12yards 19-Aug-19
GLP 19-Aug-19
Newhunter1 19-Aug-19
midwest 19-Aug-19
Grubby 19-Aug-19
BIG BEAR 19-Aug-19
timex 19-Aug-19
05-Jan-14
One of the areas I hunt is all old growth pine and oak. The trees are far too large for my Summit Viper.

I found the perfect spot at the intersection of 2 game paths by a creek crossing, but the smallest pine is 4-5 feet in diameter.

The oaks are 6+ feet in diameter, many are 8 feet. I found an oak on the creek that opens into 3 boughs with a "crow's nest" in the center that I could fit a stool in and it's about 15 feet up and also need to figure out how to get up that tree as it is about 8 feet in diameter and doesn't have any low branches. I figured this tree's bark is 4 inches thick. I was thinking of tossing a rope through and over and hoisting a rope ladder. Bad idea?

All the tree stands I've researched don't come close to being able to put on a 4 to 6 foot diameter tree.

If I do a hang on, I'm also going to need a way to climb this tree. Most of the ladder systems I'm looking at don't come close to 4-6 feet either.

05-Jan-14
In those scenarios I have used a ladder stand and simply use two straps (ratchet or similar) hooked together. You will have to fish it around the tree, but it works fine.

05-Jan-14
Have similar trees, Use ladder, extension works, Ladder steps with 12 foot strap on binders. Stand? Chain on with extension chain that works for us. We have White Oaks and White pines that big and bigger. Build a ladder with screws and liquid nails.

05-Jan-14
Tripod stand up against the tree.

05-Jan-14
Put a longer chain on a lock on stand to handle the extra circumference and use a climbing stick with longer straps to handle the tree circumference. Place stand on desired sit of stand and you had help to break up movement pattern and eliminate skylining while on stand.

05-Jan-14
I am 6' 3" 300 lbs. Trees this big, being skylined and movement is not an issue. The tree envelopes your image. Get up there. To get binders around it helps to have a partner with you.

05-Jan-14
Lots of big cottonwood trees in our area. Ladder stands with 2 of the 15' long 1" straps or 1 of the 2" ratchet straps work great. Most of the stands come with 6' straps which are too short usually.

06-Jan-14
Thanx for the ideas. I'm gonna look into trying a ladder stand with ratchet straps. Outta be fun getting those around the tree.

06-Jan-14
The ladder stand with extra long ratchet straps sounds like the way to go. You'll probably need some help too with getting the straps around the tree. You'll get it figured out.

06-Jan-14
A little hint for getting straps around the tree for you. When putting stands up you will probably have a pole saw or something with you for trimming. We usually hook the loop of the strap on the end of the saw fully extended and bring it around the tree. Have also used a short piece of rope with something tied to it and swing it around the tree. Then just tie the end to your strap and pull it around.

06-Jan-14
"Have also used a short piece of rope with something tied to it and swing it around the tree. Then just tie the end to your strap and pull it around."

This is a great way to loose you balance trying to catch the swinging rope and fall out of a tree stand. Experience talking here. Fell 18 ft and broke leg. Won't ever forget that stupid stunt !!! Thankful I am not a tree stand death statistic.

06-Jan-14
The particular pine I'm thinking of has zero branches, not even a dead branch, for the first 25 feet.

I'm thinking it'll be a 2 man job. It'll be a walk out there, but if my dad came and we carried an extension ladder out, he could be on the other side of the tree from me.

I was thinking the same thing, that trying to whip the strap around the tree would probably end up with me at the bottom of the tree.

07-Jan-14
x2 above post, as painters w ext ladders this is how my dad and I have always done this. 2 person job, and it's more fun. Also, painters may be a good source for a bent ladder. Often times a 32 or 40 has gotten away from someone and is bent causing it to not slide properly. We take these apart and then have 2 sections 16-20ft long for 2 new stands. Spray paint a dull color and even lay it down and lock to base of tree when not in use. Lasts for years.

18-Aug-19
Use a coat hanger to reach around tree or get a 20 ft piece of paracord with weight on end. Tie paracord to one side and drop cord down. Step down grab the paracord and wrap around base of tree then walk the cord up the stand or sticks. Next tie your strap to one end of paracord and pull around the tree.

18-Aug-19
Screaming eagle... you can add as much chain as you need with a threaded chain link

18-Aug-19

JTV's embedded Photo
a very large Oak I hunt out of .... over 30" in Dia.
JTV's embedded Photo
a very large Oak I hunt out of .... over 30" in Dia.
I go up Oaks and Cottonwoods over 30" in diameter, some huge tree's .. I use 4 LW sticks with the rope mods and the LW Alpha II using extensions they make for the stand straps ... be cautious with wide tree's, as they are hard to get the ropes around and grab as you are trying to do so ... I even extended my Lineman belt length this season for those larger trees, I use a 11mm climbers rope and a Ropeman 1 Ascender ... the rope length on the sticks are 10 ft for the lower two sticks and 8 ft for the upper two sticks.. I dip the ends with grey rubber dip of the longer ropes to ID them .. I go up trees others will never get into, esp. with climbers and it opened up waaaay more locations I can hunt ......

19-Aug-19
Look into a tree saddle. I’m just diving into them but so far they seem ideal in many situations including this one.

19-Aug-19
I was going to toss out the saddle idea, but Grubby beat me. You still have the question of what to use to climb those behemoths, but you can use climbing rope to make as long a lineman's strap or what not as needed... so that may be an option. If not, then using longer straps seems your only choice... though the rope ladder is a novel idea on that one as well...

19-Aug-19
I made a large conduit “Shepard’s Crook” (a big "C" actually) to reach around large trees like that.Drill a hole in the end to stick the rachet hook through,so easy without risking life and limb

19-Aug-19
This one would have a clear solution for me-- ladder stand. I'd have a buddy/son help me put it up because getting a strap around a huge tree like that is almost impossible by myself. I use our extending pole saw and connect the ratchet strap hook to it and have my son walk around the tree to get it around to me. Works well for us and we've put them on some huge oak and cottonwood trees.

19-Aug-19
Also, a lot of guys are switching their climbing sticks over from straps to climbing ropes for tree attachment. Great system that allows any length of rope.

19-Aug-19
There are some mighty big trees out there that is for sure .

di·am·e·ter 1. a straight line passing from side to side through the center of a body or figure, especially a circle or sphere. 2. a unit of linear measurement

cir·cum·fer·ence /s?r?k?mf(?)r?ns/ circumferences the enclosing boundary of a curved geometric figure, especially a circle. synonyms: perimeter, the distance around something.

19-Aug-19

12yards's embedded Photo
12yards's embedded Photo
This stand hangs on a pin. If you can use screw in steps and get up, this stand will work. The only limitation would be if the bark is so thick the threaded part of the pin doesn't anchor into good wood.

19-Aug-19
TV tower works great for getting up those big trees

19-Aug-19
I'm a saddle hunter...and I have several trees that I am setting up. One is off the mississippi river overlooking a huge clear cut. Easily 6 foot in diameter. I put a small rope 25 foot on a branch and will use a 75' rope. I use the DRT (double rope method) and set up in those trees. That's about the only way I see to set up in those huge trees...or the SRT method. Look onto Saddlehunting.com for those methods.

19-Aug-19
I wonder what Ike ended up doing since he posted this 5-1/2 years ago?

19-Aug-19
Lol.....it’s funny when these pop up.

19-Aug-19
That tree might be 10 feet in diameter by now.........

19-Aug-19
lone wolf did offer an extra long strap for oversized trees. not sure if it's still available ?

• Sitka Gear