not "spline" not that that matters.

Your wasting your time......olympic archers might need that kind of info....but bowhunters don't......your time would be better spent shooting your bow.

13-Aug-13
didn't mean to beat you up twice about it.....we posted at the same time

13-Aug-13
Yes it works

13-Aug-13
JusPassin, I think he probably does indeed mean the spline of the arrow. Spine refers to the stiffness of the arrow while spline refers to the stiffest side of the arrow. If you were to check the arrow spine several times while rotating the arrow between each check, you would find that one orientation is stiffer.

To answer the original question: Yes, this method will generally find the stiffest side of the arrow because the stiff side is also typically slightly thicker. This is done all the time on high-end fishing rods to make sure that the stiffest side is oriented directly away from the user.

If taking ten minutes to figure out the stiffest side of each arrow so that you can orient them all the same way makes you feel better, knock yourself out; however, doing so will not make any difference whatsoever to the average shooter.

13-Aug-13
Definitely works. My groups tightened up, especially at longer ranges, and have less flyers. Like others have said the AVERAGE bowhunter probably wont notice a diiference. Nothing wrong with trying to make your arrows as consistent as possible though.

13-Aug-13
Is this done on a bare shaft? It seems that the fletching would affect the results.

13-Aug-13
Ericolson, I can find no reference to "spline" as it regards arrow stiffness. Other than it is often misused. That's not to say having all your arrows blanced to the same degree wouldn't improve consistancy if your form and technique are good enough to capitalize on it.

13-Aug-13
I have a buddy who tried the tub trick this year and it helped his groups improve with bh much better. I usually have to rotate nocks with each arrow while bh tuning til i get the arrow lined up right and it flies the best. The floating arrow trick will eliminate that process and keep your arrows more consistent. Out of my batch of 12 I think I had 4 arrows fly great and the others were off a bit (enough to bug me). After I rotated the nocks til I found the swweet spot I was able to get all of them to fly good. I am assuming I got the heavy spine of each arrow all alined up doing this and thats what made them fly great. My buddy did the floating trick and all but 3 arrows were on the money, good enough for me to try it. Make sure you stick a nock in each end of the arrow so the shaft dont fill up with water, and make sure the little bumps on the sides of the nocks are on opposite sides of the shaft for balance. Good luck

13-Aug-13
The "spine" of my arrows is fine! I am just wanting to orient the "spline" of my arrows all the same direction!

If you don't think this matters, take one fletched arrow and shoot it into the target for reference. Then take your other bare shaft arrows and shoot them into the target. Check out how many different directions the tails of those arrows are pointing.

Pick one arrow and start twisting the nock into different positions and see how it affects the way the arrow hits the target.

I actually noticed this while bare shaft tuning my bow last time. I had one arrow that kept hitting tail high while the others were perfect. I remembered an old traditional tuning trick and nocked the arrow 180 degrees off. Sure enough the arrow hit perfect. I tested it with this arrow several times and the results were the same EVERY TIME. Nocked with bump out, tail high. Nocked with bump in, perfect.

After 30+ years of shooting archery, I'm pretty sure I know the difference between "spine" and "spline".

13-Aug-13
I build flyrods and always index each section as there is a "spine". Makes sense on arrows as well but to minor for me to benefit from shooting a trad bow. The bad set of carbons is usually way more consistent than a great set of cedars or douglas fir shafts.

On rod sections you put one end on the table, the other end against your palm with the section at about a 45deg angle. With the other hand put some downward pressure in the middle of the section to flex it and then roll it side to side. The section will sorta flop to it weakest point. Never tried it with an arrow shaft.

13-Aug-13
I always get a kick out of the "average archer" "average bowhunter" "average rifle shooter" etc.

The guys working on the details are wanting to be better than "average" and if they have been at it long, likely are.

The guys discouraging them are likely "average" or "below average" and resent anyone trying to improve as it makes them look worse. I have seen this in every sport I have been involved in. Not knocking "below average" as slight less than half the archers are exactly that. I am one of the "below average" ones, but intend to improve.

13-Aug-13

You are correct in your observation pertaining to turning nocks but what you are doing is orienting spine....Spline has nothing to do with an arrow.

13-Aug-13
OK...since you guys are making up definitions I am along for the ride. Did I tell anyone about the issue I ran into changing the wheel bearing assembly on my wife's car? It ended up costing me a fortune as I had to end up changing the axle too as I damaged the spine on the axle when disassembling.

13-Aug-13
When I make up a new batch of arrows I number them, if I get a flyer with the same number all the time I know its the arrow and not the ding dong shooting.

I too turn the nock to see if it straightens out.....not sure if this is an old trick as nocks you can turn have been around for what????20 years/;)

13-Aug-13
It works on most carbon shafts because they're wrapped. Doesn't work on a woven shaft. Same thing as orienting the weld seam on aluminum shafts.

13-Aug-13
TheLama, it's an old trick in that years ago traditional shooters would nock an arrow 180 degrees off to see if it's flight would improve. If it did they would CUT the old nock off and redo. Didn't have "turning nocks" back then!

Thats the reason some are arguing over the term "spline". It is something that doesn't matter to most compound shooters but it means everything to a traditional shooter who shoots wooden arrows. In fact, I'm betting that over 50% of compound shooters don't even have a clue that an arrow flexes more one way than it will another.

The only compound shooters who worry about it are the ones who are taking their shooting to a higher level.

13-Aug-13
Carbon Tech's Rick Mckinney writes:

Spine: Spine is probably the most important part of the arrow shaft and the most ignored. I presume the main reason for this is because it is the hardest for a manufacturer to get right and keep consistent. Also, it is one that cannot be measured very easily by the average person. Let's determine what spine is and do not confuse it with spline! Spline is what the fishing industry uses in order to get sort of the "back bone" of the fishing rod. This is sort of an overlap of material in order to get the stiffer side. Keeping this stiff side on the upper side makes it easier to handle when reeling in that big one! In archery you do not want a spline! You want an even consistent spine all the way around the shaft (circumferentially). Spine was established in modern times by Easton who uses a 29" arrow. You place this arrow on two posts measured out 28" apart. You then place a 1.94 pound weight in the middle of the shaft and measure how far the arrow shaft drops down. This gives you a static (non-moving) spine.

When an arrow is launched from a bow, the arrow flexes (dynamic spine). This flex needs to be a specific amount and stay consistent among all the arrows in order to carry a group. If the arrow flexes too much it becomes exceptionally critical. The smallest mistake made by the arrow increases substantially if the arrow is too weak.

If the arrow is too stiff it is not as critical, but does not give the best possible grouping. Thus it is far better for the arrow to be too stiff than too weak. That is why you may note that some companies fudge on the size arrow recommended towards the stiff side. This is far better than on the weak side. Since the arrow flexes upon being launched, you would want it to flex the same.

If the arrow is too stiff it will favor the left side while if the arrow is a bit weak, it favors the right side. Thus you will get lots of rights and lefts if you have lots of inconsistent spines in your arrows and that is exactly what you will get with many of the arrows on the market today. Since most of the archers do not know how to measure this spine, they are unaware of why they are not grouping so well. Also, you will note that most arrows that are sold in dozen groups, only 6 to 8 arrows will group and the rest will not. Again, this is due to the spine more than anything else. Sometimes they can get a few more arrows to group by moving the nock around the shaft a little in order to find a near correct spine. Many companies do not keep very tight tolerances on spine consistency. This causes all types of problems for the archer and the dealer. Of course, since most archers are not very good or accurate, they do not realize that the arrow is making them look even worse than what they really are. According to tests that I have been involved with, the tighter the spine tolerances the more accurate the arrows become. Keeping them .005" plus or minus is what was set years ago with aluminum arrows and their accuracy has been proven over the years. Some companies have spine deviations of over .040" plus or minus! Thus, it would be like putting spines of a 2113, 2116 and 2119 all in one group of arrows and expect them to shoot well. It will not happen!

Part of the reason for having so many spine inconsistencies is due to the material used. Some companies look for the cheapest product they can find in order to keep costs down. This severely causes huge spine deviations. Also, how the arrow is manufactured will cause spine inconsistencies. Most companies put the spine determining material on the outside and then grind it down to get as close to the weight they can get. However, this causes spine inconsistencies and breaks down the fibers that actually determine the spine. Cutting the materials requires tremendous precision in order to get the exact spines and many companies use like a paper cutting device to get their patterns. This gives a lot of spine inconsistencies as well. It also gives them a "spline" as talked about in the above paragraph.

Now if you consider the inconsistencies of spine, the straightness factors and weight factors, you can see why there is so many discrepancies in arrow shafts. The degree of importance is determined by what material is used. With aluminum arrows, the degree of importance is straightness, spine and then weight. With all carbon it is spine, straightness and then weight. The spine of an aluminum arrow is normally very good to start with.

However, this spine breaks down over time. Depending on the wall thickness spines of an aluminum arrow can break down as fast as 10 shots! This has been proven time and again by some of the best archers world wide. Although the only American manufacturer of aluminum shafts disputes this, the "proof is in the pudding"! Top archers will replace these arrows very quickly without anyone knowing any different.

Most all carbon arrows start to loose their spine over several hundred shots due to wear. As the arrow penetrates the target, the friction microscopically wears down the outer layer of carbon and since most companies have their spine determining layer on the outside, the spine gets weaker and weaker over time. The aluminum arrow breaks down for different reasons. The flexing of the shaft upon impact of the target, pulling the arrow out of the target and the launching of the arrow from the bow continues to flex the aluminum tube constantly and we all know what happens to metals when continuously flexing them back and forth.

Now you can understand some of the simple physics of what is happening to an arrow and why it is important to choose wisely when purchasing arrows.

13-Aug-13
Soooo.... once you find the, um, "stiffest" (heaviest?) side of an arrow what orientation would you put the "stiff" or heavier side? Down? Up? Doesn't matter as long as they are all the same?

With good ball bearing rollers it's not too hard to find it. Space the rollers as far apart as you can and use an old shaft to put pressure in the middle and roll the shaft with it. You can feel the spot you're looking for, normally the shaft will even stop rolling on that spot and the pressure point "tool" will slide. You can feel the spot you're looking for.(actually you are finding the "weak" side that way.)

13-Aug-13
Yah just can't teach a pig to sing.

13-Aug-13
You're right, some just refuse to admit they just might be wrong!!!

What's so sad is Bowfreak posts an article that specifically addresses the issue of "spine" and "Spline" and you guys refuse to realize it!

"Let's determine what spine is and do not confuse it with spline! Spline is what the fishing industry uses in order to get sort of the "back bone" of the fishing rod. This is sort of an overlap of material in order to get the stiffer side. Keeping this stiff side on the upper side makes it easier to handle when reeling in that big one! In archery you do not want a spline!"

That's right, you don't want it, but the fact is it exists in very small amounts and it does affect arrow flight! Depending on how the shaft is made determines the actual effect it will have.

This exists in wooden shafts because of the grain direction of the wood. Therefore it is a much more important aspect of traditional bow tuning.

13-Aug-13
You are not finding the spline....you are finding the seam or the heaviest section of the arrow. Carry on.

13-Aug-13
555.......I'm with you....I have made hundreds of wooden arrows....and cut many nocks off. Just started shooting a compound about 7 years ago.

My thought is are you correcting the arrow or just covering up a bad arrow? IE making it fly a little better.

I also make sure every arrow is fletched the same IE the logo is in the same spot, nock...etc.

I have found results like someone posted......twisted some nocks around and 9 of the 12 fly better now instead of 7 of 12. Bad arrows are bad arrows in my book.

JMHO

13-Aug-13
This might have worked on "most" all carbon arrow shafts 10 years ago. Today, carbon shafts are for the most part manufactured without any "seam" that would translate to a heavy and stiff side(spline). They are however ground into a smooth surface(all except Carbon Tech). This grinding can and will create inconsistencies in wall thickness(just like Rick wrote). The problem then becomes weather or not the shaft is heavier on one side because it's stiffer all the way down that side, or just in a few places???

The "spline" of any carbon blank will always be stiffer, but the "heavy" side of a carbon arrow may, or may not be stiffer.

This is why I shoot Carbon Tech arrows. They do not have a "spline" side of the shaft and are consistent in spine all the way around and up&down the shaft.

13-Aug-13
Is this still relevant with arrow like ACC and FMJ?

13-Aug-13
No offense intended, but the word "spline" is not being used correctly here.

Spline is not a part nor a characteristic of an arrow shaft.

A spline is a "gear-like" feature machined into a wheel hub splndle, an axle, or a drive shaft. "Spline" may also refer to a key in a steel rod used as a motor driveshaft to which a gear, pulley, or flywheel is fitted.

"Spline" is an automotive or mechanical term.

"Spine" is a term used to refer to the stiffness of an arrow shaft.

14-Aug-13
I can kinda see how it might be applied to a shaft with an interior or even exterior seam running the length of it.

But technically you're right. Splines basically keep things from spinning around a shaft, make it turn as one piece. It doesn't describe an abnormality in the SPINE when flexed in one direction vs another.

If I recall the (old?) Blackhawk Vapor shafts actually touted they were wrapped so as to have 3 separate seams at 120 degrees apart to compensate for the "spline" factor.

I liked em too, good shafts, killed a lot of stuff with them.

14-Aug-13
Well according to Websters it seems that a spline is something that slides into a groove. "Seam" would probably be a much more accurate term for the line down the arrow where it's welded together. I know that I have probably replaced hundreds of splines in the old mobile home ceiling tiles, and yes, they were called splines.

14-Aug-13
Great thread. I've learned a lot. While consistent "spline" orientation, would likely help me even more than others (I shoot carbon arrows from an 80# compound, with a finger release) I had never been educated about spline Vs. spine. For guys like me (finger shooters) even spine charts aren't really accurate as I require a stiffer spine than a person shooting the same setup who uses a release. It's gotten to the point that I truly do live in a world of trial and error...self testing. In appreciate the new perspective this thread has introduced.

14-Aug-13
If it's wrapped carbon, it has a seam. If it's aluminum and came from Easton, it has a weld line.

As noted by Bowfreak, all your doing floating carbon shafts is finding the heavy side of the shaft. Because most carbon shafts are centerless ground, the id and od may not be concentric and therefor the seam side may not be the stiffer spin.

14-Aug-13
"Spline is not a part nor a characteristic of an arrow shaft. "

I agree, I used it in my post as a reference to those who do use it. It is however a term used industry wide in other carbon blank uses ( fishing rods, golf club shafts ect...)

14-Aug-13
Spike Bull,

Could you provide a little more detail on using rollers to find the stiff side? Pictures would be great.

Thanks!

14-Aug-13
Unless the arrow is PERFECTLY straight, floating it won't necessarily determine the "heavy" side.

15-Aug-13
Got it. Appreciate the description! No pics needed.

15-Aug-13
I believe in taking every practical step to improve accuracy, and more power to you if anyone has the time to take it to these extremes.

However, I find it hard to believe that very many bowhunters, or even those specializing in target archery, are accurate enough to notice whether their arrows were oriented cinsistently with respect to the "stiff side".

In my opinion, most bowhunters, me included, would probably benefit more by working on improving their form, sighting tehniques, reducing bow-hand torque, yardage estimation, and just plain old fashioned practice.

15-Aug-13
I think that is fair to say sundowner. It is similar to choosing Gold Tip Pros vs. Expeditions.....both arrows built properly are going to produce identical result from the vast majority of shooters.

15-Aug-13
Right. One perameter of arrow shaft quality, straightness, is measured in 1/1000s of an inch, with the worst being in the 6/1000" range. Archers measure their groups by units of measure one thousand times larger.........inches.

The Bible speaks of "straining on a gnat, and swallowing a camel". Maybe that applies to a lot of things. :-)

Again, no offense intended toward those who are inclined to seek the most accurate equipment possible. I'm sure it is a fun passtime.

15-Aug-13

15-Aug-13
"Having the stiffest side of the arrow against any contact that must occur will stabilize the shaft as it leaves the bow the same way that you want the "spline" of a fishing rod AWAY from the fisherman."

Spike bull, are you saying its better to have the stiff side of the shaft down (touching the prongs of a drop away)? I am definately going to try the floating trick but didnt think it mattered which way the stiff side was as long as its consistent. If the stiff side needs to be downward touching the rest for maximum accuracy that's good to know. I might be taking it to crazy extremes but every little bit adds up :)

• Sitka Gear