SS75 13-Mar-15
deerhaven 16-Mar-15
BDA 07-Apr-15
JTreeman 07-Apr-15
BDA 08-Apr-15
Hawkeye 08-Apr-15
12-Mar-15
Gentlemen-

I would like to take a monster mountain lion. I believe that this will be a "once in a lifetime" type hunt, so I would like to do it right the first time. From doing some limited research, it seems like Byron Stewart, Jay Fuller and Noah Wiggins are the guys that should be on the top of anyone's list for getting a B&C mountain lion.

So, for those guys that have hunted with them... What made you choose one over the other? I am willing to spend a little more and wait a little longer if anyone thinks there is a noticeable difference. Otherwise, I think I'll be booking with Jay Fuller because it looks like he has an opening before 2018/2019!

I appreciate any of your thoughts.

Very Respectfully-

Jeremy

12-Mar-15

Hawkeye's embedded Photo
Hawkeye's embedded Photo
I have hunted with Jay and Byron, and a good friend hunted with Noah few years ago. All were great.

Byron seems to have more remote access, as the unit I hunted with Jay had more Calgary traffic. I wouldnt go around Christmas time as you may deal with Xmas tree cutters in many areas your hunting cats. Makes cutting tracks tough when dealing with dogs, wolves, people and cougars :)

Cant go wrong with Byron or Jay- both are tough as nails. I am sure Noah is similar. Both will hunt until the last second of the last day. Cant really go wrong with either outfitter IMO.

12-Mar-15
Hawkeye,

I forgot what a toad your lion was! A horse killer to boot if I remember right?!

Mark

12-Mar-15
Pm sent

12-Mar-15

Bou'bound's embedded Photo
Bou'bound's embedded Photo
I took my son to hunt with Byron last year and am hunting with Jay next year.

I can't imagine anyone could be better than Byron. I literally don't know how it would be possible when factoring in his personal experience, his hunting area, the cougar mgt program in the province overall, the customized system he uses in his area, the quality and breadth of the equipment he deploys, and the number and tenure of the crew he has working for him.

One thing I do know with absolute indisputable certainty............you won't find anyone more expensive than Byron. You probably won't find anyone even remotely close. Andd by cloe I mean he is 25% or more above the next most expensive outfitter and probably 40% or more above average costs for the area.

You'll also need to book 3 years out.

also, he holds 8 of the 24 NR tags allocated annually for the entire province

12-Mar-15

Waterfowler's embedded Photo
Waterfowler's embedded Photo
What 'bou said.

12-Mar-15
Welcome back Brad! Good to see ya. Hope all is well:)

Nice cat BTW ;)

12-Mar-15

JTreeman's embedded Photo
JTreeman's embedded Photo
Jay is great as well. Never hunted with Byron, and honestly I will not pay his price. Nothing against those who will and there are plenty, but just too rich for my blood.

I hunted with Jay this year and was very pleased. I would be happy to answer any specific questions you have.

I did t kill the biggest cat in Alberta, but certainly no dink either!!!

--Jim

13-Mar-15

SS75's embedded Photo
SS75's embedded Photo
I'll cast a vote for Noah, his hunts are 10 days, which is nice because you have a little time to be picky. I can't imagine spending 10 days hunting with Noah and not killing a bruiser of a Tom... He's just got too big and too good of an area, plus his dogs & team of helpers/guides are top notch!

13-Mar-15
SS75 I'll be with Noah in Jan 16. I see he has raised his prices also but he's booking out several years. Luckily I got in under his old pricing.

13-Mar-15
Redneck hunter, some of the finest people you'll ever meet. Noah is an exceptional houndsman and knows that country like the back of his hand. Great people, beautiful country, great experience, I promise you won't be sorry!!

Scott

16-Mar-15

deerhaven's embedded Photo
deerhaven's embedded Photo
Jeremy

I have hunted with Jay a couple of times and he and his crew are great guys. His dogs are just peaking out right now with a deep line up with plenty of experience. Most importantly he only has 3 non resident tags so he can offer a little more personal attention to his hunters. His price does not hurt quite so bad either. I have not hunted with the other outfitters and sure they are great. I know who I would go with if I would ever need another cat. Feel free to PM me if you have any particular questions about Jay or my hunt. He just told me he will in Phoenix for P&Y if you plan on being there. It is always nice to meet a guy face to face and look him in the eye if you are planning on spending this kind of money

07-Apr-15
Gentlemen-

Mark at BSC received my deposit for a lion hunt with Jay Fuller in '16/'17. Thank you for the recommendations. I will be sure to show my wife this thread when she realizes what she has just allowed me to actually do!

I went with Jay mainly because he had an opening before '18/'19. Noah and Byron were booked out that far, and their prices are very similar now. From what I could tell, most people agreed that Jay, Noah and Byron are the three guys to hunt with. I doubt that I will be disappointed.

Also, Mark at BSC was excellent. I'm glad I went through him. Again, that decision was made partially based upon recommendations from this site.

Jeremy

07-Apr-15
No, don't show your wife!!!! Show her when you get home. Or maybe even after you get the taxidermy done.

Good luck. I'm sure you will have a quality hunt with Jay. He did tell me that he will be at the P&Y convention in AZ next week, so if you are ther would be a great time to meet up with him.

--Jim

08-Apr-15
Jim-

That is good advice! I'll miss the P&Y Convention... moving from Hawaii back to the mainland in a couple of weeks. Hopefully I'll be able to attend next year.

Jeremy

08-Apr-15
Good luck!

• Sitka Gear