butcherboy 27-Aug-17
bigeasygator 27-Aug-17
ELKMAN 27-Aug-17
WV Mountaineer 27-Aug-17
rooster 28-Aug-17
JohnB 28-Aug-17
carcus 29-Aug-17
16-Apr-14
In 2010 I met Mike Ellig owner of Montana Black Gold at their plant in Belgrade, MT. All parts for their Bow Sights are manufactured and assembled right there. I met all the employees during a tour of the factory and their pride and enthusiasm was intense.

MBG along with Ripcord Arrow Rests and Tightspot Quivers have long been Bowsite sponsors and share the "Montana" Heritage for quality. All three companies are known for rock solid products and quality service.

The new line of Bow Sights for 2014 is called the "Pure 75 Series" and there are four models. The Gold, Adrenaline, Driven and Energy.

I got the "Driven" which is their single pin option. I shoot only a single pin sight now.

16-Apr-14

Charlie Rehor's MOBILE embedded Photo

The first innovation is a new 7075 Aluminum Alloy which is much stronger and lighter than the 6061 Alloy which is used on most other sights. The brightness of the pins is still as obvious as ever. There are new Adjustability features which include an 8 click per inch horizontal/vertical micro-adjust. 3rd axis adjustability is standard and there is a "Zero-out" design which means the sight heads are on vertical dovetails so you can zero them out at the top range. This allows you to put your sight at a default distance of choice without having to look.

16-Apr-14

My favorite new feature is the sight tape which is now set at an angle so you can see it much easier from the normal shooting position. Exclusive, low friction dry coating eliminates the need for oil/grease in the vertical drive which can attract dust/dirt and lead to a clogged mechanism.

Comes with 54 different sight tapes for most any speed bow.

Over sized level is easier to locate and see.

Fluorescent sight rings for easy peep line-up.

optional 2x or 4x power lens

The best guarantee in the business: "If the original owner has a part break for any reason it will be repaired or replaced at no charge".

Conclusion: These new Pure Sights are built with the highest quality and latest innovation. They are high end sights but worth the money. Please note in their catalog they have MANY options at VARIOUS price points that start at $100 bucks. You can also customize your sight at their "custom Shop on the website.

16-Apr-14

Here is a picture of Mike Ellig the owner of MBG with a nice Rio he got in Texas two weeks ago. He also walks the walk!!

"Montana Black Gold" American quality, built with pride!

16-Apr-14
Thanks for the equipment review Charlie.

I'm a big fan of MBG sights as well. Ordered a custom Surge with dovetail last week.

Customer service is second to none. Last year I accidentally melted some pin and sent the sight back for repair along with my credit card info.

Sight was received a week or so later all repaired, with extra parts and no charges.

16-Apr-14
Some of the best folks to deal with. Great customer service. Sure are #1 in my book.

16-Apr-14
I just got my new pure gold 5pin slider and its quite nice! Im very impressed and figure ill shoot this site for years to come. I love how everything including the pins are micro adjustable and the rear facing tape. Solid site!

16-Apr-14
I love my Ascent Ambush! Maybe I should upgrade to the Driven sight. I really like the single pin moveable sights as well.

16-Apr-14
No complaints from me on the MBG products I have used. Good review Charlie! Haven't upgraded to the Pure line yet, but may have to in the future.

Thanks, Matt

16-Apr-14
I want one but almost$400!!? DANG!

16-Apr-14
otcWill: Mine was $275. You must have added a hole lot of extras:)

16-Apr-14
Hard to beat MBG sites.

16-Apr-14
Another vote for MBG and good as it gets customer service.

16-Apr-14
Waiting on my Pure Gold 75 5 pin slide-- should be delivered any day now---custom ordered 2 green 1 amber 2 green--I was hoping delivery before my Nilgai hunt last week but didn't make it--can't wait to receive it--

16-Apr-14
Got MBG on both my compounds !

16-Apr-14
My ascent ambush is the best sight I have ever owned. Rock Solid.

17-Apr-14
Last black gold sight I owned was a redzone, the big thing I didn't like about it was the fiber optic was was exposed, it got pulled out a couple of times elk hunting 2 years ago, sold it when I got back and bought a axcel armortech. I would only buy a sight now that the fiber optic goes through the sight pin body, not sure if the new black gold sights are like this?

All that said, I should mention I do hunt the thickest, nastiest bush for elk, I've lost arrows, knives, almost a GPS, if it weren't for my elk hunting area I would still have the redzone

17-Apr-14
Love MBG. Mike

17-Apr-14
What's the purpose of a multipin slider sight? As distance and trajectory change so does the distance between the pins. Is the slider only so you can use the top pin?

17-Apr-14
You use the bottom pin as the slider. Say first four pins, 20, 30, 40, 50. Last pin sighted in at 60, but you can slide it to as far as you want.

17-Apr-14
You can actually use any pin as the slider. I have always used the top pin for my slider, but it is whatever pin you prefer. You just need to have the pin you choose set as your 'zero' on your dial so all your other pins are correct. Once you move the housing only the pin designated as your slider will be accurate with the tape.

Purpose is to be able to dial in at longer ranges...or any range for that matter. I would rather have a pin that is dead on at 54 yards then have to gap pins if time allows.

Matt

17-Apr-14
Just before I went on my hunt to SA last year I noticed the plastic cover that protects the fibers had cracked in half. MBG sent out a replacement at no charge,in time for the hunt. Great Customer Service. Thanks MBG.

26-Aug-17
I just upgraded to a pure adrenaline 75 sight (3) pin. Wow, what a nice sight. It will be nice to have the 40 yard pin as a slider. Easy to adjust. A bit spendy but you get what you pay for The react pro sight I had was junk.

27-Aug-17
I've owned black gold sights only thing I don't like is that the fiber optic isn't 100% protected along the sight pin, I had them fiber pull out while elk hunting, more than once,what you can do is smear some automotive silicone on the open part to secure the fiber

27-Aug-17
Thanks Carcus, that's a great idea.

27-Aug-17
I'm being serious here. Not knocking anyone. Just curious.

I just swapped my 5 pin sight system made by truglo to a guy for a single pin sight system he had, made by truglo. I have shot this sight for the last three weeks and, other than forgetting to slide the slider from 40 to 20 one time and, shooting over my 3 D target, it has done great for me. No massive blurring of the pins due to all the clutter. I even was able to take my verifier out, clearing up my target. I'm shooting it very well. I had the carbon XP 5 pin sight from Truglo. I don't know the name of this one but, it is a bit older I'm sure. Seems bullet proof too.

What I'm asking is, am I too inexperienced with a one pin system to simply not know the inherent value a BG sight offers over a cheap Truglo. Have I simply missed the value they offer over a more affordable sight? Is the BG bullet proof? Indestructible? Are their pins that much better?

I'm being serious. Not knocking anyone's choices. I am by nature a tight wad but, I will buy top dollar gear if it offers a distinct advantage. I'm just wandering if I missed the boat here being as a $400 sight is nearly what I paid for my new compound bow. And, the Truglo one seems to be working so well. God Bless

27-Aug-17
Which MBG sight is 400.00? My Ascent was under 200.

27-Aug-17
MSRP on the MBG Pure Driven (single pin) is $307.95. Bought mine on sale last month for $199.00. Jury is still out regarding the switch to a one pin slider for hunting....but I'm liking it so far... on the target range. Definitely the highest quality sight I've ever owned.

27-Aug-17
Not necessary at all to buy top of the line, Justin. MBG is a great sight with great customer service and you can have a custom sight built to your specifications. Lots of options!

That said, a sight is just a tool like every other accessory you put on your bow and as long as you're happy with it, that's certainly good enough.

27-Aug-17
I added some custom things to my Ascent Verdict and it came to about $250.00. I really like a single pin slider and I have been shooting with a single fixed pin for 25 + years. Usually higher end sights have some extras on them that the cheaper sights don't have and are also a lot stronger with better warranty's.

For hunting, don't move your sight for anything under a predetermined set distance. For example, I set mine at 35 yards and don't move it until I get past 40. For elk, I just aim right in the lower half. If it's closer I only hit 3-4 inches high which is still in the middle of the lungs. Farther, I hit a few inches low which is still in the lower lungs and heart. For target practice I usually don't move it either until I get past 40.

27-Aug-17
The MBG Pure series can run over $400, sticksender.

Having shot other bowsights in the past, to me the MBG (and Spot Hogg for that matter) are worth it. They're just constructed to a different standard IMO. The Pure sight, for example, is made from billet aluminum. They have more adjustability with the dovetail, 2nd and 3rd axis adjustments, gang adjustments for the housing, and individual pin adjustments that I haven't seen in other sights. The biggest benefit is that they are damn near bombproof, especially when compared to other sights on the market.

If your hunting consists of sitting in a tree stand they don't have as much value. But for those whose hunting locations require float planes, horseback, or long backpack hikes, the extra money is well worth it imo.

27-Aug-17
MBG are all really good guys, and I have been shooting their sights for the two years after shooting the Axcel Armortech stuff for the previous 6 or 7 seasons and to be honest the Black Gold stuff is simple and durable, but just doesn't compare to the Axcel when it comes to precision, and build quality. JMO

27-Aug-17
One of the biggest reasons i asked the question was the limited times I have been west to Colorado to hunt elk, I have witnessed what oak brush does to a bow and arrow. First hand experience as well as partners. But, I see above where it appears that the fiber optic setup of these sights wouldn't be impervious to it either. Because, I have no intention of every looking down at my bow after setting a wallow for 5 hours, to see something broken on it ever again.

You could tear up an anvil if you try hard enough but, we all need gear that will withstand what we do or, plan on doing. In order for me to suggest they offer an advantage or over a bargin priced, adequate sight, there had better be one or twelve advantages attached to a sight costing this much more money. Without having first hand experience to suggest any way or the other, I just wanted to hear what people who had bought them thought. God Bless

28-Aug-17
bigeasygatorX2, I'm of the same opinion as he. I shoot a Spot-Hogg sight and believe that they and the MBG sites are just designed and made better from better materials. Both have excellent customer service as well.

28-Aug-17
I have a MBG Pure on my Switchback, my primary bow; and a Truglow on my Switchback XT backup bow; the MBG is a better sight but they both have killed critters

29-Aug-17
Elkman X2

• Sitka Gear