MBMule 15-Dec-14
MBMule 15-Dec-14
MBMule 15-Dec-14
MBMule 15-Dec-14
MBMule 15-Dec-14
12-Sep-13

MBMule's embedded Photo
MBMule's embedded Photo
I think this is the same deer, what's everybody else's opinion?

The hard horn pictures are from 2 years ago after the season, the velvet pictures are from this summer.

As a baseline, I just measured his shed from 2 years ago, and with a 14" spread, with the other side matching, I estimate him to gross mid to high 140s.

12-Sep-13

MBMule's embedded Photo
MBMule's embedded Photo

12-Sep-13

MBMule's embedded Photo
MBMule's embedded Photo

12-Sep-13

MBMule's embedded Photo
MBMule's embedded Photo

12-Sep-13

MBMule's embedded Photo
MBMule's embedded Photo

12-Sep-13

MBMule's embedded Photo
MBMule's embedded Photo

12-Sep-13

MBMule's embedded Photo
MBMule's embedded Photo
This photo shows most of the reasons I think he's the same buck.

He's got the same sticker point on the main beam, although this year it's further from the brow tine.

The brow tines have a similar configuration; bladed with the right one being shorter than the other.

Decent mass and blading to the end of the main beam, particularly visible on the left antler.

12-Sep-13
I am no expert, but I see 3 different deer.

12-Sep-13
With the second hard horn picture, ignore the closest deer in the frame. He's the deer I got this previous season as a 4 year old.

13-Sep-13
Just curious archery95, what's your reasoning? I'm not 100% sure either, that's why I'm looking for others opinions and reasoning for that opinion.

13-Sep-13
Anybody else want to weigh in?

15-Sep-13
Sorry to bump, I'm just really curious to hear some other opinions and reasoning for that opinion.

15-Sep-13
114 all day long!

16-Sep-13
kellyharris, are you talking about the smaller 4x4 in the second hard horn picture, the hardhorn 5x5 or the buck in velvet?

16-Sep-13

23-Sep-13
Any other input?

23-Sep-13
Same deer. Sticker point confirms it.

23-Sep-13
Both score 114

23-Sep-13
I agree with kelly :)

ok maybe not, but I do agree with archery95 that those are different deer with the same genetics. A few things make me believe this:

1. the kicker is not in the same spot 2. another kicker off the G3 on the left beam 3. its a 9 point and not a ten 4. it looks like the brows are uneven vs even in the previous year 5. his snout is very dark now vs then although I would love to see a daylight pic from last year to look at his throat patch and face coloration.

Regardless two bruisers that I would be thrilled to get a shot at this year, definitely 140's.

23-Sep-13

MBMule's embedded Photo
MBMule's embedded Photo
XMan, sorry, no daylight picture. Here's a somewhat washed out head-on photo showing the slightly uneven brows from 2012.

I'm starting to agree that they're two different bucks with similar genetics. If he was only 4 1/2 when the photos were taken in early 2012, that would make him 6 1/2 this year. The buck in velvet doesn't look 6 1/2 to me, that's for sure.

For some reason, stickers between the brow and G2 and split brows seem to run in my area.

23-Sep-13

MBMule's embedded Photo
MBMule's embedded Photo
Another buck with similar genetics from a few years ago.

23-Sep-13

MBMule's embedded Photo
MBMule's embedded Photo
Somewhat similar one from last year.

23-Sep-13
MB, Do you think the throat patch is also a little different? hard to see it well with the night photo's but doesn't seem the same. Tines do look similar. Hard to age Canadian deer, they are so darned big, I always guess wrong. Good luck, thats a nice buck! XMan

23-Sep-13
Hard to tell, I didn't have any daylight photos of the 5x5 and the infared doesn't show up the throat patch very well. It kinda looks similar but it's daylight vs. darkness and winter cape vs. summer cape.

I haven't checked cameras since he shed his velvet, he may not even still be around.

26-Sep-13

MBMule's embedded Photo
MBMule's embedded Photo
Got some photos of him in hardhorn. These pictures lead me to believe he's only 3 1/2, based on his body size and shape.

What do you guys think?

28-Sep-13
Definitely a different deer, and I would agree, he looks like a 3 1/2 yo deer but it wouldn't surprise me if he was 2 1/2. Your deer in Manitoba are far larger than what we shoot in New England.

29-Sep-13
Yeah, now that I've seen these photos, he's definitely a different deer.

I hope he's not only 2 1/2! I don't want to have to wait another 2 years to hunt him! Then again, if he's only 2 1/2, I can just imagine what he'll look like when he's 4 1/2.

14-Dec-14

MBMule's embedded Photo
MBMule's embedded Photo
I totally forgot about this thread, but here's an update for anyone interested.

I was fortunate enough to kill this deer on the 3rd day of the Manitoba archery season. Looking at his jawbones, I could tell by the molar wear that he was a very old deer. I've sent his incisors in for cementum aging but won't have the results for a while.

I started looking at all my trail camera photos from previous years after I got Curly (as I called him) and I realized that I actually had photos of this deer all the way back to 2008, the first year I began bowhunting. Even in 2008, he was a mature 5x5, so even if he was only 3 years old in 2008 (I believe he was 4, judging by body shape, size and characteristics, but it's possible he was only 3), that would make him 9 in 2014, when I killed him. He is undoubtably the same deer. Some photos are easier to tell than others, but the one characteristic that he carried his whole life was a unique double throat patch. It's extremely small, about the size of a silver dollar and directly below his main throat patch. Directly above the silver dollar sized patch, the main throat patch dips up towards his jaw. That's the only way I can tell he's the same deer, as his antlers have changed so much over the course of his lifetime. Here's a good look at the double throat patch. Sorry for the crooked photo.

14-Dec-14
Congrats MB on taking that buck!

Where are the photos of you with him? Pretty cool you finally got it.

14-Dec-14
I'm with Xman... I want to see those kill photos! Congratulations!

14-Dec-14

MBMule's embedded Photo
MBMule's embedded Photo
Whoops, sorry! Here he is! When I get back the cementum aging, I'll update this post with his exact age.

15-Dec-14
Wow MBMule! Congratulations on getting the old boy, I can't wait to hear how old that buck is, it looks so OOLLLLDDDDD, great trophy buck!

15-Dec-14
Congratulations! I'll be looking watching for your post as well. Curious.

15-Dec-14

MBMule's embedded Photo
MBMule's embedded Photo
Thanks, gentlemen! You can see the small double throat patch in that photo. Here's a better view of it on trail camera. This was in 2014.

15-Dec-14

MBMule's embedded Photo
MBMule's embedded Photo
This was him in 2013.

15-Dec-14

MBMule's embedded Photo
MBMule's embedded Photo

15-Dec-14

MBMule's embedded Photo
MBMule's embedded Photo

15-Dec-14

MBMule's embedded Photo
MBMule's embedded Photo

15-Dec-14

MBMule's embedded Photo
MBMule's embedded Photo
2010 again

15-Dec-14

MBMule's embedded Photo
MBMule's embedded Photo

15-Dec-14

MBMule's embedded Photo
MBMule's embedded Photo
2008. This was the first year I got photos of Curly. I had always hunted with a rifle off and on since I was a kid, but I didn't really get serious about hunting until I started bowhunting. It's very special to me to get a buck that I've known about since I first started bowhunting seriously. He's a smart deer to have outsmarted hunters, both 2-legged and 4-legged for as long as he did. When I got him in September, he had almost no fat on his body anywhere. I really don't believe that he would have been able to survive the winter this year, so I consider myself very fortunate to have taken him before nature did.

15-Dec-14

MBMule's embedded Photo
MBMule's embedded Photo

• Sitka Gear