5 points 28-Dec-14
Chief 29-Dec-14
5 points 29-Dec-14
PeroteHunter 29-Dec-14
Zebrakiller 30-Dec-14
White Falcon 04-Jan-15
White Falcon 04-Jan-15
26-Dec-14
I'm headed to AZ next week for my first Jaalina hunt and was wondering what to do with it should I be lucky enough to tag one.

When it comes to preserving your Javi for posterity, what have you guys done? Shoulder mount, life size, rug, skull mount, something else?

26-Dec-14
I like wall rugs with the head stuffed. They actually have a really pretty hide.

26-Dec-14

bsbowhunter's embedded Photo
bsbowhunter's embedded Photo
I went with a full mount. Partly because the darn critter was my nemesis! took me 9 years to get one of the supposedly easiest animals there is. Now I get them every year, with no problem. Even my Son got one on his first trip, at 15years old. He just turned to me and said "Dad, what's the big deal? why did it take you so long?" Gotta love kids!

26-Dec-14
Can they get the smell completely out of the hides?

I like the euros. they have a real unique skull.

But the one I did took nearly two months to degrease it, and that was in lacquer thinner. Another 2 weeks or so in the hot tank with Dawn.

(And probably another couple months to get it to the owner... oh well.... genius has no schedule.... and obviously neither do I.... =D)

26-Dec-14
Shoulder mounts are cool and if your taxidermist uses a reproduction jaw set you can have the skull cleaned. The javalina skull is my favorite skull.

27-Dec-14

Bigpizzaman's embedded Photo
Bigpizzaman's embedded Photo
Rugs are nice!

27-Dec-14

woodguy65's embedded Photo
The skulls are really neat, you'll want to save it.

27-Dec-14

Here's a shoulder...

27-Dec-14

Heat's Link
There are some great examples of javelina taxidermy posted here.

http://www.coueswhitetail.com/forums/topic/45595-javelina-season-is-near/

I don't have one, but I like the full body, closed or slightly open mouth versions best. bsbowhunter I feel your pain, still going...

Pretty sure the tanning process will remove any stink from the hide or hair TD.

Like woodguy65 said, save that skull for sure!

27-Dec-14
Life size looks sweet closed mouth ! best of luck they can be tough to find in AZ.

27-Dec-14
Ok, for some reason this little piggy is on my bucket list. Where can I go to hunt them and not take 9 years to do it?

27-Dec-14
Ron come meet me and we'll drive down to South Texas, the drive will be longer then the hunt!

27-Dec-14
Didn't mean to scare you about how tough the javelina are to get (there not) It was just me! now I see them everywhere and get one every year. I have to laugh when I shoot one and his buddies come back to 10yds and watch me while I walk over to the pig, I just have to shake my head and wonder what the h*ll I was doing wrong all those years! LOL Their skulls are cool, I have a bunch on the shelf. I give them to my buddy with a bug box now, then a couple of days later start degreasing.

27-Dec-14
A few years ago I ran into an old timer in Arizona at the local café. We got to talking and told him we had gotten our javelina, so he told us his story. He shot a big boar and decided to boil the skull, after cleaning there was a lot of build up around the base of the teeth so he started scrubbing and it turned gold! Said there was gold embedded at the base of all his teeth from rooting around. He said he went back to the area to try panning in the dry washes but never turned anything up. Said he passed on offers from people to buy it, would never give it up. Don't know if his story is true but was pretty entertaining to hear!

27-Dec-14
My son shot one north of lake pleasant once that gold colored teeth. It wasn't real. My taxidermist said it was from the minerals in the ground around there. Maybe the one you heard about was a "gangsta" pig with a gold grill. I hope everyone is ready to chase the grey ghosts next week. Good luck to all.

27-Dec-14

muley505's Link
Shoulder mount with open mouth. I did my shoulder mount with the mouth closed, and now I'm going to have to go shoot another one to get one open-mouthed. I would definitely do a euro mount on the skull too. Their skull is a really nice addition to any trophy collection. The attached link is one of my favorite versions of the open mouth.

28-Dec-14
Chief, what unit you hunting in AZ?

Ron, get a LO tag here and I will help you.

29-Dec-14
heading to 17 with some new friends. They've pretty much held my hand through the process.

29-Dec-14
Chief, yer only about an hour from me...great area, have a blast.

29-Dec-14

PeroteHunter's embedded Photo
PeroteHunter's embedded Photo

30-Dec-14

Zebrakiller's embedded Photo
Zebrakiller's embedded Photo

04-Jan-15

White Falcon's embedded Photo
White Falcon's embedded Photo
One of the skulls I have done.

04-Jan-15
One from S Tx. [URL=http://s296.photobucket.com/user/WhiteFalcon_photos/media/DSCN0338.jpg.html][IMG]http://i296.photobucket.com/albums/mm177/WhiteFalcon_photos/DSCN0338.jpg[/IMG][/URL]

• Sitka Gear