hockey7 16-Dec-14
Cola Blanca 16-Dec-14
non-typical 16-Dec-14
Brotsky 16-Dec-14
Tndeer 16-Dec-14
Tndeer 16-Dec-14
writer 26-Dec-14
15-Dec-14
I was a little burned out on bow hunting for whitetail so this this past weekend I decided to do a little waterfowl hunting on my farm. Good thing I did because we shot a double banded drake mallard. One of the bands is a Jack Miner that reads "Have faith in God".

This one is going on the wall!

15-Dec-14
Awesome! -Those bands are rare and very cool! Truly a message from above.

15-Dec-14
You made an atheist out of that duck

15-Dec-14
Congratulations... That's an awesome trophy!!!

15-Dec-14
I've never heard of a band such as that. What is the history of them?

15-Dec-14
"I've never heard of a band such as that. What is the history of them?"

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=jack+miner+duck+band

15-Dec-14
Bear Track, I think Jack Miner was the first person to start banding ducks back in 1904. You should check out the website. They Band the ducks in Ontario. This year they banded 657 ducks and 127 have been harvested but several of those were banded in previous years.

15-Dec-14
Wow! That is an amzing trophy! I've got a lanyard full of goose and duck bands but I've never been lucky enough to get a Jack Miner! Congratulations!

15-Dec-14

non-typical's embedded Photo
Last day of September season last year . Congrats on the JM band. That tarsus in the pic is 16 years old and it's my first tarsus. We shot over 1000 last year and 93 bands. Congrats again.

15-Dec-14
That is very cool when you think about it.

Can you post a pic?

Congrats!

16-Dec-14
Really neat.

"Wild Goose Jack", Jack Miner's autobiography, is a fun read about one of North America's Godfather's of conservation. Recommended.

16-Dec-14
duplicate posts sorry

16-Dec-14

16-Dec-14

16-Dec-14

16-Dec-14
so let me get this right. that duck was banded in 1904 by some guy named jack. i call BS ducks don't live that long this is a sham.

16-Dec-14
"1915......Banded his first Canada goose to trace migration habits. All duck and goose bands now included a verse of Biblical scripture making the birds "missionaries of the air"."

Non-typical....out of those 93 banded geese you killed, have you ever entered a "Band Recovery Form" which provides valuable migration and conservation information?

16-Dec-14
Bou'bound of all people, I can't believe you don't know jack... :^)

Hockey7, I entered a recovery form in the early 80's from a Canada Goose I killed on the Cibola wildlife refuge in Arizona. The thank you certificate I received in return said the bird had been originally banded several years earlier, approx. 90 miles East of Calgary.

As a side note, it warms this old guys heart to see Wild Goose Jack's legacy alive and well.

16-Dec-14

Yea all the bands have been reported to the 800-band number. Our farthest one last year was one I killed on a solo hunt it was from the Aleutian Islands. I since retired from duck/goose hunting at the ripe age of 22 due to a number of different things the main one is all the drama trying to beat people to the field at 1 am so on and so forth.

Spring snow hunt last year.

16-Dec-14
Interesting that you shot 1000 and have gotten 93 bands. As of this season we have killed 2700 geese over the past handful of years and have 5 bands. Just goes to show that to fill up a lanyard with bands it sure helps to hunt where they band! Congrats! Our furthest band was from Wrangel Island, Russia.

16-Dec-14

Tndeer's embedded Photo
Tndeer's embedded Photo

16-Dec-14
I did a little more research. Jack Miner Foundation banded 657 ducks in 2014. Year to date, 127 ducks have been killed with bands. Obviously some of the ducks that were killed this year were banded in prior years.

26-Dec-14
Bands are interesting things.

I've hunted waterfowl, a lot, and killed my last banded bird in 1998. Since, I've shot, probably 1,000 or so ducks and geese. Maybe more.

This year a guy pulled a fast one on a landowner, and used my decoys (without asking permission), in blinds I 100-percent maintain, and shot five big Canadas one morning.

Three had bands, and came from two different flocks.

One year, several of us shot more than 2,000 ducks and geese with the groups we hunted with. Three bands.

But I shot three banded whitetails in a three year period. (Part of a research project on a nearby national wildlife refuge).

A friend has banded probably more than 10,000 goldfinches and pine siskens in his yard and gets far less than 1 percent as repeats or sent in. Of course, most of those bands probably end up in the bellies of Cooper's hawks, sharp-shinned hawks or house cats. Congrats on your Jack MIner band.

• Sitka Gear