chasintheslam 23-Feb-15
eddie c 23-Feb-15
writer 23-Feb-15
azarchery 23-Feb-15
chasintheslam 23-Feb-15
BruinPoint 23-Feb-15
chasintheslam 23-Feb-15
23-Feb-15
what size cooler do I need to take to put javelin in? im driving from Colorado to big bend, theres a two javelin limit so if I am successful what size would I need to cool them in.. thank you

23-Feb-15
Are you bringing them whole to have them mounted or just the meat? Javelina aren't very big so the meat from 2 quartered javelinas would only fill about 1/2 of a 54 quart cooler and leave plenty of room for ice.

23-Feb-15
im just bringing the meat home with me.. thank you ill just grab one from walmart

23-Feb-15
An average boned out javelina fits in 3 or 4 gallon size bags. Double that plus ice.

23-Feb-15
I have a 25qt brute box would you think boned out itll fit in that? ill prob field cook some up that night if I get one

23-Feb-15
you can always stop and buy an extra cooler if you need it.

23-Feb-15
Have fun, keep us updated on your hunt.

Glad you plan on eating them.

Interesting, that in Texas, where they're fed corn, most locals won't even dream of eating a javelina.

In Arizona and New Mexico, where the little stink-pigs have to work for al living, the hunters treat them like a respectable big game animal.

23-Feb-15
they make great chorizo, or summer sausage.

23-Feb-15
I will write up a story for the hunt for sure.. and yes I will eat a lot of things just gotta be cooked right

23-Feb-15
I would say 25qt would be too small for 2 pigs and a 48qt would be about right - you'll want a good bit of ice for the drive. Good on you for planning for the meat. Everyone has liked smoked javelina/venison/pork summer sausage I made a while back. Going to do snack sticks (like Slim Jims) with this year's, and maybe Italian sausage.

23-Feb-15
the meat is one of the most important things to plan on any hunt imo. I think ima try slow cooked, some jerky and javelin fajitas

• Sitka Gear