midwest 20-Jun-14
Mad_Angler 20-Jun-14
Mad_Angler 20-Jun-14
bradbear 20-Jun-14
Buffalo1 20-Jun-14
Wood 21-Jun-14
WapitiBob 21-Jun-14
20-Jun-14
First, I'm not talking about binoculars with rangefinders built-in. I'm talking about plain old binoculars.

Binocs are legal at 3d shoots. Rangefinders are not legal at 3d shoots.

But, it seems pretty easy to use normal binoculars as range finders...

Start at practice range and get binoculars focused well on 30 yard target. Learn which way to turn focus wheel to focus on 40 yard target.

At the first real target, look through the binocs. Is target perfectly focused? If so, target is exactly 30 yards. If not, which way to turn the knob to get it focused? Then you know whether it is more than 30yards or less than 30 yards.

This seems pretty easy. Other folks have to already figured this out.

20-Jun-14
I found an old similar question on archerytalk.com. "caveman" asked the same question more clearly than I think I did...

Do you consider the following scenario cheating? And would your answer depend on whether it was done in a large tournament or a small local archery club? An archer competing in a 3D shoot walks up to the first shooting stake and using a set of high quality binoculars glasses the target to determine an aiming point for the 11 ring. The archer adjusts the binoculars to have the sharpest image possible and after judging the yardage at 40 yards executes the shot perfectly and scores an 11. The archer proceeds to the next station and at first glance thinks the target is a little closer than the last shot, maybe 37 – 38 yards. The archer then glasses the target but notices’ adjusting the knob slightly counterclockwise is required to achieve the same sharp image as the previous target. Almost subconsciously from years of experience the archer knows if the binoculars have to be adjusted in this manner from the last shot that was 40 yards, then the target has to be a little farther, not closer and rethinks and adjusts the judged yardage thus making a better shot and achieves a high score. If binoculars were not used and the shot was made on the first judgment, the score would have been less. Well, do you consider this scenario cheating? Is your answer influenced by the size of the shoot or the organization hosting it? Is this a good reason to make binoculars illegal at 3D shoots?

20-Jun-14
Been thinking the same for years, could even put small marks on the focus wheel. Haven't done it but think it would be pretty close

20-Jun-14
If it works, then yeah, it's cheating.

20-Jun-14
We just went thru the same thing at the CBH State Broadhead shoot. Basically it's up to each group to police each other. Watch your competition closely and se if he keeps looking back and forth out of his binos and staring at his focus wheel, and/or has marks on the focus wheel. This is catching on and clubs are becoming more aware of it.

20-Jun-14
This falls under getting WAAY too serious about what should be a fun little competition. How about give every competitor images of where the 5 and 3 rings are on every target and ban binoculars entirely?

20-Jun-14

midwest's embedded Photo
midwest's embedded Photo
"How about give every competitor images of where the 5 and 3 rings are on every target..."

Those are already available.

20-Jun-14
Now, the rules are very clear. Notches or marks on binoculars ARE against the rules.

20-Jun-14
Now, the rules are very clear. Notches or marks on binoculars ARE against the rules.

But it seems that you could get most of the benefit by just knowing which way to turn the focus wheel to bring the image into focus.

20-Jun-14
could just use these http://www.vortexoptics.com/product/vortex-viper-hd-rt-10x50-tactical-binocular

20-Jun-14
First, rangefinders are legal in some categories of ASA shoots- "Known 40" and "Known 45". I shoot in the "Known 45" category and I just like the competitors in other categories do not discuss distance of targets.

In the book Idiot Proof Archery, Bernie Pellerite covers in Chapter 15- "3-D and Estimating Yardage- Legal and Illegal" pp.271-290 this subject. It is an interesting read.

21-Jun-14
I think IBO rules state that you can't set yardage on your sight after looking through binos at stake.

21-Jun-14
The guys that win don't use their binos to judge yardage. Fact

• Sitka Gear