Eagle_eye_Andy 28-Nov-20
KHNC 27-Apr-21
krieger 27-Apr-21
#bowhunter 28-Jun-23
WI Shedhead 28-Jun-23
Catscratch 28-Jun-23
WI Shedhead 28-Jun-23
05-Jan-15
Little River Natives will have blight resistant chestnut seedlings available for May 2015. Seed sourced from CT Agricultural Experiment Station Chestnut program. Excellent early October hard mast for white tail. [email protected] for more info.

05-Jan-15
are these hybrid trees?

05-Jan-15
Not supposed to be posting if your not a sponsor!

Regarding chestnuts and disease......if they are resistant, they are likely a hybrid. Dunstan is a copyrighted name.....so, disease resistant or hybrid is often used.

05-Jan-15
my apologies, I was not aware that I could not post on this forum. I've seen people selling things on the bow site forums, and assumed the same rules applied. How do I take the post down?

07-Jan-15
I can't figure out how to remove this thread, and it's still here, so I will answer Tndeer's question:

These trees are all hybrids open pollinated and some controlled pollination. The seed comes from the CT Agricultural Experiment Station Chestnut Breeding Program (Lockwood farm). They have been working on breeding for blight resistance since at least the 1930's. I have been told that Lockwood farm is the nations largest collection of blight resistant varieties.

If it makes a difference, we don't make much on selling these trees, we basically cover our greenhouse and heating expenses for starting seed and our soil and plant bands, fertilizer etc. We do it more to promote the great work that Dr. Aagnastokis and her staff have been doing with the breeding program, and doing our part to help spread some blight resistant genetics.

Take care

03-Jun-20
jstlou Im interested. I have two Dunstan started (7 feet tall now) , are they compatible?

03-Jun-20
jstlou Im interested. I have two Dunstan started (7 feet tall now) , are they compatible?

03-Jun-20

03-Jun-20

03-Jun-20
btw "verbserde" looks like a scammer or a bot. He/she/it has a link embedded in the post above mine whick is probably linked to malware. DO NOT click on it and inform a page admin if you know one.

03-Jun-20

03-Jun-20
One of the best places I have found to buy chestnuts is a guy in oklahoma down by stillwater

03-Jun-20
I have been getting my chestnuts from a guy by stillwater okla. they are doing well,but I don't tube chestnuts.Don't know if it gets too hot in my area of Kansas or what

03-Jun-20
I got tangled up in 1 of my chestnut And torn about 1/2 of the bark off at the base. Will this kill the tree, what can I do to help it? Bob

03-Jun-20
Habitat, there's another guy in Chandler, OK with chestnut as well as other fruit trees if you need a backup. The chestnut trees we planted last year are all doing well in East Central OK.

03-Jun-20

03-Jun-20
#bowhunter use wound sealer from a farm supply store OR just buy a toilet wax ring seal from a hardware/plumbing supply and seal the damaged area

04-Jun-20
Thanks Fuzzy Bob

04-Jun-20
yes I agree chestnuts don't do well in tubes for some reason!

11-Sep-20
poo troll...………………...

27-Nov-20
chestnut trees do not like to be placed in tree tubes but you should at least fence them.

28-Nov-20
I put a short 1 foot tube around the base to keep rabbits and other vermin from chewing the trunk. I don’t think it affects growth.

28-Nov-20
What the hell is going on with these bots posting on this thread!?

27-Apr-21
Anyone been to Hindi to verify this? Pics?

not really, i dont care about pics

27-Apr-21
Crap, I have some chestnuts in tubes, guess I will have to take them out and fence them.

28-Jun-23
When is the best time to trim unwanted limbs?

28-Jun-23
When the trees are dormant

28-Jun-23
#bowhunter - general recommendation is to prun in the early spring. Before they leaf out but after bitter cold temps have passed. In reality the best time to prune is anytine you have time. I think the biggest risk for summer pruning is creating open wounds that could allow infects.

28-Jun-23
When the trees are dormant

• Sitka Gear