Bowfreak 11-Dec-13
PeroteHunter 11-Dec-13
Hunt-Big_SC 12-Dec-13
Beendare 12-Dec-13
RLong 12-Dec-13
cvarcher 20-Oct-18
DMTJAGER 28-Oct-18
09-Dec-13
Do any of yall have any advice, or opinions on using fobs instead of blazer vanes? Or vice versa. I have no knowledge of them at all. But I would think that it would either come off as the arrow passes through or just the arrow wouldn't pass through.

09-Dec-13
No crappy Whisker bishit?? That's laughable.

Blazers

09-Dec-13
But how do they fly comparable to blazers?

09-Dec-13
I have shot FOB's since 2006 and taken a lot of animals using them. They fly great, better in crosswind situations than Blazers. They fly exactly the same as Blazers out of all my bows out to 80 yards. The FOB's are better at "steering" large fixed blade heads. But I really have no problems with Blazers in that regard either. I presently shoot BOTH, love my FOB's and Blazers.

09-Dec-13
I looked into this question myself. I took all the information I could find, evaluated it and came to my own conclusion. I think it boils down on personal choice. Bottom line is flight characteristics seem reasonably close providing each is used with a set-up that is good for either choice.

Key things to consider using a fob: No Whisker Biskets Harder to find arrow upon complete pass thru Lighted nock options may be limited or modifications to nock may be necessary.

09-Dec-13
FOBs, they offer no advantage over vanes and plenty of disadvantages. Plenty of threads on these in the archives.

10-Dec-13

Bernie1's embedded Photo
Bernie1's embedded Photo
I’m one of those odd balls that likes FOB’s for the following:

Pros for me:

I have always hated refletching arrows.

I really like that I can just pop them on and off if needed.(Traveling to hunt maybe)

Finding arrows are not a problem if you have a bright wrap...white like mine are.

I think they do give me better accuracy at distance and with broadheads.

Cons for me:

You can’t shoot groups even at 50 yard...not a super big deal.

They look kind of stupid.

On a hunt you can pop off a FOB’s and lose them. On my elk hunt this year I was not paying attention and I lost every FOB off my arrows while riding a devil horse named Lazy Lucky. That’s why I had extras in my pack.

I got my elk.......

10-Dec-13

Bernie1's embedded Photo
Bernie1's embedded Photo
Killed this one with FOB’s

10-Dec-13

Bernie1's embedded Photo
Bernie1's embedded Photo

10-Dec-13

Bernie1's embedded Photo
Bernie1's embedded Photo

10-Dec-13
Are yall shootin them out of a drop away rest? I'm currently shootin the QAD ultra-rest hunter. Wouuld i have to get a bigger arm for more clearence or what? and thos of you that have switched.. why will you or wont you go back to blazer vanes?

10-Dec-13
I’m using a limbdriver Pro V.

10-Dec-13
I inherited a handful from a Bowsiter who tried them and offered them to anyone interested in trying.

I'd pass them along to someone who'd like to try them out.

They are the size for "larger" carbon arrows (not Axis, etc.) and fit Carbon Tech Whitetail as well as any others of that diameter.

I found them to shoot fine (also Limbdriver Pro V rest) but I opted to stick with my Blazer vanes.

Plenty of Pro/Con discussion if you search past threads.

Ultimately it comes down to trying them and seeing what you think.

Shoot me PM if you'd like to try them & I'll pop them in the mail.

Carl

10-Dec-13
I have never had an issue with 4" duravanes or Blazers. So not sure why I would change to something that could fall off my arrows in the field? OR....require me to leave the Whisker Biscuit. :)

10-Dec-13
Beendare, I don't know what your issue is with FOBs, but you always chime in on these threads citing "many disadvantages with FOBs" and when asked what they are, you can't list any that are true.

Please reiterate some of the "many disadvantages" that FOBs have. Have you even ever used them? I've been using them for nearly 3 years and have killed nearly 30 animals with them as well as won many 3D shoots with them. I find it hard to believe that you've ever even used them.

Bottom line, lots of guys use them and love them, myself included. You can't make the decision based on others experience. Get a pack and try them, I think you'll be glad that you did.

To answer your most recent question, Hunt-Big_SC, you have to shoot them out of a drop-away. They have a slightly lower profile than Blazers, so if you can shoot your Blazer equipped arrows with a fletch straight down without contact, you're good to go with FOBs. I use the LimbDriver Pro V as it attaches to the limb instead of cable and I never have to worry about timing issues.

Why I won't go back to Blazer vanes:

1: I always had adhesion issues. It didn't matter how well I cleaned the shafts or wraps, or what kind of fletch glue I used, I had adhesion issues. Either it would pull off too easily or the fletch glue that was strong enough was too brittle and it would break. Either way, I was losing vanes too often.

2: I hate creased or kinked vanes. I hated getting to a hunt or 3D shoot and finding out half my arrows had a creased or kinked vane, or had a vane torn off. No longer an issue with FOBs. Transport bare shafts, pop the FOBs on when you get there.

3: Much less time spent fletching. I can "fletch" a dozen arrows in less than a minute if necessary.

4: Easier passthroughs. Admittedly, if you have enough arrow in the animal to pop the FOB off, a passthrough isn't going to provide much more penetration, but I like being able to find my arrow on the other side of the animal. There's no vanes to hang up on the hide and it's just a slick, bare shaft slipping through.

5: They mark where the animal was standing. I know guys that get so worked up after a shot that they can't even remember where the animal was standing when it was shot. The FOBs popping off show, usually exactly, where the animal was standing, or at the least the immediate area.

6: They're better at steering fixed blades, particularly in crosswinds, in part because they start the arrow spinning faster, so they say. I can't prove that the arrow starts spinning earlier, but I will say that they do steer fixed blades better, even at very long yardages (90 yards on the practice range is the furthest I've tried).

7: More consistent than Blazers, or any vane. The vane itself isn't the issue, but I've seen some pretty sloppy fletch jobs, and that has to affect the flight somewhat, even if it's a minuscule amount.

Let me know if you have any other questions.

10-Dec-13
Ok I'll play dumbass here.....What's a FOB.....show me a picture?????

10-Dec-13

MBMule's embedded Photo
MBMule's embedded Photo
Here's a FOB. It slides over the end of the arrow then the nock holds it in place from behind.

10-Dec-13
In my limited time playing with them, the only real CONS I came across are:

- They can get cracked relatively easily when hit by another arrow: don't aim at the same circle.

- Depending on your quiver, the FOBs may not clear each other, as each arrow is fully enclosed by a circle: you can't stagger the alignment like with vanes.

- That first shot can be a little stressful, as you have to KNOW that your dropaway is clearing: but after that first shot I never thought about it again LOL.

I like the concept, just ultimately didn't decide that they offered enough benefit over Blazers FOR ME.

I'm going to let Hunt-Big try them out and decide for himself.

Carl

10-Dec-13
Like Rlong I shoot a Whisker Biscuit and feel the many advantages I get from it(WB) FAR outweigh any I could possibly get from the FOBs. IMHO!

Plus, I don;t think I could ever get used to shooting an arrow that looked like that! (with a FOB on it) "Not that there's anything wrong with it!" ;-)

10-Dec-13
Rut Nut, is that a Seinfeld reference?!

Just curious what advantages the Whisker Biscuit has over a full containment rest like the Limb Driver Pro V or similar rest?

10-Dec-13
Very good MBMule! :)

Ease of use and tuning/adjustment, and simplicity.

10-Dec-13
Hmmmm....that's an entirely different topic, but....

No moving parts to fail. No chords to catch brush. No need to add cushioning or silencing to launchers. Holds the arrow better than any other, not just "captured" for safety. Can replace a biscuit if need be with virtually zero affect on tune (though I have yet to need to do so in 4yrs). Zero noise on release (not so with most dropaways). Not as susceptable to even extreme bow cant. I can lay the bow down in front of me when calling or adjusting gear, with no concern for my nocked arrow.....it's a long list.

Not saying the Whisker Biscuit is for everybody....or that many other rests aren't used successfully by countless bowhunters. But I don't see another rest better suited for hunting. And their benefits are far more useful than anything I would get from FOB's to drop it. :)

10-Dec-13
Barnie 1 - GREAT animals! If FOBs could guarntee me that I would even SEE animals like those, I'd use them too!!! Great animals, congratulations.....

Issues with fletching - simply use Blazers with shrink fletch. I own two fletching jigs and haven't used them in 3 years and likely never will, except for feathers.... The NAP shrink fletch are more brittle and come off or get damaged much, much easier than the Blazer version in my experience.

>>>>---------->

10-Dec-13
CurveBow- They do, and it’s guaranteed! The gold certification card comes right in the package.....HAHA!

Thanks! Those are my best over the last few years. I just wanted to show I've been using them for 5 years now in some extreme conditions and I've done well with them.

10-Dec-13
I hate to say it(no, not really ;-), but I agree with everything Ralph just posted about the WB! :)

10-Dec-13
Other than the cords catching on brush (but cables do the same thing) and moving parts, the LimbDriver Pro V pretty much eliminates the rest of the problems with other drop away rests. Not for everybody though, same as the FOBs.

I would encourage the OP to try them and make his own decision based on his setup and preference.

10-Dec-13
That's OK Rut...it too will pass. LOL

10-Dec-13
LOL Ralph! :)

MBMule- I would agree with that, too.

11-Dec-13
For those that use FOBs with lumenoks, does it break the receptors on the nock? Or is it fine?

11-Dec-13
I will be honest...preparing arrows is part of the hunt fir me. It is part of the buildup to actually hunting. I wouldn't get that with FOBs. Other than that I think they look stupid. Lol. All joking aside.....I would never consider them because I like to fletch arrows.

11-Dec-13
I have been using FOBs for about five years now, and other than not being able to target shoot at the same spot, I have had no issues. I shoot a New Breed Lycan and Nemesis, with QAD Ultrarest Pro HD. I tried to put a Lumenok on there but the lumenok wouldn't work - I didn't fool with it much after that but I am sure you could rig it to work. I like the aspect of the FOB and nock popping off as it passes through the animal so that I can mark a starting point if I cannot see the animal dead from where I shot him.

I have often been concerned about mechanical failure from the drop away, the FOB setup and mechanical broadhead - so I have an identical New Breed Nemesis that I take as a backup with a WB, Blazers and Slick Tricks - I like hunting with both setups.

12-Dec-13
To Bowfreak: your the first person I have ever met or even talked to that says they like fletching! but I'm all for whatever will bring my groups a tight in the center as possible. But thank you all very much for yall responses and advice. Ill let yall know how they shoot for me.

12-Dec-13
They do shoot well, so if a guy doesn't want to fletch- its a simple easy solution, I 'll say that for them.

Personally, I style ALL of my equipment so I don't have to think about equipment issues and can just concentrate on making the shot. Last thing I want is to be sneaking on an elk and have to check to see if my FOB is still there [that sounded a bit sexual, eh?]

My advice to many new archers- setup your equipment to be as bulletproof as possible- if a guy thinks thats FOB's- then OK.

12-Dec-13
I love building my own arrows. Spent years building custom cedars, always built my own XX75's, and same now with carbons although it is much simpler now. There was a time when your arrow was a sign of the archer. His own personal crest meant something. Still does to me. :)

20-Oct-18
well if the best groups are splitting arrows and feathers have done that for years , I don't see why I should change. People say feathers aren't durable -I frankly don't buy that .I shoot 5 days a week and mine last for several years. Even with slight damage they still stabilize. Wet or dry feathers still worked for thousands of years. I think some people just like to be different or more in love with high tech stuff to make it easier than the true spirit of archery.

28-Oct-18
IMHO FOBs are a great idea, and I gave a test pack a try, BUT after using the same anchor points unchanged for over 25 years I was not willing to change to be able to use the FOBs. Didn't occur to me I'd have to change my anchor point when I ordered them, otherwise I never would've bothered.

• Sitka Gear