Coyote 65 06-Dec-14
Nick Muche 06-Dec-14
Mossyhorn 06-Dec-14
razorsharp 08-Dec-14
Mossyhorn 08-Dec-14
razorsharp 10-Dec-14
razorsharp 18-Aug-15
06-Dec-14
Trying to decide when to go. Early August and up North or later and further south. Latest I can go would be 1st 2 weeks of Sept. Obviously I'm a non resident. Just want the best opportunity to kill caribou with a bow. This will be my 1st trip to Alaska. Have one maybe two more going,

Probably flying with Bushwacker air.

06-Dec-14

Nick Muche's embedded Photo
Nick Muche's embedded Photo
Last week of August was fun last year... Headed back same time this year.

06-Dec-14
I didn't know porcupines traveled in herds.

06-Dec-14
And it is even tougher to rollerskate than a buffalo herd.

Terry

06-Dec-14

Nick Muche's MOBILE embedded Photo
Nick Muche's MOBILE embedded Photo

This one was a loner.

06-Dec-14
The Porcupine herd has a much different travel route than what hunters will see hunting near the haul road or even out from there. The Porcupine herd migrates into the Yukon for the winter. It might help if you could give us an idea of where you're going?

I've hunted sheep in the Eastern Brooks range since 2011 and caribou are way usually out of the mountains by August 7-8 when we get there. They have already migrated out to the flats by then, although there are a few stragglers, they are few and many miles in between.

So hopefully your pilot can put you on them, whether they're in the mountains or the tundra.

I personally would not fly with Bushwhacker. I think it's a racket the way he's set up. You will pay him $2500 just for a flyout from Kavik. Talked to a guy last season that used him and it cost him I think about $700 or so to get from Deadhorse to Kavik. Plus who knows how much to get to Deadhorse. Plus, that's in a supercub!

You can get flights from Fairbanks with Wrights for $2300/person, to the same spots. Plus you're going in a helio whith a pay load of 750lbs. Now this is for sheep hunts and I've flown with one partner and come out with all our gear, two sheep, and two caribou, in one trip.

I've flown with Wrights every time I've been into the Brooks and they are the best, hands down. Bushwhacker is a one man show and when he has plane troubles, which is known to happen, you can expect long wait times getting in or out. With Wrights, they have a bunch of planes and awesome pilots and are always on time (weather permitting) and have always been able to get me out early.

I'd suggest calling one of the bios up there about the Porcupine herd though, they are not the same as what guys are hunting out of happy valley.

08-Dec-14
Looks like we are shooting for Aug 3-14. Is there a place in deadhorse that will freeze game meat? Trying to avoid spending too much time in anchorage on the way out but want to get meet frozen and boxed up for trip home.

08-Dec-14
That's a good question. I've been there many times but we've always driven up. Go over to the alaska outdoor hunting forum and ask there. There are a bunch of guys that work on the slope so you could probably get that answered quick.

Do you know where you're going yet? Since you're gonna be in deadhorse, I'm guessing you're going with bushwhacker? Id suggest 70 north in happy valley and almost anyone else before bushwhacker. 70 north flies Helios too so you'll have a 750 lb payload vs 50 lbs in a cub.

10-Dec-14
With Bushwacker the flight out of deadhorse to Kavik is a separate outfit and it is $700.00 per trip.

18-Aug-15
Make that $950.00 one way to Kavik on 70 North... the only game in town!

• Sitka Gear