Mark Watkins 16-Sep-14
Ermine 17-Sep-14
gogittem 17-Sep-14
Seminole 17-Sep-14
pointingdogs 17-Sep-14
Sage Buffalo 17-Sep-14
Bear Track 17-Sep-14
16-Sep-14
Hey guys, just went out for my 2nd hunt of the year for antelope. 1st hunt opening day: I stalked to within 40 yds of 6 bucks, but didn't get off the shot. That was a 3 hr hunt, Todays was about 5 minutes.

This week was most likely my last to chase antelope. Sunday I leave for my 2 week elk hunt. Went out this afternoon after my landowner buddy Nick told me he was covered up in goats while spraying in the fields. 5 mins into my hunt I shot this buck.

Saw him crossing the field by himself. I Pulled into the far side and parked. He still kept coming, so keeping the truck between him and me, I ran out 30 yds and staked my decoy so he could see it. He still kept coming. So using my truck as cover I hid behind the back end, and sure enough he walks right by at around 35-40 yds, and I shot. I must have hit him back, because he runs 50 yds (out to about 75 from me)and stops. I shoot again but miss. He runs another 30 and beds down. I'm literally sitting against the tire of my truck waiting for his head to go down..... keeping my fingers crossed! Can't believe that worked.....

16-Sep-14
Man I hope he didn't have fawns with him! Ha

Good luck!

16-Sep-14
Deer you are likely going to have to wait several hours unless you liver hit him. Be patient! Better to wait until he's dead or close to it than making him get up and run.

Believe me - if they aren't almost done they can go a very, very long way. Talking miles. So don't rush things.

Take a nap or just chill.

16-Sep-14
Will do guys. He got up and bedded right back down. He's also breathing really fast. I actually am thinking liver.

16-Sep-14
Nice work slayer! You could post a thread on bowsite about the best way to make use of a truck blind. That should be entertaining and help pass the time! Ha! Let's see a hero shot soon!

16-Sep-14
Patience is a virtue.... Do you have a spotting scope?

Hoping for good news....

16-Sep-14
Who would have thought thirty years ago someone would be "posting" on the "internet" while waiting for an antelope to die after shooting it on the range?!

Good luck. "Post" pics once you get him!

16-Sep-14
Nice Justin - hope your wait is short!

16-Sep-14
Sounds like your having a great afternoon. Good job brother.

16-Sep-14
Don't let that fool you Deer!!!

The fact he got up means it might barely be liver - likely further back. Usually if it's liver they don't get up at all.

All I can say is until he puts his head down for a long time don't approach him. Then wait even a longer.

If he keeps his head up he's still too strong to approach.

OR

If you are in phenominal shape you can chase him all over kingdom come. However, I don't reco that approach.

16-Sep-14
Attaboy! Send some pics

16-Sep-14
Take the 80 yard shot and go get your goat, that's nothing for you western boys...LOL just joking, good luck with him.

16-Sep-14
I couldn't sit there and let the animal suffer I'd try to get close enough to put another arrow in him. I'm not saying your wrong I'm just saying what I would do. Mike

16-Sep-14
Daughter hit a pronghorn back and low (mainly guts) with Xbow (no judging, it was during a rifle hunt and she's too small for a bow...yet).

We watched him for an hour and he could barely keep his head up, would rock backward and looked like he couldn't even stand.

We decided to finish things off and stalked closer with Xbow. An adult could have easily finished him, but young daughter needs to rest Xbow on shooting sticks and takes a little time to get all set up to shoot.

Bottom line is he went from looking too weak to stand to walking over a mile before we could circle him to finish him off.

I suspected it would happen, and we pushed sooner than I normally would have since it was wide open and I knew we wouldn't lose him.

But as we all know, DO NOT PUSH HIM. Just sit tight and wait it out unless you are confident that you can crawl closer for a shot and not bump him.

Carl

16-Sep-14
Change the oil while your at it.....:)

16-Sep-14
If you try to finish him off there is a huge chance you will prolong the event and not end it. Do not push it. There is only one way this ends badly and that is if you screw it up by getting aggressive.

16-Sep-14

deerslayer's embedded Photo
You guys are great! Here he is bedded down. He only bedded 100 yds out from the truck. Nick is spraying right across the road and that keeps his attention.

16-Sep-14

Here he is with his head down.... He keeps doing this for up to a minute at a time....

16-Sep-14
How long has it been since the shot?

16-Sep-14
I have to work this afternoon at 4 pm.... Time for a judgement call. 99.999 % of the time I would be giving the exact same advice that all of you are giving regarding waiting him out. I take in the totality of the circumstances and decide this is that .000001 percent time. I wait until his head is down and come out from behind my truck I get 10 yds and his head goes up. I freeze and wait... His head goes down after a few minutes. I finally get to 75, then 60, 50, now 40. He is hard quartering away and starts to move like he is going to stand. I put tension on the string and then his head droops again... I decide I really want this shot to count... I sneak to 30...

Nick is 150 yds with the sprayer and the buck senses something isn't right. I draw, center my pin,....

16-Sep-14
I drill him! He tries to stand but falls down halfway up! I raise my bow over my head and begin to walk over to collect my trophy! Nick sees the whole thing from the sprayer and begins to come over in the machine... 10 yds out from the buck he gets up and with a tremendous burst takes off past me... I can see my arrow, and can tell his run will be his last. Sure enough he stops 150 yds out and goes down for the final time!!

16-Sep-14

My ground blind.....

16-Sep-14

16-Sep-14

16-Sep-14
Congrats !!!

16-Sep-14

16-Sep-14

Gotta go to work!!!

16-Sep-14

smarba's Link
Sit tight & keep an eye on him.

My daughter's buck I described above would roll his head/neck backward so that his horns nearly touched the ground behind him, which REALLY looked like he was at his last gasp, yet he got up and walked a mile when pushed.

And as Bou pointed out all it did was prolong the situation. In our case we knew that she could use rifle if needed (rifle tag) and we were trying to wrap things up to hit the road and get back home earlier so that she could make it to school the next day. Had it been an archery tag I would not have pushed him and I'm 100% certain he would have died in his bed.

For anyone interested, I've included a link to the story. Perhaps it will help deerslayer pass the time.

Carl

16-Sep-14
Congrats ! Like those pink fletchings too ! Very visible.

16-Sep-14
great job!!! glad it worked out!

16-Sep-14
Congrats Deerslayer!!!! You may have to change your handle now...Pronghornslayer!

Carl

16-Sep-14
Grip'n grin pic says you made the right decision. Congratulations!

Looks like it could have been a long wait with only the first shot. But you used your brains and patience made the best of a difficult situation. And that's part of hunting.

16-Sep-14
Good job JB!

16-Sep-14
X2 Ambush. No doubt where the first arrow hit him.

You made the right call to put him out of his misery as soon as possible.

16-Sep-14
Sweet!!!

16-Sep-14
Yeah! I didn't now Ford had the Patent on truck blinds. :^) Way to go and good calls. God Bless

16-Sep-14
Shot him just after 12:00 Wrapped my hands around him at about 1:45....

First time in at least 10 years plus that I’ve taken an animal to the meat processor, but between the heat (almost 80), work, prep for my elk hunt, and a Thurs-Friday deer hunt, I figured I was better off having the butcher do it. Hopefully I don’t get too comfortable with him doing it, or might have to do it more often! ;)

You can see the entry hole in the last pic.... Low right... came out the bottom of his belly, back in thru the leg, and back out again. Total of 4 holes... 2" 3 blade mech. Bad head choice for elk, good for lopes.

Certainly not thrilled about the 1st shot, but glad I could put the sneak on for the finisher. Hopefully I have the jitters out now before next weeks elk hunt!

He isn't big, obviously, and there's a lot more around, (In fact Nick saw 2 this morning that he said were reall nice) but the thing for me is I don't have goats real high on my priority list. This was only the second time in the month that seasons been open that I went out. With deer and elk open now, lopes really take a back seat, so I'm very happy to fill the tag and get some good eats out of the deal.

deerslayer aka.... Happy hunter ;)

16-Sep-14
Awesome. That was a fun hunt along with the pics to go with it. Congrats!!!

16-Sep-14
Congrats! And way to stick with it.

16-Sep-14
God you got him!!!

16-Sep-14
Nice! Congrats to you. Tough critters .

16-Sep-14
Congrats!

Mark

17-Sep-14
Good work! I love pronghorns!

Interesting thing happened to me once. I shot a buck. Broadside shot. Shot looked perfect. He ran hard and I could see blood in the arm pit. Bedded down 100 yards away.

He went and bedded. I knew best was to wait. I sat and watched him for 7 hours. After that I knew something was wrong. So I attempted a stalk. But saw me got up and ran and then bedded again. I tried Another stalk and the same thing happened. So I backed off and watched him until dark. He would put his head down once in awhile and I thought he was done then he would pop his head back up. Darkness came.

I came back in the morning expecting him to be dead. Found him standing up. Made a stalk he saw me at 120 yards and ran dead run for a mile. I learned that day there are times when you should wait and there are other times when you need to run them down.

Good job on your buck!

17-Sep-14
Well done! Always a bittersweet situation. Just went through it last week myself with mtn goat. Had an experience similar to Ermine where I rifle shot a buck low at start of belly. As I started approaching him, he stood there like a statue drooling and not breathing at all. I hollered at my bro telling him this thing looked like it was standing dead! He yells back, "shoot it you idiot!" I raise my gun up and it bolts a good 250 yds before falling dead. Gutted himself in the process about 100 yds into it. Amazing what an adrenaline jolt can do for game! Good luck on upcoming hunts!

17-Sep-14
Congrats! Great Job!

17-Sep-14
CONGRATS!! I unfortunately had the same thing happen to be 4 years ago on my first goat hunt. Goat acted just like yours.

17-Sep-14
Congrats! Glad it all worked out.

You did the right thing waiting and by the sounds of it sounds like you got enough liver to hurt him bad.

17-Sep-14
Well done!

• Sitka Gear