Will 18-Jan-21
Dale06 18-Jan-21
paul@thefort 18-Jan-21
ronsoutdoors 18-Jan-21
INbowdude 18-Jan-21
FORESTBOWS 18-Jan-21
INbowdude 19-Jan-21
18-Sep-13
hey guys. so for school we had to write an essay on a life experience that resulted in or supported a life lesson. I figured some of you may enjoy it and possibly tell me how you like it.

Everyone learns, at one point or another, to stay calm and be patient. These qualities come easily and quickly in life to some people, but it takes years for these qualities to develop in other people. Most parents try to teach their children these attributes at a young age by not giving the children anything and everything they want. It teaches the children to stay calm and be patient, both of which are important life skills. Let me tell you the story of an experience of mine that showed me the importance of calmness and patience.

For years my passion in life has been bowhunting whitetail deer. The rush of tenaciously trying to outsmart and ambush a mature, wise buck is what I live for. Stepping onto his turf and beating him at his own game of survival is quite the challenge. I’ve managed to progressively outsmart older, wiser, and bigger bucks every year, but I have yet to take a true monarch of a deer.

Last season I hunted a lot. I hunted countless hours .Every weekend I would leave my house, go to the woods, get settled into a treestand before daylight, and often sit almost 20 feet up a tree for over 10 hours. Every minute of daylight that passed, I was in the tree patiently waiting for my one chance. I had numerous opportunities at young deer, but I consistently waited for an older buck. Throughout the early stages of the season, I did see and come close to shooting a few nice bucks, but the pieces of the puzzle did not fit. I was never able to send an arrow.

On November 5, 2012, I headed out with plans to hunt from daylight to dark. I got settled in just as the sun began peeking over the hills. It was a calm, crisp morning. All of a sudden I hear leaves crunching behind me, and the sound is getting closer. At only 15 feet away from the base of my tree, an eight-point buck appears. As I examine him though, he appears to be an immature deer. I decide to let him walk by and not shoot.

The next two hours were filled with the enjoyment of watching wildlife interact around me. I witnessed several does, a few more young bucks, and many squirrels. I also had the privilege of witnessing a red-tailed hawk swoop down and talon a chipmunk off of a fallen tree. The hawk needed to kill the chipmunk to eat. The hawk needed to eat to survive. It was a beautiful sight.

As time continued, nine-o’clock a.m. came. I hear a twig snap behind me, and it was close. My mind started racing as to what it could be. I figured it was most likely a young deer or squirrel since I typically don’t see many older deer at this time. Yet I dare not turn around to see what it was and give my position away. I sat motionless. I strained to hear every sound I could. Finally, a shape appeared in the corner of my peripheral vision. It stopped. Within five seconds it continued walking, and at this point I knew it was a deer. As the deer walked behind an old poplar tree, I turned my head towards it.

As the deer emerged from behind the tree, my eyes grew big and my heart began pumping faster. It was the deer I had been waiting for all season. It was an old, wise, magnificent ten-point buck, standing just 30 feet away from me. He stood there, with his beautiful rack atop his head and his breath steaming from his nose in the freezing temperature. The adrenaline filling my body was remarkable. The buck started to walk, and I anxiously drew my bow back to execute the shot I have been waiting for.

At that exact moment, the buck saw my movement. I was busted. He wasted no time to see what I was, he just ran. Weeks of preparation were poured down the drain. The emotions I felt at that point were strong, and not happy. I was devastated, yet I still had a smile on my face. The rush of having that deer so close, knowing I had outsmarted him to a certain extent, was absolutely amazing. I decided to learn from my mistakes and stay persistent with my hunting.

The next day I went hunting after school. This time I was with my grandpap, who is who introduced me to deer hunting. We have a special bond between us. We’ve always hunted and fished together, and I couldn’t ask for a better role model. He took me out that day, and we got into our treestand around three-thirty p.m. We only had two hours to hunt, for it got dark around five-thirty.

After two hours, we had only seen one young doe. It was nearing five-thirty, and we were pondering leaving. Then, I saw a deer about one hundred yards away. It was coming towards us. As the deer got close enough for me to see what it was, I saw that it was a mature buck. My heart started pounding. The buck came in behind us. It closed the distance all the way to a mere eighteen yards. I drew my bow back, settled the pin, and released my arrow.

It was a perfect shot. My grandpap and I hugged and said we love each other. We began packing up our things, and then we climbed down to the ground. I rushed to where I saw the buck expire, and I recovered him. He was the biggest buck I had ever shot with my bow and by far the oldest. His body was massive, and he sported a beautiful, dark-colored rack.

My emotions came over me like a tsunami. My grandpap and I were both ecstatic. It was, and still is, one of the best moments I’ve ever experienced. My hard work and persistence finally paid off. I remained calm and patient throughout the season, and especially at the moment of truth. I have no doubt that staying calm, and being patient, was the single most important factor of taking this buck and sharing such a great moment with my grandpap.

18-Sep-13
Very thoughtful and well-written; thanks for sharing. You should consider submitting to the National Wild Turkey Federation Youth Essay contest. When I was 16 I won a $1,500 scholarship for a story of a deer hunt that wasn't unlike yours.

Would love to see a pic with you and the deer.

Happy Hunting

19-Sep-13
Great story!!!!

19-Sep-13
A+, that's my grade if I was your teacher.

Bowfisher: I have seen your words grow in maturity the last few years and could not be happier for you. You are wise beyond your years. What a great experience you shared with your Granpa! Have a safe season and enjoy the "view from above"!! C

19-Sep-13
Well Done!

19-Sep-13
Very Nice!

19-Sep-13
A+ is right, not just for the story, but for how you approach life. Congratulations - you should send that to every major hunting publication as well.

19-Sep-13
Very nice and like mentioned above A+! Let's see a picture to go with it! Good luck this season!!!

19-Sep-13
Great story and an easy read. I like it when I the words flow like that.

19-Sep-13
A+.

Please show us a photo.

19-Sep-13

bowfisher's embedded Photo
bowfisher's embedded Photo
Here he is guys.

19-Sep-13
Ehh I'd give you a C+. Just above average...

19-Sep-13
Haha get out of here cole

19-Sep-13
Great story and fine buck!

20-Sep-13
Thanks for the comments guys! Much appreciated

28-Oct-20
You can always recognize a good story when you put yourself in the story. Your reference to your relationship with your grandfather did it for me. I had a similar relationship with my grandfather. The buck is a beauty but you chose to focus on the process. Good for you.

28-Oct-20
Holy 2013. Is BigPizza still on here. I don’t recall seeing his posts lately.

28-Oct-20
A great simile for any pursuit. Keep your eye in the prize

28-Oct-20
A+ on the essay and the life lesson. All wild deer are trophy's if you have put forth the effort into the hunt even the one that got away was an experience you won't soon forget.

28-Oct-20
Very nice, Ethan! Good thing you don't live in Boulder, CO. An essay like that would get you suspended from school and enrolled in counseling.

28-Oct-20
That was a great read, bowfisher! Hopefully your desire still burns as bright, if not even brighter! Very special moment that you were blessed to share with your grandad.

Does bowfisher still post on here?

18-Jan-21
Great essay. I would say that you have a talent for cool and interesting stories, because personally I have serious problems with this and that is why I have to constantly use the services of the service https://papersowl.com/buy-cheap-essay. This is a good service from which you can buy a high-quality earthenware sketch, and most importantly without plagiarism and in accordance with all requirements. It's very cool.

18-Jan-21
congrats great story

18-Jan-21
Eight years later, where is bowfisher today and what is he doing? So many Bowsites have moved on and we do not know where or why. my best, Paul

18-Jan-21
Not trying to answer for him, but we stay in touch with one another through social media every once in a while. He is still hunting, mainly public land Whitetails, I believe he went out west either last year or is going this year, not entirely sure. Not sure if he is still active on this forum, but he's definitely still active as a hunter.

18-Jan-21
Enjoyed that a lot - thanks!

18-Jan-21
Nice! Thanks for sharing. Good luck on future hunts.

18-Jan-21
Thanks Chase for the update..

18-Jan-21
Nice Job young man , I expect you will have many more years of great stories write them all down so you can share with your grandson in the future

18-Jan-21
As a classroom teacher, I'd give you an "A" and an "A+" if you took me next season! LOL Very nice. Congrats.

18-Jan-21
I wonder what grade he got.....8 YEARS AGO!!

19-Jan-21
Good point Forest, I didn't see that. Doh!

• Sitka Gear