YZF-88 04-Jun-14
cambow 04-Jun-14
WapitiBob 04-Jun-14
cambow 04-Jun-14
Butternut40 30-Mar-19
Charlie Rehor 30-Mar-19
goelk 30-Mar-19
04-Jun-14
I've had a lot of time to tinker and look up tuning procedures the past few months. Now I can finally start shooting again. To mitigate boredom, I read and printed off several instructions for setting up/tuning a new bow. I went through "modified french tuning" my Spyder 34 yesterday. What a PITA but I eventually was able to consistently split a string at short range (sight pin windage adjustments) and hit the bull’s-eye at 30 yds(rest adjustments).

After that, I shot a few fixed blade broad heads. They are hitting in the EXACT same spots as my field points. So far, it seems to have worked (out to 30yds at least).

Anybody else setup a bow this way? Same results?

I've never done "walk back tuning" but I think the net result would be the same. Not the procedure though.

04-Jun-14
Interesting. Have never heard of French tuning. Heck, we Americans don't even like the French! :) Its like, WTF would THEY know about tuning a bow!? :)

>>>>-------->

04-Jun-14
IT IS MY BIGGEST SECRET TO TUNING! Don't tell everyone. I learned modifed french tuning from pro archer George Ryals. It is a variation of walk back tuning/group tuning, and this method works better than paper tuning and a perfect fit for bowhunters. The pros group tune, they don't paper tune. Here is how i do it.

1. I yoke tune the bow for optimal horizontal nock travel; 2. I fire a bare shaft and fletch shaft at 20 yards. I move my rest up or down until the two are on the same vertical line, this sets your nock height better than any method i have ever done; 3. I fire an arrow at three yards at a string using say my 40 yard pin. 4. I use my same 40 yard pin at 40 yards, repeat at close range and adjust center shot accordingly. Using the same pin tells you how to set center shot.

(center shot is set at 13/16" to start, but is affected by arrow spine, riser flex, bow center of gravity, and form, so french tuning is the best method for finding the perfect center shot)

The results for me have been amazing.

04-Jun-14
Cambow, I didn't mention it but a few months ago I made a draw board with parts I already had. That made it safe and easy to check and adjust my yoke cables so the cam and string were perfectly parallel at full draw to start with. Didn't cost me a dime.

04-Jun-14
Why is it called French tuning?

04-Jun-14
I have no idea but the name made me really, really skeptical.

04-Jun-14
No one knows why it is called French Tuning, but i don't care.........it works.

YZF-88, perfect, i have the BowTime Machine draw board, and it is a critical part of my bow set up. Horizonatal nock travel on some bows is horrible. After decades of trying to get broadheads to shot, i have found in my testing that taking our horizontal nock travel is one of the best ways to get great broadhead groups that hit right next to field tip groups.

04-Jun-14
much ado about something that is really very simple.

04-Jun-14
John Dudley coined the term and has an outlined explanation of the procedure on his web site. It comes from the FITA guys.

04-Jun-14

John Dudley is a pro, and one of the best teachers out there. These guys are at the top of their game, and when John speaks, i listen. In an article written by John titled: "The French Tuning Mehthod", he stated and i quote exactly: "The French Tuning Method may or may not really be French. That I don't know. What i do know though is that it works and I owe much of my success to this method."

The method is fairly simple as staight arrow said, he is right, but the key is that it many times works better than paper tuning and from my experience is a method that works great for broadhead tuning, ........i for one will listen to Dudley.

30-Mar-19
ttt I used the modified french tuning method this morning to get my broadheads to impact with my field points. It worked like a charm. I started shooting at a string from 6 feet away, adjusted my sight to move field points to split string. Backed up 10 yards and made adjustments to my rest to get field points to split string. Went back to 20 yards and made more slight adjustments to rest to get field point and broadhead to impact the same spot Final step was slight adjustment to sight to move both fp and broadhead group up. Pretty easy process.

30-Mar-19
I do exactly as Butternut40 except I do the first step at 9 feet. I can do step one (pins) and two (rest) in my basement as only 10 yards is needed. When I go outside to shoot distances things are very close. Fastest/easiest way I’ve found. Good Luck!

Google “French tuning” if interested.

30-Mar-19
does it work with traditional bows

• Sitka Gear