Aubs8 14-Mar-15
g5smoke21 14-Mar-15
g5smoke21 11-Jul-15
SteveB 11-Jul-15
Hawkeye 11-Jul-15
g5smoke21 11-Jul-15
Bou'bound 11-Mar-16
04-Feb-15
I am planning a goat hunt with Troy from Beaverfoot Outfitters in Golden B.C. for 2017 and need some advice. This will be my first extreme mountain type hunt (I have hunted mountain lion / deer in CO) The hunt is going to take place the end of September into early October. First off if anyone has any advice on gear that is necessary to bring that would be great and very helpful. Also I currently have a full Sitka whitetail system from early season to late season to rain gear, will I be able to use this gear or should I invest in Sitka open county? What is a good goat hunting boot? Any advice that can be given would be greatly appreciated. Thanks guys!

04-Feb-15
There are a bunch of great threads here under the mountain goat forum with a lot of great gear recommendations. Rokslide is another great site for mountain hunting gear. I don't have any experience goat hunting but have been on a few mountain hunts I do own a bunch of gear. Personally I don't think the Sitka whitetail line is well suited to a goat hunt. Could it be used? Sure. But I think you're better off with items from their big game line. Sitka is very much an application based hunting system and the whitetail line is suited best to treestand hunting IMO.

04-Feb-15
Think oz and not lbs. wear outerwear for 10-14 days. Same with baselayer (merino wool).

Think about if clothing gets wet and how long to dry. Whitetail gear is not designed for Mtn environments. Go with biggame. Kuiu stuff fits the bill too.

04-Feb-15
Thanks for the advice Jason and Russell. That's kind of what I was thinking I would have to do.

04-Feb-15
I will be doing that hunt the year before with them. Looking forward to it. Did you book through BSC also?

04-Feb-15
Bou...no i did not. i have been talking with Troy for a year or so about doing the hunt and was originally going to go in 2016. Seems like a great operation he has going and its also nice that a charter flight to get to camp isnt required. I look forward to seeing how your hunt goes

04-Feb-15
I've been on a number of sheep and goat hunts and have had great luck with Lowa Tibet boots. I would also advise socks similar to Thorlos that have additional padding in the bottom of the socks. I always toss the insoles that come with the boots and add insoles that work well with my particular feet. Having additional padding often helps when hiking on rock all day for a week! I would agree buy the best raingear you can afford. I would also suggest an excellent pair of light/compact carbon trekking poles.

04-Feb-15
I have hunted with goats with troy on two separate occasions, its a fantastic hunt!!!!! Id be happy to answer any questions that you have. Feel free to pm message me. Jesse W

04-Feb-15
Take care of your bow... Wish I would have.

04-Feb-15
Thanks Jesse ill be sure to ask if i have any more questions. Nick i hear ya my first mountain type hunt was for my lion and that rim rock really put a beating on my current bow at the time

04-Feb-15
I will echo some of the above. I have been very happy with my Lowa boots. I would look to a little different clothing system as well. I personally like Kuiu, but certainly other good systems available. Rain gear, get the best you can afford, period. Not sure of the type of hunt you are doing, but a good pack can make a huge differance as well, most guys whitetail packs just won't cut it.

And I'm sure you know, but get in shape, goat country is no joke.

--Jim

04-Feb-15

Nick Muche's MOBILE embedded Photo
Nick Muche's MOBILE embedded Photo

Have fun, I bought a Primos bowsling and will use it from now on...

05-Feb-15
Yeah that Sitka late season gear is way too heavy. It will be wet. Top of the line rain gear, Kryptec or Sitka would be my preference. You're not going to want real heavy gear while climbing, and you WILL be climbing. Great some very good boots, Meindel's or Kenetrek are the first that come to mind, break them in with the same thickeness of socks you will be wearing. I would climb in a mountain pant and if necessary light insulated bottoms under. Top first light wool (long sleeve) and a jacket. Would pack wool sweater, down coat, for glassing as well as a Took. Get a good sleeping system, you'll also need a pack, Kifaru period. I'll see if I have my pack list somewhere, but there's plenty of info on earlier posts on Bowsite.

05-Feb-15
All those guys are giving you good info. I used lowa tibets on my hunt with Lathrop and sons synergy footbeds . Your feet are the most important thing on that hunt. Also poly liner socks with smartwool and first lite merino wool socks on top worked really great at keeping my feet nice and dry. Bring duct tape for blisters just in case... Good set of retractable trekking poles is a must imo ! I used a Kuiu sleeping bag with thermarest sleeping pad under it. Most of my clothing was Kuiu and I loved it but there's plenty of other options like others said. Bring everything u think u will need as for as gadgets and then before u head up the mountain leave just about all of them at lodge cause u won't need most of it lol. Get in best shape u can and MOST importantly have fun and stay positive !!! Kota-man did an October hunt I'm sure he could also give u lots of info . Good luck!!!!!

05-Feb-15

Russell's Link
Regarding boots, I called Lathrop & Sons and spoke to Stephen Lathrop. Explained the hunting condition and time of year the hunt will take place. From there he recommend a pair of boots. Bought a pair of their Footbeds too.

All feet are not created equal. Figure out from a professional (Lathrop & Sons) what boot may work best for you. Break them in while conditioning/training for that mountain hunt.

My boots for this kind of hunt are Lowa Tibet GTX HI non-insulated.

05-Feb-15
All good advice. I would make sure that I had a set of the lighter Sitka or Kuiu mountain hunting clothing as well as some heavier clothing. That time of year, you will likely run into some cold weather and snow. You will have to do some climbing and the lighter gear is more conducive to that activity. You may need some warmer clothing to put on when glassing. Think layering. Absolutely no cotton. You will get wet and you need clothing that dries quickly. Lathrop & Sons are a great resource for boots. I have flat feet and wore Meindels for years and almost always got blisters. Steven Lathrop put me into some Lowas with their foot beds and I have used them on three mountain hunts now with no blisters. I have hunted with Troy. He is a great guy and will work hard for you. I suspect that you will be using horses to get into goat country. You will still need to hike a fair amount, but I doubt that you will need to carry all of your gear on your back at any one time. That can make a huge difference on what gear that you ultimately take. For example, you may be able to take a smaller pack. Even if you use horses, you need to be in shape. I have been on five goat hunts and I would only call one relatively easy! Definitely take a bow sling. And at the risk of getting flamed, if you REALLY want to take a goat with your bow, leave your rifle at home. Good luck, you are going with some great people.

05-Feb-15
I agree with a lot of what has been said already. Get some merino wool, I love First Lite. Trekking poles come in very handy. Good rain gear is a must, buy the best that you can afford. Get a bow sling. If you carry your bow and arrows on your back pack, make sure your arrows are secure. I lost an entire quiver full of arrows on my hunt. No matter what boots you get, wear them in similar conditions as you will hunt in. Same socks, steep hills, inclines, etc. If you don't have mountains, find a stair climber and incline treadmill, strap on your back pack and boots and get going. Flat ground will not break them in good enough in my experience. Not only will the inclines break in your boots, it will get you in better shape. I would start a least 2 months out, longer the better. Good luck!!!

05-Feb-15
I'll add a bit more as well. If you are going to be hunting from a spike camp, weight is going to be a big thing. For clothing, I think a system that includes a base layer, mid layer, insulating layer, and rain layer is what you want.

Base Layer -- lightweight merino. I like First Lite merino

Mid layer -- this would likely be your main hunting layer. A heavier weight merino like a FL Chama or something like the Sitka Traverse is great.

Insulating layer -- puffy jackets are your friend on extreme mountain hunts. I like the FL Uncompaghre and also have the Sitka Kelvin and Kuiu Superdown which are both nice. A vest can also add a lot of versatility for insulation -- the FL Springer and the Sitka Jetstream are two that come to mind.

Rain layer -- you may be living in this stuff given the stories I've read on goat hunts. I have the Kuiu Chugach and the FL Boundary Stormtight (jacket and pants) and would probably bring them both.

Pants -- A robust mountain pant coupled with a pair of long johns would serve you well. Sitka Mountain or Timberline pant or the Kuiu Attack pant would work well.

How much to bring is something you'll have to determine. Again, you certainly can't get away with carrying an outfit for each day but you'll also want to make sure you have dry clothes so you'll want something to change into. SDHUNTR wrote a great thread on his goat hunting experience that goes into detail on some of this http://forums.bowsite.com/tf/bgforums/thread.cfm?forum=13&threadid=435454&MESSAGES=70&FF=13

I would definitely bring some trekking poles. You may want to look into some Kahtoola Microspikes or crampons as well (maybe ask your outfitter about what they recommend). As others have mentioned, my next extreme hunt I'm packing a sling to protect my bow strings and cams.

Keep in mind I've been on all of ZERO goat hunts but have done other mountain hunts and have been researching the heck out of this because I plan on going on a goat hunt in the next two years.

05-Feb-15

LWood's embedded Photo
LWood's embedded Photo
I agree with all the advice above. I killed a goat with Bolen Lewis last August with a bow. I wore Kenetrek boots and KUIU everything else, even had a KUIU pack. Practice shooting at angles and be in the best shape of your life. Most of the hunt is mental.

To borrow a line from my friend MadTrapper, "Never, ever, ever quit!!!"

05-Feb-15
Thanks everyone i really do appreciate all the help. I live in Wisconsin so its pretty flat but am in great shape and have a stair stepper and incline tread at work that i can use. Im pumped and hope the wait goes fast. Thanks again to all

05-Feb-15
A high school football/soccer stadium might be your newest best friend. Do the stairs and get a good burn going in them legs.

Enjoy your hunt.

05-Feb-15
Go into your shower, turn it on cold. Crawl in and don't come out for 5 days. While in there, just imagine your lungs screaming and your legs burning, as that is what a goat hunt is like.

I wrote a thread about my goat hunt experience and went through gear in detail. I could pull it back up if you need me to.

05-Feb-15
I have been on three BC Mt goat hunts. I hunted with Troy in 08. Great outfitter and guide! Beaverfoot's hunts are conducted a little different than the other two backpack style hunts I did. On the first two hunts the hardest part was getting into the country where the goats lived. It might mean a day or two of hard climbing just to get into goat country but once you are there not so bad until you pack out. Depending on the weather of course.

With Beaverfoot for the most part you will be returning to a comfortable lodge each night for a great home cooked meal and warm bed. The down side you will most likely have a hard climb each and every hunting day to get to where the goats live. Be in shape and you won't be disappointed.

05-Feb-15
Jack...How did you do with Troy in 08?

05-Feb-15
sdhtr yes pull up the old thread please

05-Feb-15
X2 Bou on the gear detail thread please

05-Feb-15

bigeasygator's Link
SDHNTR's thread was the one I linked to. Lemme see if I can get the actual link to work this time...it's a great read for anyone planning a goat hunt.

05-Feb-15
Thanks Jason!

05-Feb-15

LostLefty's embedded Photo
I hunted with Troy last fall. He runs a great camp and is an excellent guide. Plenty of goats to CLIMB after. The key is light weight gear. I was really happy with the gear I used. pm me is you want any more info. Here is what I wore.

Kenetrek mountain extreme non-insulated Firstlite Allegheny bottom/top (took two pair) KUIU - attack pants (2 pair) KUIU - guide jacket KUIU - superdown hooded jacket Kuiu - chugach rain jacket/pants smartwool socks (4 or 5 pair) mystery ranch crew cab backpack trecking poles Easton arrow tube*** this was great to protect and keep all my arrows during a climb.

I wore everything at least once. I think I could have done without the guide jacket and just wore the rain jacket but it fairly noisy. Troy's location helps with less rain than a typical goat hunt. It only rained one day during my 10 day hunt. I would get a black bear tag if you can. I had a great time stalking them after I got my goat.

05-Feb-15
What have you guys worn for gloves? I usually wear thin cheap gloves or my thin merino, seems like this hunt could use something better.

05-Feb-15
I liked the guide glove from KUIU. With all the climbing, I was constantly grabbing brush to pull myself up.

06-Feb-15
Guide gloves from Kuiu were awesome for grabbing rocks pulling yourself up during climbs .

07-Feb-15
The last thing I would spend big money on are gloves. Buy yourself a $10 pair of pvc commercial fishing gloves and wear $5 ragg wool gloves under. Far more waterproof, durable and functional than anything fancy.

07-Feb-15
Thanks again everyone for all the good advice! All very helpful in planning and preparation

09-Feb-15
I'm sure it has ben said but NUMBER ONE must is two hiking sticks and get use to using them before your hunt

09-Feb-15
LostLefty and westgac, PM sent, thanks for any help you can give.

10-Feb-15
I think the biggest thing to ruin an ARCHERY goat hunt and turn it into a RIFLE KILL is returning to a lodge every day.

If you have one stalk that doesn't work out or you miss a shot often the goat will just run into the cliffs and stand there looking at you, 150-400 yds away. Then the thought of hiking all the way back to the lodge and then back up again the next day is overwhelming. Your guide has a rifle and he is happy to have the hunt done, boom, a rifle kill. Nothing wrong with that if you are happy with a rifle kill.

All the latest gear in the world won't help you out. Unless you are a year round athlete with lots of mountain hiking experience and you enjoy back to back, day after day of brutal hikes it won't be an archery kill. Well it could be, you just better kill it on the first hike.

For a bowhunt I would want to hunt an area where I can live close to the goats, out of treeline and have the ability to move camp to another goat area without having to drop a ton of elevation and descend back into the trees.

Kuiu or Sitka clothes and Miendl boots. Kuiu Icon pro 7200 backpack, foolish to buy any other pack.

10-Feb-15
Mike is 100%. You want to spike out with the goats. Or as close as possible anyway. 3000'+ technical climbs everyday is a recipe for burnout.

10-Feb-15
Desenex foot powder. Not for your feet.

10-Feb-15
...more of the same.

Ex-Officio briefs or boxer-briefs, Kuiu base layer, Cabela's Micro-tex mid-layer, RAB insulated jacket, Sitka Storm-Front Hard-shell.

I wear Koflach's, but kennetrek's are fine, probably better for a bowhunter.

Black diamond gaitors and trekking poles.

Read Kota-man's pack thread. I use a Barney's.

I use Firm-Grip gloves from home-depot, hey it's only $10, if it's really cold then under-armour light glove as a liner and kuiu Northstar as the outer glove.

...might want to invest in a pair of white cover-alls, I use the painter suits from home depot, again $10. especially if it snows, or you have to cross a wide open area in plain view.

I agree with some of the previous posts, returning to the lodge everyday or riding horses out everyday will really suck the motivation out of you. Better to get to the hunt area and camp out right on them until your shot develops.

...good luck and have fun, goat hunts are a special kind of suffering.

11-Feb-15
The meat is underrated....especially if you own a jaccard meat tenderizer.

11-Feb-15
Jake,

Not sure if I ever thanked you for helping me spend my money, but per your recommendation, I purchased a Jaccard. Works great.

Thanks again for helping me spend money. :)

11-Feb-15
How did you guys get your meat and hides home. I will be flying from calgary to green bay WI

11-Feb-15
I flew back with my cape in one of my bags . My guide had hide salted , dried and folded up like a blanket so it fit very easily . I took meat home frozen in a cooler

14-Feb-15
I put my hide in a roll up dry bag, then in a duffle bag. My meat had already been processed and frozen so I just put it in with my clothing. I was leery of doing this but it was still frozen solid when my flight got back to Michigan. I was surprised at how wonderful the meat is.

14-Feb-15
Brian did you take the duffle bag as a carry on or check it with your other luggage?

15-Feb-15

I checked my duffle bag. Since the cape had been salted for 5 days, I wasn't as worried if the airline lost it for a day or so. I used my backpack as my carry on. I kept my binos, rangefinder, etc. with me. I had two checked bags on my way out and three on my way home. One bag was my bow case.

15-Feb-15

I checked my duffle bag. Since the cape had been salted for 5 days, I wasn't as worried if the airline lost it for a day or so. I used my backpack as my carry on. I kept my binos, rangefinder, etc. with me. I had two checked bags on my way out and three on my way home. One bag was my bow case.

15-Feb-15
Ok i have not hunted outside the US since i was a freshman in high school i did a bear hunt in Ontario. My question is what exactly did you guys have to do or what forms did you have filled out to bring your goat back home. Thanks again Nick

15-Feb-15
Your outfitter will know what to do. Don't stress it...

15-Feb-15
Awesome thanks!

16-Feb-15
I have hunted in high elevation 3 times. First time, I was in good shape for walking along sidewalks at sea level with 70 pound backpacks. My lungs gave out after the first two hours and my legs lasted just two days on that hunt and then I was on fumes but did manage to shoot a goat. I could plod along but no spring left on the uphill stuff and my core strength also lessened so if I started to fall could not regain my balance.

Next two hunts went much better though I was a few years older. I got into better shape, paced myself once arrived on the mountain, hydrated properly, rested if got winded, got 6 hours of sound sleep a night using eyepatch/ear plugs,AdvilPM,ate snacks each day between meals.

Gear is important. Marksmanship is important. The mental ability to put one foot in front of the other with as much passion whether is sunrise Day 1 or minutes after a blown stalk. Things will go wrong. Count on it. Take some pictures. Get a drink of water. Keep excited that in a few weeks you will wish you were back right here on the mountain no matter how much your lungs are burning or how exhausted your body feels or how tender the bruises are from the tumbles and slides.

16-Feb-15
dreaded double post

16-Feb-15

MATHEWSSHOOTER's embedded Photo
MATHEWSSHOOTER's embedded Photo
train alot I started carrying 1 45lbs plate in the spring than by july carried 2 45 lb plates on my pack walking 5 miles every other day .also shot my bow with my pack on

27-Feb-15
Do not forget the trekking poles. Very valuable equipment. As someone mentioned, you need two.

I used the Lowa Bighorn Hunters on my 2013 Dall hunt in AK. I got them off Shoebuy.com with a 25% off coupon. Great boot and my guide thought so too.

If you have a local university football stadium, put weights in a backpack and climb. I wore a pocket t-shirt and would climb in the mornings with my phone blasting Pandora. Music distracts from the pain. I know a guy who took an iPod on his mtn hunts and recommends them for when you start going vertical.

27-Feb-15
Treewalker nailed it with his post.. The physical side is harder than you can imagine. The mental... Even harder. Get through and the payoff is indescribable.

27-Feb-15
Thanks again every one for all the info and advice. A huge plus I have working on my side if my age. Im only 24 and will be 27 while on the hunt. I don't mean to sound cocky because I know there is a ton of older guys here that would kick my butt in the mountains. Im just meaning that like a lot of guys around here (WI) let the beer and cheese get to them and cant physically do hunts like this as they age. I am also very physical and work out a lot. I found a great leg workout is running peaks in resistance on the elliptical. I have also been doing stairs at home with a loaded pack. And Kscowboy, yes doing that with music going defiantly helps keep my mind off the burn. It has been especially nice being able to talk with some of you on the phone. So a special thanks to you guys. This will be my dream hunt and a great experience. A lot of my friends say im nuts to spend money like this when im so young but hey you only live once!!

14-Mar-15

14-Mar-15

4FINGER's embedded Photo
4FINGER's embedded Photo
Solid advice already given...The Physical/Mental part can't be overstated...My advice would be "Suck it ALL In"...Greatest Hunt Adventure of my Life so Far...Good Luck...4finger

14-Mar-15
I'm no expert but have been lucky enough to have gone on both a goat and sheep hunt in the last few years. Most of the advice I received came from Bowsite which I previously sent to "Smoke."

If your hunt requires horses, bring warm clothes and gloves. I wore snowmobile gloves.

I would highly recommend a rain suit like Helly Hansen Impertech II as well as a light-weight, packable one.

Wear your boots up to 50 times prior to your hunt. I soaked them in water and hiked until they were dry several times. Footcare is a must.

Bring a neck gator-type piece of clothing in the event you're pinned-down or stuck on a peak without shelter. The two guys I was with would have killed to have had mine when I pulled it out of my pack after the winds picked-up on top of the Brooks Range after a 3 hour hike.

For me, the best way to prepare was to put 30-40 lbs. in a pack and hike up to 2 hours/day 4 times per week up until 2 weeks before you go. Find inclines if you can. Let your body recover over the last two weeks by hiking without the weight.

There is no question you have to prepared mentally to go up the mountain each day with no guarantee of success.

The only things you can control are your mental attitude, your conditioning and your shooting.

When you come down the mountain on that last day, you need to know in your heart you gave it everything you had and had more to give, if necessary.

And, that advice from someone who brought a rifle. :) I have the greatest respect for those who have got it done with a bow. I can honestly say I would have come home empty-handed both times if I had a bow... not because of a lack of effort, determination or ability but because I would not have had an opportunity. 350 yards on the last day and 250 yards on what turned-out to be the last huntable day was as close as I was able to get.

Best of luck. Mike

14-Mar-15
Thanks Mike for the advice...very appreciated!

11-Jul-15
I just received my order from Sitka for some gear. I bought Core Merino 230gm 1/4 zip, 3 pair merino boxer, Ascent Pant, Ascent Jacket, Kelvin Lite Hoody Jacket, Timberline Pant, Jetstream Jacket, Stika Cap, Sitka Beanie, Shooter Glove, and Jetstream Glove. as well as dowmpour pant and jacket. I have a question with base layers though, I am going to buy first lite, Would you but 230 gm, or 300 gm? this hunt is late September into early October. also what are you guys liking for socks. I was thinking first lite athlete triad sock with kenetrek boots. Thanks again guys and good luck to all that will be hunting them this year.

11-Jul-15
230g is already heavy for a first layer....I would certainly go no heavier. I'd rather have two layers that equal 300/rather than one. I prefer around 200g but not afraid to even go lighter.

11-Jul-15
Get the llano crew or SS (170) and then us a chama over it (230). The EXP is 400 weight and too heavy unless keep in tent and use to sleep in only. I think 230 is too heavy for base with goats.

11-Jul-15
Awesome...thanks guys

11-Mar-16
Any more insights on this topic would be appreciated.

• Sitka Gear