Tndeer 08-Jan-15
Nick Muche 11-Jan-15
07-Jan-15
Oh boy, here we go....

--Jim

07-Jan-15
Would love to do that!

07-Jan-15
Why does this remind me of that scene from Full Metal Jacket?

How can you shoot piglets and sows?

Easy, you just don't lead 'em so much!

07-Jan-15
I want to do that soooooooo badly!!!!!!

07-Jan-15
That will cost ya some green paper.

07-Jan-15
Matt- FYI There will likely be an expiration date on this thread.

Fun to watch, but the moderators will likely frown on that type of content on this website.

07-Jan-15

07-Jan-15
Wow, another gun post, looks like this site is allowing more and more gun posts. Maybe the name should be change from Bowsite to Bow@Gunsite,that way more gun posts can be added. I always thought this site was for the promotion of ethical hunting and delivering a quick and clean kill of the game we hunt. Some how I can't imagine shooting pigs from a moving Helo delivers a quick and humane kill, wonder how many lay and suffer for hours because some jerk off thinking he's Rambo wants to exterminate them. I guess the Pigmans moronic mentality is spreading,,too bad.

07-Jan-15
LBshooter I agree

07-Jan-15

07-Jan-15
I don't gun hunt anymore, but i'm not gonna lie....I want to do that!

07-Jan-15
Hogs are a scourge and deserve no respect. Kill em any way you can, a rusty field point comes to mind. Just like squashing a cockroach or swatting a skeeter.

07-Jan-15

07-Jan-15
Well I know some farmers who think deer are vermin due to the damage of their crops, so what would your opinion be if they shot them with a 22 and left them lay for an hour or two suffering, I think, no, I know your view would be different. I'm not against killing pigs, I just don't agree with the method. Plus I bet that some of these ranchers wanted pigs around to hunt or charge others to hunt and now regret it.

07-Jan-15
Pretty neat

07-Jan-15

07-Jan-15
so why is it when you surf the net you cant find free pig hunting everywhere?

07-Jan-15
I don't know Matt Boyd but I don't think he's a "jerk off" just because he enjoyed doing a helo-hog shoot. Notice I said "shoot" and not "hunt". I don't think anyone could honestly debate the fact that it's not a hunt, but rather a shoot.

I have no interest in the activity, I've watched the "PigMan" do it on TV and it's not for me but if it's legal, I say go for it as long as you do it responsibly.

But if you're spraying the landscape with bullets hoping to hit something and enjoying it you have to take a long hard look in the mirror regarding your ethics. We all have wounded game but it's got to be the exception to be ethical.

I hunted a ranch in North Texas and had the best spot/stalk hog hunt of my life, tons of hogs and opportunity all day long stalking through the cedar canyons. Some really big boars in that country. I went back the following year and we hardly saw any hogs, live ones that is. There were dead and rotting hogs all over the place following a helo-"hunt" that went down a week before we got there, of course unbeknownst to us.

That was just sickening.

I do disagree with Matt and others that seem to have no respect for a hog. I've bowhunted nearly all of the major big game species all over North America and I think a big boar hog is at the top of the list in difficulty on a spot and stalk hunt. You think your a real hunter, go try to walk up and kill a big boar with your bow, especially in daylight (night hunting is legal in Texas and makes things only slightly easier). If baiting were illegal you'd rarely see guys bow killing big boar hogs. That's a fact.

07-Jan-15

07-Jan-15
Zebrakiller, that is the $25K question. I would love to bowhunt pigs but try to find a place on private land that doesn't charge...

"I hate them, they do terrible damage, pay me $ and you can help me keep their numbers down..."

The American way...

07-Jan-15

07-Jan-15
So hogs, wolves, and coyotes deserve a slow painful death and should be eliminated? Funny as I would think alot of ethical hunters enjoy hunting these animals and wouldnt like them eliminated, controlled yes but not gone. I guess its the pigs fault they were let go or escaped from humans? I live up north but would like to go on a pig hunt down south but with one well placed shot as every animal deserves a quick death.

07-Jan-15
Have a look at the video, doesn't look like any of those hogs wandered off to suffer and die. Those boys are just annihilators.

That low flying over relatively open country appears pretty deadly to me.

But like I said, it's certainly not a hunt.

07-Jan-15
Matt I understand the caliber so used 308 fine, 223 from a Helo a bit light on big pigs with a body shot. As I mentioned in my first post, humane and quick kill should be what we as hunters strive for. All the deer I have shot have gone down within 60 yards or so, that's as quick and humane as possible. I just don't agree with the method and I bet that a lot of those pigs sit a suffer before expiring. I am not of the mind set as some of the killers out here that because a animal is undesirable it is therefore ok to wound and let suffer. As a hunter regardless of quarry the mission should be to kill as humanely as possible, but the attitude I see growing especially in the younger hunters is to just kill regardless. Case in point of the moronic attitude is probably best express by JamesV above, saying that killing them you can, a rusty field point comes to mind is outrageous and I submit he is not a hunter but a killer. Promoting views like his is detrimental to the hunters and the hunting community and guys like him should be shunned from the community.

07-Jan-15

07-Jan-15
"so why is it when you surf the net you cant find free pig hunting everywhere?"

Because letting strangers on to chase them around with a bow or gun will do nothing to reduce the population.

07-Jan-15

07-Jan-15

07-Jan-15
I bowhunted hogs several times in Texas and loved every minute of it, agree with those who class old hogs as a super challenging quarry for bowhunters, they are definitely no slouches. There is a ton of other game also on the low fence ranches I hunted, every trip there was great and plenty of arrows flew. The helicopter shoot would be fun no doubt but I would rather prowl around quiet with a longbow. All my Texas friends say the hogs are outta control there.

07-Jan-15
Lame, IMO. Doesn't belong here.

07-Jan-15

07-Jan-15
Half the people in Texas want them gone and the other half is trying to make a buck off them. I don't see anything changing anytime soon regarding the infestation of feral hogs in TX!

07-Jan-15
My point is not that pigs do tremendous damage, or that they are over populating states or that they are hard to control. My beef is the way and the attitude some have towards certain animals that they determine are vermin and the attitude of kill at any cost, even suggested by others to purposefully shoot with less then adequate weapons to cause suffering. Would you shoot a elk, deer , moose with,a 223? Would you'll shoot any big game animal with a field point let alone a rusty one? Why is it ok to shoot some animals with recklessness and others not? To watch a pig or coyote suffer is ok , gratifying to some but a deer or elk is taboo? Respect to all living animals that we as hunters hunt,deserve the same ethical death and we should strive for that even though it doesn't always happen.

07-Jan-15
Pretty sickening and disgusting. Call it for what it is: "killing pigs out of a helicopter." There is no hunting taking place here. When I see crap like this it reminds me of why I refuse to subscribe to the "big tent" philosophy of protecting those "hunters" whose actions are not acceptable.

07-Jan-15
Hogs are an INVASIVE SPECIES that both the F&G and landowners want gone in TX.

Equating them to predators that belong and are native to the ecosystem is not the same.

Invasive species are treated with "code red" tactics. A lake filled with invasive species will be "killed" to remove the threat. Even the Audobon society passes out kits and ways to kill sparrows.

Invasive species DO NOT fall under fair chase. You want to be mad or disgusted then blame the people who introduce these animals.

Hog management will always be viewed as kill and remove anyway possible.

You might never do a helicopter hunt but those managing the land view it as a necessity.

07-Jan-15
." And not to be dramatic here, but we all bow hunt...There are not too many super quick bow kills...One of the worst ways I would think to die is having an arrow stuck in you."

Matt, The above statement seems a little strange for a bowhunter, even one that gun hunts.

07-Jan-15
Re thought posting on this.

07-Jan-15
OP, not sure I would do it but not judging you. Please post more gun related stuff. I find it incredibly funny how grown men can get so irritated over such a trivial thing.

To those that got their panties in a bunch... the title of the post clearly suggest gun usage. My advice to you is not to click on posts with subjects that you cant emotionally handle.

I realize this is a bow forum but really? Maybe an overreaction?

07-Jan-15
"really...lame? Can you honestly say if someone were going to let you do that for free, you wouldn't do it??"

Funny you mention, I just got back from Texas. The answer is no. I like to hunt, not just kill, and I see no hunt in that. I still have a respect for hogs as a worthy adversary that deserve more. Just me.

It's fine if you enjoyed it, I just dont think it belongs here. Not only is it not hunting, it is most certainly not BOWhunting.

07-Jan-15
Killing hogs from a helicopter is just another management practice. In Kansas the state kills hogs from a chopper. Both Kansas and Oklahoma kill yotes from a chopper. It's no different than cyanide it's just another tool. Coyotes can get a partial dose of cyanide and suffer, the same for many other methods. As a hunter I want an animal to expire as quick as possible. The reason being so I can find them easier. Animals suffer in the wild every day. I just can't figure out when we gave animals human qualities and started caring about their feelings and quality of death. A dead pig is exactly that whether it is shot with a heavy arrow tipped with the sharpest broad head or filled full of lead. Just my two cents.

07-Jan-15

07-Jan-15
The folks who have an issue with this video obviously don't own land with hogs on it.

Slick video by the way. Excellent production.

07-Jan-15

07-Jan-15
What I know:

1) Rob Nye has consistently demonstrated himself as a hunter with whom I would spend both time and money.

2) Hog eradication is necessary. Very necessary.

3) Hog eradication is not accordingly "hunting" and should not be considered so.

07-Jan-15

07-Jan-15
There are lots of guys that enjoy hunting hogs so your statement "Ive just literally never met anyone that didn't want every hog they see dead"... is inaccurate.

07-Jan-15

07-Jan-15
Matt, that is a cool video. I see most of the patsy's don't have to fool with the effects of the "living, breathing creature" that they are saying deserves rights. I swear they are worse than the anti's. So in love with their idea of hunting they become bad at stewardship.

Anyways. Great Video!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I hope you kill thousands a day with no regard to the sows, piglets, or if they suffer before they die. That away's you could employ more people and feed more hungry than currently. Kill 'em all! (enter Metallica song). Yeah!!!!!!!!!!!!

Don't mind the dumb bunch or the romantics. Just do your thing. And, if you need some help, call me, I'll come and help. God Bless

07-Jan-15

07-Jan-15
Matt, To answer your question, I believe it is not any quicker of a death shooting an animal in the right spot, excluding headshots, with a gun than a bow. For the record, I was, and quite frankly still am, surprised that you threw out bowhunting as one of the cruelest ways to kill something in defense of a helicopter hog hunt. I have no problem with you killing hogs.

07-Jan-15
Ok, I wasn't going to chime in again and I figure this might die on it's own but I guess not. Matt as I stated In my posts I do not have a problem with pig hunting or shooting , I understand that they cause damage and need to be controlled. Now, has that gotten through? To compare thrill killing because when it comes down to it that's all this is, to bowhunting is absurd. Because you don't think pigs compare to others as game, a lot of hunters enjoy hunting them and to say otherwise is again absurd. As mentioned in my other posts farmers hate deer because they cause a lot of damage to the crops they grow, so under your thinking should they have the right to go out and gun down every deer they see? Each animal I am sure causes problems to folks in the areas they inhabit and yes they all to need to be controlled, but the moronic mentality of kill at any cost regardless of suffering or how they are shot is just wrong. I hunt Texas and I know land owners and they wanted pigs to hunt but now like most want them gone. You state that there is no suffering, but you have no way of knowing considering your in a helo flying over. A couple pigs in your video look like they were dead but those were the few that were seen on film , most were off camera aft a couple shots. I saw pigboy and ted do their little Helo pig hunt and there were plenty of pigs still moving after the shots and the laughing. As WV mountaineers' attitude kill them all and who cares how they die or suffer, that's the sick attitude that spreads and we as hunters should have a higher standard.

07-Jan-15

07-Jan-15

07-Jan-15
I agree with sureshot. A well placed broadhead is, at least, as peaceful a death as the hydrostatic shock delivered by a bullet. While it has never happened to me, I have seen footage of deer shot through the chest who continued to browse until it tipped over and died. I have never seen that occur with a firearm kill.

I have bowshot bear that waddled off just to keel over in a few steps.

07-Jan-15
only quitters use guns and helicopters

07-Jan-15
Check the blasphemy MattBoyd. Won't help promote the show with this crowd.

07-Jan-15
MattBoyd :

If you think a broadhead to the chest is a quicker death than a 165 grain bullet you're just kidding yourself sureshot. Ive done it and seen it both ways. Ive never ever ever ever seen an INSTANT bow kill.

You obviously don't Bowhunt Much. I have dropped several in their tracks with a bow. Some that I have shot jumped a few feet and turn around to see what just happened only to fall over dead. Gun's kill different than bows but they are definitely not more effective at killing.

And just for the record the shooter needs to practice.

Kill all you want, but don't bash the bow on bowsite. You should hunt more with the bow before you make silly remarks like that. JUST SAYING!

07-Jan-15
"only quitters use guns and helicopters"

Hahaha. I'm an avid bow hunter(love it more than anything in the world" Im also a vegetable farmer in central Florida. I kill every hog I see with whatever means I have of doing it(feeds a lot of people) I just don't own a helicopter.

07-Jan-15
I don't think I'm bashing the bow at all. Again I love bowhunting.

If me thinking a gun is going to typically cause a quicker death makes me some sort of bowhunting traitor, then I guess I'm guilty as charged. Ive taken the link off so you guys don't have to deal with it, and I'm sorry if anyones feathers got ruffled. I really didn't think twice about posting it. Good luck to you guys the rest of the season!

Edit: Well I tried to take the link off, but can't figure out where to delete it. Maybe one of the admins can just delete?

07-Jan-15
Don't take it off yet ! I ain't watched it ! Hold it .............

07-Jan-15
Wasn't near as much carnage as I thought from reading the thread. I guess some of y'all would puke if you ever saw a couple bulldogs hold a hog while a guy runs a 10" blade in his heart. Now I will freely admit that dogging hogs is not my style, but no worse than treeing lions and shooting them out of a tree. I try to kill hogs as quickly as I can, but I recognise that everyone doesn't do what I do. They ARE an invasive species, hunted and killed 24/7/365 in Texas with just about any method you can employ. And will continue to be.

08-Jan-15
Well sign me up just gotta figure on how I'm gonna get 8000.00 for a day's hunt:( Matt you should not have bowed out my pulling the link. Some of these holier than thou elitests slay me with their drive at times but They can be amusing.

08-Jan-15
Of all the Deer i have shot, none made it much more than 60 yards. LbShooter

I call BullS-IT.

08-Jan-15
LB, your argument comparing hogs to deer does not hold water. While both can cause problems for farmers, one is invasive and the other is not.

I understand where you are coming from on your thoughts about not wanting animals to suffer but the truth of the matter is that if we attempted to control this invasive species by "ethical hunting" the problem would be many times worse than it currently is and people would likely have to resort to more drastic measures that could potentially be much more painful and indiscriminate on what species was killed (poisoning etc).

08-Jan-15
Hunt man call what you want don't really care, I don't listen to idiots.

Tndeer,,whitetail deer were not native to our land they too were introduced. As I have stated over and over I know that pigs do damage and need to be controlled, my beef is the attitude that is more and more pervassive and that's the killer attitude. Pigs, coyotes,wolves bring the psychos out, ones who say gut shoot them and shoot them with rusty field points etc... Damage is damage be it a Texas rancher or a Illinois farmer I doubt one views their damage differently. I know farmers that would love to shoot every deer they see on their land, and I'm sure some do when no one is looking. My point I guess is to intentional wound and to promote that type of killing is just wrong and I expect better from folks who call themselves hunters, some just use that term but are nothing more then killers. Kill all the pigs you want but do it in a way that minimizes suffering. Matt stated that the pigs that were shot on his video dropped dead and shot multiple times, a couple that were on video were but go on you tube and watch heli hunts and most are not.

08-Jan-15
LB, when you say "our land" what exactly are you referring to? Unless I am totally crazy, whitetail and subspecies are absolutely native to nearly all of the lower 48 except a couple of places in the Southwest. It seems like one of us needs to get the facts straight.

Having said that, I understand that whitetail were reintroduced to areas in an efforts to restore herds following their severe reductions in the late 19th and early 20th century... but that does not make them non-native or invasive.

Others, am I right about this?

Maybe someone has been slipping some drugs into my daily coffee.

08-Jan-15
" Having said that, I understand that whitetail were reintroduced to areas in an efforts to restore herds following their severe reductions in the late 19th and early 20th century... but that does not make them non-native or invasive.

Others, am I right about this?"

You are correct. Whitetail deer were re-introduced in a lot of areas where they had previously existed, but that does not make them invasive. They are one of the great restoration success stories of native wildlife in the history of wildlife management and conservation.

08-Jan-15
Hunt, i was thinkin the same thing... Possible i guess, but hmmm...

08-Jan-15
Saying a bow kills as quickly as a rifle is absurd. I've never had a deer run after I shot it with a rifle except for this year, and he made it about 3 steps with the top half of his heart blown off. I've killed a lot of deer with a bow and they have all gone atleast 40 yards and taken 5 seconds to die. Some took a couple minutes, even with an arrow through the center of both lungs.

08-Jan-15
That looks like fun!

08-Jan-15
Actually, whitetails migrated to the USA many many years ago, so for this discussion I will give you the native title, but they did migrate here from the artic circle. However, there were as you know many areas of the country that did not have deer native to the area and the deer were introduced, same as pigs, and now the same as wolves and they have flourished. Again, my point is not how or when they got here or how much damage they create, I agree with most on those topics. My main complaint is the attitude that is taken toward the less desirable animals by some and the lack of respect as to the methods of how these animals are killed. Shooting from a Helo creates a lot of long suffering for a lot of pigs, and some get off on that , I do not. If it were elk, deer etc... the attitudes would change quick and those same individuals who don't mind making or seeing pigs, yotes of wolves suffer would change in a heartbeat, but I guess hypocrites are becoming all to common in the hunting community.

08-Jan-15
Wow, that is totally ridiculous. Really grasping at straws...

For someone who is so opposed to this post (and other about guns), you sure have done a good job of keeping it near the top of the board for the last couple of days. But then again, it has been a good platform for you to lecture from your soapbox.

Whatever... moving on

11-Jan-15
Looked like fun.

This Topic has been locked. Thank you.

• Sitka Gear