Bou'bound 15-Feb-14
caribou77 15-Feb-14
TREESTANDWOLF 15-Feb-14
cariboukid 24-Feb-14
Bou'bound 24-Feb-14
sureshot 10-Jul-15
RymanCat 10-Jul-15
02-Nov-13
Is there any indication, hope, or news on the Province keeping the two caribou limit for 2014 season. I know the indications and stated position was that 2013 would be the last year for two.

02-Nov-13
Grant,

I doubt that anyone else is going to answer you on this one!

Concerning the position on the caribou limit/hunter for 2014, I have recently received an email from our Federation (QOF) represented by Marc Plourde who was to be meeting with the Quebec minister in charge along with the minister of Tourism Quebec to attempt to regain our 2 caribou limit and who will get back to us shortly afterwards.

In my opinion it is completely uncalled for and furthermore it is simply ridiculous that our minister would even contemplate going to a single caribou limit at the present time. The Leaf River herd which migrates throughout north western Quebec was recently recounted at over 430 000 caribou and was found to be in a stable and healthy condition. This past season our guides who spent up to 12 weeks out on the tundra witnessed most cows having at least 1 if not 2 calves and even the local wardens agreed with our guides that the 2 caribou limit should be withheld as the herd looked to be increasing if anything. The herd is not only healthy but furthermore it is without doubt one of the most populated herds of caribou in north America. In the meanwhile there are only a fraction of the outfitter left in Quebec that there was just 10 years ago.

Believe it or not we (the remaining outfitters) were given a quota governing how many caribou licenses (2 caribou/license) we would be issued just two years ago but now instead of granting us the already limited quota that was just recently issued our minister (MRN)in charge has decided to double the quota of licenses but only allow 1 caribou/license! I for one failed to see the logic involved in the decision made by our minister, as any one outfitter can still harvest just as many caribou under this new regulation as he did in 2013 but with the new regulation in 2014 hunters are regulated to 1 caribou.

Long story short Marc (QOF) is supposed to get back to us shortly with a response as to how his meeting went with the minister and hopefully our suggestion of opting to withhold our limited quota of licenses with a 2 caribou limit will be reinstated and/or at the very least have the option to offer our hunters the option to purchase a 2nd caribou license will be alllowed.

As a consequence to the single caribou limit, I have decided to slightly reduce the pricing of our 2014 hunts ($300.00 less than what I had planned on charging for 2014) and I will simply offer the 2nd caribou option if and when it is permitted for an additional fee of $300.00 plus any added fees to purchase the 2nd license (if any).

After thoroughly looking things over and comparing the compete cost of a caribou hunt anywhere else in North America and considering our hunts are all inclusive (cost of transportation, license fees, air charters, taxes) our single caribou hunt is lower priced than any other outfitted/guided caribou hunt any where else in North America and furthermore we don't charge any extra to combine your caribou hunt with fishing, small game (ptarmigan), Canadian Geese, Snow Geese and Black bear hunting (other than the cost of the licenses required in order to do so).

Not to mention our success rate has been maintained higher than 90% for the past 20 years. The last three years we have been very close to 100%! I can guarantee you that you won't find too many outfitters offering caribou hunts who can truthfully boast that kind of success rate over such a long period of time. We can and the fact of the matter is that the only reason we can do so is because not only have 5 times the camps we book (over 30 camps and we only book 5) but most importantly we continually scout all these camps and we continually move our hunters into our best available camps from week to week throughout our entire season in order to stay in front of the herds rather than sit at camp waiting and hoping that the caribou will arrive at our door step....

I guess in my opinion the opportunity to see and shoot one caribou is still far better than the option to shoot two caribou but sit at a camp where you may never see any caribou...but none the less we are still fighting hard to maintain the 2 caribou limit and we are still optimistic that our minister will realize the importance of reinstating a 2 caribou limit and therefore once again grant us that option. With that all being said anyone booked with us in advance will be given priority to the 2nd caribou license if and when we are allowed to offer that option.

Richard Hume

03-Nov-13
Sounds great thanks for the detailed response. Looking forward to the trip regardless of the number of tags. Have yet to see an elk, moose, grizzly, cougar, sheep, goat, etc. hunt with double tags so not sure why that in and of itself would be an issue with caribou hunters.

Anyone would rather have a couple tags, it just provides more options and flexibility, but one is still great.

03-Nov-13
I do agree Grant.

6 days goes by quick and it is not as if there isn't plenty of other things to do once you've bagged your caribou.

In some ways perhaps we have been missing out on so many other benefits of being out on the tundra by sacrificing too much time towards getting a 2nd caribou, when we could be doing a bit more fishing or ptarmigan and/or black bear hunting rather than concentrating all of our time solely on shooting the 2nd caribou. Those who wish to be a bit more selective have that option and could prolong their hunt by doing so.

I am quite certain that 1 tag or two the overall experience and enjoyment of the trip will be equaled.

With all that being said we will continue our fight to regain the 2nd caribou as I don't believe that dropping to a single caribou was necessary at this point in time. I will keep you informed.

Richard

03-Nov-13
One caribou or two doesn't matter to me. Of course next year will be my 14th trip with JHA. There is so much more to the trip than just killing 2 caribou. The fishing is excellent and just being on the tundra and seeing wildlife makes the trip worthwhile. The friends you make and the comradery you share will last you a lifetime. If you go just because you can kill two animals IMO you are going for the wrong reason. There is so much more to a caribou hunt, or any hunt for that matter. Of course caribou hunting is in my blood and will continue to go regardless of the limit. And I will admit I am a little biased toward JHA. Have always had a great time with them. I didn't need the Bigfoot and a couple of other incidents though!!!! See you on the tundra. Rory

04-Nov-13
Thanks for the kind comments Rory!

Some of you have perhaps heard of or even hunted at "King Lake" which is one of our farthest camps to the north (not including Arctic Adventure's 5 camps which are a bit further north than King Lake). King Lake was actually named after one of our favorite clients, "Rory King".

It's guys like Rory that make this business so damn enjoyable. We get to look forward to seeing guys like Rory from one year to the next and it's always a great pleasure to see a familiar face getting off that charter flight. Rory is certainly one of those clients that you just can't help but to develop a friendship with.

He has seen it all over the years and has more stories to tell than he could ever possibly get around to telling! Including one where he recalls his encounter with Big Foot at our hunting camp located at Lake Kathleen!

If ever you have the pleasure of sharing one of our hunting camps with Rory you certainly won't be bored sitting around a camp fire at night!

Thanks again Rory! It wouldn't be the same without you!

Richard

04-Nov-13
Thanks Richard. Some people probably think I am pure BS!! Sometimes the adventure part of JHA can get really exciting!!! Have had more than my fair share of excitement up there. I wouldn't miss it for the world and will keep coming as long as this beat up old Finnlanders body holds up. Had a tough time last year but Alfred and Bob really helped me out. They really went out of their way to make sure I had a great trip. All part of JHA doing all they can to ensure that you have a great experience no matter what you physical abilities are. Thank you so much for all the great experiences over the years. You, Amanda and your whole crew are fantastic and I am happy to call you friends. Rory

24-Jan-14
any update?

25-Jan-14
I saw Richard at a couple of the hunting shows. Sounds like we'll get the two caribou limit reinstated for the 2014 season!

25-Jan-14
One caribou or two, you won't find a better outfitter anywhere than Richard.

TBB

25-Jan-14
TradbowBob Agree with you 100%. Have been going with Richard for years and he and Amanda will really go out of there way to make things right. Have NEVER had a problem with them and they have been great with me. Would never consider a different caribou outfitter. Great people and operation. Rory

26-Jan-14
.....I agree with everything said about Richard & Amanda and JHA....I had booked my third with Richard (and Rory) for 2014 but needed to switch that to 2015. Richard's response was absolutely and if something changed and I was still able to go this year, just give him a call. What kind of people are Richard and Amanda? The kind you'd like to have as your neighbors. Couple that with how they run their business and I promise you'll have a hunt to remember for a lifetime.

27-Jan-14
Ditto....

06-Feb-14
Looks to be 2 for sure again

06-Feb-14
There was and is no doubt why I booked with Richard. The Bou will be the bonus, maybe 2!!

07-Feb-14
Hunting caribou with Richard, Amanda and their guides is an experience you will never forget regardless of the caribou limit. The country is beautiful, the food is great, fishing is excellent and the friends you make is enough to keep me coming back every year. If you plan for, and can handle the weather, this hunt is just plain old fashioned fun and IMO well worth the time and money. See you on the tundra. Rory

07-Feb-14
I just got an e-mail from Amanda, and it looks almost certain that they will be having the 2 caribou limit again.

HIP HIP HURRAY!!!

TBB

07-Feb-14
that is a win for biologists over politicians which is nice to see.

07-Feb-14
Trust in JHA.

10-Feb-14

cariboukid's Link
Yes, we have finally received confirmation that we (Quebec) will have a 2 caribou limit and it will be for both 2014 and 2015.

Visit our facebook page to see the press release which was put out just a few days ago.

Visit our page and like it to stay informed...

facebook.com/jackhumeadventures

11-Feb-14
Richard, Hope you had a good and productive show in Harrisburg. Did you happen to talk to Pat Boyer while you were there about hunting with him next year with your buddies? Please don't bring us a snow storm when you come to Minnesota next month. Hopefully you, Dave, Pete and myself can get away for dinner while you in Minneapolis. Rory

11-Feb-14
Have to ask: There is NO chance of them changing that 2 bou limit at some point... like after people book hunts is there?

I think it's time to get back to the tundra!

11-Feb-14
Mule,

You better get busy bud, you now have Moose, Caribou and Sika deer on that To-Do list! :-)

Damn, I think I just added 'bou to my Must -Do list, Ugh, ... oh well.

11-Feb-14
I certainly wouldn't think so. With the information that they have published on our herds population being over 430 000 strong and looking stable we are locked in until at least 2015 with a 2 caribou limit. That is why we regained our 2 caribou limit in the first place.

I might add that when our Minister first announced that we would be going to a single caribou limit I did not hide the fact but instead I offered full refunds to any hunters who chose not to stay on board with a single caribou. Over a dozen of my hunters who were previously booked prior to that announcement back last April were refunded in full (even though my reservation form stipulates otherwise).

I certainly would not want to obligate anyone to hunt with me if I did not feel that I was capable of offering them 100% of what they expected when the hunt was sold to them. I try to treat my clients in the same way that I'd expect to be treated if the roles were reversed.

Richard Hume

11-Feb-14
Yeah, I remember you offering full refunds. Glad it turned around. If only everyone had as much class and integrity as you in business. Our handshakes would be worth something again.

12-Feb-14
Richard is straighter than a grizzlies dick!!! Rory

12-Feb-14
Mule and Ace, jump in, I will be up there in 2015 with Richard, I'm solo this far on a 1x4 package.

12-Feb-14
You guys are safe with Richard.

12-Feb-14
...in response to Richards comment....last April he and I talked about the two versus one caribou, and those (we) who had already booked for 2014 when it looked for certain the announcement would be to one caribou. He told me then - no way he would obligate hunters if they went to one caribou. This past winter I had to rebook my 2014 hunt to 2015 for personal reasons. His response was 'absolutely' with no issues. Like I said before, Richard is the kind of guy you want for your neighbor. Add that to the way he runs his business and you WILL have a hunt to remember. I'm back with him for my 3rd hunt with he and Amanda in 2015. Handshakes do mean something here.

12-Feb-14
I could use a nice cape if any extras aavailable.

12-Feb-14
Treestandwolf, I can't remember which week you booked for. If you are going to be there Sept.3 - 9, 2015 you could join our group. So for the most we have is three. Talk to you soon. Rory

13-Feb-14
Nedly - just pulled the trigger for 2015. Bear with me.....

13-Feb-14
Ok Tom.

15-Feb-14
What is the closest town to where you hunt with JHA that we can watch weather on the internet?

15-Feb-14
Kuujjuaq

15-Feb-14
Hey Rory, that sounds great . Yes, the 3rd to the 9th, 2015

24-Feb-14
Thought some of you might be interested in this....

Great News For Quebec Caribou Hunters, Outfitters

Around the Campfire with Bill Feb 12, 2014, 8:59 AM EST Leave a comment

DCIM100SPORT

It’s the news those who love hunting the deer of the far north have been waiting to hear, and it’s even better than many of us might have anticipated. Quebec’s Minister of Sustainable Development, Environment, Wildlife and Parks, Yves-François Blanchet, announced late last week the regulations for caribou hunting he intends to implement in Northern Québec for the 2014-2015 season, and it includes extension of the tw0 caribou limit for sport hunters!

Caribou census and health data collected in the fall of 2013 on the Leaf River Herd indicate its population appears stable and healthy. Compared to results of earlier studies, the population has even grown a bit, particularly the number of mature bulls.

Remember, there are two caribou herds in Quebec. The Leaf River Herd ranges and is hunted primarily in northwestern Quebec. The Leaf River herd is the only one currently being hunted in Québec. Numbering roughly 430,000 heads in 2012, the herd shows positive signs of stability, with an estimated recruitment of 33 calves per 100 cows. Furthermore, researchers found individuals from the herd to be in good physical condition and the proportion of adult bulls to be on the rise.

Quebec’s other caribou herd, the George River Herd, ranges more in northeastern Quebec and into Labrador. This herd suffered an unexplained population crash a few years ago and all hunting for this herd has been closed indefinitely while researchers try to determine the cause of the crash and a course of management to bring back these animals. It’s especially perplexing because the Leaf River and George River animals are genetically identical. Managers are wisely erring on the side of caution when it comes to maintaining the Leaf River Herd until it can be determined what happened to the George River animals.

That’s why, last April it was announced beginning in the 2014-15 season, the per hunter limit for caribou in Quebec would be reduced to one. Previously, for decades, Quebec has had a two caribou per hunter limit with no negative impact on herd numbers. The big news last week is the intent to reverse the previous announcement and extend the two-caribou-per-hunter limit through at least the 2014-15 season. This is based on the optimism created by the 2013 study results.

This is welcome news to hunters and outfitters, all of whom view Quebec as the best caribou hunting opportunity in North America these days. In Alaska and across Canada, seasons and limits have been reduced, eliminated or strictly limited by license quotas.

Marc Plourde, President and Director General of the Québec Outfitters Federation, said he was “very satisfied with the Minister’s decision. It shows a real commitment to developing a wildlife management framework based on scientific and biological principles. This decision is the guarantee outfitters need to sell their packages at Québec and international trade shows.”

The Quebec Outfitters Federation will continue to collaborate with the government on the caribou issue, among other things to develop an ongoing management plan in the caribou hunting regulations framework for 2015•2016 and 2016•2017 will be announced as soon as possible in 2014.

24-Feb-14
That's great news. I celebrated by sending in my second installment on this Septembers hunt to Richard and Amanda today.

10-Jul-15

sureshot's Link
If anyone needs a refresher course of Kurt's reviews,here is a link to the thread that he was claiming to be refunding all the hunters out of his own pocket on. His old handle was trophymanager.

10-Jul-15
Not everyone gets to shoot 2 caribou only circumstances dictate to those that shoot 2. Reason why I say this is the year I went with CarGar it was no migration my week in 1993 and I arrowed and beautiful leaf river herd bull. I had shot at a true monster at 60 yards with sticks earlier in the day with wooden arrows and RC. On the way back I was able to get on another bull and arrowed him all spot and stalk. The guide showed me what goes on in the migration and I could not believe what he showed me where they placed hunters for shots. I would have liked to have had seen that. Another time a bull was working my way and I was on the other side of the bush he wanted to eat on he was big and wide but not much up top so I passed on him. If I had taken that bull I could have had my 2nd but elected not to 1 was enough for me.

I'd like to go back but all the issues I have been reading on and hearing about I am a little concerned.

Good luck to you guys take some judos for the ptarmagans you might see.

• Sitka Gear