FullCryHounds 04-Dec-14
BIGHORN 04-Dec-14
Mule Power 05-Dec-14
smarba 05-Dec-14
StormCloud 09-Dec-14
StormCloud 09-Dec-14
cityhunter 10-Dec-14
04-Dec-14
So those of you non residents that have hunted Alaska for Caribou, do you usually get the two tags or do you just settle for one. Having never been on this hunt I am unsure if I really want/need two caribou.

Thoughts?

04-Dec-14
The guys coming up with me next year are all getting two tags, possibly three.

04-Dec-14
Two for sure, I shot slob then spiked out, couldn't get picked up for a few days after a week out the second tag was for a Meat cow, kept me FAT!

04-Dec-14
It's only like 300 bucks, just get it. If you end up seeing a WR after you use your one tag, you're going to be falling on the arrow you could have shot the bou with.

04-Dec-14
Get two. Made that mistake on Kodiak on blacktails. Shot a nice buck the first day the did not have a tag for the rest of the hunt. Walked the shotgun around and did see a great buck I couldn't hunt.

04-Dec-14
Get 2. It spreads the remaining cost of the trip over two animals. Basically, you are saving money by hunting 2...

I've been rationalizing similar expenditures for many years. VISA appreciates it.

04-Dec-14
There is no way i am buying just one. Its a two for me. I like to shoot stuff. Big or small. HUNT

04-Dec-14
Or you could spring for an extra $100.00 and get a moose tag along with your bou tag, you can use it for moose, black bear or caribou.

04-Dec-14
I bought one, killed on day two, and had chances at 5 borderline P&Y bulls over the next 5 days.

Buy two.

I'd recommend buying 3 or more if you could but two is the limit for the majority of the state.

04-Dec-14
Get the second tag. As BLG mentioned, it can be used for any animal that has an equal or lesser value tag. Wolf, black bear? I would also get a $30 NR wolf tag, or use your second caribou tag on the wolf.

04-Dec-14
I had two in Alaska and filled them both. Same thing on our caribou hunt close to the Arctic.

05-Dec-14
BLG is on the money. I hunted once years ago with an outfitter. I just bought a griz tag so I could shoot anything.

05-Dec-14
As BLG notes, but to clarify, Alaska allows you to kill any lesser/cheaper species with your tag. Obviously the unit has to have an open season for that particular species.

You eat the extra $ by shooting a cheaper species, but it adds a ton of flexibility for what critters you can be hunting.

So as noted, if you buy 1 moose tag and 1 caribou tag, that moose tag could be used for moose, black bear or caribou. Your caribou tag could be used for a black bear.

Just consider your options and what critters you are likely to encounter and want to hunt and buy tag(s) accordingly.

Carl

09-Dec-14

StormCloud's embedded Photo
I purchase one tag..I isolate my mission on shooting a trophy bull. I figure if I take a large bull early I can take a drive to Pruedo Bay and purchase another if I feel like it. Most times I spend my time filming and hunting ptarmigan. Fishing arctic char…There is a ton of things to do. Ive killed three pope and young bulls along the haul road on three different hunts. I had more fun hunting and filming and packing with my brother and friends then I could have shooting another bull. Not to mention flying 2000 lbs of meat and fish back gets a bit pricey .

09-Dec-14

I purchase one tag..I isolate my mission on shooting a trophy bull. I figure if I take a large bull early I can take a drive to Pruedo Bay and purchase another if I feel like it. Most times I spend my time filming and hunting ptarmigan. Fishing arctic char…There is a ton of things to do. Ive killed three pope and young bulls along the haul road on three different hunts. I had more fun hunting and filming and packing with my brother and friends then I could have shooting another bull. Not to mention flying 2000 lbs of meat and fish back gets a bit pricey .

10-Dec-14
Storm cloud good logic !!! save some bou for another day . I see many hunters kill just to fill a tag !

• Sitka Gear