Bowfreak 16-Oct-20
sitO 16-Oct-20
walking buffalo 16-Oct-20
Garagedoorguy 07-Apr-21
ELKMAN 08-Apr-21
drycreek 08-Apr-21
10-Sep-13

midwest's Link
I've been keeping an eye out for one of these decoys for quite awhile. Never seen one go this high! If you have one gathering dust somewhere, you might want to get it on eBay right around antelope season.

10-Sep-13
You might have an easier time finding a flambeau tri fold decoy. I have one and use it for my whitetail set up, looks like a spike buck.

10-Sep-13
Since I've gone the "be the decoy"... I have not used mine. Maybe the time to sell. Thanks for the heads up.

Good luck to all, the dog

10-Sep-13
I've been looking for one too, but don't know if I can quite swallow that price tag. That is a good ROI for hunting equip!

Pointingdogs, what would you like to get for yours?

--Jim

10-Sep-13

sbschindler's embedded Photo
sbschindler's embedded Photo
or you could make your own,

11-Sep-13
What is a Dutton decoy selling for these days?

11-Sep-13
Paul,

Check my link.

11-Sep-13
sb, If I remember right, you've killed quite a few lopes with that deek. I need to do the same and just build one. Getting a Dutton is just more of a collector thing for me now.

11-Sep-13
I've got one that I haven't used in years that I am willing to get rid of. Might have to check into ebay...

11-Sep-13
willing to sell mine.

12-Sep-13
interesting in deed! I even used mine for Mt Goat hunting by covering the decoy with long synthetic while hair from Hobby Lobby. It worked.

10-Oct-13
I used my Dutton buck decoy this year and realized the attached stake is too short so I am going to have a longer stake, ie, 18 in longer, welded on the original stake so I can hide behind it better instead of crouching lower as with the original stake.

11-Oct-13

sitO@play's embedded Photo
sitO@play's embedded Photo
Paul, I just bought a Flambeau from another BS'r and he had added this design...helps!

11-Oct-13
I have a flambeau antelope buck decoy which I use as a spike whitetail with a doe. Hard to find the duttons'. Look for a flambeau , make you life easier lol.

11-Oct-13
Yikes! That old fella out in my tool shed hasn't been used for years. But now that it's a "classic", I'm thinking I might just hang onto him awhile longer.

20-Aug-20
Would any of you gentlemen have a dutton antelope decoy they would sell? Thanks

20-Aug-20
I had a Bowsiter "gift" me one a few years back and haven't been antelope hunting since to try it out!

I plan to buy him dinner in Alaska next year. :-)

20-Aug-20
double

I plan to buy him dinner in Alaska next year. :-)

20-Aug-20

sitO's embedded Photo
sitO's embedded Photo
Get this, it's not a Dutton, but dang close and it works.

20-Aug-20
Didn't think they still made those, sitO!

20-Aug-20
Yep, and to think they were going for $2-300 a few yrs ago if you could even find one

20-Aug-20
Anyone near Kansas City wanting the Flambeau let me know. $30 asking.

20-Aug-20
Link comes up dry, maybe it sold?

20-Aug-20
I got to meet Mr. Dutton a couple years ago.

Genuine nice guy.

Said he never made any real money off the decoy, but it did allow him to go on a lot of cool hunts, all over the place, he never would have got to go on otherwise.

20-Aug-20
Just Google "Commandalope" there are many places that sell it, not all are that cheap but around $100.

Frank I'll buy yours, and pay shipping to Wichita if that works?

I have 2 of these, and a Dutton...but they do have some "mechanical challenges".

20-Aug-20
sitO, have you figured out a good way to keep them rigid in the wind?

20-Aug-20
Yep, there's a hole at the base of the rear(or we drill one). I stand it up and secure the middle stake, then stick an arrow up the decoy's butt and have two points of contact w/ground. Then I can spin it it left or right by moving the arrow. Helps a lot here in KS with the wind.

I also had stakes made with a "foot step" to help drive it into ground. I'll post a pic later.

20-Aug-20
elkmtngear, note the date of the original post.

20-Aug-20
sitO, that's a great idea, going to mod mine to do the same before I take it out this weekend.

20-Aug-20

sitO's embedded Photo
sitO's embedded Photo
Justin, PM me your address and I'll send you a better stake.

20-Aug-20

ND String Puller's embedded Photo
The Flambeau is far better than the Dutton IMO. I think the head foreword posture helps. Our Antelope are making a comeback here and the wife finally drew after 6 years. I can’t hardly wait to get her on a buck. It used to be OTC for archery.

20-Aug-20
Is that a PVC frame Kelly? Damn you guys are so much smarter than me! :)

20-Aug-20
I picked up a flambeau on the cheap last year. How about some up close pics of your frame ND.

20-Aug-20

Light wall pvc
Light wall pvc
Yes Pvc.... I slapped this together many years ago because..... My wife had a giant buck come in, but could barely get the stake in the hard clay. Just as she got to full draw the damn thing fell over into her lap! Sending the buck barreling away lol. Now you can hide behind this thing and slide it foreword very easily. If it’s too windy you can hold it with your knee. Adding a U.P. doe decoy to your bow gives you an extra second when you come over the top to shoot.

21-Aug-20
I like it. I will copy your design. Thanks!

21-Aug-20
First time I used a Mel Dutton, a gift from Mel, within 8 minutes had a buck down that green-grossed 80 1/8th, but that's been "a few" years ago.

Hunted with Mel the next year. Geez, he was an animal when his inner-predator kicked in. Great guy

21-Aug-20
SD boys are killers writer :)

That is great Kelly, I'm going to build a frame like that for my decoy. I think I can copy that frame, use sitO's stak for the wind and have a perfect set-up! I'll build little "U" brackets on the back though so I can slide the frame on and off easily and then have the option of using it or not based on situation. If you guys can't tell I get excited about smart mods!

21-Aug-20
Sounds good fellas ! Let me know how it works out. One thing I wondered is leaving the horizontal cross piece out you could fold the thing up smaller. But having it there keeps the decoy rigid which I like.....give and take I guess. My decoy has seen better days probably almost 20 years old. The hinges are a weak point, at least on mine. I used a piece of aluminum arrow shaft for a hinge pin in the neck. Good luck !

21-Aug-20
Brotsky,

What is sitO's mod?

21-Aug-20
Bought the materials for my "Kelly Mod" today!

21-Aug-20
Excellent!

I’m no expert, but there are some things you can do to help get a closer shot. I always try to get as close as possible before showing the decoy. But if it’s wide open they like to hang up at 50-60. If you sneak behind a hill or some terrain, show him the decoy. But as soon as he commits to coming in slide the decoy back a bit and he will have to pop up right in your wheel house to find the decoy. Easier said than done, but if you get in that situation give it a try. One great thing is there’s usually no shortage of opportunities!

21-Aug-20
Mark, vastly improved stake system to hold it down in the wind. That combined with Kelly’s light frame makes it perfect! Now I just i was by Menards instead of out antelope hunting!

22-Aug-20
Do you have a link to sitO's mod Justin?

22-Aug-20

midwest's embedded Photo
midwest's embedded Photo
It's in a post up above, Mark.

22-Aug-20
The modified stake just helps to get it into hard ground, here's the other part..." there's a hole at the base of the rear(or we drill one). I stand it up and secure the middle stake, then stick an arrow up the decoy's butt and have two points of contact w/ground. Then I can spin it it left or right by moving the arrow. Helps a lot here in KS with the wind."

I like Kelly's "mod", but I'm usually belly crawling and sliding the folded up decoy ahead of me on the ground... so I'm not sure that would work for me.

22-Aug-20

kota-man's embedded Photo
“Modified Mel”
“Modified Mel”
I used Kelly’s idea. Went with 1 1/4” instead of 1” PVC and skipped the cross brace. Seems plenty sturdy. Used a Bow Sling for a strap...Bring on the speed goats!

22-Aug-20

Folds up nice...

22-Aug-20

23-Aug-20
Thanks Nick....maybe I should have read the thread. Lol!

Looks good Kota.

23-Aug-20
Hell yes !!! Looks good Cory!

12-Sep-20
We bought a flambeau and will be making the modifications prior to our Thursday departure. Going to use wingnuts and maybe a few extra holes for added adjustments.

14-Oct-20
Looking to buy a Mel Dutton decoy. Is there anyone willing to sell one they have that they no longer use or are just willing to give up. Going out there this coming year and want to try one out. Email me at [email protected] if you have one you will part with.

16-Oct-20
Good luck BigGoat. You will probably have a better chance at getting a Commandalope. They are very good decoys too. Some say they like them better than the Dutton. I have no idea if that is true, its just something I have read.

16-Oct-20
Yep, just get the Commandalope...two sided...better

16-Oct-20

walking buffalo's embedded Photo
The biggest problems with many commercial design Pronghorn decoys is having a single spike on the decoy and no easy way to drive that spike into hard ground.

Homemade with All the bells and whistles. Two pronged spike with kickplate allows stand to be stomped into cement hard clay and wont spin or get knocked over in the wind. Set Knob on stand allows decoy to spin on the stand, or lock in place.

Taxidermy eye gives it life.

Many Pronghorns have met their fate from this happy plywood fella....

07-Apr-21
Anyone have a Mel Dutton Doe decoy they are willing to part with?

08-Apr-21
I have one i believe...

08-Apr-21
I sold mine to a Bowsiter several years ago and can’t remember who.......:-)

• Sitka Gear