bigeasygator 17-Jul-15
Aubs8 17-Jul-15
Garymc 20-Jul-15
cityhunter 20-Jul-15
razorsharp 19-Aug-15
Medicinemann 19-Aug-15
TREESTANDWOLF 19-Aug-15
28-Jan-14
When I spoke with Richard yesterday, then Amanda today, both are exactly as I expected after speaking and messaging many Bowsiters before booking this hunt.

I'm locked in for the second hunt week in September and the excitement of my first time that far north for a hunt is truly something to look forward to.

I just wanted to put it out there as a thank you to all who responded to my questions.

If any one is in camp that week, feel free to contact me.

28-Jan-14
TSW... ...3rd through the 9th..?....Rory and I - and hopefully Pete, will be there then....it is an amazing country...and like I've said before, Richard and Amanda the best.... ...are you close enough to make the Minnesota show in March..?...maybe we'll see you then.....

28-Jan-14
Get Insurance !!

28-Jan-14
Dave, yes, 3rd to the 9th, good to know!

I'm out on Long Island, NY.

I'm hoping to run out to Harrisburg to stop and see them, but my busy season is getting ready to start, therefore, generate the funds!

28-Jan-14
Treestandwolf, Did you get the message I sent you the other day? See we will be up there at the same time so maybe we can share a camp. Rory

28-Jan-14
Yes, sure did Rory, thank you for all the information.

Shaping up to be a Bowsite camp that week.

28-Jan-14
...ahgghhh.....TSW...I must have tundra on my mind - I thought I read 2015 in your post....I'm guessing you booked for this season? ...I had originally booked again for this year, but had to change that to 2015 instead. ....I know Rory's going this year from the 3rd through the 9th. You'll like hunting with him - good guy. Have a great hunt. The tundra is an amazing place. Touch base with Rory on gear and what to expect. He's been there a few times.............

28-Jan-14
Dave, I'm booked 2015, next year.

I'm definitely contacting Rory as he's been there a few times.

28-Jan-14
...I'm sure we'll be touching base........

28-Jan-14
We have a group of 6 heading up the 3rd - 9th as well. We're doing the 6x1 DIY hunt. Should be awesome! Last caribou I need for my bou slam!

28-Jan-14
...Saint...2015 as well?

29-Jan-14
Dave, Will be up there for two weeks this year. Richard said he will take me any place I want to go the first week. Can't wait to get up there and start fishing. Once the tundra country got to me, one week is just not enough. It keeps pulling me back every year. Looks like I will be driving up alone again since my other partner apparently isn't coming this year. That's OK. The long drive alone gives me a chance to clear my mind and relax. Will be meeting two guy's in Montreal that live near me. Trip number 14 with JHA this year!!! Rory

29-Jan-14
This trip is in my near future. Sounds like an amazing hunt. Best of luck!

29-Jan-14
Come on Nick, Richard has a few opening that week in 2015 :)

15-Feb-14
What is the closest town to where you hunt with JHA that we can watch weather on the internet?

15-Feb-14
Probably Schefferville. Hard to plan for the weather up there since it changes several times a day. Last year was absolutely brutal when I was there. Wind, rain, sleet, snow, cold. Don't plan a very tight schedule when you go, got weathered in the last two years so we could not fly out for a day or two. Bring GOOD rain gear and warm clothes. Very hard to make the weight limit when you have to plan for all sorts of weather. Rory

16-Feb-14
....and...the wind...Rory will agree its cutting at times...bring a couple pair of sunglasses and some chapstick....wouldn't hurt to have a balaclava / facemask in your daypack.

21-Feb-14
Schefferville and/or Kuujjuaq are the two closest towns that you might be able to get weather information for.

Flying my float plane from Lac Pau to our camps I often hit a pretty good assortment of weather. Could be beautiful with glassy water at Lac Pau but fogged in or blowing a storm at the camp. Rory is correct in stating that the weather changes quite often. Boubound, I would imagine you are prepared for that though having hunted up in northern Quebec on more than one occasion.

My advise would be to avoid hunting the week that Rory will be up north as he is known for bringing some nasty weather with him from MN! Last year while he was up we had some of the worst weather I have experienced in over 30 years of being up north.

Rory went home and we actually experienced and Indian summer! We will see how it works out this year as Rory is joining us for a two week period. I am really hoping that won't mean two weeks of bad weather!!lol

You just never know what to expect and more often than not the weather that is forecasted for Schefferville and/or Kuujjuaq is quite often far from being what we actually end up experiencing at our camps or in Lac Pau. Seems like the weather patterns are extremely hard to predict in our area for some reason. I simply take it day by day and rarely pay much attention to the forecasted weather. Otherwise I'd be spending more time at the dock and less time in the air! "Go with the flow" is an expression most commonly used in our neck of the woods! It has always worked out for me. Can't wait to get back up there and see you guys again!

Richard

22-Feb-14
Richard, Been thinking of changing my name to "Hurricane" after the weather I've had up there the last few years. It can really get miserable at times. But it is all a part of the overall adventure. I actually don't mind getting weathered in for a few days. It adds to the vacation. That's why I drive to Montreal and don't have to worry about airline connections and hotels. I always thought the bad weather was Amandas fault but maybe it is me!! Maybe I should stop coming so other hunters can enjoy the beautiful Quebec weather. 90 degrees in Montreal and 20 degrees in camp with a 40 mph wind. Love it. Rory

23-Feb-14
It would not be the same if you stopped coming Rory...We can take a couple of days of bad weather even if it is your fault! We still want to see you!

All jokes aside, we truly look forward to seeing you each year.

There is probably nobody in North America who has hunted caribou as many consecutive years in a row as you have.

Rather than name a lake after you I probably should have offered you shares in Jack Hume Adventures!

We do truly appreciate your business Rory "almost as much as we honour your friendship".

Richard

23-Feb-14
You are going with the best. Have a good trip.

TBB

24-Feb-14
Good Lord willing, I'll be there in 2015 as well.

25-Feb-14
Thank you for the kind words Richard. I really value yours and Amandas friendship. You have always gone over and above what most people would do to make their clients happy. You have done a lot of favors for me and my hunting partners and I really appreciate that. I know of no other outfitter that would do the things that you have done for me/us. I plan to continue to hunt with you and Amanda for as long as I can. Thanks again for all the memories and "ADVENTURES". See you in Minneapolis. Rory

29-Sep-14
You 2015 guys are in for a treat!

30-Nov-14
For those that book, do you typically go unguided, semi-guided, or fully guided? Thanks!

30-Nov-14
First bou hunt I booked was a 1x6 unguided with 1 guide/camp manager in camp. Second bou hunt was a 1x3. Basically he ran the boat, dropped us off at crossings, then helped with skinning and packing the animal back to the boat. Did very well both hunts. I guess it all depends on how much you want to do on your own. Hopefully I can make it back to JHA in the next few years on one of the outpost hunts!

I've only been up there twice but if you have any specific questions feel free to PM me.

James

16-Jul-15
Withthe hunts starting within about a month maybe we can use this thread to report back on how things go in JHA camps this fall. I wish I I was going back, but will have to wait until 2017 (but at least I am booked for then and will be taking my son!)

16-Jul-15
are u bowhunting or gun ?

17-Jul-15
Just a quick update: We have arrived a week ago up at our float plane base in Lac Pau. Base is now open and satellite communications are up and going.

I flew in three of our guides (Bob, Wilson and Karl) to Luco Camp #9 to rebuild that camp.

Never seen any caribou as it is still far too early for them to have migrated that far south but did fly over a bunch of camps and as luck would have it most have been hit hard by bears. Fortunately the docks aren't in as bad of shape as they were last season but just fixing all the bear damage will keep us busy!

It has been a very wet start to the season and the bugs are a bit worst than normal. Normally they would slowly die off once we get a few days in a row of dry cool weather but that has not happened as of yet so to be on the safe side anyone booked to hunt with us on an early season hunt had better come prepared!

With the caribou tending to migrate further west at the end of the season (towards Lake Minto), I plan on getting one of Luco's former camps "Chapron" back in business this year and have a 2nd work crew arriving the first week of August to help out with that project.

I will try to post pictures and keep you all in the loop of what I see from the air and what our guides see at the camps as time goes on. I would not expect any caribou sightings (even to the far north at Arctic Adventures Camps) until the middle of August.

Looking forward to seeing many of you again this year and you can rest assured that when you book a hunt with JHA your going to get your hunt...your money is safe with Jack Hume Adventures. We are here for the long run! We have been doing this for over 30 years, we have survived 2 recessions, an Indian Barricade, a complete closure of the George River Herd forcing us to close down Schefferville and move our base of operations to Lac Pau and throughout all of this we still managed to take over many of our competitors camps and assets. After all of that we are not only still in business but we are stronger than ever. It is what we do... We love it as it is our passion and we thrive to do the best we can at it. We certainly don't plan on stopping any time soon. Don't let the fact that we come from Quebec be a fear factor!

I feel confident in saying that our reputation is 2nd to none in this industry and we plan on keeping it that way for some time to come!! :)

See you in the north!

Richard Hume

17-Jul-15
Richard,

Did Wilson used to work for Leaf River? I think my parents had him as their guide several years ago and they were very complimentary if it was the same guy.

17-Jul-15
Is Quebec still a 2 caribou limit? I heard that was going to change

17-Jul-15
Yes, still 2 caribou for 2015. I don't believe the limit for 2016 has been determined. The George River herd can not be hunted. The Leaf River Herd has an estimated 380,000 to 400,000.

Mike

17-Jul-15

Aubs8's Link
I always like looking at the attached link with a map showing where the collared caribou are hanging-out.

Take care. Mike

17-Jul-15
Cant wait to see you guys up north! Should be up from the 11th to the 27th.

17-Jul-15
Anybody hunting the first week? August 22-28?? I'll be up there then...can't wait! Only a month to go!

17-Jul-15
My daughter, me and 2 friends are driving up and hunting the August 20th-26th. In 2007, we hunted the 15th - 21st. It is going to be a great time!

Mike

20-Jul-15
I'll be there 9/3-9/9. I can't wait

20-Jul-15
good luck to all be safe !

19-Aug-15
I hunted the North slope in Alaska earlier this month. If I do another Caribou hunt it will likely be with JHA!

19-Aug-15
Aubs8,

It was interesting to view ALL of the weekly telemetry photos of the caribou herds (from January to August). The most recent photo suggests that they have starting moving to the south....towards the hunting camps. Cool stuff.

19-Aug-15
Thx for the link Aubs8, Good luck up there, heading up in September !

• Sitka Gear