Sitka Gear
Disappointment Creek, CO Elk Experience?
Elk
Contributors to this thread:
skibuoy 14-May-14
Rocking R 14-May-14
JTreeman 14-May-14
cnelk 15-May-14
Junior 15-May-14
Barty1970 15-May-14
Jaquomo 15-May-14
Milo 15-May-14
nowheels 15-May-14
CK 15-May-14
Barty1970 16-May-14
adobe 16-May-14
LaGriz 16-May-14
LaGriz 16-May-14
RUM300 25-May-19
Bottomdweller 25-May-19
Vonfoust 25-May-19
Paul@thefort 25-May-19
Franklin 26-May-19
Jaquomo 26-May-19
Ucsdryder 26-May-19
midwest 26-May-19
Franklin 26-May-19
billygoat 26-May-19
14-May-14
I'm considering an elk hunt along Disappointment Creek in SW Colorado. GMU 711 and 70. Private land, bordering BLM. Previously run by Valley Hunting Service, now under another operation. Anybody have any experience in that area? Thanks!

14-May-14
PM Sent

14-May-14
Sounds like it could be kinda disappointing!

Sorry, I couldn't resist...

--Jim

15-May-14
I was gonna say the same thing. Elk hunting is hard enough without handicapping yourself

15-May-14
We hunted the area 10 years ago on the second rifle elk. Was hot and dry, didn't see many elk then, but when you did see one they were nice. Time frame is huge in that area next to Utah. Go during Utahs season as the good ones get pushed to Co. Btw...wish i had a deer tag then, awesome deer in that country!

15-May-14
I never cease to find the names of all the places throughout the Western states fascinating...life must have been very hard...Misery Gulch...Heartbreak Valley...

The offical guide says 'Most of unit 72 and the western sections of 70 and 711 is desert terrain and not productive for elk.' Although Hunt Creek to the south of Disappointment Creek in 711 may be productive ;-)

The very best of luck and good hunting

15-May-14
Barty, many of the homesteading families would come out from the East or Midwest in the summer, build a cabin in a gorgeous meadow, then find out that winter comes in October and doesn't leave until the end of May. Snowed 2' at my house earlier this week.

Many frontier women committed suicide during the long winters. Yes, much of the mountain West can be gruesome for about 2/3 of the year.

15-May-14
Wasn't all I hoped it would be :)

15-May-14
Can't speak of it during archery season, but I hunted that area during 2nd rifle back in '08. As others have said, it's very dry. It was also very hot when we were there. I think we only had one morning in the low 30s, with most temps ranging from the low 50s to mid 80s most of that week. Our group saw a few elk, but not too many. One guy killed a nice 5x5.

I would definately try and get a deer tag if you can. We saw some dandy Mulie bucks. Lots of bear in the area as well.

Good luck!

15-May-14
My great grandfather homesteaded dissapointment. I believe the name came from the seasonal nature of the creek.

The DOW now owns the old family ranch. It is excellent habitat but it gets hunted pretty hard. Everything below that can be pretty hit or miss but you always have the chance of a giant wandering down off North Mountain.

16-May-14
'Winter for nine months of the year and bad weather for the other three...'

So you've been to Scotland then, Lou? ;-)

16-May-14
Disappointment Creek goes for about 40 miles. The western end is hot & dry. But the upper end where Valley Hunting Services has his private land, blocks access to some of the best looking Elk country in SW Colorado. All that land locked BLM land looks excellent, with Tall Ponderosa's; Spruce & Aspen. Don't believe anybody has ever been able to bowhunt it because of lack of access….. except thru Valley Hunting Services private land. If I had the chance to bowhunt that country, I'd jump at the opportunity.

16-May-14
I once camped and hunted in a place called "Starvation Point" and I had tag soup!

Hope you do better!

LaGriz

16-May-14
I once camped and hunted in a place called "Starvation Point" and I had tag soup!

Hope you do better!

LaGriz

25-May-19
Ive hunted around Ryman Crk on both east and west sides of the road. The best would be Benchmark Lookout. on the west side easier to access. The South Mountain on the east side. South can be accessed by taking Disappointment Crk rd to the south out of Slickrock. Go about 15 miles and turn onto Ryman Crk rd, right before you cross the crk turn right and go as far as you can. Either hike or 4 wheeler 3000 ft. up switchbacks to the mesa on top. It is the most productive if you get a later season tag and use your bow. Calls still productive late cause its just a quick weather change, Ive seen 200 elk or more lots of times migrating down. Don't go by yourself there, you might be the only one there till next years season.

25-May-19
^^^^What he said. Don’t forget your hoochie mama:)

25-May-19
I've been to Cripple Creek, my wife claims to have been to Disappointment Creek even though we've only spent time near Colorado Springs.

25-May-19
this post is 5 years old. I am sure the OP is gone another way.

26-May-19
What a difference 5 years makes. Back in 2014 members were willing to tell you everything you want to know about a unit or location to hunt. Nowadays you ask a question about a unit and they tell you to f-off....lmao

26-May-19
Seems like Rum300 told him everything except where a bull is tied to a tree. If I was also hunting benchmark lookout area and someone posted that much detail on a public forum for a million bowhunters to read, I sure wouldn't be very happy....

Rum, buddy, next time send a PM.

26-May-19
Great name for a co otc area!

26-May-19
It used to be real good hunting there until about 5 years ago. Now it's overrun with people. I wonder how the word got out? ;-)

26-May-19
Probably a bluff....when they got there they realized why it was named Disappointment Creek. Now it`s called "Pissed Off Creek".

26-May-19
I used to hunt Difficult Ck, aptly named. I love some of the names out here too, Crazy Woman Creek Dirty Woman Creek You get the idea....

• Sitka Gear