moon 09-Jan-15
lawdy 09-Jan-15
midwest 09-Jan-15
Jeff Durnell 11-Jan-15
trkyslr 11-Jan-15
Surfbow 11-Jan-15
Don K 11-Jan-15
08-Jan-15
Well, if someone had asked me a week ago I would have said that I doubt it. Wrong answer. Was up in my tree the other day and hear barking coming from behind. First thought was a neighbors dog but here comes a red fox running the creek and barking up a storm. Watched him run for 300 yards or so barking the whole time. A minute later here come another but this guy was quiet. Needless to say no deer appeared but still a great day in the stand.

08-Jan-15
Cool thing to see and hear. I lived on 65 acres for 13 years and got to see and hear red foxes hunt and bark almost every winter.

08-Jan-15
All the time.

08-Jan-15

elkmtngear's Link
I've heard gray foxes barking many times, we have quite a few around my place.

The title of the thread made me think of this (Sorry in advance)

Best of Luck, Jeff

08-Jan-15

loesshillsarcher's embedded Photo
loesshillsarcher's embedded Photo
This guy was communicating by morse. so I let him have it. I have heard them bark several times.

08-Jan-15
Used to raise red foxes... Yes, they make all kinds of barks, squeals, screams and squalls this time of year. It's the beginning of mating season for them...

Their peak rut is late January through early February, and pups are usually born mid to late March in my area...

08-Jan-15

KS Flatlander's embedded Photo
KS Flatlander's embedded Photo
Whenever you find yourself in deep s--t keep your mouth shut and look straight ahead!

08-Jan-15
Grays can climb trees like a cat also!

08-Jan-15
+1 on Zbone ... they (and greya) can makes some really weird and freaky sounds. In my neck of the woods, at rut, they do a very strange series of hacking sounds, followed by a single goose-honk. "Hack, hack, hack, hack...HONK". No kidding.

08-Jan-15
Yep, like Zbone I raised foxes for years as well. Many color variations of the red species. Had some tame ones too.

Waaa.... Waah.... Whut, whut, whut, WAAAH.

Those were the days.

Ewwww that smellllll.

08-Jan-15
"Waaa.... Waah.... Whut, whut, whut, WAAAH"

Cool, I couldn't figure out how to spell that sound...8^)

08-Jan-15
I'll use a "kak,kak,kak" when they squabble...8^)

08-Jan-15
You could say a bark because we relate them to a dog but.....the first time I ever heard a red fox it was screaming like a child in distress. Very strange and erry sound but we call it a bark. Took many of these wary dogs with a red light. They can't see red light and when they are coming into a call it is magical.

The Rock

08-Jan-15
Yup, had several bark at or around me.

08-Jan-15
I witnessed the same kind of thing with a pair of grey foxes a little while back...It appeared to be a female announcing her readiness for breeding, and a male trying to find her...with a lot of 'barking' that didn't sound a lot like a dog barking.

08-Jan-15
Foxes are very vocal at this time of year...

08-Jan-15
Yes they do.

Heard it on two different occasions.

Last year I had a pair run right at me and flare off at 10'. After they split, the one barked 20-30 times. (I suspect to call the other one)

And this year I had one pass by mousing. As he covered the area, he would bark every minute or so. I could keep track as it moved.

08-Jan-15

spike buck's embedded Photo
This fox sat there and barked at us as we stood there.

08-Jan-15

This cross fox pup sat on the log talking to the other fox.

08-Jan-15

08-Jan-15
KS.... LOL! funny as heck, made my day....

and whenever traveling to a place no one has ever heard of....

always wear the fox hat.....

09-Jan-15
Had a couple of reds for pets when I was a kid. I'd let them out in my bedroom at night and they would run around on the hardwood floor and I'd never hear a sound..until they barked. Weird sounding bark.

Don't know that I've ever smelled an animal pen that stunk as much as a fox's. Kept them in a cage outside during the night.

09-Jan-15
When I told my parents I was headed to Octor Mocti, they said "Wear the fox hat".

09-Jan-15
The ones I heard were more of a cough,not definate bark MN& WIS

09-Jan-15
Had them bark at me as I approached a trap. Had a 55 pound solid black coyote bark just like a dog, growl, and lunge at me last winter. I did a double take on that one. My granddaughter, 7 at the time, trapped him with a #2 3/4 double coil. I would not let her near him while I dispatched him as he was really vicious and on a grapple. I will see if I can have my daughter in law post a picture of that guy because he was huge. My granddaughter sold him to a taxidermist and got 55 bucks for him. Our trapping and hunter safety classes up here are getting as many females as males. Actually more girls than boys took the last trapping class. Good news. The bowhunting classes are similar.

09-Jan-15
I've heard them a few times. Use to have an active den close to my house. They make all sorts of weird noises at times.

This is not my video....just googled it up.

11-Jan-15
I noticed my tame foxes made a wider variety of vocalizations than the others... at least in my presence. I miss them little buggers.

11-Jan-15
Grays do whr I live and in the dark close by if one barks it will raise the hair

11-Jan-15
One night my wife and I were awakened by what I can only describe as someone beating a sack of cats on the front lawn, turned out to be two red foxes getting a little, um, amorous...those things make some crazy noises!

11-Jan-15
Last year we had a den of foxes right behind the house into the hillside (15 yards from our bedroom window)

It was really neat watching all the little ones move around the hillside but man it sure messed up our sleep. The two adults would bark at all hours waking the whole house up.

• Sitka Gear