BIGHORN 02-Dec-14
Kdog 03-Dec-14
Paul@thefort 05-Dec-14
BIGHORN 05-Dec-14
MathewsMan 16-Jul-15
mrjeffro 17-Jul-15
Kdog 20-Jul-15
09-Sep-14
My son, Mathews Man, and I are leaving Saturday to hunt barren ground caribou at Webbers Lodge, formerly Henik Lake Adventures. The weather looks like it is in the 40's and 50's but who knows how it will be once we get there.

It is very tough to wait this one out. We both are packed and ready to go. Bows are tuned so look out caribou.

When I return I will have two weeks until I have to have my spine fused in two different areas. Doc said that if you can stand the pain go ahead because you can't hurt yourself any worse than what you have already. I'm taking pain killers with just in case.

09-Sep-14
Enjoy every second. Sounds like you will have a blast regardless of the outcome...and make some memories that will never fade. Watch those pain killers...you can get addicted very very quickly.

Let us know how you do!

09-Sep-14
Bighorn, I hunted with Webers 2 years ago and was one of the best hunts I've ever been on. If you have time take a quick trip out to take pics of the polar bears while in Churchill. Good luck.

09-Sep-14
SteveB, So far I have had 5 spine operations. Hurt my lower back when I was 19 in the military. I use to take a lot of pain killers when I was young but now I have learned how to put up with the pain on a daily basis. Doc said that if I am going to take care of the problem that I should do it now at 69 because when you get closer to 80 that he wouldn't even think about surgery because the bones get to thin. Hope that this will be the last time I have to go under the knife.

It's fantastic to go on these hunts with my son. Our trip to South Africa was very memorable along with our sheep, elk, deer and antelope hunts.

10-Sep-14
Good luck. Looks like they have some great CBGC there, can't wait for photos.

How many can you shoot?

10-Sep-14
Good luck guys! Looking forward to your report. I want to chase one of these critters.

10-Sep-14
Time cannot pass fast enough this week, tick- tock... Webbers partnered up with Henik Lake Adventures, Ryan is still the owner operator. This week Russ who Manages Webbers is on Ryan's hunt. They are very limited 24 hunts per year.

Hoping it is very memorable.

10-Sep-14
Nick- two each. Only taking my bow, well I don't own a rifle so that statement doesn't need to be said.

Thanks Tom, for some weird reason I always think your handle is Terry Marcum's... Weird.

10-Sep-14

MathewsMan's MOBILE embedded Photo
MathewsMan's MOBILE embedded Photo

Here is the best bull they took last year, 412".

10-Sep-14
That's TJ who lives in Black Hawk. I talked to him a few months ago and he wants to go back again. Real nice guy! The weather up there forecast snow on Monday.

11-Sep-14
Good Luck.....hope your back doesn't give you too much trouble...the hunt will be worth it.. By the way, those are Central Barren Ground Caribou....not quite as big as the Central Barren Ground Caribou but close enough and they eat really good!!!!

26-Sep-14

MathewsMan's embedded Photo
Our hunt was fantastic. This was dad's first bull, I got mine later (second day of our hunt).

26-Sep-14

I stalked up for a finishing shot and mine went out into the lake and died. The Guide had to get the boat and tow him to shore. Getting it out the velvet came off like crazy, so we pealed it all clean and then took the photos right on the shore.

26-Sep-14

Here is dads bull and mine together in the boat. The guide thought dad's was very lucky (his bez points cross like fingers).

26-Sep-14

Camp was comfortable. They had propane furnaces in the hunters wall tents

26-Sep-14

The weather was cold and windy with a few hours during the week that were warm and sunny.

Not a single bug all week!

THey used aluminum boats with 25hp motors to get around the lake.

For the most part it was not too dangerous out on the water with the wind and waves that came up.

26-Sep-14

My second bull I was hoping for a real monster like some of the ones the rifle hunters in camp were putting on the ground, but the 4th day I went ahead and took this guy for a skull mount.

26-Sep-14

My guide went up to my bull as it was still kicking a bit and stabbed it in the brain stem and between the shoulders to end his nerve reactions... Kind of nuts I would not stand on an antler and stab an elk like that.

The meals (our camp cook was Jody) were phenominal. And the guide we had (Jason) was really well versed on eco tourism due to his polar bear tourism stuff.

He also was 100% this season on bowhunters getting nice bulls. Apparently the first week of the 3 weeks he had Archers Choice in camp and they had 10 or more stalks on great bulls they did not shoot because the video was not correct. He said they ended up shooting nice ones though.

26-Sep-14

Some of the bulls that we were seeing and the rifle hunters harvested were very good.

This one had a great double shovel, His main shovel was almost 28" long.

26-Sep-14
Wow looks like you did well, congratulations!

26-Sep-14

One of the two Australian guys killed this bull with great Bez points

26-Sep-14

I feel very fortunate to have experienced this hunt with my dad. He did great walking and with his back.

October 6th he goes under the knife again for more back surgery.

We also flew out through another very highly reviewed camp and their 8 hunters during the same week, 6 of them had not even seen a caribou.

26-Sep-14
Congrats on some great animals and a great hunt together !

26-Sep-14
Good luck Bighorn.

26-Sep-14
Thanks for the story and pics! Looks like it was a great hunt. Congrats! You folks have a great relationship, pretty cool.

Bighorn, good luck on the surgery. Take it easy on the nurses..... I don't think they will be able to control themselves, you will have to be the strong one....

We'll see ya on the CF when you get out..... =D

26-Sep-14

BIGHORN's embedded Photo
BIGHORN's embedded Photo
Scott forgot to mention that our drinking water came straight out of the lake. It was some of the best water I have ever tasted.

Glad that I purchased a new pair of Lacrosse 800 boots to take with. Also, the cold wind will chill you to the bone. WindShear clothing and a lite rain suit is a must. I think that a spotting scope would just get in the way. However, our 8 x 30 Swarvoski binocs were ok but 10 x 42 would have worked better.

I gave my range finder and a pair of goretex gloves that I had not yet worn to our guide. I got a big smile and a hug from him so he obviously appreciated getting them.

I can't imagine a hunt being better than this one. Here is a picture of our guide with my bull.

27-Sep-14
great pictures. the best one in my mind is the one of you and your dad. it's great you have included each other in you various adventures over the years.

27-Sep-14
Congrats. Those are nice animals. I wish my father was still here so I could do just one more adventure with him. Enjoy very minute, you never know when the Lord will come calling.... Thanks for sharing.

27-Sep-14
Congrats to you both on a great hunt made even better by getting to share it with each other!

28-Sep-14
Great story and hunt, congratulations

28-Sep-14
Great hunt and cograts on some nice Bou. You are very lucky you get to do this with your dad !

28-Sep-14
Very nice. Congrats. I really need to do that someday.

29-Sep-14
Congrats on a great hunt and Memories of a lifetime!

29-Sep-14
amazing :-)

29-Sep-14

BIGHORN's embedded Photo
BIGHORN's embedded Photo
The fellow from Black Hawk is not TJ, but wants to be called T Allan.

I just made reservations to the GSCO banquet in Reno for Scott, my wife and myself. Hope to visit with 3 of the guys that were in our camp when we get to Reno. Scott will be getting his Super 10 Slam with a bow award. Are any of you guys on here going to attend?

The outhouses were not quite the comforts of home but they were out of the chilly wind.

29-Sep-14
It really was a trip of a lifetime for us. When I shot my Shiras Moose last year dad asked me what I still needed to get to finish the "Super Ten" with archery and I told him I still needed a Caribou. He sort of shockingly said that's all you still need.

I figured with my oldest of three children leaving for college this fall, it may be 8 or more years before they are all through college and I would possibly be in a situation where I could possibly go DIY for caribou in Alaska or something.

Dad, wanting to see me achieve this hunting together set up this hunt and made my goal become a reality. I am really thankful for all he and my mother have done for me in my life. I hope that someday I can do the same for my children.

30-Sep-14

BIGHORN's embedded Photo
BIGHORN's embedded Photo
I can't stop thinking about this hunt. I have had guided hunts in Alaska, Colorado, New Zealand, Namibia and South Africa but this was the best one yet. All of the hunters, guides, cook and camp manager got along famously. The two hunters from Australia had everyone laughing.

My wife said that I should consider retiring from hunting because the addition that we had built onto our house is already full of mounts. Scott and I still have to use our 20 archery elk preference points here in Colorado this coming season. I wonder where I will put that mount?

30-Sep-14
Great hunt....with your Dad to boot!!! Congrats!

Mark

01-Oct-14
Congrats guys!

01-Oct-14
awesome.

01-Oct-14
Congrats. Great to see that you and your dad can still do trips like this!!!!

Rick M

23-Oct-14

wanted to update those who have asked about Dad's surgery.

He underwent over 5 hours of work, the L5 Vertebrae was something like 4x's larger than normal, and they chisseled it down to normal size, then cleaned out the stenosis around his chord and fused him from L1 down to S1.

The photo is of his opening.

He had been walking a mile or so every day since he got out of the hospital (a week stay).

Last night he mentioned that he sneezed and something felt like it tweaked or something...

I've not seen him in person since surgery, but I am told he stands upright more with excellent posture now that they reconstructed his back into a proper alignment.

23-Oct-14

Here are also a few additional images around the lake.

23-Oct-14

Some bulls

23-Oct-14

Our Camp Manager Troy only got a few hours while hunters were out and shot this bull on the small Island camp was located on. This was maybe 300 yards behind camp.

Of course, aftr harvesting out, there were some really nice bulls that actually came by camp even with 6 or 7 guys standing on the hill next to a barrell in the wide open.

23-Oct-14
Now everyone knows what my butt looks like. I must have pulled a muscle when I sneezed but some gabapentin pills took care of the pain. I am off all pain pills but have to wear a back brace for 9 more weeks. Get the stitches out next Tuesday.

Actually, I am walking better than before and I don't look like I have a pack on my back all the time. I'm anxious to get into the pt work so that I can start pulling my bow and be ready to cash in our 20 years of elk preference points so that Scott and I can have another great hunt together.

I have gone on 6 guided hunts and this was the best one without a doubt.

30-Oct-14
Looks like a great hunt, congrats guys! Were you at Commonwealth or Schmok Lake?

31-Oct-14
We were at Baralzon Lake. One of Henik Lake Adventure (Ryan St.John's) camp.

This year that camp 23 hunters killed 46 bulls.

31-Oct-14
From Thompson we were taken by private charter to Nejanilini Lake (Lodge at Little Duck) where they had a Super Beaver stationed for our final flight to Caribou Camp at Baralzon Lake.

If we were to do it over it might have made sense to drive the extra 8 hours from Winnipeg to Thompson, but we already drove about 20 hours straight up from Denver to Winnipeg.

31-Oct-14
Thanks for sharing your hunt. Looks like I am going to go to the same camp next year.

01-Dec-14
Kevin,

Which week are you going to be there? It probably won't make any difference. If you are a cribbage player you should challenge Jodi, the cook, to a game. I took the first 7 games then, she came back and beat me 6 straight. I was lucky that we had to break camp and go home or she probably would have beat me a few more.

I'm walking 2 miles per day and have been after the first week out of the hospital. I am working with 10 lbs. weight to build up my arms again. I sure want to go elk hunting with Scott next fall.

I look back when he was about 14 and I quit hunting with my brother and a couple other friends so that I could teach him the fun of hunting and it's responsibility to each other, the land and the animals we hunt. Little did I know that he would turn out to be the hunter that he is now. He is already teaching his son so the genes have been passed on. My dad, Scott's grandpa, would be very proud of both of us!

The meat is excellent. I game some to my neighbors, my doctor and to my surgeon. They all think that it is very good meat.

01-Dec-14
That photo of the three bulls on the ridgetop sure does have a dandy in the middle!!!

02-Dec-14

You should have seen some of the bulls the rifle hunters harvested in our group.

Michael Kiker, pastor with GSCO shot two that both scored over 450" SCI.

02-Dec-14

The photos are a bit gorey, but I especially liked the Shovel on Brian, a guy from Australia's bull...

Some phenominal trophies.

While dad and our Guide Jason were caping his bull, a herd ran by that I ran up to the top of the hill but could not get close enough for a shot, he had 5 or 6 tops on each side that were at least 24" long, huge Bez, and a shovel similar to this photo. It would easily have gone over 430" P&Y. I knew looking at him that he would smash the current record, but of course he was in the middle of a huge herd right in the center of a lot of cows. Impossible to have gotten even with a rifle.

02-Dec-14

Sorry, I posted this one earlier in the thread.

It was a great trip with my dad, and the group hunting with us was also really great.

Some of the guys asked if we would come back, and for me this was truly a once in a lifetime experience for me that would not have been possible without my dad's assistance. It was a lot like our trip to Africa in that we just had an amazing trip together.

02-Dec-14
I went to Webbers web site I see there are 2 down payments of 1500.00 each. I cannot find price of final payment?

Do they list it or do you have to contact them directly to find the total price of a Caribou hunt?

02-Dec-14
PM sent Kelly.

02-Dec-14
Congrats on a great and successful hunt. I'm interested in the total costs as well. Ed F

02-Dec-14
PM sent Ed.

02-Dec-14
Since you asked, it was $10,855 each which included $150 each for shipping meat and horns from Thompson to Winnipeg and airfare from Winnipeg to Thompson and back. That included the licenses, tags, everything. My guess is that fees will go up some in 2015.

03-Dec-14
Merle - I am going Sept 5th - 11th. Not really sure, but I think it's the 2nd week.

05-Dec-14
Got in on this thread late, but what a wonderful time together.

Congratulations to you both.

My best, Paul

05-Dec-14
Paul,

My happiest times I have ever experienced is hunting with my son...bar none! I will be 70 in a few months and my body is starting to give out. Hopefully, we will be able to harvest a couple of big bull elk in September. I never have been a hunter that had to arrow the biggest rack. Just a good representative of the species.

However, I really want both of us to harvest big bulls because this may be our last hunt together as we cash in our 20 preference points.

16-Jul-15

Some PM's about our hunt, so moving it up again with a photo of my mount from the trip.

17-Jul-15
Great bull. Thanks for sharing

20-Jul-15
Your mount looks great! Can't wait until September.

• Sitka Gear