IdyllwildArcher 20-Sep-18
Elkman27 22-Sep-18
Elkman27 22-Sep-18
THead1371 22-Sep-18
jdbbowhunter 22-Sep-18
jdbbowhunter 22-Sep-18
Elkman27 23-Sep-18
02-May-14
Hey guys, me and my dad are in the process of planning an archery elk hunt in unit 62 from sept 12-30 and looking for any info/tips from anyone who has had experience with this unit. Not looking for anyone to give away their honey holes or anything, just looking for general info on what we can expect. Any info is appreciated.

02-May-14

ELKDIY's embedded Photo
ELKDIY's embedded Photo
I asked the same question 5 years ago. Of course you will not find a hunter who will give up their hole. The responses I received were mixed. Some will tell you to hunt opening weekend and others the last week. Elk can be found either week. We put in the time and make a few spotting trips out. Got to know the area and it paid off. IMO- based off of hunting the unit throughout the month your best time would be just prior to the muzzleloader hunt. If you are archery hunting the dates you have selected are smack in the middle of the muzzleloader hunt. Not that you will not see elk during that time. They do get pressured much more during that time. Our success has come from hunting the unit from 9/5 - 9/15 roughly. Are you willing to pack in? Get off the road some? Have you hunted archery elk in the rockies? Send me a PM. Happy to help.

02-May-14
Elkdiy- I sent you a pm

02-May-14
I think there is a reason its one of the most crowded OTC units. Its a great area, beautiful aspen stands, elk, great camping spots, and relatively accessible. Maybe I'll hunt there this year as well!

02-May-14
The reason it's crowded is becuase it's right next to a huge trophy unit. Hunt right along the divide road on opening week before the elk get pressured into places you either can't go (the draw unit) or won't want to go (the scrub).

Personally, I prefer to pursue my elk in more alpine surrounds...but have killed elk there.

02-May-14
Lots of bulls in 61. But not a trophy unit. Not many over 340 come out of that unit. It would be a great unit to archery hunt though. Straight is right. The elk will move. IMO they don't necessarily move into 61. They tend to shut up and move down into the hell holes and scrub oak.

03-May-14
Hunted there in '99, so take this for what it's worth: Get out there every day, all day, and try not to blow the occasional opportunities like I did (sigh!). And just enjoy being in the woods, wild and free!

Things did get more crowded once ML season started, but nothing that made me want to leave.

13-May-14
you can expect alot of hunters, and if you want to find the elk find the nasty places no one else wants to go to. if your interested in places to go pm me as i live there and hunt that unit

13-May-14
elkaholic....sent you a PM

20-Sep-18
Elkaholic, are you still in the area? Still on Bowsite? If so, I’d like to pick your brain on 62. Headed there and would appreciate any intel.

20-Sep-18
I don't think I've seen elkaholic post in a year or two.

22-Sep-18
Thanks IdyllwildArcher, thanks for the reply! I hunted the unit today. I’d mapped out a few areas to possibly hit and didn’t get to execute the plan. The upper area is largely shut down due to the large fire that’s seen a resurgence. The ranger we spoke to today said about 33,000 acres (in 61 mostly) had burned to date (since july) and they are desperately trying to keep it from jumping Divide Road. The area is saturated with smoke. Good that it helps mask human scent I suppose. But, i’d rather see beautiful scenery.

22-Sep-18
Thanks IdyllwildArcher, thanks for the reply! I hunted the unit today. I’d mapped out a few areas to possibly hit and didn’t get to execute the plan. The upper area is largely shut down due to the large fire that’s seen a resurgence. The ranger we spoke to today said about 33,000 acres (in 61 mostly) had burned to date (since july) and they are desperately trying to keep it from jumping Divide Road. The area is saturated with smoke. Good that it helps mask human scent I suppose. But, i’d rather see beautiful scenery.

22-Sep-18
I was just out at 62 from the 12th to 16th, best opportunity I had was a cow at 70yds near the oak scrub, decided not to/ would have botched it. Lots of bears, spooked 4 bulls in the thick timber on N facing draws, no bugling till the 15th. Buddy stayed longer and ended up heading down towards 65, lots of bugling bulls and got 2 within 50yds, he ended up not capitalizing I guess. Hope you got one before tomorrow!

22-Sep-18
Hunted unit 62 for last 2 weeks. put in the effort. Real dry n lots of hunters. Wasn't very much fresh elk sign at all. Saw a few elk n heard a few. But think any elk in area we hunted were on private land, if they were there at all.

22-Sep-18
Hunted unit 62 for last 2 weeks. put in the effort. Real dry n lots of hunters. Wasn't very much fresh elk sign at all. Saw a few elk n heard a few. But think any elk in area we hunted were on private land, if they were there at all.

23-Sep-18

• Sitka Gear